• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Families Appeal to Colorado for Help With Cold Cases

In a story copyrighted by AP (and therefore, not repeated here), the families of cold case victims have asked the Colorado legislators to stop pursuit of death penalty cases and shift the resources to solving the 1,400 cold cases that are still unsolved in Colorado.Frank Birgfeld, father of Paige Birgfeld, testified to the lawmakers. He reports that an investigator has promised to pursue Paige's case, but the investigator has 58 other cases he is investigating. The investigator went on to say that a missing persons case can take as long as 20 years to solve. "Give it a pair of fresh eyes," Frank told the lawmakers.The Families Ask: Colorado Legislators Consider Sh
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
After the update went to press today, a new development came across my desk. It isn't really a new development in Paige's case, but an appeal by families in Colorado for aid in solving cold cases.

According to a story copyrighted by AP (and therefore, not repeated here) the families of cold case victims have asked the Colorado legislators to stop pursuit of death penalty cases and shift the resources to solving the 1,400 cold cases that are still unsolved in Colorado.

Paige's father, Frank Birgfeld, also testified to the lawmakers. He reports that an investigator has promised to pursue Paige's case, but the investigator has 58 other cases he is investigating. The investigator went on to say that a missing persons case can take as long as 20 years to solve. "Give it a pair of fresh eyes," Frank told the lawmakers.

For more, see http://www.examiner.com/a-1867378~Families_ask_Colo_lawmakers_to_focus_on_cold_cases.html.

I just can't imagine the pain of not knowing.

There are a couple of cold cases here, too, that are just so heartbreaking.Last Fall, a deer hunter came across remains in a field, thought to be female because of the clothing. The families of several missing young women had their hopes raised, only to be dashed when the body was identified as someone else. At least, one family had some closure.Meanwhile, the sons who have mysteriously died from "accidental" drowning but appear to be victims of a conspiracy that has been dubbed the Smiley Face Killers, also do not have answers. (The link will take you to an essay on Help Find the Missing about the Smiley Face Killers.)

Sad, my friend's death is technically a "cold case". They *think* they know who did it but no one has ever been arrested or charged...Berit Beck - 1990 :(

While not impossible, it is very difficult to get a murder conviction without a body.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
While not impossible, it is very difficult to get a murder conviction without a body.

Very true!

In Berit's case they had a body, but lacking somewhat in evidence and of course things are different almost 20 years later...wow, that long already.

I hope SOMETHING happens in Paige's case, if for nothing else, to give the family some type of closure.

Laurie Depies disappeared from Appleton in August of 1992, many years ago. It was a mysterious case, her car was found in a parking lot with a soda cup on the roof. I think I know what happened to her, and I think I know who did it, and I think the authorities may have the same theories that I do. I wrote about her on Help Find the Missing in a piece called The Laurie Depies Case Haunts Me.

That's frightening. I hadn't realized until Paige's disappearance how many adult women go missing. Poof! Gone. I know a lot has been made of Paige's choices and the possibility that they had some bearing. However, it's clear from what little I've learned since then that any one of us could be a victim--no matter what our choices.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Laurie Depies disappeared from Appleton in August of 1992, many years ago. It was a mysterious case, her car was found in a parking lot with a soda cup on the roof. I think I know what happened to her, and I think I know who did it, and I think the authorities may have the same theories that I do.

I wrote about her on Help Find the Missing in a piece called The Laurie Depies Case Haunts Me.

I'll have to read your write-up KG, I remember that case well too!

The story of finding funding in Colorado to investigate cold cases has made the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel. The story crossed my desktop because Paige is mentioned in the article, as is her father, Frank Birgfeld.See it here: http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content/news/stories/2009/02/24/022509_3a_Death_penalty_bill.html.

The wire services have picked up on this story now, and it is appearing in more outlets. http://www.durangoherald.com/sections/News/2009/02/24/Plan_to_eliminate_death_penalty_in_Colo_advances/Aurora Sentinel

1. What is the purpose of the Families Appeal to Colorado for Help With Cold Cases program?

The Families Appeal to Colorado for Help With Cold Cases program was created to provide support and resources to families of victims in cold cases, with the goal of bringing closure and justice to these families.

2. How can families of cold case victims apply for assistance through this program?

Families can apply for assistance through the Families Appeal to Colorado for Help With Cold Cases program by filling out an application form on the program's website or by contacting the program directly for more information.

3. What types of support and resources does this program offer to families?

The Families Appeal to Colorado for Help With Cold Cases program offers a wide range of support and resources, including access to trained advocates, referrals to counseling services, assistance with legal processes, and connections to other families who have experienced similar situations.

4. Is there a cost associated with receiving help from this program?

No, there is no cost associated with receiving help from the Families Appeal to Colorado for Help With Cold Cases program. All services and resources provided by the program are free of charge to the families of cold case victims.

5. How can individuals support this program and its mission?

Individuals can support the Families Appeal to Colorado for Help With Cold Cases program by spreading awareness about the program, making donations, and volunteering their time and skills to assist the program and its efforts to bring justice to families of cold case victims.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • The_Kitchen_Guy