• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Growing Food on a Deck: Bell Peppers, Basil & Tomatoes

In summary, Nikki recommends trying Basil, Bell peppers, and tomatoes in a container on your porch this year. She recommends using Miracle Grow Potting Soil and recommends looking for an old washtub with character or another fun container. She also advises keeping them pinched back and adds that if you are going to keep them year round, you will need to bring them in when its cold.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I'm really interested in trying to grow some food this year. I'd probably be growing in pots on our deck rather than digging an actual garden. The first things I'd like to try are bell peppers and basil and maybe tomatoes. Any tips? Directions? I don't have much of a green thumb so I really have no clue what I'm doing!

I'm not much of a gardener myself, but I know this is called "container gardening"...if you google that, I'm sure you'll get lots of information! Good luck!

I much prefer Pot Gardens to anything else. In fact, because I rent I am very hesitant to put anything n the ground.Go look at your local garden store, not really walmart. if you have a public nursery that would be best. There should be just what you are looking for! I always use Miracle Grow Potting Soil too bc it is already full of fertilizer and all the vitamins your plants needs.Ive never done bell peppers or basil. But decide what kind of tomatoes you want. They are a pain to grow upright though bc of weight the tomatoes give. Im going to try one of those upside down things this year.Ive never heard of it called 'container gardening', maybe is an area thing. Google both of them. If you go to an actual Nursery then they should be able to give you a lot of advice. I usually know more about the plants when I ask ppl at Walmart, Home Depot or LowesIf you are going to keep them year round be sure to bring them in when its going to be too cold. I have a bad habit of not doing that and I lose a lot of plants to weather. Although here in Louisiana you wouldnt think we would have freeze warnings ;)

I'd be afraid to google "pot garden"! Never know what'll come up!

nikked said:

lol :D - and here my brain wasnt even thinking along those lines :eek:

just another manic Monday.... oh wait its not Monday either...... man the week is going by too quick :balloon::balloon:

If you've got some room on your porch, try an Earthbox or two. They are awesome and produce some great veggies.

nikked said:

LOL! Thanks Nikki for the laugh of the day!

do you like to go to garage sales or flea markets?
Look for an old washtub with character
or other fun container I use my In laws old copper boiler it is oblong and I cram, as many herbs in there as possible
The key to being successful is keeping them pinched back

Dutchess said:
I much prefer Pot Gardens to anything else. In fact, because I rent I am very hesitant to put anything n the ground.

Go look at your local garden store, not really walmart. if you have a public nursery that would be best. There should be just what you are looking for! I always use Miracle Grow Potting Soil too bc it is already full of fertilizer and all the vitamins your plants needs.

Ive never done bell peppers or basil. But decide what kind of tomatoes you want. They are a pain to grow upright though bc of weight the tomatoes give. Im going to try one of those upside down things this year.

Ive never heard of it called 'container gardening', maybe is an area thing. Google both of them. If you go to an actual Nursery then they should be able to give you a lot of advice. I usually know more about the plants when I ask ppl at Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes

If you are going to keep them year round be sure to bring them in when its going to be too cold. I have a bad habit of not doing that and I lose a lot of plants to weather. Although here in Louisiana you wouldnt think we would have freeze warnings ;)

We tried upside down tomatoes and peppers last year...what a waste for us.

It's called container gardening here too - and I'm looking to do more of it this year, along with some Straw Bale gardening. (using Straw Bales instead of containers and soil.) Always trying to figure out how to maximize what little space I have.

Basil is EASY! Cilantro is a bit more challenging. Rosemary, Chives, and Oregano are perennials, so they will grow back every year. I do all of those in Clay Pots, and line my front walkway with them. It's sunny there, and I water the flowers on a daily basis, so it's easy to water those too. Herbs grown in pots just need plenty of sun, and adequate water, and they'll do great!

You can buy tomato plants that are specifically for growing in containers - they will say on them "good for container gardening" or "good as a patio plant"....Personally, I never start my tomatoes from seed - I always buy tomato plants later in the season. (like for MI, the beginning of May.)

Dude, I'm flashing back to the Sixties with all the pot and earthbox talk. Like groovy, man...

You can even grow your plants directly in the bags of soil if you don't want to purchase a container. Plants aren't too picky as long as you give them water! It all depends on how pleasing to the 'eye' you want their growing environment. I've planted potatoes in a stack of tires, tomatoes and peppers in bags of peat moss, herbs in my flower beds, etc.

1. Can I grow bell peppers, basil, and tomatoes on my deck?

Yes, you can definitely grow these plants on your deck. They can thrive in containers and require minimal space, making them perfect for small outdoor spaces like decks or balconies.

2. What type of containers should I use for growing these plants?

For bell peppers, it is recommended to use a 5-gallon container. Basil can be grown in smaller containers, such as 4-inch pots, while tomatoes will need a larger container, such as a 10-gallon pot. Make sure the containers have drainage holes at the bottom.

3. How often should I water these plants?

These plants require consistent watering, especially during hot and dry weather. Check the soil moisture every day and water when the top inch of soil is dry. Be careful not to overwater, as it can lead to root rot.

4. Do I need to fertilize these plants?

Yes, it is recommended to fertilize these plants every 2-3 weeks with a balanced fertilizer. You can also use organic fertilizers like compost or fish emulsion. This will provide the necessary nutrients for healthy growth and abundant harvest.

5. How much sunlight do these plants need?

Bell peppers, basil, and tomatoes all require plenty of sunlight to grow and produce fruit. Make sure to place them in a spot on your deck that receives at least 6-8 hours of sunlight per day. If your deck does not get enough sunlight, you can use grow lights to supplement.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
StacieB
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • mrshamel3808
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Jess_K