• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some tips for achieving a visually appealing microwave cake?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of making microwave cakes, including using a fluted stone, a rice cooker, and a 3-2-1 recipe. The participants share their experiences with these methods and how the cakes turn out in terms of appearance and taste. They also give tips for improving the appearance of the cakes, such as letting them sit before turning them out of the pan. Despite some challenges, the participants agree that the microwave cakes are convenient and tasty, and they enjoy making them for others.
Aun
Gold Member
Hi! I recently made one of the microwave cakes in the fluted stone using chocolate cake mix and putting the icing in it before cooking (hopefully that makes sense). The cake tasted great, but it looked terrible! I've been wanting to try the microwave Strawberry Cheesecake Cake but I was wondering how it comes out looking. I think part of the reason that my chocolate cake looked so weird is dumping the icing in before cooking, but I'm not 100% sure on that. So, my questions are: 1)Does everybody's micro cake with icing put in before cooking look like a mess? and 2)If you don't put the icing in before cooking does it come out looking like a normal (oven baked) cake? THANKS!

The chocolate hazelnut cake made in the rice cooker is awesome. It looks just like out of the oven.

i did a strawberry with white icing. it was not as pretty as regular cakes but it did nto look too bad either. i know that does not help much! it tasted wonderful though!

My thoughts on the issue are that when you put the icing in, it melts and drops to the bottom of the pan which takes up room of where the cake would normally be, which makes it an irregular shape, then when you turn it onto a plate the icing just flows down the sides. I have heard that if you let it sit for a half hour or so before you turn it onto a plate it sets up a bit more. So you're notreally looking for it to be pretty, IMO, just taste awesome, which it makes the most moist cake when the icing is in it before cooking. I have heard some call it a lava cake or something else, I can't recall at the moment.

I love to take this to work and make it for people's birthdays or holidays, snack days and so forth. They are just amazed at it being done in the microwave. In fact since this was our last day for a week of vacation shut down I made one in the rice cooker, everyone comes running, lol, and I sold ANOTHER one.

Every single microwave cake that I have made is UGLY!!!! They don't look a bit like the ones cooked in the oven. They taste okay....but I do have to admit that I'm a bit of a cake snob...I'm a 'from scratch baker' and don't like cake mixes to begin with (that could be a big part of my problem) . My husband even made me promise that I wouldn't make any more micro-cakes....so I just practice when he's not home.....

I keep trying because I really want to demo this at a show for cross selling the rice cooker and fluted stone. I did try the 3-2-1 cake the other day with Devil's Food cake mix, 3 eggs and 2 cups sour cream.....it was much better than just following the directions on the cake mix box.....still kinda ugly though. I did it in the rice cooker and afterward followed the rest of the instructions for the Turtle Fudge Skillet cake....not too bad....and that's a compliment coming from a self proclaimed cake snob!:rolleyes:

I make the microwave cake at my shows all the time.....the one done in the Fluted Stoneware Pan. At first they used to be kinda deformed looking but then someone told me to invert the cake on to the serving plate and leave the stone on for at least 10 minutes. That little trick worked and the cakes have been coming out awesome ever since. I've never tried to put the icing in the cake batter with the fluted pan, only with the rice cooker cake (which definitely needs to sit before you turn it over) But it sounds cool to try!!! I think I'll be making a cake today!! Another thing I've found with the Fluted pan is to always oil it before making the cake no matter how seasoned it looks.

pamperedlinda said:
Every single microwave cake that I have made is UGLY!!!! They don't look a bit like the ones cooked in the oven. They taste okay....but I do have to admit that I'm a bit of a cake snob...I'm a 'from scratch baker' and don't like cake mixes to begin with (that could be a big part of my problem) . My husband even made me promise that I wouldn't make any more micro-cakes....so I just practice when he's not home.....

I keep trying because I really want to demo this at a show for cross selling the rice cooker and fluted stone. I did try the 3-2-1 cake the other day with Devil's Food cake mix, 3 eggs and 2 cups sour cream.....it was much better than just following the directions on the cake mix box.....still kinda ugly though. I did it in the rice cooker and afterward followed the rest of the instructions for the Turtle Fudge Skillet cake....not too bad....and that's a compliment coming from a self proclaimed cake snob!:rolleyes:

Linda,
I'm a cake snob too! I'm so glad you posted - because I always seem to be in the vast minority when it comes to Microwave cakes! I've tried and tried, but I just think they never have the look or texture of a "real" cake. My husband doesn't like them either! (Because he's spoiled!) It's probably because I was a Personal Chef in my other life (before baby & PC), and when I look at food, it's with the thought of how it looks to the client.....there are several PC recipes that get rave reviews from everyone - but I won't make them for shows, because they don't present well - and as I always tell guests at shows - "We eat with our eyes first!" I just want my food to look as good as it tastes!
I will say though that any of the "microwave" cakes, can also be done in the Family Skillet and I often do those for shows! Or I make them in the fluted stone and bake it in the oven - I cross sell the stone by talking about how wonderful a roasted chicken is done in that stone - just like a Rotisserie Chicken!

Last edited:
As I read the posts about microwave cakes, I had to comment. They will not
have the golden exterior that an oven baked cake does. However, if you are
going to cover them with frosting, or they are Chocolate, it is not a serious issue. The Rice Cooker Chocolate cake that some call the Lava cake can be
a big mess. Our second effort solved that by not putting the frosting in the
batter. Wait until your cake is completely baked (10 minutes in most revolving platter microwaves I have used), then spread about 3 tablespoons of frosting on the top and it will melt and drip down the sides. It looks like a Gourmet cake and generally is dense and very moist. Small slices are more than enough and it can easily serve 12.
ALL THE BEST has a recipe on pg. 123 for a Quick Pumpkin Spice Cake,
with the Chocolate Cherry Cake as a Variation, that is microwaved in the Fluted Stoneware. I won a Second place ribbon at our County Fair in the No Shortening Catagory. It specifies in that recipe that you let it set 10 minutes
in the Stoneware, after it is "baked", before tipping out on the platter. Folks at my parties chose to serve it without a frosting. I have found that when I brush CRISCO on my Stoneware, it comes out perfectly. I used to use the Spritzer and spray it on, and have too many particles stick to the Stoneware. I've probably "baked" 15 cakes in it thus far, and do not trust that it is seasoned enough to not brush on the Crisco.
Hope this helps. I do not recommend adding the frosting to the batter.
Check our Files section for the Rice Cooker Recipes booklet, and also the Chocolate Cherry Fluted Stoneware cake. They may go back to Fall/Winter 2005.

I got a SB from S/S 2001 that has a MICROWAVE Raspberry Truffle Cake in it in the Fluted Pan. :eek: I almost fell over, I had assumed that not long after I started that it was a newer discovery.

Anyway when I do the micro-cake in the rice cooker I don't even bother to turn it out, I usually just serve it right out of the cooker with either a nylon spoon or a mix-n-scraper. If you choose to do the micro-cakes without the frosting added then they should come out much more like the pan you used, than the lava-type cake.

I do the 3-2-1 cakes at most of my shows. I also agree that they look better without the frosting in the pan. I do all kinds of flavors and variations. I actually top mine with the ganache recipe they gave us a couple of years ago. 1 cup chips (whatever flavor) and 1 cup coolwhip, micro for one minute, mix and pour over warm cake. It makes the very best fudgy gooey topping. Sometime I add cream cheese or peanut butter to it, just to make it that much better. And I ALWAYS spray my pan.

My son and I tried the choc hazelnut in rice cooker the other night--disgusting. I think though it was because he followed the cake mix for the oil, eggs, water instead of the recipe. We dumped it down the drain......

However, I did the turtle skillet in the exec 10" pan and it turned out awesome, i'm still eating it. and it has stayed moist for 3 days too. i just stick in micro for 20sec to warm, put some whipped cream on it, yummy :) Only one more slice left!!!!

I think I need to experiment some more before I do the rice cooker cakes at a show though.

I've only done two so can't say much, but do think having frosting and cake the same color helps. So chocolate frosting and cake is prettier than chocolate frosting on a yellow cake. The imperfections can't be seen as much.

Thanks for this thread! I did the Strawberry Margarita Cake in the Fluted Pan today and it looked terrible. Even when I drizzled it with white icing, it was ugly. But the guests loved it! They thought it was yummy and it was neat that you could bake it in the Micro. Here was my "saving grace" - the Host kept apologizing about how OLD her microwave was! She said it was her husbands from college over 11 years ago. She said "That's why the cake looks the way it does" So I just left it at that! I made a chocolate one for my parents and it looked great but was so spongy - not moist at all. Not sure if I will show one again - maybe if I practice first!

Joanne

I never add the icing to the cake when I make it in the fluted pan and I always make it in the microwave. It always comes out very nicely - I have made a ton of them and still spritz the stone just to be safe.

I melt frosting and drizzle it over the cake after it has cooled completely and garnish with grated chocolate, powdered sugar, gratednuts and/or fruit. It always looks nice.

I have been putting the frosting in the rice cooker when I do a cake in that. It turns out okay looking and tastes awesome. I think I'll try one without the icing and see if that helps the appearance.

I make either the chocolate kahlua cake or the strawberry chip cake and it always turns out well, but you have to remember to use regular pudding not instant or else it turns out gummy. I sprinkle with powdered sugar and it turns out just fine -- covers up any imperfections and adds sweetness to boot.

I need to share...although my daughter would kill me if she knew! She did a microwave cake in the rice cooker at a show (is a consultant as well). I told her to try it at home first -- but they always know better than you, right?:rolleyes:

So, in went the cake- LID and all....:confused:

Yep! Ka-BOOM! It blew up in the Microwave! :eek:

As she was telling me, I am actually laughing hysterically...then, she said that the teenagers there (3 of them, the only "guests" that the host had at the show) ate it out of the microwave, scraping the sides of the microwave clean and licking their hands.:eek:

OK, so now you can share this story in your own way at your shows, just don't tell them that MY daughter did it!!:cool:

Recipe??
PampChefJoy said:
I make either the chocolate kahlua cake or the strawberry chip cake and it always turns out well, but you have to remember to use regular pudding not instant or else it turns out gummy. I sprinkle with powdered sugar and it turns out just fine -- covers up any imperfections and adds sweetness to boot.
Chocolate Kahlua Cake sounds yummy!! Could you share the recipe?
After reading the previous posts I decided to make a new (for me) microwave cake last night for my family. I used the 'Sunshine cake' recipe from the Casual Cooking cookbook. It came out beautiful and tasted great too!! I would definitely make this at a show.
I have been making the strawberry Margarita cake lately but I changed the recipe just a bit...The recipe I had called for a Kool-aide packet and fresh strawberries. I omitted that and I used strawberries in syrup instead. When it comes out of the pan the top is just a little bit flat but that's because of the strawberries that settled there during cooking. Then after it's cooled I drizzle the lime flavored icing and garnish with strawberry fans. This cake always gets a great review, it looks pretty on the plate and its delicious....Plus it's quick and easy to demo!! I love to use my Fluted Pan at my shows I think it makes people less intimidated about using stoneware especially if they've never cooked with it before.

Here is the one I make:

Killer Chocolate Kahlua Cake

1 box chocolate cake mix
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 3.9 oz cook'n'serve chocolate pudding
1/3 cup Kahlua
1 16 oz. tub sour cream

Mix all, pour in well-greased Fluted Pan. Microwave 14-16 minutes. Invert on serving platter, remove pan after 10 minutes. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

If you search the forums for "fluted", you should be able to bring up some older threads on this topic. I've also done the micro cake with the can of soda and it was delicious as well -- and looked normal, not caved in, on top.

Thank you so much for that recipe. I can't wait to try it. I'll have to run a search to find the one with the can of soda!! That sounds interesting!!

I LOVE the microwave cakesI just finished my first four shows ever and I did the a chocolate mircowave cake at each party and it was a HUGE success.

I just followed the recipe on the back of a chocolate cake box. Then I added the frosting. Then I cooked it in the microwave for 12 minutes on high and then let it sit for 20 minutes. (I prepped the cake first and then while it was cooling and baking I made the ring recipe.) I inverted it on to a serving tray, sprinkled the top with powered sugar and then topped it with sliced strawberries. It looked and tasted great every single time!

3-2-1 Microwave CakeOk, after reading the different responses on this thread, I decided to give the microwave cakes another try. I found the 3-2-1 cake recipe on here (3 eggs, 2 C. sour cream, 1 cake mix) and made that with chocolate cake mix and added 1 cup chocolate chips. I have to say, this one turned out much better looking that my last attempt (where I put the icing in with the batter). I melted chocolate chips and cool whip to make a ganache icing. My visiting mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and 2 nieces were all suitably impressed. The cake looked and tasted very good.

However, the cake with the icing plopped on top of the batter before cooking had a little more of a moist, fudgy taste. I wonder how it would look if I stirred the icing into the batter before putting it in the fluted pan, instead of just scooping it on top. Has anyone tried doing that? Seems like that would get the best of both worlds, the great taste of the "baked" in icing but (maybe) the look of a real cake rather than a chocolate volcano....

Alrighty I keep hearing about these.... does anyone have a recpie that they can give to me?????? I would love one....

Thanks

PampChefJoy said:
I thought we used the pudding in the cake mixes. I just bought quite a few tonite!! Of course I bought another Choc/Devil's food cake, a yellow cake, a butter cake (never heard of butter cake before) and a Strawberry cake as that could be used for HWC times.

I hope it's easy to make and demo as I'm planning on using that for my cooking show at the end of the month :)

Microwave cake recipes
mommyhugz1978 said:
Alrighty I keep hearing about these.... does anyone have a recpie that they can give to me?????? I would love one....

Thanks

Just do a search in the "files" section for either microwave cake or fluted stone and you should get quite a few. There are tons of variations! The one I did the other night that turned out well was 3 eggs, 1 16 oz. container sour cream, 1 cup chocolate chips, and 1 chocolate cake mix. Mix together and pour into fluted stone and microwave for 10-14 minutes (checking after 10 minutes for when cake begins to pull away from stone around the edges). Let the cake "rest"/cool in the stone for around 10 minutes or so before trying to turn it out. Then I melted 1 cup chocolate chips with 1 cup Cool Whip in the microwave and poured over top of cake.

You can also mix cake according to package directions, pour batter into fluted stone, then scoop icing over top of the batter, and microwave as mentioned above. This gives you more of a "lava cake" than a bundt shaped cake, but it's also delicious.

Good luck!

1. How do I know when a microwave cake is done?

The best way to determine if a microwave cake is done is to insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean or with a few crumbs, the cake is done. You can also gently press the top of the cake with your finger - if it springs back, it's done.

2. Can I use a regular cake mix to make a microwave cake?

Yes, you can use a regular cake mix to make a microwave cake. Just follow the instructions on the cake mix box and adjust the cooking time according to the wattage of your microwave.

3. How long does it take to make a microwave cake?

The cooking time for a microwave cake can vary depending on the wattage of your microwave. Generally, it takes about 2-3 minutes for a single serving cake and 6-8 minutes for a larger cake. It's best to check the cake frequently to avoid overcooking.

4. Do I need any special tools to make a microwave cake?

No, you do not need any special tools to make a microwave cake. However, it is recommended to use a microwave-safe baking dish or mug, and to cover the dish with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap while cooking.

5. Can I add any toppings or flavorings to a microwave cake?

Yes, you can add various toppings and flavorings to a microwave cake, such as chocolate chips, sprinkles, nuts, or fruit. You can also experiment with different extracts or spices to add unique flavors to your cake.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gailz2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
gailz2
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
Staci