• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can a Disastrous Chocolate Show Turn Into a Hilarious Disaster?

whatever you did worked!I'm with Ellen - this whole peanut butter thing is a nightmare. My aunt, a depression-era child, buys way too much stuff in bulk "because it's on sale" and has given me rancid flour, peanut butter, flat soda, and much more. I still love her dearly, and throw it away when she's not looking.If you could do over again, would you not make the recipe? Put the show
dannyzmom
Gold Member
The chocolate hostesses...oy vey.
Recipe called for Cool Whip THAWED. It was still in the freezer when I arrived.
After baking the Peanutty Chocolate cake and making the peanut sauce etc...find out the host's peanut butter expired back in like '03 and was RANCID!!!
Guests were complainey, loud, rude...
I am so glad it's over.

At least it is over- eww pretty gross about peanut butter that old! Don't you love it when hosts can't follow simple directions?

SOOOOO Sorry to heat that Carolyn! (((((((HUGS)))))))

How do you have 3 year old pb and not ever notice???

Gina M said:
At least it is over- eww pretty gross about peanut butter that old! Don't you love it when hosts can't follow simple directions?

And at firsts the guests were all muttering "The cake she made is disgusting" and the host was letting me take the heat. NO WAY. I picked up the tub of PB and pointed out to the guests that it was WAY expired and it was not MY fault!!

Sorry to hear that Carolyn. Last night my host had mini chocolate chips to melt for the Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake. They wouldn't melt in the microwave. So we had chunky caramel/chocolate sauce. I don't want to know how old the chips were. I really don't know if that was the problem, anyway. Tonight we made the Double Chocolate Cinnamon Dip. Very good but a little tedious to demo IMO.

Sometimes we just have to look back and laugh.

Nasty, nasty!! :eek: Yuck! Sounds like a bummer of a show. I'm glad for you that it's over too! Hope your next one is MUCh better!!

Oh, that sounds horrible! Ick. Rancid peanut butter!

My aunt, a depression-era child, buys way too much stuff in bulk "because it's on sale" and has given me rancid flour, peanut butter, flat soda, and much more. I still love her dearly, and throw it away when she's not looking.

If you could do over again, would you not make the recipe? Put the show on hold, until fresh peanut butter was found?

This person must not make many PB&Js, is all I can say.

Oh, if the Cool Whip is frozen, run a sink of hot water and let it float in it.

But there is nothing to be done about rancid or spoiled ingredients, sadly.

I am so sorry Carolyn that really is horrible......yuck about the PB!!

Hey Carolyn - did you get any bookings?:D

Did you even ask?:balloon: LOL!

I am sure you'd just like to be done with this crowd! But I'm with Ellen - who had 4 yr old peanut butter sitting around? YUCK!

That's what I was going to ask; how many bookings did you get?:p
At least it's over!

I'm guessing this show isn't adding too many points towards DC? :) Sorry it went so badly. I hope your next show blesses you so greatly that this one is just a faint (bad) memory!

Well shoot... let's go for a completely forgotten show ... other than the fact that ALL of us will now be checking our hosts Peanut Butter jar dates! :)

Another tip is to stick the handle of the Ice Cream Dipper in the middle of the frozen cool whip... that will thaw the entire container in about 10 minutes. Got that tip from a guest and it's saved my butt at shows!!!!

THAT is GENUIS!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

My director does that (with the Ice Cream Dipper) in sherbet to soften it for trifles, too. :)
<end hijack>

finley1991 said:
Another tip is to stick the handle of the Ice Cream Dipper in the middle of the frozen cool whip... that will thaw the entire container in about 10 minutes. Got that tip from a guest and it's saved my butt at shows!!!!

That is a great idea. I am usually the one who forgets to get the cool whip out and thaw it.

Ewww! Sorry this happened to you, Carolyn. The whole frozen Cool Whip thing is why I started buying the ingredients myself. Of course, that was before I started doing mostly Walk through the Catalog shows. Look at it this way--you have your bad show for fall 2007 out of the way. Now the rest of them will be smooooooooth sailin'.

UHHHMMM can anyone say salmonella???

my 17 yo son was sick for 3 weeks before the pb scare. he was losing lots of weight & was constantly in the bathroom. the only thing he wanted to eat was PB sandwiches all day. we couldn't get him well, finally we forced him to quit eating pb and eat what I was cooking he got better. when the lot # was released both my 3 pound tubs from Sams were the icky ones.....

Carolyn~

Eeeewwwww!!

What a PITA...glad that show is over for you!

I would have been RUNNING packing my truck up after all the crap you have had to deal with with these hosts!

How are your sales?
I'm not asking about bookings...I have had crappy shows like that where I honestly didn't really ask for bookings, just wanted to be DONE with them!

Oh wow- this sounds terrible. I did have a bag of sugar full of moths once... and I thought THAT was bad... ouch!!

finley1991 said:

Colleen!! THat's awesome - thanks for sharing!!!

SAles were pretty decent actually, about $660. I got one booking...for January. Maybe she'll forget my name & number by then - LOL The booking girl was the one bright light of the show - she was enthusiastic, interested, positive, excited, etc...But still...this crowd is her friends, they are who she'll be inviting :p

Hopefully she has other friends, too. :)

dannyzmom said:
SAles were pretty decent actually, about $660. I got one booking...for January. Maybe she'll forget my name & number by then - LOL The booking girl was the one bright light of the show - she was enthusiastic, interested, positive, excited, etc...But still...this crowd is her friends, they are who she'll be inviting :p

Maybe you could recruit her and she could do their shows then!:D

Ooh- that's an even better idea.

recruit, Recruit, RECRUIT. Then, SHE can deal with them...lol

Seriously, sorry your show ended on a "sour" note, but glad the sales were decent!

Christ Follower said:
How do you have 3 year old pb and not ever notice???
It was definitely older than 3 yrs. I just bought a jar & the exp date is Aug 2009. She bought that jar in 2001. :yuck: :eek: :yuck: :yuck:

That's a bad deal! Glad your yucky show is over! :)

raebates said:
Ewww! Sorry this happened to you, Carolyn. The whole frozen Cool Whip thing is why I started buying the ingredients myself. Of course, that was before I started doing mostly Walk through the Catalog shows.

Look at it this way--you have your bad show for fall 2007 out of the way. Now the rest of them will be smooooooooth sailin'.

Ooh could you elaborate? This sounds like what I'm looking for when I restart in Feb. TIA :)

Amanda, there's a lot of info on Rae's no-demo show, if you search for no-demo.

Choc. from H*ll
dannyzmom said:
The chocolate hostesses...oy vey.
Recipe called for Cool Whip THAWED. It was still in the freezer when I arrived.
After baking the Peanutty Chocolate cake and making the peanut sauce etc...find out the host's peanut butter expired back in like '03 and was RANCID!!!
Guests were complainey, loud, rude...
I am so glad it's over.

Girl, that really sucks! I cant imagine...lol I bet you ARE glad its over.... :grumpy:

finley1991 said:

This should be added to the tips at a show thread! Cool idea!

--Jenny L

finley1991 said:
Thats awesome Collen! It almost makes me want to do it on purpose just to show how well the dipper works!! ;)

dannyzmom said:
And at firsts the guests were all muttering "The cake she made is disgusting" and the host was letting me take the heat. NO WAY. I picked up the tub of PB and pointed out to the guests that it was WAY expired and it was not MY fault!!
Good for you. I am so sorry. Yuck! I wouldn't let you use something like that. I don't even know what I would have done.

finley1991 said:
That's a great tip!:thumbup:

Related to How Can a Disastrous Chocolate Show Turn Into a Hilarious Disaster?

1. What is the "Decadent Chocolate Show with a Twist" and what can guests expect?

The "Decadent Chocolate Show with a Twist" is a fun and interactive cooking experience where guests can learn how to make delicious chocolate desserts with a unique twist. They can expect to have a great time while learning new recipes and techniques.

2. What happened when the host did not thaw the Cool Whip as instructed?

Unfortunately, not thawing the Cool Whip can affect the texture and consistency of the dessert. It may not turn out as smooth and creamy as it should. We recommend following the recipe instructions to ensure the best results.

3. How did the expired peanut butter affect the Peanutty Chocolate cake?

Using expired ingredients can greatly impact the taste and quality of a dish. In this case, the rancid peanut butter would have made the cake taste off and potentially unsafe to consume. We always suggest checking expiration dates before using ingredients in a recipe.

4. How did you handle the guests' complaints and behavior?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, it is important to remain professional and polite in all situations. We always try our best to address any complaints or issues that may arise and find a solution that satisfies all parties. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the rude behavior of the guests.

5. Are you glad the event is over?

While it may have been a challenging experience, we always strive to provide the best possible service to our clients and guests. We are grateful for the opportunity to share our love of cooking and chocolate with others, and we appreciate all the lessons learned from this event.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janezapchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
whiteyteresa
Replies
Views
Admin Greg