• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can homemade cakes be successfully made in a microwave with a fluted pan?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making homemade cakes in a microwave using a DCB and fluted pan. The process may require some experimentation and adjustments to cooking times due to the differences in cooking methods between a conventional oven and a microwave. The conversation also suggests using a whisk instead of an electric mixer and reducing the amount of liquid and seasonings in the recipe. Helpful tips for adapting recipes to microwave cooking are also provided.
ms_twana
Most of the recipes that I've seen for the DCB or fluted pan in the microwave have been store bought, boxed cakes. Can homemade cakes be made in the microwave with the DCB and fluted pan, too? I really want to make a microwaved German Chocolate cake in the fluted pan for Thanksgiving. But I don't want the store bought cake and icing.

I haven't done it, but I should think you could--a key would be to make sure you use a whisk vs. electric mixer.

Let us know how it turns out if you do try it! ;)

lindseystar said:
Let us know how it turns out if you do try it! ;)

Girl, I don't want to be the one to try it, that's why I'm asking here!!! LOL.

Anyone???? I've heard some talk about being cake snobs and not liking boxed cake mix, so SOMEONE has had to try this already.

LOL!

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Trying to time the cooking time would be the most difficult, in my thoughts.
I was thinking there might be some type of cooking time chart from ovens to micorwaves, but upon my Google search, there isn't. I did find the following helpful information:

Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule for converting recipes. There is a little bit of experimentation involved in converting each recipe you attempt. It is best to start by learning a few recipes that are specifically written for the microwave oven. Once you've mastered a few of those recipes, you will be more comfortable adapting your favorite recipes to microwave cooking!

Just think of it! You can cook the same recipes you already enjoy faster in your microwave! When adapting your recipes:

* Try to find a microwave recipe that is similar to the recipe you want to adapt in terms of ingredients and proportions.
* Reduce the amount of liquid in the conventional recipe by about one-fourth because there is less evaporation in microwave cooking.
* Use no salt, or less salt. The microwave oven emphasizes the salt content in food, so recipes containing a conventional amount of salt will taste twice as salty.
* Reduce the amount of other seasonings too. Microwave cooking enhances other herbs and spices. Reduce by half the amount used, and then add more after cooking.
* Use deeper dishes than conventional cooking for more liquid based recipes like soups, cakes and sauces because these items increase in volume temporarily when microwave cooking.
* Foods containing liquid, sugar and fat cook faster. So reduce the cooking time by 1/4 of conventional cooking and then gradually increase until you obtain the desired result.

Don't be discouraged if your first attempt is not a glowing success. It takes time to learn how to cook in your microwave oven. Just like it took time for you to learn to use your computer. In the long run, it will be worth the effort! Just like your computer now saves you time in other areas of your life, your microwave will save you time in your kitchen!

Source: http://www.microwavecookingforone.com/Adapting.html

Also, I did notice on cooks.com that most recipes listed for both conventional and microwave ovens, the microwave take approximately 1/4 of the time as the conventional recipe.

Hope it helps somewhat! :)

1. How long does it take to make a homemade cake in the microwave?

The time it takes to make a homemade cake in the microwave can vary depending on the recipe and the power of your microwave. On average, it takes about 5-8 minutes.

2. Can I use a regular cake mix to make a microwave cake?

Yes, you can use a regular cake mix to make a microwave cake. Just follow the instructions on the box and adjust the cooking time for the microwave.

3. Do I need a special microwave-safe pan to make a homemade cake in the microwave?

No, you can use any microwave-safe container to make a homemade cake in the microwave. Just make sure it is the right size for your recipe and can withstand high temperatures.

4. How do I know when the homemade cake is done in the microwave?

You can use a toothpick or a cake tester to check if the cake is done. Insert it into the center of the cake, and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.

5. Can I make a layered cake in the microwave?

Yes, you can make a layered cake in the microwave by cooking each layer separately and then assembling them once they are cooled. Make sure to use a microwave-safe pan for each layer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • frozenchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies