• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fashion for Shows: Capris or Dress Pants?

I always wear a dressy shirt to PC shows and never a apron. I feel like if I wear an apron, it takes away from the "casual" feeling I am going for.I always wear capris because they are comfortable and versatile. I like to mix and match different colors and patterns. I think it's important to have a variety of clothing to choose from so that I am not always wearing the same thing.I wear capris to all my shows. I think they are a great option because they are comfortable and versatile. I like to mix and match different colors and patterns. If I am doing a demonstration with a lot of kids, I will usually wear something more kid-friendly like shorts or a skirt
amya
So what do you all wear to your shows? I've been doing this almost a year and a half and I think I have worn the same pair of dress pants to every show! That is because I only own one pair of nice pants that actually fit:eek:

Anyway, what does everyone think about capris? I have some very nice, comfortable pairs of capris that, personally, I think would be OK for a show, but I just wanted to ask other PC people their opinion. Are they not "dressy" enough? Should I stick with my trusty pair of dress pants?

It's what you are the most comfortable with wearing and what is washed. I wear capri's in the summer and on occasion jeans or jean capris. I don't think it is an issue. All of my shows are with relaxed people and I don't even think they notice.

I always wear Capri's! Of course, I did live on a tropical island the first 2 ½ years that I wasdoing PC! I usually wear khaki or black ones and top it with a bright v-neck t-shirt! Right now I am alternating between a Sea Green and Turquoise t-shirt.
I really think that it comes down to not the clothes that you are actually wearing but to the image you project. Although I am wearing capri's and a t-shirt, I still look like I am running a business. Does that make sense?

HTH~
Have a Pampered Day!!

I always wear capris too.jeans too.
if i wear jeans i dress them up a little with a dressier shirt and low heels/sandals

I wear capris in the summer... sometimes it is too hot for me to even want to wear those!! I have jean capris, but don't wear them, I want to still look as business as possible.
I never wear tennis shoes, only sandles or nice shoes in the winter.

I pull my hair back in a pony tail - although I think I look stupid in a pony tail...

I've heard not to wear too much perfume, and jewelry...and I don't paint my nails...

I heard - maybe on here somewhere - that some study was done, and people buy more from someone wearing white...

I have two PC shirts for summer, and one 3/4 sleeve for the winter... I want more of the short sleeve ones!!

And I wear my apron!!! and all my pins - and name tag!

I wear jeans, my pink HWC/PC polo shirt and sometimes my name tag. I have never worn my apron! Don't tell anyone...

I love my khaki capris!! I've been wearing those since it first got hot; I also wear a polo or button shirt usually.
In the winter I wear nice black pants usually. I'm a pretty casual person, so anything comfy is my style:)

I have never dressed up! I figure all the guests are wearing jeans so I don't want them to feel wierd like they should have dressed up!

I used to wear a kakhi skirt, but when I got pregnant I started wearing jeans I have had many hostess tell me to wear what ever

I wear a PC shirt, capris and a tank top under it. In the winter I'll wear long black pants with a different PC shirt. Of course, the apron.

I have worn nice jeans and a nice shirt and also slacks and capri slacks. For me it kind-of depends on who the show is for, mostly people I know I will go ahead with the jeans since that's what they always see me in, I think it would freak them out if I were to wear slacks or something, lol.

I always wear jeans and a PC shirt. I like to look casual at cooking shows; I think it makes what I do look more relaxed and fun.

I have heard to not wear the apron til last minute-because the guests will think u are one of them---now I am to the no apron point--I'm just one of the girls the whole nite
s
capris are fine
Nice feet if sandals!!!!:D

I always wear capris in the summer -- especially great for those hosts house's that have no air conditioner!!! I pair it with a pair of leather slides and a PC polo or tshirt depending on the age group that I am demoing for (
I'm only 22 so sometimes I want to project a more professional image, but if it's with people my age, I go the tshirt route as that is what everyone is wearing). Can't wait until conference to see the new stuff that is going to come out!!!

I always do the "business casual" thing. Slacks or dressy capris with a neat blouse...sometimes a sleeveless blouse, sometimes long sleeved rolled up. Always an apron...the denim apron most of the time, HWC apron from March to May and a patriotic apron in July. I have never worn jeans to do a demo. I just wouldn't feel right. maybe it's just me.

I think it also depends on the area you live in, here I am very rural (over an hours drive to a small mall, no starbucks not that I drink coffee within an hour and a half...you get the picture) so everyone pretty much is casual.

When it's cool weather I wear khaki's (or jeans, depending on the group) and a white or blue button down shirt (don't have a PC one yet) with either loafers or low heals. Now that it is warm (hot actually) I'm mostly wearing capri's (denim) and a cotton shirt with either sandals, white keds, or loafers. I try not to out-dress the guests but still look neat and professional. I thought about wearing a cute summer skirt, but with my apron on I didn't want to look like I was wearing nothing on my bottom half! :eek: I have short hair so I don't do anything special to it. When my hair was longer I would pull it back in a clip during the demo.

jdavis said:
I think it also depends on the area you live in, here I am very rural (over an hours drive to a small mall, no starbucks not that I drink coffee within an hour and a half...you get the picture) so everyone pretty much is casual.

I think that's very true. ALthough here in South Florida it is a VERY cadual area - especially in business-places...but in the evenings when I go to do demo's, I would hate for the guests to look more professional than me...so I try to keep to slacks and dressy capris. In th ebeginning I was wearing sundresses or long skirts but that became hazardous - LOL

I've worn capris in the summer too. I've never worn jeans. I want to look a little dressier than the guests. It's usually capris or black pants (hides spills!) and a polo shirt or button down shirt with a tank top underneath.

dannyzmom-
Where in South Florida do you live? I used to live in Plantation.

Like a lot of consultants, I think that you just need to wear what you feel comfortable in. I like to follow the rule of thumb of dressing one step above the guests. Where I live it is a very causal atmosphere so I wear a skirt or dress capris but usually wear it with flip-flops and it works very well for me.

I don't wear my apron either, I just don't feel "me" in it. I have actually had guests not know I was the consultant when I am talking to them before the show. I excused myself from a conversation so I could go up front and they were like "Oh, you are the consultant?" and they just seem to connect to me better!

I wear what's comfortable. This summer I have not been wearing my apron, just my PC short sleave shirt and capris or cotton pants. When I do wear my apron I do take it off when the recipe is done when I am talking and checking people out.

I am a firm believer in business casual. I have worn jeans on occasion but they are dressier jeans and usually arround people I know well. For most of my shows I wear Khakis. IN the summer I have a pair of very nice denim capris I wear. I have worn dressier shorts if it is verry hot but only a few times. For shirts it's usually a PC logo short or a nice short sleve shirt. For shoes I wear nice sandals or slides never sneakers.

I figure I don't want my job to look more complicated by having to dress to the 9's. But I want my hosts and guests to treat me as a business person.

I was at a jewlry show recently and while she had on a denim suit she was very dressed up. I leaned over to my sis in law and said I could never sell it. I hate dressing up that much! :)

etteluap70PC said:
I figure I don't want my job to look more complicated by having to dress to the 9's. But I want my hosts and guests to treat me as a business person.

I was at a jewlry show recently and while she had on a denim suit she was very dressed up. I leaned over to my sis in law and said I could never sell it. I hate dressing up that much! :)

SAME HERE! I also try to wear things that I will be cool in. The last thing I want is to look all hot and sweaty.

pamperedgirl3 said:
I've worn capris in the summer too. I've never worn jeans. I want to look a little dressier than the guests. It's usually capris or black pants (hides spills!) and a polo shirt or button down shirt with a tank top underneath.

dannyzmom-
Where in South Florida do you live? I used to live in Plantation.

I am in Coconut Creek - about 20 minutes from Plantation.

I dress in business casual style. I don't ever wear jeans to a show. Even if you think it is going to be a casual show, you know someone is going to not show up in jeans and will be dressed up. Someone always seems to be coming from work, of a get together of some kind.That would make me feel under dressed and second guess my choice of what I wore. But, I do agree, it is what makes you feel comfortable, and confident during your demo.:)

I don't wear jeans... I don't even know if it was a concious choice. I think I just make a better presentation in slacks and the PC shirt.

I love jeans and (i havent done a show yet, i iwll in september) i will wear jeans to shows. I think for shows where i dont know most of the people i will wear something a little nicer but i like my jeans!
I live in south florida so EVERYONE is casual. In my full time job clothing choices are anything but jeans. Right now i am wearing red cords with a brown t-shirt. nothing special here!

My first show was with a co-worker, but all of her guests were from her small town. It was a combined housewarming/PC show. The show was on a Friday at 7 pm, and I had worn my jeans to work that day. I went directly from my job to the show. I prepared all the food and was waiting for the show to start when guests started arriving. She had over 20 guests at her show and all of them were women. They all had on very dressy outfits and I felt very out of place and under-dressed. My host even changed into a dressier outfit after she finished preparing the extra food.

I will not wear jeans to another show, so I don't run the risk of looking too casual. I wear capris, or black slacks, with a nice top. I do wear my apron, but I like the idea of taking it off after the presentation is done. I feel akward in it while waiting for people to complete orders.

I ask my host!I ask my host what exactly she wants. Usually it's casual, and capri pants, nice flowing spring skirts, and cool dresses work well at my shows.

I live in TX where it's always HOT!!!!

Although I did have one show where my host told me that most of her friends were going to be coming from work, in their pant suits, office type clothing, and so I wore a nice dress and jacket. By the time I did the demo I took off my jacket and told everyone to do the same. They did and it was fun and relaxing.

I had them playing some fun games and we enjoyed the evening with plenty of chocolate (Tiramisu Brownies), a yummy salad, and cool drinks.

I also dressed up pretty nice for a bridal shower. The family was wearing nice dressy outfits. I have never worn jeans, because I think jeans are HOT!! To me anyway, I will just stick to my capri's, skirts and dresses!! Unless the situation calls for something more dressy!!

I always wear my apron only when I am right about to start the demo and take it off right after. This way I can feel and look just like everyone else.

Debbie

What about shoes? What do you all wear your capris with? Do you think tennis shoes looke too tacky?

gilliandanielle said:
I wear jeans, my pink HWC/PC polo shirt and sometimes my name tag. I have never worn my apron! Don't tell anyone...

The apron is pretty nerdy, I admit. Once I was doing the "Ask me any question about my job" game and one young lady looked at me funny and asked, "Do you actually like wearing that?"

I had an awesome host who had a gigantic (I think around $1500) show, and she called me and told me about an incentive she was working towards for Mary Kay. I agreed to let her come make me over and even told her I'd invite a friend, too.

This was the most gorgeous young lady who was very fit. Well, she showed up for the Mary Kay demo in a blouse, suit jacket buttoned up, suit skirt, panty hose and high heels. My friend and I were wrestling kids and very casual! She looked like a complete idiot in that stupid suit and pantyhose!

Since starting this thread, and reading that most people do wear capris, I have started wearing them and am soooooo much more comfortable:) I have been wearing sandals with mine. I am a sandal-freak, so I have plenty to choose from.

On the shoe front......after living in Japan for many years, my family does not wear shoes in the house! Anywhere we go, my kids take off their shoes at the door and line them up if there is not something to put them in.
Doing shows in Japan, I almost never wore shoes during the shows.
Since we have moved back to the states, I do wear shoes at shows but I generally wear flip flops, dressy sandals or wedges but nothing with a back. Can you imagine how hard it was for me to wear "real" shoes with backs and everything for my first winter EVER? By the way, apparently Southern Virginia is not really all that cold but my family froze!! LOL!

My director told me business casual so khaki's always work for me. I rarely find any shoes I live for a dressier capri look so I don't to them. I usually wear a polo or 3/4 sleeve shirt.

For summer I switched to Gauchos (cause it's do darn hot to wear long pants out in CA)! And a Dressy T-shirt. For winter I was wearing black or grey dress pants and a button up long sleeve black, blue or white blouse. Hair always back to keep from falling in my face while doing the demo and to keep myself cool.

So I guess more along the business casual side overall.

My favorite thing about this job is I can be myself! I'm doing Pajama shows in the fall, with cocoa and hot mulled cider. My entire town knows I wear my pJ's everywhere so it fits. I even wore pJ's to walmart to do my christmas shopping! I am so looking forward to fall right now it's 95 degrees here :(
Anywhoo, I usually go casual, jeans or capris and either my PC sweatshirt or a local town themed t shirt. I always wear my apron! I say it's my business uniform. I also always have my hair in braids lauara ingalls style. I try not to be any different than I am in real life, I am approachable and easy to talk to the rest of the time if I changed my look I feel like I wouldn't be comfortable.

I wear nice capris or gauchos...like a heavy cotton/khaki (not just the plain cotton/knit kind) and a button down shirt with some dressier sandals (like with a small heel)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Hunter Mom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Hunter Mom
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • jdavis
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies