• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Remove an Unwanted Toolbar from Windows Vista?

In summary, there is a new translucent toolbar appearing on a Windows Vista laptop with 8 tabs and symbols, which can be toggled using the Esc-F9 keys. It seems to be a shortcut feature related to the transparency function of Vista. Some users suggest contacting Microsoft for assistance, while others recommend switching to a different operating system.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
Anybody know what this is and how to get rid of it?

I'm running Windows Vista on my laptop. Just recently a new toolbar has decided to pop in and out of my life and it's driving me crazy! I don't know what it is used for or how to get rid of it (I'm assuming it's related to Vista). Anyhow, it is at the very top of my screen. It is translucent and sort of dark gray/ light gray and clearish in color.....I can see through it and see what is behind it. There are 8 tabs and each one has a symbol on it for something (they look like:
#1 says SPACE with a +
#2 = a person
#3 = a heart
#4 = another person
#5 = can't describe
#6 = musical note
#7 = wrench
#8 = a box with vertical lines).

Sometimes it is there and other times it scrolls out of view, if I move my mouse to the top of my screen it reappears.

That's about the best I can describe. Anyone know what it is? And, more importantly how I can get rid of it?! Or, if it has some sort of great value to me, can you please tell me what that is?

Thanks so much! I'm off to a show now, hopefully you smarties will have an answer for me when I return this evening.

Last edited:
wow linda, i have no idea. i have vista too but have never seen that. i would suggest you just call microsoft and ask them. they should be able to tell you and it shouldnt cost a thing. oooorrrrrr ...... wait for a smartie to help ya :)

Okay Smarties, where are ya?

Evidently I hit something that toggles it. Now it has:

Esc
F1
F2
F3
F4
F5
F6
F7
F8
F9
SPACE

What is this and how do I get it off of here?

Ann.....I think you are the resident guru geek where o where are ya when I need ya? ......help me!

I definitely would NOT call me a "smartie" but I just tried to press all those keys and see if anything happens on my computer.... and nothing happened. I have vista also so I don't know how it would be related. You got me on that one???!!:confused:

Carissidy said:
I definitely would NOT call me a "smartie" but I just tried to press all those keys and see if anything happens on my computer.... and nothing happened. I have vista also so I don't know how it would be related. You got me on that one???!!:confused:
Yeah, nothing happens here either. I'm thinking that it is some sort of short-cut key thing that I can program. But honestly, I just want them to go away! I have a good friend that is a Certified Windows expert person (whatever the real term is I don't know, but he can do anything to a computer ;) ) and I'm going to call him Monday if any of you all don't have an answer.

I will be sure to watch this thread because apparently there are a lot of odd things to learn that are happening with Vista. What a PIA! My brother warned me about it but I am the older sister and went with the laptop I liked best :) ... see were that got me?

Sorry to be the one to give you the bad news about VISTA, but do not use. My husband owns a computer business and has many clients weekly with VISTA issues. VISTA is keeping us in business though. Many new computers are coming installed with this, but it is easy to uninstall and install Windows XP or Windows 2000 Professional. No problems with these.

I have Vista too and haven't seen it yet. I really haven't had a problem yet. Well, other than within a week while watching DVD some how the config.sys got corrupted. It has been fixed and no problems since.

If I see it and get it figured out, I wil let you know how to fix it. If you figure it out, please post too in case we have this problem.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Julie, Isn't expensive to purchase a compatible version such as Windows XP to replace vista?

pamperedlinda said:
Ann.....I think you are the resident guru geek where o where are ya when I need ya? ......help me!
Sorry, Linda. I don't run Vista. In fact, I only run Windows when I absolutely have to (P3, car club software, and work).

chefann said:
Sorry, Linda. I don't run Vista. In fact, I only run Windows when I absolutely have to (P3, car club software, and work).
But you are so smart ....... :cry:

Awwwww, Linda, you're so sweet.I did a little looking on Google, and it looks like one of the features of Vista is transparency (seeing through the menu, like you mentioned in your first post), and the ability to customize menus. It sounds like you've somehow activated a shortcut menu, because the first items matched closely to the quick buttons that are on most keyboards (email, music, address book, web browser, etc.), and the second set are your F keys, which are used in most programs as shortcuts for things (in Word, F4 will redo the last action, so you can easily repeat things like formatting).Have you looked in the Vista help for something?

chefann said:
Awwwww, Linda, you're so sweet.

I did a little looking on Google, and it looks like one of the features of Vista is transparency (seeing through the menu, like you mentioned in your first post), and the ability to customize menus. It sounds like you've somehow activated a shortcut menu, because the first items matched closely to the quick buttons that are on most keyboards (email, music, address book, web browser, etc.), and the second set are your F keys, which are used in most programs as shortcuts for things (in Word, F4 will redo the last action, so you can easily repeat things like formatting).

Have you looked in the Vista help for something?
You mean research it myself? :yuck: No, I was hoping that someone here would already know and save me the trouble! :p I figured I must have opened something that I don't know what it is.

Actually, I've got a busy show schedule this weekend :love: . DH and DS are going camping tomorrow for a few days and I'll have plenty of time to myself in the next few days :D . So unless someone here already knows what the heck this is and can tell me what I did and how to undo it - then I guess I'll have to do the legwork myself.

And Ann, you know we love you and that you are the queen of all knowledge!

Carissidy said:
Thanks for the info Julie, Isn't expensive to purchase a compatible version such as Windows XP to replace vista?
If it isn't expensive to do so please someone let me know!! I miss me Windows XP :cry:

Does the transparent bar have the +v- at the top?

I have Vista, sorry Linda I don't know about the tool bar! I haven't had any problems with mine. neither have my friends

Carissidy -- it would cost you about $100. I suggest getting used to it in lieu being an alarmist in reaction and then shelling out money to downgrade to something else. If you don't get used to using it now, where will you be in a few years when XP is comepltely obsolete and 3 new Vista clone versions coming out.

Personally, I'm using Vista and loving it. Have been using it about a month or so and while it took a little getting used to at first, I'm really not seeing why people are having such a negative knee jerk reaction to it. However, this is nothing new -- people did the same thing with Windows 95, 98, ME, XP... and the only BAD one out of the lot there was ME, really. Yes, its frustrating to learn somethign new sometimes, but getting used to it now instead of causing more frustration later seems to be a more positive appraoch.

Linda -- I'll look in to your issue and see if I can replicate what you activated. :) I'll post here if I can figure it out. :) So far the closest thing I have found to it would be the Windows Sidebar. The Help section actually was pretty helpful on it. Start button, Help and Support, and then type windows sidebar in the search area. Let me know if that helps at all. If not, I'll keep looking :)

Last edited:
yummybytes said:
......Linda -- I'll look in to your issue and see if I can replicate what you activated. :) I'll post here if I can figure it out. :)
Thanks. It's not really what I'd consider a problem. It's just annoying and I haven't had time to figure out what the heck it is and wht it suddenly appeared. I've been using Vista since Feb when I bought this laptop and I love it. Took a little getting used to though.

i use vista too and have been for about 2 or 3 month s.. i love it .. it took my parents a while to get used to it but i have had no problems what so ever ... i love it!

Linda,

My husband, also my little computer geek, doesn't think that it's part of Vista. He thinks maybe it's a web browser tool bar. You said you see it intermittently. Is it always on the same programs?

Here are his suggestions:
1) Go to Control Panel - Programs - Programs and Features and see if there are any programs installed that shouldn't be. If so, uninstall it/themt.
2) Run Windows Defender, a spyware detector included with Vista.

Good luck!

dianevill said:
Linda,

My husband, also my little computer geek, doesn't think that it's part of Vista. He thinks maybe it's a web browser tool bar. You said you see it intermittently. Is it always on the same programs?

Here are his suggestions:
1) Go to Control Panel - Programs - Programs and Features and see if there are any programs installed that shouldn't be. If so, uninstall it/themt.
2) Run Windows Defender, a spyware detector included with Vista.

Good luck!
Thanks Diane,

Nope, it's always there at the top of my screen. It does scroll out of site from time to time, but it's there no matter what program I'm in. I'm going to call my friend today and see if we can get rid of it (or if it has some great value to me to tell me what it is!).

Tell your DH thanks, but so far as option #1 is concerned, I would have NO IDEA what is supposed to be there! I would probably delete something that I need! LMAO

When I get the answer, I'll post for all of you.

Linda

Update!!!I finally got rid of this! Yippie!!! This has been driving me crazy for months. Today it really got on my nerves and I finally figured it out.....it was the Toshiba Flash Cards. This stupid little program was hidden under about 3 levels before I could find out how to disable it.....I'm so happy!

1. How do I remove unwanted toolbars from my Windows Vista toolbar?

To remove unwanted toolbars from your Windows Vista toolbar, follow these steps:
1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Click on "Programs and Features".
3. Find the toolbar you want to remove and click on it.
4. Click on "Uninstall" or "Change/Remove" button.
5. Follow the prompts to complete the removal process.
Note: If the toolbar is not listed in "Programs and Features", you may need to uninstall it through your web browser's settings or by using a specialized uninstaller program.

2. Can I disable a toolbar without completely removing it?

Yes, you can disable a toolbar without completely removing it. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Open your web browser.
2. Click on the menu button (usually indicated by three horizontal lines) and select "Add-ons" or "Extensions".
3. Find the toolbar you want to disable and click on "Disable".
4. Refresh your browser to see the changes.
Note: This option may not be available for all toolbars, and some may automatically re-enable themselves after a certain period of time.

3. How do I prevent unwanted toolbars from installing on my computer?

To prevent unwanted toolbars from installing on your computer, follow these steps:
1. Be cautious when downloading and installing software from the internet, as many toolbars are bundled with other programs.
2. Read carefully through the installation process and uncheck any boxes that mention installing additional toolbars.
3. Keep your web browser and operating system up to date, as updates often include security patches that can prevent unwanted installations.
4. Use an antivirus program that includes web protection, which can block known malicious toolbars from installing.

4. How can I tell if a toolbar is safe to use?

It is always best to research a toolbar before installing it to determine if it is safe to use. Some things to consider include:
- The reputation of the toolbar and its developer
- User reviews and ratings
- The permissions the toolbar requests when installing
- Any red flags or warnings from your antivirus program
If you are unsure about the safety of a particular toolbar, it is best to err on the side of caution and not install it.

5. Is it possible to remove all toolbars from my Windows Vista toolbar?

Yes, it is possible to remove all toolbars from your Windows Vista toolbar. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Right-click on the toolbar and select "Toolbars".
2. Uncheck all of the listed toolbars to remove them from the toolbar.
3. If there are still toolbars remaining, right-click on the toolbar again and select "Close Toolbar". This will remove all remaining toolbars from the toolbar.
Note: This may not remove all toolbars from your computer, as some may be integrated into your web browser and require additional steps to remove.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pctharper
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ejleinenbach
  • lisa717
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Intrepid_Chef