• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you experienced cracking in your microplane graters?

I'm wondering if there might have been a batch of them that were defective. I've had no trouble with mine - I've had it since they first came out - but I have had one customer with the same issue. Mine's still doing fine, but I think it's a good idea for them to fix the design so it's more durable.When will they do that?I just made an adustment on a 3rd or 4th microplane that has cracked along the grating plane. I'm wondering how many of you have had this happen/reported? Thank goodness for the warrenty. I reported it to home office.Mine broke after about four months...I use it every day
its_me_susan
I just made an adustment on a 3rd or 4th microplane that has cracked along the grating plane. I'm wondering how many of you have had this happen/reported? Thank goodness for the warrenty. I reported it to home office.

Mine broke after about four months...I use it every day and demo at every show.

PC replaced it, no problem.

My Hosp. Dir has broken 3 of these. 2 were at shows 1 was a demo at a meeting.

PC has replaced all of them no problem.

Huh...I wonder if they had a bad batch? I've not had any trouble with mine - I've had it since they first came out - but I have had one customer wit the same issue you described.

BTW Susan - I am making the Choc Raspberry Dream Torte (finally) this weekend!!! Yo uknow how long it takes me to step out of my comfort zone - LOL

Yep, it is common. I broke mine, my director broke hers, I'm sure I could find others in our cluster who broke theirs.

Mine's doing fine. This is one of the frustrating things, though, in working with a company that's a distributor, not a manufacturer.

When will they strengthen them?Hopefully someone at Head Office will finally take notice of this continuing problem. Several of my Cluster members have had the same problem with too many of their own, and their customers', graters cracking and then breaking.

We have notified HO that in our opinion the grater frame needs strengthening. It is a fantastic grater particularly for zesting citrus fruits, but just not hardy enough - I think it may have something to do with the way the adjustable bit opens - some people just pull it too hard to try and get it to open without first reading the instructions!

I urge everyone to look at their own grater and see if they can see a visible crack in the black frame - if so you can be sure that in time it will break completely. My colleague had this happen to her whilst demo-ing at a show - how embarrasing was that? This is one product that we just cannot recommend in the light of this current problem.

dannyzmom said:
Huh...I wonder if they had a bad batch? I've not had any trouble with mine - I've had it since they first came out - but I have had one customer wit the same issue you described.

BTW Susan - I am making the Choc Raspberry Dream Torte (finally) this weekend!!! Yo uknow how long it takes me to step out of my comfort zone - LOL

I can't wait until you try it!!!! Email me so I don't miss it. :)

I love that PC is so easy to make exchanges with, but I agree, it must be redesigned to be more hardy. My last one broke while I was demo-ing it. I *love* the product and have 2! We use them all the time, for everything that needs grating. :)

I had a customer call me about hers cracking and I thought it was weird! But, then I looked at mine and it was too. Small breaks all along the plastic.

I Had a customer return one for that reason a couple of months ago.
THEN... a couple of weeks ago at a show a customer picked mine up and tried to open the handle without pulling it towards her first, when it showed some resistants, she pulled harder and it cracked in the exact same place that the other customers microplane broke. Soooo.....
Im thinking it may have to do with people trying to open the handle without unlocking it first.

I've been using microplane graters for years without any problems. I was thrilled when PC contracted with them, but I think the design does need some reworking. Normally, microplane graters are straight...so maybe the design problem has to do with the adjustable angle mechanism.

I hope they fix this soon; I share at my shows that it is my favorite tool. I sell alot of them...don't want to feel I'm recommending a flawed product(yikes!)

Mine broke along the grater frame a few months ago. I got it replaced no problem. I actually had been using it with the cracks anyway, but one day when I was using it, the whole thing just split in two!

Related to Have you experienced cracking in your microplane graters?

What is a Microplane and why is it cracking?

A Microplane is a kitchen tool that is used for grating, zesting, and shredding foods such as cheese, citrus fruits, and vegetables. It is made of stainless steel and has small, sharp blades. The cracking of a Microplane can occur due to various reasons such as improper use, storing it in a cramped space, or using it on hard or frozen foods.

Can a cracked Microplane still be used?

It is not recommended to use a cracked Microplane as it can affect the functionality and safety of the tool. The cracks can also harbor bacteria, making it unhygienic to use. We recommend replacing a cracked Microplane for optimal performance and safety.

How can I prevent my Microplane from cracking?

To prevent your Microplane from cracking, make sure to use it correctly by applying light pressure and avoiding using it on hard or frozen foods. Also, store it in a designated space, away from other kitchen tools or utensils that can cause pressure or damage. Avoid placing heavy objects on top of the Microplane as well.

Is there a warranty for cracked Microplanes?

Unfortunately, our warranty does not cover cracks on Microplanes as it is considered damage caused by misuse or mishandling. However, if you received a damaged Microplane, please reach out to our customer service team for assistance.

Can I sharpen a Microplane to fix the cracks?

No, sharpening a Microplane will not fix the cracks. In fact, it can make the cracks worse and affect the functionality of the tool. We recommend replacing a cracked Microplane for the best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
JennLizFran
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
merego
  • amya
  • Products and Tips