• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Get Ready for Next Year: Expense Tracking Tips

In summary, you can deduct the following expenses for your business: -Testing recipes -Mileage to and from stores with deductable items -Ingredients you take to shows as an incentive for hosts -Supply orders (automatically asks you if you want your supply order to go into your expenses, just say yes) -Sample orders (products to display
cookingwithlove
Gold Member
I need to be more prepared next year. Does anybody have a good spread sheet for compiling expenses. I use PP3 for most of the expenses, but what about the mileage, gas, phone...

Thanks for any insights!

I don't have a spreadsheet, but I bought a very inexpensive ($2) mileage tracker at Office Depot that I keep in my car. It is about the size of a pocket calendar & there are spaces to write other expenses as well.

Since I have a real room to call my office I just make copies of my utilities and put them in my "taxes" folder in my file cabinet. At the end of the year I figure out %'s and stuff.

cookingwithlove said:
I need to be more prepared next year. Does anybody have a good spread sheet for compiling expenses. I use PP3 for most of the expenses, but what about the mileage, gas, phone...

Thanks for any insights!
You can add categories to P3 for those expenses, just keep receipts. Mileage is already in P3. In fact, there's a place to enter it on each show. I really like using P3 to track all my expenses, because the report it generates is so handy for tax time.

chefann said:
You can add categories to P3 for those expenses, just keep receipts. Mileage is already in P3. In fact, there's a place to enter it on each show. I really like using P3 to track all my expenses, because the report it generates is so handy for tax time.

This is exactly what I do too. I add all the extra categories I need, such as mortgage, gas, power, water, garbage etc. :) :thumbup: :thumbup:

I put my expenses in P3 also and added the categories I needed.

I have a question about giving this to my accountant though. The report I ran is very detailed like mileage by each show, etc. Do you just give them that report or do you do another spreadhseet with just the categories and the totals? This is my first tax year with PC and I don't know how detailed they need the expenses.

thanks.

Well, my accountant is DH (not actually an accountant), and I just give him the printout of the report, and he puts the totals for each category in the applicable spot on the Schedule C.

I thought I had to tie the expense to a show in PP3, but it sounds like I can just add random expenses? Is this correct, if so can you tell me how?

cookingwithlove said:
I thought I had to tie the expense to a show in PP3, but it sounds like I can just add random expenses? Is this correct, if so can you tell me how?
Yes...I add in my receipts for testing food, mileage for team meetings and other "non show" mileage, my new GPS system, etc.

There is a space on there to "edit" catagories. You can add catagories there. I made one for "National Conference" so all of my conference expenses showed up together on my expense report for the year.

In P3, you click the little dollar sign button on the top to add an expense. If it's not associated with a specific show, just leave the show number box empty.Tracking your expenses as the year progresses is a good way to check whether you're overspending on your business and need to cut back on extras.

wow, I never thought all this stuff could be claimed on taxes. I will have to track even more now.

Let's list things you can deduct for newbies:

~Ingredients to "test" recipes (can test a recipe up to 2 x's)
~Mileage to/from stores with deductable items (as in the Post office, or your grocery store, etc.)
~Ingredients that you take to shows as an incentive for host
~Supply orders (automatically asks you if you want your supply order to go into your expenses, just say yes)
~Sample orders (products to display and sell)
~Personal orders (if the product is going to be used or given away through your business)
~Logo clothing
~Business "office" expenses (printer ink, business cards, pens, paper, etc.)
~Any and all expenses while at training (mileage, tolls, food while there, registration fee, etc.)
~If you have a DEDICATED business office ("regularly and exclusively" used for your business) you can claim that % off your house as a business expense. This includes a % of your utility bills too....check with your CPA for specifics!
~Any show expenses (consultant gift payment on a guest's order, ingredients, postage, tolls while driving, etc.)
~Ingredients to "donate" recipes at team meetings
~Donated items for raffle baskets, or that some charity asks you to donate

I am sure there are others...post them to help newbies document and save the necessary receipts!!

Thanks for the info! I was going to ask the same question.

Thanks so much for the insight. I did not realize that I could add all the receipts in PP3. That will make it much easier. That is if I just enter them!!

Related to Get Ready for Next Year: Expense Tracking Tips

1. How can I effectively track my expenses for the upcoming year?

To effectively track your expenses for the upcoming year, start by creating a budget with your expected income and expenses. Use a spreadsheet or budgeting app to enter your expenses as they occur, and regularly review your spending to make adjustments if needed.

2. What are some tips for keeping track of smaller expenses?

Small expenses can add up quickly, so it's important to track them as well. Consider using a mobile budgeting app to easily enter and categorize your small expenses, or keep a small notebook with you to jot down expenses as they occur.

3. Should I track my expenses daily or weekly?

The frequency of tracking your expenses depends on your personal preference and lifestyle. Some people prefer to track daily to stay on top of their spending, while others may find it easier to track weekly. Choose a frequency that works best for you and stick with it.

4. How can I make expense tracking less time-consuming?

To make expense tracking less time-consuming, consider automating the process as much as possible. Use budgeting apps or online banking tools to automatically categorize and track your expenses. You can also set up email or text alerts for when you reach certain spending limits.

5. What should I do if I go over my budget?

If you go over your budget, don't panic. Take a look at your expenses and see where you can make adjustments. You may need to cut back on non-essential expenses or find ways to save money in other areas. Remember to always prioritize your essential expenses first.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Countrykitchenmichelle
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Stephanie S
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefmoseley