• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Gardacil Shot Article in Ny Post

In summary, the New York Post reports that a 7-year-old girl died as a "guinea pig" for Gardasil, a HPV vaccine. There is no evidence of any cause of death, and her organs were sent to Albany for analysis. Her mother has spoken out about her daughter's death for the first time, and says that she does not think the vaccine is safe.
baychef
Silver Member
MY GIRL DIED AS 'GUINEA PIG' FOR GARDASIL - New York Post

My son talked with Jessica just days before she was found dead by her mother. Absolutely no evidence of any cause of death was found. (her organs were sent to Albany for analysis...nothing was found) She had the 3rd gardacil shot just days before she died.

It is not my intension to scare anyone. Just wanted you to know that this is real. This is the first time Jess's mom has spoken public about her daughter's death.

I have heard this SO many times and read many articles. My DD is only 7 am I'm all for vaccinations, but not this one!

I dont have kids but I know if I did I wouldnt give my 9 year old a shot for HPV. I dont even think I would let my teenager receive the shot.

As long as my "daughter" was old enough to see a gyno and get regular yearly exams, I think that would be sufficient. I could see if there was a history of the disease in the family and getting the shot as a precautionary measure, but seriously, girls as young as 9 getting this.

I do not think it is safe, and as in this poor girls case, her mom has to live with the fact that she probably consented for her daughter to be a "guinea pig".

So sad. May the family get answers and may the clinics running these test trials, wake up and open their eyes....THESE ARE CHILDREN!

Many children complain of headaches after the shots... :(

That's horrible! I'll be praying for her family.

OMG! :eek: That's horrible.

EEEkk!!! Vaccinations freak me out!
And personally, this one seems unnecessary to me. It doesn't even protect from all forms, just the top few (I did a bunch of research on it but can't remember the numbers right now). This is just terrible!

Her Mom is a nurse (or nurse's aide) so I am sure that she had confidence in the statistics that state that this shot will help prevent many more deaths than the shot would cause.

Also, I did goggles on this and they even refer to any suspected deaths as not conclusively related to the shot. I am so glad that I do not have a girl. But there is just nothing else that her death could be caused from. Recently a piece was done on a national news program about girls that have become disabled when the series of shots were taken. It is just plain scarey.

I personally do not know them, but my son was just a friend. She had dated one of his friends a year or so ago so she was in his circle of friends. He was truely affected by her sudden and unexplained death.

vwpamperedchef said:
I dont have kids but I know if I did I wouldnt give my 9 year old a shot for HPV. I dont even think I would let my teenager receive the shot.

As long as my "daughter" was old enough to see a gyno and get regular yearly exams, I think that would be sufficient. I could see if there was a history of the disease in the family and getting the shot as a precautionary measure, but seriously, girls as young as 9 getting this.

I do not think it is safe, and as in this poor girls case, her mom has to live with the fact that she probably consented for her daughter to be a "guinea pig".

So sad. May the family get answers and may the clinics running these test trials, wake up and open their eyes....THESE ARE CHILDREN!

HPV is not a hereditary disease, it is an STD. So looking through your family history won't help. Just wanted to let everyone know.

This is so scary as my daughter is 2 shots in to the 3 shots.

Wow. DH & I had were talking about Gardasil 2 nights ago. DD is 5 & I conveyed to him that while I don't have an issue with her getting a shot prevent HPV, my concern is how new the vaccine is. There are no long term studies yet. I have really mixed feelings about this vaccine for that very reason & this article just broke my heart. That poor mom. I can't imagine the shock & grief that family has experienced.
Scary. Hopefully this vaccine will be vetted thoroughly in the next few years, so we can know for with more certainty that it is safe.

pampered.chris said:
HPV is not a hereditary disease, it is an STD. So looking through your family history won't help. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Aw Chris, you look too young to have a daughter old enough for these shots...

(Intended as a high compliment! Especially as I was plucking annoying grey hairs this morning!)

peichef said:
Wow. DH & I had were talking about Gardasil 2 nights ago. DD is 5 & I conveyed to him that while I don't have an issue with her getting a shot prevent HPV, my concern is how new the vaccine is. There are no long term studies yet. I have really mixed feelings about this vaccine for that very reason & this article just broke my heart. That poor mom. I can't imagine the shock & grief that family has experienced.
Scary. Hopefully this vaccine will be vetted thoroughly in the next few years, so we can know for with more certainty that it is safe.

I too talk to my DH because every once in awhile he'll take the kids to annual check-ups instead of me. The last thing I want is my child getting this shot because DH thinks it's routine...

He agrees on the issue, but I don't want him to forget someday when she is at the doctor!

janetupnorth said:

(Intended as a high compliment! Especially as I was plucking annoying grey hairs this morning!)

Why thank you Janet, I am most gracious for the compliments. My DD is 11 and going into 6th grade. I turn 28 next week. A lapse in judgement in high school but we are GREAT now!!

Do-gooders.I hate people who think they know better how to run my life than I do.

Well I pray my DD will be okay - she just had her 3rd shot this morning!

pampered.chris said:

Oh Chris, I am so sorry and just know that the stats for this not occurring are greater. Just if you see ANY of these signs don't let up on them and have them pass it off as a symptom of another health problem.

From what I have heard, these outcomes occur shortly after one of the shots. Print out the article and have it handy. If she does show symptoms, immediately get her to either an ER or Dr. and show them this article. I doubt that they have no desire to be in the public eye in this manner.

Keep us posted. Like I say, I REALLY hate to put this out there to scare anyone. It is rare, but it is happening.

You know, my roomate and I were watching TV one day and when the commercial for Gardasil came on, roomate says, "They're going to find something out about that."Anyway, I hope all the cheffers with daughters getting these shots are safe. I wanna be one less ... statistic.

pampered.chris said:

Again a child so young should not be having sex then. I would hope my daughter would not be sexually active at a young age as 9, 10, or even a teenager.

THat's probably why I don't have kids---I'd be the strict parent.

On a side note;;;I am not for vaccinations either. A lot of autism cases in my area and I feel strongly they are from vaccinations. Only time will tell. Its such a catch 22 (the vaccinations).

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58004

They deny the links to Gardasil and we may not know for awhile causes, but I think there is enough frequency to warrant a healthy caution and research before making decisions for your children.In many states, people want to mandate the shot, and I agree with KG, I hate it when people think they know what is better for my family than me...and they are usually less educated. :(

I said that is one shot I will never give my girls. Luckily my DH is 100% he even said if it was required he would pull them out of school to be homeschooled he is that against the shot. We do immunize but very cautiously

vwpamperedchef said:
Again a child so young should not be having sex then. I would hope my daughter would not be sexually active at a young age as 9, 10, or even a teenager.

THat's probably why I don't have kids---I'd be the strict parent.

On a side note;;;I am not for vaccinations either. A lot of autism cases in my area and I feel strongly they are from vaccinations. Only time will tell. Its such a catch 22 (the vaccinations).

My daughter is not having sex. I just want to make sure everyone is aware of this. But statistics show that most women don't know they have HPV as there are no signs, I started my DD on the shots to help prevent her from contracting HPV when she does become sexually active.

I agree that children this young should not be sexually active and mine is not. I just want to make that clear b/c I don't want anyone to think my DD is having sex.
Thanks!!

I sure didn't Chris! But I know I would be defending my sweet DD wholeheartedly if someone misinterpreted that and it wasn't true!

janetupnorth said:
They deny the links to Gardasil and we may not know for awhile causes, but I think there is enough frequency to warrant a healthy caution and research before making decisions for your children.

In many states, people want to mandate the shot, and I agree with KG, I hate it when people think they know what is better for my family than me...and they are usually less educated. :(

Remember, these are the people who want to take over our health care system, because they know better than you do.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Remember, these are the people who want to take over our health care system, because they know better than you do.

The problem is that there are so many who want others to do their thinking for them....

The thing I didn't realize until after DD had 1 shot was the fact that it was a Sexually transmitted thing. The way the commercial portrayed it was that this was in my interpretation was that this was some sort of virus that all women carried, but it could turn into cervical cancer. Shame on me for not being informed!!
DD has had 2 shots and has had headaches afterwards, so I don't know if I should have her get the 3rd or not.....

I decided when this first came out that I would not have my daughter get this shot. She is 8 years old right now. i think 9 is when they start it. I was very concerned with something being so new and nothing long term known on it. Just scary. I hate to hear this happened to that family.
God bless,
Amanda

janetupnorth said:

I was just thinking the same thing!!!

Yeah, after I saw the first commercial for it I knew I would not be getting it for my daughters. Abstinence is the message taught at our house. And education. Even though my kids (I hope) are educated enough to know that pre-marital sex carries lots of potentially bad side effects getting this shot to prevent 1 is not a STD shield. I am afraid that some kids after getting the shot will go out and engage in risky behaviors because they think they are vaccinated from STDs not just from 1 HPV.

I am a strict parent. If my kids decide, even though we teach them not to, to have sex as teenagers then they will have to live with the consequences. If they have a baby...they WILL take care of their baby. Because obviously, I didn't do a good enough job the first time through anyway.

PChef_ang said:
The thing I didn't realize until after DD had 1 shot was the fact that it was a Sexually transmitted thing. The way the commercial portrayed it was that this was in my interpretation was that this was some sort of virus that all women carried, but it could turn into cervical cancer. Shame on me for not being informed!!
DD has had 2 shots and has had headaches afterwards, so I don't know if I should have her get the 3rd or not.....

I was under the same impression. I was told that they needed to be immunized before they became sexually active. Once they become active, it's more of a hassle to start the shot process.

My daughter has had 2 of the 3 shots with no side effects. She is not sexually active & doesn't plan on doing that until she is married. She has very strong convictions about that!

I'm concerned about whether or not to have her do the 3rd shot as well.

pampered.chris said:
My daughter is not having sex. I just want to make sure everyone is aware of this. But statistics show that most women don't know they have HPV as there are no signs, I started my DD on the shots to help prevent her from contracting HPV when she does become sexually active.

I agree that children this young should not be sexually active and mine is not. I just want to make that clear b/c I don't want anyone to think my DD is having sex.
Thanks!!

I certainly did not mean to imply that. I do apologize if you thought that.

I am sick/on meds/and DH has been on vacation for 12 days, and now is sick and home for another 5! So my judgement is probably affected :rolleyes:

baychef said:
But there is just nothing else that her death could be caused from.

Did they investigate her birth control pill? One of my friends almost died from taking Yaz.

Many years ago, I asked a Opthamologist about Lasik...it was a very new procedure at that time...he gave me some very good medical advice that I apply to all new procedure/vaccinations...he said "I wouldn't do any NEW procedure until is wasn't considered NEW anymore."
That being said, I won't be having DD get the shot~even if it becomes required. I will protest until the cows come home about this one because I am really unhappy with the length of time (or lack thereof) that it was studied before being put on the market. I agree with ChefKearns that this is just one vaccine to protect against one STD and some young girls may not understand that the behavior that causes STD's is to be avoided...they might think that "I had a shot for that" and consider it OK. I also don't want to have to explain to my 9 year old (she's still 8 but time is flying) what an STD is! She will learn all of that in my time, not the school systems!

1. The shot was fast-tracked through the approval process and that is what concerns me and affects my decision for my daughter.2. If I was already 2 shots in the process with my child with no effects, I'll have a good talk with the doctor but probably continue warily...3. If my child had ANY effects after any of the shots, I'd be done and make clear notes on all the effects and her medical situation....just some thoughts on where I'd be if "stuck" in the middle...I am so glad to be on the side of learning about it first!

I wasn't going to post on this thread because we are in the midst of the 3 shots and our daughter has had severe unexplained headaches for exactly 3 months with only 8 days of no headaches. We did lots of research on the shot and had even agreed to do them when they were $200 and not covered by insurance. (For a brief time it was going to be a Texas law but it was overturned.)We did not get her the shot so she could become sexually active. We have instilled our values in her, she has attended a true love waits retreat and I think she will wait. Even though this is not a hereditary disease, I have watched all my grandparents die from a form of cancer and my mother is a breast cancer survivor I have seen the effects and pain from cancer like many of you and ifI can help prevent it by being taking her for the shot we will.Our Dr is also a friend and we talked along time about it, several times. Finally, she put it to me this way if giving her the shots will keep me from standing by her hospital bed when she is a young mother dying of cervical cancer this will be worth the uncomfortableness. (DD is terrified of needles).I pray every day we find the cause for these headaches We are still not 100% sure it isn't from the shot but I can't not let her have the last one because the side effect of not having the complete series scares me even more. Our decision was not made lightly and I don't judge other parents if they decide not to have their daughter immunized, but I do take offense when they tell me that their daughter won't be having sex so she doesn't need it. My heart breaks for this family and the medical staff who cared for this young girl.

Teresa Lynn said:
I wasn't going to post on this thread because we are in the midst of the 3 shots and our daughter has had severe unexplained headaches for exactly 3 months with only 8 days of no headaches. We did lots of research on the shot and had even agreed to do them when they were $200 and not covered by insurance. (For a brief time it was going to be a Texas law but it was overturned.)

We did not get her the shot so she could become sexually active. We have instilled our values in her, she has attended a true love waits retreat and I think she will wait. Even though this is not a hereditary disease, I have watched all my grandparents die from a form of cancer and my mother is a breast cancer survivor I have seen the effects and pain from cancer like many of you and ifI can help prevent it by being taking her for the shot we will.

Our Dr is also a friend and we talked along time about it, several times. Finally, she put it to me this way if giving her the shots will keep me from standing by her hospital bed when she is a young mother dying of cervical cancer this will be worth the uncomfortableness. (DD is terrified of needles).

I pray every day we find the cause for these headaches We are still not 100% sure it isn't from the shot but I can't not let her have the last one because the side effect of not having the complete series scares me even more.

Our decision was not made lightly and I don't judge other parents if they decide not to have their daughter immunized, but I do take offense when they tell me that their daughter won't be having sex so she doesn't need it.

My heart breaks for this family and the medical staff who cared for this young girl.

Teresa - I thought of you when this topic came up again and was wondering about the headaches. I hope you can find the source and pray they aren't tied to the shots.

You have done your personal research and made your decisions based on that and heavily weighed them - kudos to you for studying and thinking.

I hope as parents we are all making the right decisions for our children.

It turned out my DD age 15 knew more about Gardacil then I did. I had apologized to her after the 1st shot when I realized how you contracted it. I asked her if she wanted to complete the series and she said she did as she can't be 100% certain of all her future husband will have done, so I guess I will talk about it with her when she gets back from China and see what she wants to do....

Now I am nervous!
My DD is due for shot #3 next month. I am seroiusly thinking of NOT going.
I think I'll call the Dr. tomorrow and talk w/ her about it.

DD is 15 and is not sexually active yet,but still I worry about what the future could bring if she doesn't finish the series.

Don't panic, Reba! Call and talk at length to your doctor like Teresa did. This is one of those kinds of things that has to be your decision after getting ALL of the info....and there isn't enough info from this girls death to definitively say it was the Gardisil.

I feel that the commercials are misleading. When I first heard it, all I heard was " a vaccine for cervical cancer." My first thought was "definately get that for DD" then.....Once I really paid attention, I realized that it was for HPV which causes cervical cancer.

Then it hit me....HPV "can cause" cervical cancer (not always), but it is not the only thing that causes it.

reba515 said:
Now I am nervous!
My DD is due for shot #3 next month. I am seroiusly thinking of NOT going.
I think I'll call the Dr. tomorrow and talk w/ her about it.

DD is 15 and is not sexually active yet,but still I worry about what the future could bring if she doesn't finish the series.

Yes, read and study and talk to the doctors first about your concerns.

If you read one of my posts and I learned this information like you, I would be talking to the doctor. If my DD had NO SIDE EFFECTS so far, I would proceed most likely with caution, but proceed. You're already 2/3 into it and she seems to be one with no effects.

I'd have to do some SERIOUS thinking if my DD was 2/3 in and there were effects.

But you have to educate yourself and make an educated decision.

My DD is 18. We had read the info and were getting ready for the shots when deaths began to be reported. She is NOT sexually active and has no plans to become so until she is married :)

My concern (and original reason for wanting the shots) is that she is now off to college. I am not worried about her decisions, I am worried about the decisions of others. Many of you might remember that she was the victim of a stalker last year. My fear is that something might happen to her while on campus. (The male to female ratio is like 7:1!!) If my child is sexually assaulted and I could protect her, just by getting a couple of shots, in any way from future troubles. I am all for it.

I'm sure that sounds so dark to many of you. After what we went through last year with the stalker, sexual harassment, and restraining order...I no longer believe that "it will never happen to us".

In light of the new info regarding the shots, we have decided to wait until more research is available.

My oldest who just had her 3rd shot today is also 18. She has not had any side affects that she has told me about. I will certainly be talking with her about it tonight (she is at work). She is not sexually active either and plans to wait for marriage, but I agree w/you she is starting college and may end up being raped! This happens to way too many girls! My husband knows from working as a night guard at a girls dorm during college.

My second DD is 15. She has had 2 of the shots w/no side affects (again that I know of). She is not sexually active either and plans to wait for marriage. We started her shots for the same reason as the oldest. Last year we went to a family amusement park and she started being stared at and stalked right there in the wave pool! It's very scary! She also is in swimming and had warts on her hands before (about 25 of them) that would not go away. Our Dr. kept saying, "Her body will eventually build immunity to them." Well 2 years later she still had them and they were getting bigger and she wasn't even swimming then. We tried everything over the counter and the duck tape - nothing worked. We went the dermatologist. He couldn't believe how bad they were. He did several therapies (including shots of beetle serum in every wart - she cried terribly) for almost 18 months. Nothing would get rid of them. He finally had to give her chemo ointment to get rid of them! She has since started swimming again and I pray she doesn't get them back! I just can't imagine her having this kind of problem w/V warts! If this can prevent her from getting them I'm all for it. Not that I'm not scared of the side affects though!

I would like to know the number of girls who have had the shot. What percentage of these girls would die of natural causes w/o getting the shot. From what I have read they can't really find out why the died.

I would not get the shots for my daughter if she were 9 - that is just way too young. Just like the Hepitits B shots - also a sexual disease. I did not get it for my girls until they were older.

The sadest thing in all of this is that people aren't just faithful to each other. Some women can't even trust their husbands. My SIL was one of them. She did have V Warts and had pre-cancer cells. It's very scary!

There was a question about Jess being on birth control pills for acne. I am not sure when she was on them.

I was on BC pill for several years. Later I had panic attacks (randomly). I kept asking dr.s if the BC pills had anything to do with the attacks. The answer I always received was no and the gynos sort of chuckled when I asked. Well, guess what? After a year of these, I stopped the BC pills and it takes 3 months for the pill to get out of your system. The incidence of them occurring were less and less...then they disappeared after three months. I could work my self into one, but the random ones stopped.

I think what frustrates me about Jess's case is on our local news they have run the story and the pat answers from Merik (sp? drug company) are "there is no link between the shots and any deaths that have occurred. The shot is safe." I am sorry, but there is just too much to ignore that some are reacting to it.

For those who's DD are in the middle of these shots, just be aware of side effects and don't let anyone poo poo your suspisions. Personally, I would rather someone think I was over reacting and have nothing happen vs. not reacting and having something happen.

Also, there have been millions of shots given so the odds are better that nothing will happen, but just be aware!! Apparently, Jess had written on her my space page that she was sore. She complained of the back of her head hurting. Again, after an local autopsy, her organs were sent to Albany for evaluation with no findings. There really is no other explaination, no matter what the drug companies say.

I hope that states do not mandate this shot. It should be a personal choice for families.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20080724/NEWS03/23945130/-1/news/Mother++vaccine+caused+death

This is a local article published in our local paper today.

I am not an autopsy expert, but can't they tell when a blood clot has occurred?

Wow, I'm glad I don't have to think about this for a long time.

Hopefully, they will be able to give these families real answers as to why their loved one has suddenly died.

Related to Gardacil Shot Article in Ny Post

1. What is the Gardasil shot?

The Gardasil shot is a vaccine that helps protect against certain types of human papillomavirus (HPV), which is a common sexually transmitted infection. It is recommended for both males and females between the ages of 9 and 26.

2. What is the purpose of the Gardasil shot?

The purpose of the Gardasil shot is to prevent certain types of HPV that can cause cervical cancer, anal cancer, and genital warts. It is also effective in preventing other types of cancers that can be caused by HPV.

3. Is the Gardasil shot safe?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Gardasil shot is safe and effective. However, as with any vaccine, there are risks of adverse reactions. It is important to discuss any concerns with a healthcare provider before getting the Gardasil shot.

4. Can the Gardasil shot cause death?

There have been rare reports of deaths occurring after receiving the Gardasil shot. However, there is no evidence to suggest that the vaccine caused these deaths. The CDC and other health organizations continue to monitor the safety of the Gardasil shot and have not found a causal relationship between the vaccine and death.

5. What should I do if I have concerns about the Gardasil shot?

If you have any concerns about the Gardasil shot, it is important to speak with a healthcare provider. They can provide you with more information about the vaccine and address any specific concerns you may have.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kaiser
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • heather9892
  • General Chat
Replies