• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Going Home for Christmas...write Off??

and recruited them as long as I have done at least 50% of the talking and not just handed out fliers or cards.
nicolespcshows
All,
I live in Florida and have decided that I am going to go to Illinois for Christmas. I was wondering if I did a few shows while I was home and possibly recruit my sister...who doesn't even know that I am going to be trying to recruit her yet...can I write off all my mileage if I drive home? Also, what other expenses can I write off.

Officially, you have to be doing business for at least 50% of the time in order to write off all of the trip.

If you conduct business at your destination - you can write off your travel expenses - I live in Illinois and am traveling to Florida visit my parents for Thanksgiving and my Mom is going to host a show so I'll be able to write off my airfare (just mine - not the whole family).

It is a great deal. I don't know what percentage of meals and things - but just being able to write-off the gas and mileage would be a great tax break for you!

Good luck getting shows and your sister! I wish I had more cousins or sisters so that I could try to recruit them!!

I would talk to a professional Tax Accountant.

I went to CC, went under downloads, and then went into the tax information area to find out what publication I needed to tell me all these things. I just ordered it and a small business cd from the IRS this week. I forget the publication number or I would post. I recommend everyone getting these publications to know what you can do from the IRS.

I am not really concerned about the meals and such, I would just like to write off our mileage if we can.

Somewhere (I have no clue where), I read that you needed to do business every day of your trip in order to deduct it. So, you could talk to your sister one day, drive to store to buy ingredients the next, do a show the next, etc. It's not the total amount of time as much as the total "intent" of the trip. Is it a business trip with some free time on the side or is it a vacation with some business mixed in? You have to give the impression of the first of these. Just my non-professional opinion....

beepampered said:
Just my non-professional opinion....
That's ALL I have to offer! LOL

ETA: I have written off weekend trips where I have spoken to people about the opp.

What expenses can I write off when going home for Christmas?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you can deduct expenses related to your business trip home for Christmas, including airfare or mileage, hotel accommodations, and meals. Keep track of all your receipts and make sure to only deduct the portion of these expenses that are directly related to your business, such as attending a Christmas party or meeting with clients.

Do I need to keep track of my time spent working during my trip?

Yes, it is important to keep track of the time you spend working during your trip home for Christmas. This includes any business-related activities such as meeting with clients, hosting parties, or attending training events. This will help you accurately calculate the portion of your trip that can be deducted as a business expense.

Can I write off gifts I purchase for family and friends?

No, gifts for family and friends cannot be written off as a business expense. Only gifts that are directly related to your business, such as promotional items for clients, can be deducted. Keep in mind that the IRS has strict guidelines for what qualifies as a business gift, so make sure to consult with a tax professional for guidance.

I am staying with family during my trip. Can I still deduct lodging expenses?

If you are staying with family or friends during your trip, you cannot deduct lodging expenses as a business expense. However, you may be able to deduct a portion of your trip if you conduct business activities from their home, such as hosting a party or meeting with clients.

What documentation do I need to provide for these write-offs?

It is important to keep accurate records and documentation for all business expenses you plan to write off. This includes receipts, mileage logs, and any other relevant documents. Make sure to consult with a tax professional for specific guidelines and requirements for documenting business expenses.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lpacker
  • wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • koima