• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Overcome My Fear of Making Phone Calls for My Consultant Business?

In summary, the conversation is about someone who wants to be successful as a consultant, but struggles with making phone calls and getting bookings. They receive advice on how to overcome their fear of the phone and suggestions for potential places to host events.
txladicooks
Ok so I decided that I was going to be a consultant, DH fully supports me, I am so good at approaching people and talking about TPC I love the products, so I believe in it. But I am a failure, I still can't do this business, I am backwards to most people, I can't make a phone call. I get people interested, I KNOW they are interested, I get their phone number, or email address, I always follow up with the email, I can't seem to pick up the phone and make the phone call though. I sit there and look at the number, and the phone and I swear I break out into a cold sweat and the room starts to spin. Shouldn't it be harder to just talk to a stranger face to face? Why can't I do this? I am never going to qualify or be successful if I can't get over this fear of the phone. I need to get some solid bookings, and all I have right now is one catalog show, I am working on my open house, and I have a show booked for July. I am a caterer so I am thinking to qualify I could pamper a business a couple times in the next week? Could anyone help me with some ideas to qualify in the next couple of weeks, we are military and don't have family nearby so I can't count on that. :cry:

The phone is your worst enemy if you let it be. Start of with small goals, one call a night. Soon you'll work up to making those calls. You have bookings or at least people interested, go for it! What do you have to loose???

I am like you where I can talk to someone face to face, but not over the phone. It may be that when you speak to someone directly you can see their face and read their body lang. Don't let this stop you. Start small. Just call a few people and make them friends or family. Don't call them to chit chat, tell them you need the practice to get more open. Then make a few at a time and reward yourself when you do it. I get a bubble bath when I make 5 calls. I have been showering for awhile:D

Slack... but I'll call when I KNOW they won't be home. So if you know they work, call and leave a message. It's not ideal but you're teaching yourself that the phone won't bite and maybe they'll call you back. Probably not, but you've made the initial contact.

In the messages I'll say, "I'm sending you an email with xxxx info and will call back next if I don't hear from you." That way I don't feel like a pest if I call back.

I also reward myself for making calls. So, I don't get a piece of cake until I've made xxx calls or booked a show.

Best wishes. You are NOT a failure until you give up. (Although there are real reasons to give up so even that doesn't always make you a failure.)

One piece of advice that I have heard is to call a friend or another consultant and "practice" the things you want to work on. Things like follow up, getting bookings, etc. I don't have phone phobia myself, just a major procrastinator...but my Director said that she had this problem and that's how she learned to deal with it. Ask your "phone buddy" to give both yes and no responses so you "learn" that either is ok. She also suggests using a scorecard of sorts to keep yourself on track and reward yourself after completing X number of calls.
Good luck...hang in there...you can do it!! :chef:

Listen to the Phone Courage teleclass from Leadership that is posted on consulant's corner to help you with your phone phobia.

thanks guys I really do plan on attacking the phone! Honest... says courage the cowardly dog as it runs and hides with it's tail between it's legs...
I really love TPC and I do want to be successful so I do need to get on the ball. So I will take any advice I can get! So again thanks! So tomorrow this will be me when I pick up the phone :eek:

We just PCSed from Fort Hood!If your going to pamper a bus. let me help suggest places to you!There is a realestate office called Cloud realestate on WS Young...there great! the elementary schools on post were wonderful to us as well! I would also try to go to some of the clinics at metroplex...they love pampered Chef! And even the visitors center at the main gate...if they will allow it and they are not busy. Around there their are tons of real estate offices...try those for a while if you can (can also offer closing gifts).PM me if you need more advice!

Bren706 said:
Listen to the Phone Courage teleclass from Leadership that is posted on consulant's corner to help you with your phone phobia.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that was on there, but I too dread picking up the phone and will do everything I can to avoid it :eek:

txladicooks said:
Could anyone help me with some ideas to qualify in the next couple of weeks, we are military and don't have family nearby so I can't count on that. :cry:

Why not? Ask them to do a catalog party...all it takes is $150 in orders. Since it's a party. it get directly shipped to them to deliver to the customers.

I fear the phone, especially after get all those rejections the other night, I am even more afraid of it now. I am taking teh phone courage seminar at NC, I sure need it. :)

You can listen to Phone Courage NOW on consultant's corner!

I am going to do that, I soooo need it :) I am fine face to face or e-mail, but I hate the phone.

I sat down last night to make some calls too and didn't have the best of luck. The first one was a host coaching call and the lady had to reschedule (for the 3rd time!!!) The second call was to a lady who's ordered from me a couple of times so it was an OOB call. It was awkward, and she said no to a party, and I felt she was giving me a cheesy attitude because she thought I was being cheesy? After that the kids were screaming and hubby yelled for me to come get them ready for bed and that was the end of my calls for the night. Not only do I have phone phobia (because it's always awkward), but I am always really pressed for time and basically I have to see how many calls I can make before someone finds out I'm on the phone and comes into the room... I don't have full support from my DH, but that's another thread. Sorry to hijack, just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain, but I've been at it for almost 2 years now!

txladicooks said:
thanks guys I really do plan on attacking the phone! Honest... says courage the cowardly dog as it runs and hides with it's tail between it's legs...
I really love TPC and I do want to be successful so I do need to get on the ball. So I will take any advice I can get! So again thanks! So tomorrow this will be me when I pick up the phone :eek:

I noticed your siggy....have you tried stopping to pray before you pick up the phone? Pray for the right words to say, pray for a postive touch to your business because of the phone call, etc. It really helps to calm me beforehand...(I hate the phone as well!) Plus...it really does get better with practice. The more calls you do, the less "scared" and "scripted" you will sound to others...

Good luck!

{{{HUGS}}}

I agree with everything Kelly said!

And I'm sorry I got distracted earlier and didn't say all I wanted to ...

Have you seen the Pampered Chef mission about helping people develop their God-given talents?

I have heard so many people say that they were terrified of speaking in front of people until they started doing this! You can do this! Listen to Kelly! Pray, pray, pray!

Related to How Can I Overcome My Fear of Making Phone Calls for My Consultant Business?

1. How can I improve my cooking skills?

The best way to improve your cooking skills is to practice regularly and try new recipes. You can also attend cooking classes or workshops to learn new techniques and tips.

2. What are some common mistakes amateur chefs make?

Some common mistakes include not properly measuring ingredients, not following a recipe accurately, overcooking or undercooking food, and not properly seasoning dishes.

3. How do I know when my food is done cooking?

The best way to know if your food is done cooking is to use a thermometer to check the internal temperature. You can also use visual cues, such as the color and texture of the food, to determine if it is cooked to your liking.

4. How can I make my meals more flavorful?

Try using a variety of herbs and spices, using high-quality ingredients, and experimenting with different cooking methods. Don't be afraid to add a little extra seasoning if needed.

5. What are some essential tools for a beginner chef?

Some essential tools for a beginner chef include a good set of knives, measuring cups and spoons, a cutting board, pots and pans, and basic kitchen utensils. A slow cooker or instant pot can also be helpful for easy and convenient meals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered.chris
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • gilchrist_pchef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
gilchrist_pchef
  • kcmckay