• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Freshly Picked Home Grown Apples: Tips for Making Delicious Pies and Crumbles

S
sfdavis918
My mom gave me some apples from her tree and I want to make a pie and a crumble. Some of them look like they might have a worm though. Are they still ok to use? Any tips on how to make sure the worm is out before I use the peeler, slicer corer?

Have no idea if they are still o.k. to use! As far as getting the worm out... my creative idea for the day... use a vacuum!

Not sure if I'd want to chance that one!

1. How do I know if the apples are still safe to use if they have a worm?

If the worm has only penetrated the surface of the apple, it is still safe to use. However, if the worm has created tunnels throughout the apple, it is best to discard it.

2. Are there any tips for removing the worm before using a peeler, slicer corer?

If you see a wormhole on the surface of the apple, you can cut around it to remove the affected area. Alternatively, you can soak the apples in a mixture of water and vinegar for 10-15 minutes to encourage the worms to come out of the apples.

3. How can I ensure my apples are fresh and flavorful?

To ensure the best taste and texture, it is best to pick apples directly from the tree or buy them from a local farm stand. Apples that have been sitting in a store for a long time may not be as fresh and flavorful.

4. What are some tips for making a delicious apple pie or crumble?

To make a delicious apple pie or crumble, it is important to use a combination of sweet and tart apples. Some popular apple varieties for baking include Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Braeburn. It is also important to properly season the apples with cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar to enhance their flavor.

5. Can I use the same recipe for both apple pie and crumble?

While both desserts use apples as the main ingredient, the crust and topping for a pie and crumble are different. A pie typically has a flaky crust on the bottom and a crumbly topping made of flour, sugar, and butter. A crumble, on the other hand, has a streusel-like topping made of flour, sugar, and oats. You can use the same filling recipe for both, but the crust and topping will differ.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Amanda c
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
PamperedChefTerri
  • jazj10355
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
dianevill
Replies