• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hating the Ultimate Mandoline - Not Recommended!

In summary, the UM is different from the USG, but it is a pretty handy tool. I am not a creature who loves change, but I will try new things and with the UM, I was happy I tried it. The cheese grater is a lot of work, but I still enjoy using it. Frozen cheese actually seemed to make it harder to turn the wheel for me.
smarteez2
Gold Member
HATE and I mean HATE the Ultimate Mandonline? I just really can not stand it!! I will grab my USG in a heartbeat over that stupid UM!! I just can not get the hang of it!! The sad thing is, the last time I did a show I just demoed the tools and I ended up selling 2 or 3 of the UM!! (Got lucky that night i guess) But that is so my least favorite product!! I do not nor have not reccomended it!! YUCK.!! LOL Is that wrong?

It does take some getting used toIt is different from the USG. But safer and once you get the hang of it, it is a pretty handy tool. I am not a creature who loves change but I will try new things and with the Ultimate Mandolin, I was happy I tried it.
I tried it for the first time at a cluster meeting and thought it was pretty tough to handle. I also noticed it took more work than just slicing things with my hands until you got to the end and needed the prong tool to finish the job.
Give it some time but you know some products we will never love. That's what makes us all different. I have had so many people tell me they hate the cookie press. I love it!
I also do not like the cheese grater. I think it's too much trouble when I can buy the cheese shredded. It's great for parmesan, my husband loves it, and chocolate sprinkles. But large chunks of cheese, it's too much trouble. You have to cut out a little square and stick it in the hole, then turn and turn and turn until your arm falls off. And there's always some cheese stuck to the blades that doesn't get grated. Ok had to vent!

Debbie :D

I love the UM and hate to use my USG. That thing is SO dangerous. I have never cut myself on it, but I have run into MANY customers who have. I have cut myself with a knife, so I know how painful it is to slice a finger. Over two months later, I STILL have problems with my thumb (could barely get my DS out of his carseat this morning).

Buy some cheap veggies and spend some time with it and you'll get the hang of it.

I still can't seem to make the cheese grater work. Maybe I need to freeze it first like the new DVD says? It just makes a huge mess.

I also seem to have problems with the last piece of a veggie getting caught in the blade. Anyone else?

Frozen cheeseFrozen cheese actually seemed to make it harder to turn the wheel for me. I felt like I was grating a piece of wood!! LOL

But it still got caught in the blades. Maybe it's just me. :eek: I never demo that product anymore. I buy shredded cheese and show off other things I am more comfortable handling.

Debbie :D

I love my UM and my Cheese Grater.
With the UM...watch the video on CC a few times...remember there are guide tracks...two of them - make sure to be on the right track when you are using it - once you get the hang of it - it ROCKS!!!
The cheese grater - I dunno...I just adore it. I use it mostly for parmesan cheese in recipes and I find it grates beautifully! For soft cheeses, I nuke them for like 10-15 seconds before grating to release the oils and they grate nicely as well.

dannyzmom said:
The cheese grater - I dunno...I just adore it. I use it mostly for parmesan cheese in recipes and I find it grates beautifully! For soft cheeses, I nuke them for like 10-15 seconds before grating to release the oils and they grate nicely as well.

When I first started they recommended that softer cheeses be very cold and freeze the drums. Then about a year ago I was told to zap the cheese like Carolyn suggests. It works beautifully!! Just don't zap too long...you get a puddle :eek:

smarteez2 said:
HATE and I mean HATE the Ultimate Mandonline?

I DO

I DO

I can use the US&G without a problem - I LOVE the US&G
~

I love the new UM as well and also nuke the softer cheeses for 5-8 seconds depending on the microwave. I've sold A LOT of graters this way!:D
I also just used the grater for carrots today for the potstickers!

Whewwww
whiteyteresa said:
I DO

I DO

I can use the US&G without a problem - I LOVE the US&G
~

For a second there I thought I was the only one!! I can use the USG without a problem as well and I can use the UM But I simply abhore it!! LOL !!

What I hate about the UM is that you have to cut the onions in half to fit in the holder. I like to slice onion rings!!

lisacb77 said:
I still can't seem to make the cheese grater work. Maybe I need to freeze it first like the new DVD says? It just makes a huge mess.

I also seem to have problems with the last piece of a veggie getting caught in the blade. Anyone else?

I'm with you on the cheese thing. I refuse to grate the cheese in front of guests. It's too hard for me (even after putting in the freezer), I feel very clumsy. :eek: I will demo veggies with the crinkle cutter, and slicing other things (no tomatoes though).

I've been practicing and practicing..... but it is not my favorite

I am still getting used to my UM. I finally put my USG away so I would not be tempted to use it. Although it is safer I do not feel the new UM is as versatile. I can no longer do Peppers, I have to cut apples and onions in half. Tomatoes are a joke..... I have never been able to do cheese on either the USG or UM. Love my Cheese grater! definetly soften your cheese, works much better than freezing (in my oppinion)

I don't really like the cheese grater (but the micro advice works). I use a non-PC simple cheese plane. It's easy and tastes much beter than pre-shredded (which has cellulose in it to prevent caking). Shred too must? Add a little flour to prevent sticking together. I like the UM b/c I cut my thumb on the USG when I first started. However, b/c it catches as it pushes down the levers, tomatoes are harder to do. I liked how it worked, but didn't feel safe bringing it to shows (I had REALLY cut my thumb). Now I can bring it with confidence and no cringing. I'm glad it's safer.

I'm still getting used to the UM too; I"m going to practice with it this week, since it's the host special for March. I want to feel confident & able to say it's a good product when they ask.

For the cheese.....YES! microwave your chunk for 9 seconds; you will then love your grater:) When I first started; the thing was to freeze it....but you still had to squeeze the handle too hard. Nuking it is the key; makes it sooo easy to grate, and it doesn't stick to the grater either! I LOVE my grater!

Thanks for the input allI will keep using it and trying......but I still dont have to like it!! LOL :p

Related to Hating the Ultimate Mandoline - Not Recommended!

What is the Ultimate Mandoline and why do people hate it?

The Ultimate Mandoline is a popular kitchen tool used for slicing, dicing, and julienning fruits and vegetables quickly and easily. However, some people have reported issues with its functionality and durability, leading to a negative experience with the product.

What are the main complaints about the Ultimate Mandoline?

Some of the most common complaints about the Ultimate Mandoline include difficulty in achieving consistent cuts, blades becoming dull quickly, and the product breaking or malfunctioning after limited use.

Is there a way to improve the functionality of the Ultimate Mandoline?

While each individual's experience may vary, there are some tips that can help improve the functionality of the Ultimate Mandoline. These include sharpening the blades regularly, using a cutting board underneath for stability, and carefully following the instructions for assembly and use.

What should I do if I am not satisfied with my Ultimate Mandoline?

If you are not satisfied with your Ultimate Mandoline, we recommend reaching out to our customer service team for assistance. They may be able to offer troubleshooting tips or help resolve any issues you are having with the product.

Are there any alternative products to the Ultimate Mandoline?

Yes, there are many alternative mandolines on the market that may better meet your needs and preferences. We suggest researching and comparing different brands and models to find one that suits your cooking style and budget.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nancycookspc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
WLMcCoy
Replies
Views
merego
  • clshirk
  • Products and Tips
Replies