• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have You Tried Caramel Apple Bread Pudding with Honeycrisp Apples?

In summary, someone is making a bread pudding for a preview show and is worried because the apples look small. They order challah bread from a bakery, but there is no such thing as challah bread around here. They use a mandolin to slice the apples thinner, and the recipe is a success.
chefmelody
Has anyone tried this recipe yet? I'm going to be making it for a preview show tomorrow, and I don't really have time to practice it at home tonight. I'm a little worried because the Jonathan apples I got look reallllly tiny... like, half the size of my fist. Are they supposed to be that small, or should I maybe use 4 or 5 of them as opposed to 3 as the recipe calls for?

Also, I had trouble finding the bread for it... I had to special-order the unsliced Challah from the bakery at my local grocery store. I ordered two loaves, since again, they looked very small to me. Perhaps I should weigh it... I suppose I'll see how much it is once I get the loaf sliced up.

Anyway, any tips on this recipe?

I would use more apples if you think they look small - you want enough for 2 layers of apples.....I cut the lemon in mine to half what it called for, and added a teaspoon of cinnamon.
There is no such thing as Challah bread around here....I just used Italian bread - a 16 oz loaf - and that worked just fine! Everyone loved the Bread Pudding at my Open House! Oh and I just used caramel ice cream topping instead of opening all those little caramels!

Thanks! Also, I don't have the Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer... do you think that the new Ultimate Mandoline will work with the adjustable slicing blade for the apples?

I didn't want to drag out my APCS and have to clean it for 3 apples - and I didn't want to get my Ultimate Mandoline dirty either - I already had it set up on display for my open house! So I just peeled the apples, used my apple wedger, and sliced them a bit thinner from there......so I would think the mandolin would do just fine;)

Thanks for the tips... the recipe was a smashing sucess! I ended up just slicing the apples with the utility knife and the hold n' slice... slicing between the tines makes nice even slices! I added a bit of cinnamon to the apples as I was sauteing them as well, which was a nice flavor to the dish. Even someone who said they didn't like caramel liked the pudding!

My only problem was finding unsliced challah for it... maybe I'll bake my own next time.

I'm making this for a party I'm having at my house Friday night ....

Challah is a kind of egg bread -- so just find some egg bread, or french bread or sourdough. Just a nice heavier bread, not Wonder!!!

Here is the "Quick Tip" from the August 15 Weekly Bites:

The Caramel Apple Bread Pudding recipe, found in the Season's Best® Recipe Collection Fall/Winter 2006, calls for egg bread such as challah and one 14-ounce package of caramels. Challah is a Jewish yeast bread that traditionally contains eggs, white flour and sugar and is shaped in the form of a braid. It is commonly found in the bakery section of major grocery stores. If desired, 1 (16-ounce) loaf of French bread can be substituted for the egg bread and 1 1/2 cups thick caramel sauce can be substituted for the caramels.

I used a 16 oz. loaf of Italian Bread, and it worked great....I was going to use the King's Hawaiian Loaf - because that is another Egg Bread, but the Italian was $1.49 and the King's was $3.49.....and I like to do things on the cheap;)

ChefBeckyD said:
I used a 16 oz. loaf of Italian Bread, and it worked great....I was going to use the King's Hawaiian Loaf - because that is another Egg Bread, but the Italian was $1.49 and the King's was $3.49.....and I like to do things on the cheap;)

I just picked up the King's Hawaiian (like you use for spinach dip), they were 2 for $5.00 this week at Target and a french bread - always $.99. I am now wondering (like in another thread) if you don't have the new baker which pan would be the best? I have heard that some of the rectangulars don't fit in some microwaves. Also someone mentioned the fluted or loaf pans - but how to cover?? Would love to hear some suggestions!

chefmelody said:
Thanks for the tips... the recipe was a smashing sucess! I ended up just slicing the apples with the utility knife and the hold n' slice... slicing between the tines makes nice even slices! I added a bit of cinnamon to the apples as I was sauteing them as well, which was a nice flavor to the dish. Even someone who said they didn't like caramel liked the pudding!

My only problem was finding unsliced challah for it... maybe I'll bake my own next time.
Do you think this would be a good show recipe?? Does it show a good amount of products?? I'm doing my own Stoneware/Product Preview show in a few weeks and was thinking about making this either beforehand or for the demo. Or maybe I should make chicken in it. I'm hoping for lots in attendance, so I think the bread pudding would produce more food for sampling.

pamperedbecky said:
Do you think this would be a good show recipe?? Does it show a good amount of products?? I'm doing my own Stoneware/Product Preview show in a few weeks and was thinking about making this either beforehand or for the demo. Or maybe I should make chicken in it. I'm hoping for lots in attendance, so I think the bread pudding would produce more food for sampling.

Becky - I am planning on using this as my demo for all September shows! It shows about $800 in products - including several new products! The demo time is probably a bit longer, but the cooking time is less than 20 minutes - and everyone at my open house rated it a 5 out of 5! (and it will feed alot of people - it's very rich!)

Is this a recipe you would serve alone or with ice cream or whipped cream? Sometimes if a recipe is very rich I add ice cream.

I'm still debating whether or not to buy the baker. I think I would use it more than the grill pan or the silicone baking cups for a demo (other high-ticket items). Any thoughts?

pcjulie said:
Is this a recipe you would serve alone or with ice cream or whipped cream? Sometimes if a recipe is very rich I add ice cream.

I'm still debating whether or not to buy the baker. I think I would use it more than the grill pan or the silicone baking cups for a demo (other high-ticket items). Any thoughts?

I served mine with cool whip - since it was an open house event, but at shows I would definitely add ice cream!

I earned the Silicone baker, so I'm glad I have it - and I want both the grill pan and baker - I am getting the baker w/ free $ from my show, and ordering the Santoku knife and cutting board with cups for my 1/2 off products.....I'll have to wait on the grill pan......I think I'll use the baker more than I would the grill pan.

Harrle said:
I just picked up the King's Hawaiian (like you use for spinach dip), they were 2 for $5.00 this week at Target and a french bread - always $.99. I am now wondering (like in another thread) if you don't have the new baker which pan would be the best? I have heard that some of the rectangulars don't fit in some microwaves. Also someone mentioned the fluted or loaf pans - but how to cover?? Would love to hear some suggestions!

What about the deep dish baker & the lid that they are discontinuing????:confused:

chefmelody said:
Thanks! Also, I don't have the Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer... do you think that the new Ultimate Mandoline will work with the adjustable slicing blade for the apples?

The UM works great on apples - I have been using it to do apples for my sons..the love it!

ChefBeckyD said:
Becky - I am planning on using this as my demo for all September shows! It shows about $800 in products - including several new products! The demo time is probably a bit longer, but the cooking time is less than 20 minutes - and everyone at my open house rated it a 5 out of 5! (and it will feed alot of people - it's very rich!)
This sounds awesome! I'm making it on Saturday when some friends are here, so we'll see how it goes. I was looking for a main recipe to do for September and if all goes well, I'll push this one to hosts.

I assume you can prep lots of stuff ahead of time. I guess apples you don't want to do too far ahead because they'll turn brown. You could obviously cube the bread and do most of the egg mixture ahead too, or at least measure out the stuff like sugar, salt and cream/milk and have it ready to go. It's probably hard if the demo isn't in the kitchen by the microwave, however. I have tried this recipe and it's great, but even better with Ice Cream!!!:D

pamperedbecky said:
This sounds awesome! I'm making it on Saturday when some friends are here, so we'll see how it goes. I was looking for a main recipe to do for September and if all goes well, I'll push this one to hosts.

I assume you can prep lots of stuff ahead of time. I guess apples you don't want to do too far ahead because they'll turn brown. You could obviously cube the bread and do most of the egg mixture ahead too, or at least measure out the stuff like sugar, salt and cream/milk and have it ready to go. It's probably hard if the demo isn't in the kitchen by the microwave, however. I have tried this recipe and it's great, but even better with Ice Cream!!!:D

Actually, because the apples are mixed with lemon juice and cooked - you can mostly prep them ahead of time:) also, I used Gala apples, and they don't seem to brown as fast as some do. The recipe looks long - but I found it came together quite quickly! And I agree - ice cream makes it even better!

there is an old PC recipe somewhere that is for bread pudding and they use diced up egg bagels...so this may work as well...just a thought...that bread pudding was awesome when I made it a long time ago

The bread pudding is delicious and would show off lots of products. But someone mentioned earlier that they were debating between getting the baker or the silicone pan. At our Fall Kick-Off meeting Monday night one of the directors said that she couldn't wait to use the silicone pan for her "B" recipe at all her fall shows. She is planning to have the host prepare cake batter for her and split up a can of frosting and add colors. She will bake up the cupcakes when she arrives and at the end of the party the guests can do their own cupcake decorating with the decorating bottles.

I had my open house on Sunday and people pre-ordered 4 of the silicone pans because I made the lemon cake mix in it. I think it could be a huge seller and what a way to increase your show total - if guests can see what it does and how much fun it would be to make their own mini-cakes - you could really add a lot to your sales!

Val

I think this is a great show recipe because it gives you the chance to show off the cookware AND the stoneware! Even though I cooked the apples ahead of time, I still showed the sautee pan and passed it around. I was slicing the bread as guests came in (running a little behind on prep!), and got to talk about the knives early-on. You can also show off all three stainless steel bowls... one for apples, one for milk/cream/eggs, and one for the bread where you finally mix it all together. I used the new Ultimate Mandoline to slice the apples rather than the APCS, so I could show that off too... and let guests try it!I think this is going to be one of my best show recipes this season. There's a lot of products to show off, and ample opportunity for guests to try the products. I even got a "wow" from a guest by letting her pour the milk into an easy-read measuring cup... and she ended up ordering them!The only caution would be to make sure your host's microwave is big enough for the cooker. Have the host measure her turntable... if it's 12 inches across, you're good. I wonder if there's an option to cook this in the oven? I should try it sometime... I think it would take a long time, though... perhaps 45-50 minutes?I want to try the apple garnish next time. Has anyone made them yet?

pamperedval said:
She will bake up the cupcakes when she arrives and at the end of the party the guests can do their own cupcake decorating with the decorating bottles.

I had my open house on Sunday and people pre-ordered 4 of the silicone pans because I made the lemon cake mix in it. I think it could be a huge seller and what a way to increase your show total - if guests can see what it does and how much fun it would be to make their own mini-cakes - you could really add a lot to your sales!

Val
Very good idea! I like the idea of using the lemon cake mix. NOW I know what I can do with that stuff!! And it's easy to make ahead. Did you do the glaze too? Or would that cover up the floral design? Did one batch of the cake mix fill all the cupcakes? Thanks!:)

I did this in the new Deep Dish Baker, in my microwave. It got me a booking,
and we are repeating the recipe for her party. It served 12 generously. It
could serve 16 easily. Prep time included dicing the bread; preparing eggs and 1% milk in Batter Bowl, and put in refrig. Also, Prep apples with Apple wedge and left the peals on the apples, saute them with lemon ahead. Then demo measuring the 1/2 and 1/2 in the Easy Read Measuring cups; combining all in the large Stainless Bowl; brush the Deep Dish with our Pastry brush or use Spritzer; measure salt and Vanilla with our adjustable measuring spoons, and talk about the Double Strength Vanilla.
Demo time was very short, and it "baked" in the microwave in exactly 15 minutes. We served it warm and it was wonderful! I highly recommend it!

I also added 1 cup of raisins and sprinkled generously with Cinnamon Plus, as I was mixing it all together. I used Smuckers Caramel Topping rather than the caramels. I only needed half of the 12 oz. jar to get the right amount of flavor, and poured it over the top of the bread before putting the lid on.

Girls, Girls, Girls, I am going to make it with "HONEYCRISP" apples!
Yum!!!
Are you all able to get honeycrisp where you are?
The honeycrisp was developed at the University of Minnesota and let me tell you, I made homeade apple pie for my dad and he said it was the "best" apple pie he has ever had. And then said don't tell mom!
Not to mention, "I don't usually do pies!"
So I hope you all can get your hands on a honeycrisp this fall and give it a try. I guarntee, you will not be dissapointed!
Schel

pamperedbecky said:
Very good idea! I like the idea of using the lemon cake mix. NOW I know what I can do with that stuff!! And it's easy to make ahead. Did you do the glaze too? Or would that cover up the floral design? Did one batch of the cake mix fill all the cupcakes? Thanks!:)

Becky,
I used the the lemon cake mix for the first thing I did in my silicone pan....they were wonderful! It makes 24 cupcakes so you have to do 2 batches....I also used the glaze - I started out drizzling it over, and then ended up dipping the tops of the cupcakes in the glaze...that worked sooo much better! The entire top was covered with glaze, with some running down the sides a bit, and the floral design showed thru beautifully. It ended up with more glaze per cupcake that way, and alot less drippy mess! (and there was plenty of glaze for all the cupcakes)

pamperedbecky said:

Becky,
I used the the lemon cake mix for the first thing I did in my silicone pan....they were wonderful! It makes 24 cupcakes so you have to do 2 batches....I also used the glaze - I started out drizzling it over, and then ended up dipping the tops of the cupcakes in the glaze...that worked sooo much better! The entire top was covered with glaze, with some running down the sides a bit, and the floral design showed thru beautifully. It ended up with more glaze per cupcake that way, and alot less drippy mess! (and there was plenty of glaze for all the cupcakes)

Becky, someone else already answered your questions about the lemon cakes - but one mix made about 22 mini-cakes - I used the medium scoop to fill the pan. But at the kick-off meeting they recommended using the large scoop so you would probably get a batch and a half with that...

I just mixed up the glaze and let people glaze their own with the small spreader. That way they could put as much or as little as they wanted and everyone could see the full design before they made them up.

Hope that helps!

Val

I am planning to use the floral cupcakes at a bridal show next week. I will display them on the 3-tier stand and next to that plan to set up a "glaze station" in the SA small bowls where guests can choose a glaze (chocolate syrup, raspberry syrup, or plain white glaze) and add it to the cupcake(which will be made of chocolate and yellow cake mix). I think it sounds like fun! Do you all think this will work well?

I made the apple pudding last night. YUM! I used French bread and smuckers caramel sauce (almost the whole jar in the pudding and poured the rest on top when it was done). I didnt have the proper baker so i used a Corning ware type cassarole dish. The pudding rose and the lid was like 2 inches off the dish. I removed the lid for the last part of the baking. The caramel and juices flowed over the sides and all over the microwave. I NEED the deep dish baker! he he. But soooo good! I served it with Cool Whip. It was a huge hit! (I just did it for bible study. Not a show)

For those of us that only have the smaller pans bread puddings are usually pretty easy to cut in half or even quarter. They also work well with frozen bread so if you cut the recipe down just freeze the unused portion of the loaf. Pull out the day you need it for, and once defrosted pop it in a 350 oven for 5 minutes.

Also, i used granny smith apples becasue i like tart apples better. It came out well.
Someone told me that they once made bread pudding out of Krispy Kreme doughnuts! YUMMMMM!

schel said:
Yum!!!
The honeycrisp was developed at the University of Minnesota and let me tell you, I made homeade apple pie for my dad and he said it was the "best" apple pie he has ever had. And then said don't tell mom!
So I hope you all can get your hands on a honeycrisp this fall and give it a try. I guarntee, you will not be dissapointed!
Schel

I have never heard of these! Interesting!

ChefBeckyD said:
Becky,
Awesome!! Thanks, Becky, and to Val for your suggestions! I'm definitely going to make these. Maybe even for a couple booths I have coming up in the next few months. I bet they freeze well too. When I used the Lemon Cake Mix when it came out, I followed the directions for making them inthe mini muffin pan and froze them. They defrosted great and you couldn't even tell!

schel said:
Yum!!!
Schel

Just thought I would let you know Honeycrisps are available in our area - you might want to check your local grocery. Our Super Target store has HUGE ones - ONE of them weighed OVER 1 lb.!!!!!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janezapchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Brenda K.
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • pkd09