• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Gift Ideas for a HS Senior Going Off to College: Dorm Essentials and More!

In summary, Janet provided a summary of the content. She suggested getting the college student a gift certificate to a local restaurant, laundry detergent, a pampered chef product, a webcam, and a local salon/massage parlor. She also suggested a gift for the college student that is essential, like a egg crate mattress pad or a bathrobe. She also suggested getting the college student a mini fridge.
naekelsey
Gold Member
This has nothing to do with PC but wanted to pick your brains, you all have such good ideas!!

Does anyone have any suggestions of what a HS Senior going off to college 7 hrs away would LOVE for a gift(s)? She will be living in the dorms, won't see them for a couple of more weeks.

I always seem to get "the" present for kids bdays. (may freak some of you out) but for every baby shower I go to I always include a package of super ab long sanitary napkins. (This may seem "ick" to give and may freak some of you out, but EVERYONE always loves this gift. It is the one thing they will REALLY use and most of the time forget to get)

I seem to have no problems with any other occasion but this one has me stumped!!!

Thanks bunches!!

PS: Can anyone suggest some grant sites also?

DS son is also going off to college in the fall and I would love to hear about grant sites as well!!

As far as gifts I am making an essential package (pampered chef products that will make life easier in the dorm) and other things like laundry items.

:D Here's what I Have. It's probably outdated but it should still help!!!

Attachments

• Dorm Room Survival.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 291
Don't know if you're looking for PC or non-PC, practical or "gifty"...I'm a practical person so here are a few from that perspective...or that she'd enjoy...

Search for local restaurants in the area and get her some gift certificates. Kids always need to eat...

Rolls of quarters for the laundromat...

A nice, easy to carry laundry bag...

A webcam so she can contact you at home and chat (only if you think it won't be used for other things...)

Also search for a local salon, or massage parlor and get her a certificate for when it gets "stressful" she can have a "getaway". Make sure the certificate doesn't expire too soon! :)

What great Ideas Janet!!!:D

Being that I just graduated from college a few years ago, I have to second restaurant gift cards... Places like Chilis, IHOP, etc. Cheap places that their friends will want to go even without gift cards are the best. My dad always gave me a gift card or two (around $25-$50) everytime I went home and it was the best!

A egg crate mattress pad is a must if she is living in the dorms, as those beds are not fun. Gift certificates to target, container store, walmart, etc are good, as once she moves in, she will realize what she forgot and need to get it immediately (in my case it was a hair dryer!).

Granola bars and those little crystal light mixes for water bottles are good too, as sleep often precludes breakfast, so that is a grab and go.

If you know any college students living in a place where they have to buy their own toilet paper, that is an awesome present, some good charmin, as tp is more costly than I ever would have imagined growing up! :)

Does the school have any blankets in their colors at the bookstore? Mine had a sweatshirt blanket that was hit with every student! That would be a great present! Any school sweatshirts/tshirts/flip-flops, etc is great to start the year out and to wear over summer to get excited!

If the dorms have communal bathrooms/showers a nice bathrobe is a must, as too many horror stories of people being locked out of rooms with just a towel on! :eek:

If you have any ideas for what you want to theme the present, let me know and I can certainly give you ideas! Hope this helps! :D

naekelsey said:
PS: Can anyone suggest some grant sites also?
When I googled Grant, I came up with this:

GEGR_kh33zz24_gegr_three.jpg

As Groucho would have said, "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?"

I can answer that KG - my great, great, great uncle! :)

He wasn't that great, was he?

For scholarships and grants, try www.fastweb.com. They have lots of options, although it is best to begin applying while DD or DS is a junior, or just beginning senior year.

I love the survival suggestions!! My DS is going to college this fall and I have been wondering what he will need. I didn't get the pleasure of experiencing dorm life, so I have no idea what he will need. Keep the ideas coming!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
He wasn't that great, was he?

Only to me and even more so to my kids...to my dad, and grandpa, he was less and less great. :p

if they can have a mini frige in thier dorm it might be a good idea to get one of those. I also agree with Janets suggestions they sound like a great idea.

A clothes rack dryer is nice as well!!

Jennie4PC said:
if they can have a mini frige in thier dorm it might be a good idea to get one of those. I also agree with Janets suggestions they sound like a great idea.

Ok, I have to admit out of 8 years of college, I didn't spend ANY in the dorms myself...but my friends did... :) ...and I've bought for others...

So glad you "dorm people" agree with the suggestions...

Jennifer - like the clothes rack one too! :)

Homemade cookies. My friends used to follow me to the campus post office when I received a package, just on the off chance that it was cookies again.

I'm in college right now. I know a lot of my friends parents didn't give official gifts when they went off to college, because they were chipping in on the mini-fridge, microwave, computer, printer, etc. and all of that adds up pretty quick. My parents gave me a laptop as my gift, and the rest I purchased myself. But all the big stuff aside, I have to agree with the gift certificate suggestions. Restaurants, Movie rental stores, Walmart, all of those types of things are great, because once you get to school you realize that the spending money starts to run out fast. Also, I second the sweatshirts and other items with the school logo on them. They're really fun and great to wear around campus, but they're something I could never justify spending the money on myself when I didn't have much to go around. I would have loved to have received some as a gift. So basically, everyone else had really awesome ideas! Sorry I don't have any new ones to add.

Thanks for all the great ideas!! I am not sure about what is in her dorm or even if she will have a kitchen to use!! Do I call the school to find this stuff out? I had a scholarship to use when I graduated HS but I also had a 8 month old dd to take care of (the one going off to college) so never went to college...I am at a loss as to what to even ask...

Thanks guys!!!

Oh yes...Do people "register" when they are going off to college? Would it be okay to put in a list of what she needs for college in with her HS graduation invite? Do not want to offend anyone!!

naekelsey said:
Thanks for all the great ideas!! I am not sure about what is in her dorm or even if she will have a kitchen to use!! Do I call the school to find this stuff out? I had a scholarship to use when I graduated HS but I also had a 8 month old dd to take care of (the one going off to college) so never went to college...I am at a loss as to what to even ask...

Thanks guys!!!

I received all of that information regarding what to bring with my housing information in the spring. I'm sure it's online as well though. What college is she going to?

She is going to CSU Monterey Bay...7 hrs away from home.

I did a quick search and this is what i came up with, hopefully it helps you a little:

http://housing.csumb.edu/site/x18333.xml

As far as wish list for invites, 95% of people gave me money (for both h.s. and college, so I think it's true for all). I got some gift cards and the only people that bought me stuff was close family who asked me what I wanted. You really shouldn't have to worry about what people buy her; yes you will have the well meaning relative that buys the most horrific present that is so ugly and not practical, but for every one of those she should rake in the cash, so it evens out... hth!

Thanks Britt!! That is very helpful.. Does anyone have a clue when they find out who there roommates are? Anytime before school or when they move into the dorms?

So should I not include a wish list with graduation invites. Should the two, (graduation and going off to college) be seperate. ( more mula for dd!! LOL)

Your welcome! I found out who my roommate was over the summer before. By the sound of that website, she should find out in advance, because it's helpful for coordinating who's bringing what. (You don't need two fridges, etc.) As for the wish list, it's up to you. I know bed bath and beyond does a college registry or something of that sort. I personally didn't do one, and I ended up getting all money, which was great because I could buy what I needed and save the rest for textbooks. I only had one party for both graduation and going off to college. But that's really up to you how you want to do it.

Are you having 2 seperate parties? If so, the invites should definitely be seperate. I made little announcement cards that I mailed off before college, as I only had a grad party. That way people had my new college address and would hopefully send me homemade goodies in the mail!

I wouldn't include a wish list. Most people know to give money, and if they ask you, you can always tell them "she is saving for a mini-fridge" or "there's a great Target right by her campus" or something like that so they know what she wants. I would feel a little put off if someone included a wish list with an invite that wasn't a wedding or baby party invite... but that's just my 2 cents...

A lot of places are starting to do registries for college. Maybe if there's a certain place she plans to shop and ppl ask for ideas you can say a gc to Bed Bath and Beyond or whatever if they prefer not do to do cash?

On the other hand, I have a potential host wanting to do a show right before she goes off to college. I can see some of our things coming in handy, even if you can't cook in your dorm, such as the outdoor plates and utensils. I'll have to let y'all know if it pans out!

We sent our oldest last fall.
He loves the Starbucks gift cards we send each month. for his birthday this month we bought him a Krups Home Cafe for tea or coffee,
Quarters for the laundry are always a good choice
For girls a bulletin board that is deocrated
a tower fan
boxes of shout color catchers for the laundry (enough to last the year) so they don't ruin the new clothes they buy!
slippers
If thye have their own bathroom a shower curtain instead of the boring ivory one provided.

1. How can Pampered Chef help with meal preparation for a college student?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of products designed to simplify meal preparation, including quick and easy recipes, kitchen tools, and meal prep containers. These products can help a college student save time and money while still enjoying healthy and delicious meals.

2. What are some must-have products for a college student living in a dorm?

Some essential products for a college student living in a dorm include a microwave cooker for quick and easy meals, a knife set for preparing fresh fruits and vegetables, and a mini chopper for making homemade dips and sauces. Our collapsible meal prep containers and insulated lunch bags are also great for on-the-go meals.

3. Are there any special discounts or offers for college students?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a 10% discount for college students with a valid student ID. This discount can be applied to any purchase, making it easier for students to afford the products they need for meal preparation.

4. Can Pampered Chef products be used in a college dorm room?

Yes, many of our products are designed for small spaces, making them perfect for college dorm rooms. Our microwave cooker, mini chopper, and collapsible meal prep containers are all compact and easy to store.

5. Does Pampered Chef offer any meal planning resources for college students?

Yes, we have a variety of quick and easy recipes on our website, as well as meal planning tips and ideas. We also offer virtual cooking classes where a consultant can provide personalized meal planning advice for college students.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pcchefjane
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Wildfire