• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Homemade Taco Salad Shells: A Quick and Easy Recipe

S
sfdavis918
I want to make a kind of taco salad tonight (completely impromptu) and was wondering if I can make the shells at home. Can I just put some oil on a flour tortilla and put it over a cereal bowl in the oven? What temperature should I have it at and for how long? Any ideas?

I searched online and found this...

How to Make Baked Taco Salad Shell Bowls

2 empty food cans (4-inches wide) and deep dish pizza pan (12 to 14-inch )
burrito-sized flour tortillas
2 pieces aluminum foil (12-inch)
water
olive oil

If using 10-inch tortillas, set 2 empty food cans 3 to 4 inches apart on a 14x17-inch foil lined baking sheet.

If using 12 or 13-inch tortillas, set 1 food can on baking sheet.

Drape a foil square over the top of each can.

Fill a pizza pan (one that's at least 3/4-inch deep) or another appropriately rimmed container with about 1/2 inch of warm water; add 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil.

Quickly immerse a tortilla in the water, then lift out and let drain.

Drape the damp tortilla over the foil on the empty food can (if you place it slightly off-center the shell with have a dramatic higher flair to one edge).

If you have room on the pan for another tortilla, add another 1/4 teaspoon oil to the water, dip a tortilla, and drape it over the other can.

Bake the taco salad shells in a preheated 450 degree F oven until they're lightly brown and firm enough to hold their shape, which will take about 4 to 5 minutes.

Using pot holders, carefully lift the shells off the cans and place them cup-side-up on the pan; the edges on larger tortillas might need support when the shells are inverted so loosely crumple some foil into 4-inch balls and push them against areas that sag.

Return the shells to the oven and bake until they're crisp, about 2 to 3 additional minutes.

Let cool on rack.

Wow... that looks complicated! I just pop my tortillas into the Classic Batter Bowl and microwave for 5 mintues. Use a mitt as the BB will be hot when taking it out, then just pop the shell out and you're good to go!

Yes I put my shell inside the large batter bowl and bake in the oven till brown & crispy!!

finley1991 said:
Wow... that looks complicated! I just pop my tortillas into the Classic Batter Bowl and microwave for 5 mintues. Use a mitt as the BB will be hot when taking it out, then just pop the shell out and you're good to go!
I was gonna say the same thing, why couldn't you put it in the Classic Batter Bowl? I haven't tried it, but that was my first thought.

Yep, the batter bowl works perfect. Just don't overcook...you'll know how your oven works on it after the 1st 1 or 2. Good luck!

Yippee!!! Thanks! My Mom and I thank you. Now I gotta go wash the Batter bowl!:D

Related to Homemade Taco Salad Shells: A Quick and Easy Recipe

1. Can I make taco salad shells at home?

Yes, you can definitely make taco salad shells at home! It's a quick and easy process that only requires a few ingredients and tools.

2. How do I make homemade taco salad shells?

To make homemade taco salad shells, you will need flour tortillas, oil, and a cereal bowl. Brush oil on both sides of a tortilla and place it over an upside-down cereal bowl. Bake in the oven at 375°F for 8-10 minutes, until the tortilla is crispy and golden brown. Let it cool before removing it from the bowl.

3. Can I use any type of tortilla to make taco salad shells?

Yes, you can use any type of tortilla to make taco salad shells. Flour tortillas work best, but you can also use corn tortillas or even whole wheat tortillas for a healthier option.

4. How long should I bake the taco salad shells for?

The taco salad shells should be baked in the oven at 375°F for 8-10 minutes, until they are crispy and golden brown. Keep an eye on them while they are baking to make sure they don't burn.

5. What can I use if I don't have a cereal bowl to shape the taco salad shells?

If you don't have a cereal bowl, you can use an oven-safe ramekin or a muffin tin to shape the taco salad shells. Just make sure to brush oil on the inside of the bowl or tin before placing the tortilla on top.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mpkegley
Replies
Views
yourpcgal
  • wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl