• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Feeling Hurt by a Friend's Silence on a Family Rumor

In summary, a few friends said that a 15 year old niece of my DH's is supposedly pregnant. My DH and brother-in-law haven't spoken in 6 months and his wife isn't much better. I'm not the type of person to get mad or offended easily, so I asked one of my very best friends if she had heard this and she said yes she had, but didn't want to ask me about it. Everyone in town has heard this too, except me. My best friend told me that her and her twin sister talked about it and wondered if I knew. I'm not the type of person to get mad or offended easily, so I asked one of
reba515
NOT my 15 yo just to clear the air.

It's kind of a long story and my post really has not much to do w/ the pregnancy, so bear with me.

A few days ago I heard from a friend that there is "rumor" going around that my 15 year old neice is pregnant.
Which sorry to say didn't really suprise me.

Now this is my DH's brother's girl. My DH and brother-in-law haven't spoken in 6 months. My MIL doesn't speak with him either (the BIL). To make a long story short he's a drunk, drug addict a$$. His wife isn't much better. Even before they weren't speaking they hadn't been close in years.So really no lost love here.

Still with me?

Anyway I asked one of my very best friends today if she had heard this because she has DD's in the same school.

She says "yes I heard that a few weeks ago, but didn't want to ask you about it. In case it was just rumor or if true, a family secret. I didn't want you to get offended." Meanwhile everyone in town has heard this too. Except me I guess!

Then goes on to tell me that her and her twin sister talked about it too (who I am also very close with) and they wondered still if I knew.

I am not the type of person to get mad or offended easily I would rather have things out in the open even if it makes me (or someone else) uncomfortable. They (the twins) and anyone who is close to me knows this. I am good to my friends and respect what they have to say. I don't freak out about trivial things I am pretty laid back most of time.
I just don't understand why they think I would get mad at them !
Geesh I more upset about them than I am about my neice :eek:

They know we aren't close with my BIL and know what a jerk he is, it's not going to hurt my feelings.

What hurts my feelings is that they kept this "secret" from me. It just really bothers me.We all talk about everything all the time.I feel that they didn't trust our friendship enough, after all these years of being freinds & sharing secrets.
I know if it was someone else's DD they would be on it like flies on *hit (but hey thats what (some) women do ;))

I guess what I am asking you all is, would you be upset that neither of these girls felt they should or could say something to me about it?
how can I approach the subject with "sounding" as upset as I am??

I know deep down they more than likely were trying to protect me but sometimes things need to said anyway.

I would try very hard not to be upset with them. They did not have malice in their hearts. It is a very tough subject and they truly did not want to hurt you.

I am more sad than mad, no I am just sad.

Is it possible that they figured it was a secret because you hadn't said anything to them? Maybe they thought you knew, but because you hadn't said anything to them yet, they thought it wasn't being made public or you didn't want to talk about it. If you and your friends are usually open and honest with each other about life, your friends could have been feeling weird about why you hadn't shared with them.

Does that make sense?

I can understand why you are sad. I've been in a similar situation with friends before and I wasn't mad, but just felt like I didn't know my friends as well as I thought I did... not only that, but they didn't know me as well as I thought they did either. You just kinda feel like your heart was broken. I know... it hurts a bit. But, I would suggest talking it out with them. If you think they should have come to you about your niece then you need to set the example of an open friendship and explain to them why they hurt your feelings and that you feel like they in a way betrayed your trust by not trusting you.

katie0128 said:
I can understand why you are sad. I've been in a similar situation with friends before and I wasn't mad, but just felt like I didn't know my friends as well as I thought I did... not only that, but they didn't know me as well as I thought they did either. .

Exactly! I just keep wondering to myself "why would they think this?" "why would they think I wouldn't tell them?" we have darker secrets than this.

I would just ask them "why did you not tell me what you heard" and see what they say. If it's bothering you this much then I think you need to talk to them about it. Maybe they did think you knew or that your dh would be upset by the news and they didn't want to tell you/him about it. Good luck and let us know what happens

Let them know it upset you that they didn't tell/ask you, don't hide it from them. Maybe since you hadn't brought it up, it was a taboo topic for discussion. :confused: But I think they probably had the best intentions & were trying to protect you.

1. How should I handle a friend who is silent about a family rumor?

It's important to approach the situation with understanding and empathy. Your friend may be struggling with their own emotions and may not know how to address the rumor. Try having an open and honest conversation with them and express how their silence is making you feel.

2. Why is my friend choosing to stay silent about the rumor?

There could be several reasons for your friend's silence. They may not want to get involved in the drama, they may not know the truth about the rumor, or they may not want to hurt your feelings by discussing it. It's important to communicate with your friend and try to understand their perspective.

3. Should I confront my friend about their silence?

Confrontation is not always the best solution. It's important to approach the situation calmly and try to have a conversation rather than accusing your friend of being a bad friend. Express your feelings and ask for their perspective on the situation.

4. How can I move on from feeling hurt by my friend's silence?

It can be difficult to move on from feeling hurt, but it's important to take care of yourself and focus on positive relationships in your life. You can also try talking to a trusted family member or therapist about your feelings.

5. Is it normal for friends to stay silent about family rumors?

It depends on the individual and their relationship with the rumored family member. Some friends may feel uncomfortable discussing family matters, while others may feel obligated to speak up. Every situation is different, so it's important to communicate with your friend and understand their perspective.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikked
  • Cat2000
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies