• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Freezing Holiday Cookies and Breads

In summary, cookies should be refrigerated if they are going to be stored for more than two days, or if they contain cream cheese, peanut butter, or fresh fruit or vegetables. Cookies can also be frozen for up to six months. To freeze cookies, place them on a tray in a single layer and freeze. When freezing unfrosted cookies, layer them in a freezer safe container or resealable ziplock plastic freezer bag. Frosted cookies can be frozen after the frosting is set on the cookies. When freezing bread dough, roll it out and then freeze. Be sure to freeze bread dough in a heavy-duty airtight bag for up to one month.
floccies
Is there anyone with experience freezing holiday cookies and breads (mini loafs)?

What works well? What doesn't freeze well? How do you freeze (what do you put the items in, any special prep?)

I really don't have a clue -- please enlighten me! Next year I'll know :>

Storing Cookies

You should always allow all cookies and bar cookies to cool completely before trying to store them.

For the best and freshest taste follow these tips:

Soft Cookies - should be placed between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container. Make sure the container has a snug fitting lid. If the cookies begin to dry out, place a slice of on a sheet of waxed paper and place inside the container. Replace the slice of bread as needed.

Crisp Cookies - should be stored in a container with loose lid unless you live in a humid climate like I do. If your humidity is high, store these cookies in an airtight container as well.

Frosted Cookies - should be stored only after the frosting is set on the cookies.
Like soft cookies, all frosted cookies should be stored between layers of waxed paper. It is best if you do not stack the layers deeper than 3 layers.

Freezing Cookies

Freeze cookies only after they are completely cooled. To freeze unfrosted cookies, layer them in a freezer safe container or resealable ziplock plastic freezer bag. Layer a sheet of waxed paper between each layer.

To freeze frosted cookies, arrange cookies on a tray in a single layer and free until firm. Then place the frozen cookies in a freezer safe ziplock plastic bag.

Meringue cookies usually do not freeze well.

Make sure to label cookies with the date that you placed them in the freezer. Cookies should keep up to 6 months in a proper storage container.

To thaw, remove from container and loosely cover. Allow cookies to stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.

FREEZING BREAD OR OTHER YEASTED DOUGH

Most yeast dough freezes well. Exceptions are those filled with fresh dairy ingredients or with fresh fruit or vegetables. These ingredients do not freeze well and they release water when thawed.

Yeast bread dough can be frozen before shaping or after. Always freeze bread dough in a heavy-duty airtight bag for up to one month.

Tips for Storing and Freezing Cookies

by Michelle Jones

Save time and money by preparing cookies ahead of time and storing them properly. Many cookies can be baked and then frozen, or you can simply freeze the cookie dough and have fresh baked cookies every day of the week!

Here's a Few Tips to Ensure Your Home Baked Cookies Stay Fresh

~ Generally, cookies can be stored in an airtight container for several weeks and in the freezer for up to 3-6 months. If cookies are frosted or contain cream cheese store them in the fridge. Also, peanut butter balls are GREAT chilled!

~ I like to store my cookies in large food storage containers with wax paper separating each layer and a tight fitting lid. Though sometimes I will place fresh baked cookies in a plastic zip bag when I make just one dozen at a time.

~ Always wait until cookies are completely cooled (use wire racks) before storing!

~ If soft cookies become hard simply place a slice of bread in the container and the cookies will become soft again! (Also, be sure to not overbake your cookies, this is the #1 reason why cookies get too hard.)

~ When baking cookies in advance for special occasions or holidays, be sure to select cookies that are easy to store. For example, I would not freeze very fragile cookies or frosted cookies, unless I absolutely had to.

~ If you need to freeze frosted cookies just freeze them unfrosted and cover with frosting after they are completely thawed.

~ When freezing baked cookies be sure they are completely cooled before you put them in the freezer, just as you would do for regular storage.

~ If you're baking several different types of cookies freeze them in separate containers to maintain the best flavor.

~ And just as we do when preparing cookies for safe shipping, wrap cookies to be frozen by the pair with plastic wrap, back to back. (For more details on how to wrap cookies please read our helpful article on How to Ship Cookies So They Will Arrive Fresh and Undamaged.) This will keep them nice and secure!

~ Or, when baking large quantities of cookies to be frozen in advance you can fill the large plastic food containers (that are freezer safe) with dozens of cookies and use wax paper to separate the layers. Just make sure the lid stays on very securely while the cookies are being stored in the freezer!

~ It's also a good idea to place wrapped cookies in a freezer safe container or even a large freezer bag, for extra protection. Cookie tins can also be used, which makes them very convenient for gift giving!

~ If you're storing cookies in the freezer indefinitely and not for a special occasion that is coming up soon, be sure to write the date on the container or freezer bag so you don't forget to use them up in time, that would be tragic! :eek:)

Copyright 2005 by Michelle Jones, editor of CookieClubRecipes.com and the free money-saving tip site... BetterBudgeting.com. All rights reserved.

These are from some sites...I just copied and pasted for you.

Good luck!

When freezing quick breads, wrap tightly in foil, then place in a freezer bag.

One thing that I like to do is freeze the cookie dough in individual portions for baking (gotta love those scoops!)Last year I made several different kinds of dough, portioned them out, put them on cookie sheets in the freezer, and then, when they were frozen, packaged them in freezer bags a dozen to a bag. Then, when I had some time, I would bake 2-3 different kinds, a dozen each, and have fresh baked cookies to give as gifts or serve guests, or take to a party.

Quick breads and muffins also freeze very well.

Becky~

I love doing that with cookie dough!

Even if you only do that with one kind...it's nice to be able to bake however many you want at a time so they stay fresh!

(also, if you are like me, it's better on the waistline! If they are in the house and baked, I WILL be eating them!! This way, I bake fewer at a time!)

My Mom has one of those food sealer systems and wants to freeze breads. She heard you have to partially freeze the bread first or the sealer will squish the bread when it sucks out the air. Anyone have any experience with this at all?

Thanks for all the tips of cookies. She wants to seal some of them as well, but she can use a canister for them.

Thanks!!

I have a foodsaver, and I never use it for baked goods because of the crush factor. When it pulls the air out, it pulls out ALL the air, including that inside the bread (or whatever), so it will crush if it's in a bag. (That, and I'm cheap...er frugal.... and I don't like to buy replacement bags for it so I use it with jars and canisters as often as possible - and bread just doesn't fit in a canning jar.)

1. How long can I freeze holiday cookies and breads?

You can freeze holiday cookies and breads for up to 3 months. However, for best quality, it is recommended to consume them within 1-2 months.

2. Can I freeze cookies and bread dough before baking?

Yes, you can freeze cookie and bread dough before baking. Just wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap or foil and place it in an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to bake, let the dough thaw in the refrigerator and then proceed with the recipe as directed.

3. How should I wrap and store already baked holiday cookies and breads?

To properly store baked holiday cookies and breads, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Be sure to label and date the container. For added protection, you can also place the container in a freezer-safe zip-top bag. Properly stored, cookies and breads can last for up to 3 months in the freezer.

4. Can I freeze decorated holiday cookies?

Yes, you can freeze decorated holiday cookies. Just make sure the decorations are completely set and the cookies are completely cooled before wrapping and freezing them. To prevent the decorations from getting smudged or damaged, you can place parchment paper between layers of cookies.

5. How should I defrost frozen holiday cookies and breads?

The best way to defrost frozen holiday cookies and breads is to let them thaw in the refrigerator. This will help prevent any condensation from forming and keep the texture and flavor of the baked goods intact. For a quicker thaw, you can also place the cookies or bread in a single layer on a plate or baking sheet at room temperature. Avoid thawing in the microwave, as this can cause uneven thawing and affect the texture of the cookies and breads.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebbieJ
Replies
Views
obxchef
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci