• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hanging onto Cookware/Stoneware Boxes: Moving Every 3-4 Years?

In summary, the author recommends hanging on to some of your cookware and stoneware boxes in order to avoid having to move frequently. She also recommends keeping some of the boxes for storing heavier items, such as stones, while her husband gets irritated with too many empty boxes lying around.
NMmommy
I have a question. Do you keep your stoneware and cookware boxes? We moved around the corner in housing last month. I had just gotten my cookware so it was still in the box. I was thinking we will be moving every three to four years. The packers are horrible. I think I am going to hang on to my cookware and stoneware boxes. Does anyone else do this?

I hang on to some of them for my stoneware. Probably 50% or so, not nearly as many as I have stones. My husband gets irritated with too many empty boxes lying around, so I don't keep all of them!! I guess he will see when we leave here exactly why I try to keep them.

On the upside, if they do end up breaking a ton of stuff I get to have a shopping spree on the government!!

stephanieboyd said:
I hang on to some of them for my stoneware. Probably 50% or so, not nearly as many as I have stones. My husband gets irritated with too many empty boxes lying around, so I don't keep all of them!! I guess he will see when we leave here exactly why I try to keep them.

On the upside, if they do end up breaking a ton of stuff I get to have a shopping spree on the government!!

Just let it be during double-points month!

Actually now that you mention it......it would be since our DEROS is Jan 31, 2009!! Perfect!!!

LMAO! I can just see Stephanie poorly packing her PC stuff to get new stones during double points! I wonder what colors will be available in 2009??

I am a miltary bratt.... but I have moved since I join TPC...... I kept my boxes for packing their really sturdy and thick compared to other moving boxes.

Well, lucky for me I don't have to pack or unpack anything in the house!! In this case it will be a German moving company that packs it up, then a local moving company who unpacks it at the new location.

But as long as we are dreaming.......the Germans aren't that gentile with things.......so how about a black glaze to match the new TTA and all of the ergonomic tools?? Or a charcoal grey to match the Exec cookware handles???

My sis lived on a base in Turkey and moved back to Anchorage. I saw her stuff as she helped unpack it and I couldn't believe how some of the Turkish packers prepared her things for that journey!! It seemed like every other thing was broken!

Mwahahahaha......precisely!!!!

Are ya getting the evil thoughts???

Oh yeah- and I vote for the charcoal grey!!

Wouldn't that be pretty with the french vanilla???

I don't keep mine for the simple fact the military house we are living in now doesn't have much room... so there for the space we have is used for other stuff, not empty boxes.

I kept three of the boxes for my bigger stone items.

Military packers are the worse! I can't believe how they packed my stuff when we moved from Florida to New Mexico. I love not having to pack myself. When we moved from a three bedroom to a fourbedroom last month. I told DH I was not moving again until TMO showed up.

I've been lucky so far, we have been through four moves and we haven't had anything broken. I love the fact that we don't have to pack. It makes it so much easier for us.

Thier horible... we moved around quite a bit when Iwas growing up....... my mom was always B&TC4I@g about stuff being broken!

My movers from Colorado broke my granmother's antique cedar chest!!! And of course, my husband was too busy with his job here that he didn't claim it, so I am going to have to pay to have it refurbished!! If it's even salvagable!!

We let the military move us once when we were first coming in. We do it ourself now and we've moved 4 times since then....it's ridiculous how they pack things to not be broken but they are in such a hurry to get it done and over with. They rescheduled with us 3 times before they finally showed up to get our stuff and it was only a 3 and a half hour drive! They busted a clock and our computer desk but the paperwork was a hassle and they never had to replace our things b/c the paperwork issues took past the 'date' for replacing. Move your self when you can and keep your stoneware boxes...they are definately way better than anything the movers use! If you let them move you, take what's important to you with you in your car!!:eek:

Just so you all know...you can stop a pack out in process if you feel that the movers are being careless with your items.

So far I have been very blessed with my moves. Our movers in California were stoned so everything was pack very methodically. We moved in Japan twice and then we had Japanese movers pack us out for our move back to the states. Our movers here in Virginia were great too when we moved onto base. It might be that I bribe my movers too.....that has always helped! LOL!!

As far as keeping boxes.....I only keep stoneware boxes for the stones that I don't regularly use. Since I don't have room in my OH so tiny kitchen for all my stones (there is not one that I do not have!), the boxed ones are in my office on top of my bookcases.

We moved ourselves once before we had kids. I will never do that again! LOL!! Oh and I make them unpack for me too.......they are getting paid to pack AND unpack!

I keep all my stoneware and Simple Additions boxes. I have a mound of them in our attic. (Yes, we have an attic on base, two actually.) I was blessed throughout my career and I never had too many problems. When I PCS from here as a dependent, I hope I'm equally lucky!

Oh, and I have them unpack as well! AND I did call TMO once when being packed out in Italy.

LOL! I have to keep most of my stoneware boxes. My kitchen is SOOOO small. I don't have anywhere to put the bigger ones. I am keeping them in the boxes in the laundry room.

PamperedChefDebi said:
I keep all my stoneware and Simple Additions boxes. I have a mound of them in our attic. (Yes, we have an attic on base, two actually.) I was blessed throughout my career and I never had too many problems. When I PCS from here as a dependent, I hope I'm equally lucky!

Oh, and I have them unpack as well! AND I did call TMO once when being packed out in Italy.

Great minds Debi!;)

That's good to know that I can stop it if need be. We're Etsing here very soon and are still debating on having the military do it or us doing it ourselves. I know we get paid to do it ourselves, but I've also seen it where they overpay and immediately take that money back (where as if they owe you it takes forever--it's the military way lol). I think we may be letting them do it this time just because it's further than when we came here.:rolleyes:

pampermeplease said:
That's good to know that I can stop it if need be. We're Etsing here very soon and are still debating on having the military do it or us doing it ourselves. I know we get paid to do it ourselves, but I've also seen it where they overpay and immediately take that money back (where as if they owe you it takes forever--it's the military way lol). I think we may be letting them do it this time just because it's further than when we came here.:rolleyes:

I really think that as military families we get conditioned to accept what we are given without asking questions. I am lucky enough to be involved with a great program-LINKS that Marine Corps Family Team Building created. It is based off an Army program. The Navy and AF both have one as well. Basically it is boot camp for spouses. I learned SO much about "my" lifestyle and highly recommend those programs to ALL spouses. If nothing else you learn about DLA and SO many people don't know about it!

We are only moving 200 or so miles for our next move-Norfolk Va to Camp Lejeune NC so a DITY move is an option that would not be all that hard but I jsut can't even fathom the idea. I am sure we will be moving some stuff so a partial DITY is a reality. But the whole thing? I'd rather walk across stage at conference in my birthday suit. LOL!!!:p

i tried to keep mine, but my hubby opened the spare closet and they all fell on him.. i laughed he didn't :p so in to the trash they went i'm not worried about it really the only thing that broke from our fl to japan move was one picture frame!!! so like stated before they will replace them and i'll get new hth

Related to Hanging onto Cookware/Stoneware Boxes: Moving Every 3-4 Years?

1. Can I reuse the same box for my cookware or stoneware when I move?

While it may be tempting to reuse the same box for your cookware or stoneware, it is not recommended. The boxes can become weakened over time and may not provide enough protection for your items during a move. It's best to use a new box for each move to ensure the safety of your cookware and stoneware.

2. How should I pack my cookware and stoneware in the boxes?

To pack your cookware and stoneware, start by wrapping each item individually in packing paper or bubble wrap. Then, place the heaviest items on the bottom of the box and layer lighter items on top. Fill any empty spaces with packing material to prevent shifting during the move. Finally, label the box as fragile and indicate which side should be facing up.

3. Can I pack other items with my cookware and stoneware in the same box?

It is not recommended to pack other items with your cookware and stoneware in the same box. The weight of other items can cause damage to your cookware and stoneware during the move. It's best to use a separate box for other items or to place them in a different layer within the box.

4. How long can I keep my cookware and stoneware in the boxes?

Ideally, cookware and stoneware should not be stored in boxes for more than 3-4 years. Keeping them in the boxes for extended periods of time can cause damage or decrease the quality of the items. It's best to unpack and use them as soon as possible after a move.

5. Do I need to label the boxes with my cookware and stoneware?

It is highly recommended to label the boxes with your cookware and stoneware as fragile. This will alert movers and yourself to handle the boxes with care during the move. You can also indicate which side should be facing up to further prevent any damage to your items.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
  • ShelbyMichalek
  • General Chat
Replies