• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

High Altitude Recipes: Where to Find Them

In summary, where do you find recipes for high altitudes? You have to adjust the amount of leavening and other ingredients, and cooking times need to be lengthened.
mrssyvo
Where do I find recipes for high altitudes. We have friends who are missionaries in Ethiopia, and they are at 8000 feet. She asked me to locate recipes for high altitudes. Does anyone have an idea where I should start my search?

Oh my~! I never even thought of this sort of thing!:eek: I'm sorry but I have no clue!:eek:

have you tried to google search it. i would probably start there and see if nothing i am not sure sorry not much help. let me know how it works out
amber #495750
pampered chef consultant

Could you not email the test kitchens and ask them about high altitude recipes or altering regular recipes for high altitude? Not sure, just a thought.

There have gotta be some folks on this forum who live in Denver. They'd know.

I think that generally, you need to lengthen the cooking time. The lower atmospheric pressure at altitude than at sea level means that the moisture in food boils at a lower temperature, reducing the effective cooking temp of the food.

The previous post to check the web is probably the best. :)

I found TONS of info on the web. It is more than just cooking time, I found out. You have to adjust flour, baking powder, ect. Even how things boil is different. I was amazed, being a flat-lander, I never even considered it. I learned my one new thing for the day, i can go back to bed!!!

That's right! I had forgotten about changing the amount of leavening (yeast, baking powder, etc.). My sister lives in Colorado Springs and during one visit, my mom practically exploded a pan of rolls all over the inside of the oven.

That's why I let my sis handle everything when I visit her. I don't want to be responsible for a kitchen catastrophe. :D

Related to High Altitude Recipes: Where to Find Them

1. What is considered a high altitude recipe?

A high altitude recipe is any recipe designed for baking or cooking at an elevation of 3,000 feet or higher above sea level.

2. Where can I find high altitude recipes?

High altitude recipes can be found in various places such as cookbooks specifically designed for high altitude cooking, online recipe websites, and even on the packaging of certain products like baking mixes.

3. Are there any adjustments I need to make when using a high altitude recipe?

Yes, cooking or baking at high altitudes requires adjustments to be made to compensate for the lower air pressure and drier climate. These adjustments typically include changes in cooking time, oven temperature, and ingredient ratios.

4. Can I use a regular recipe at high altitudes?

It is possible to use a regular recipe at high altitudes, but it may not turn out as expected. It is recommended to use a high altitude recipe or make adjustments to a regular recipe to ensure the best results.

5. What are some common adjustments for high altitude recipes?

Common adjustments for high altitude recipes include increasing the baking temperature by 25 degrees, reducing leavening agents such as baking powder or yeast, and adding extra liquid or flour to adjust for the drier climate. The specific adjustments needed may vary depending on the recipe and elevation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chefstover2
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Chefstover2
  • pampered_rae
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • Teresa Lynn