• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Perfecting the Art of Home Cooking: Crafting My Recipe for Saturday

try cutting your chicken breasts in half lenghtwise, that may cut-down the cooking time. You can also go ahead and slice the chicken into strips.Sometimes I get a lot of juice when I cook them too. The veggies put out a lot of water and that combined with the steam from cooking make the juice. And, the chicken processors also pump a saline solution into the chickens too which adds to the juice.I have poured the juices off when I've had to micro it longer too.I use the apple wedger for the onion and just slice the peppers with the knife. I do have juices in the bottom but I serve with the tongs so that works fine. I don't remember
babywings76
Gold Member
I have been doing this recipe at home a lot in preparation for doing it for shows. Well, I have my first taker for this recipe on Saturday. Now I just made it last night to practice and it didn't turn out so well. (Took longer and had a ton of water/juices and I worried about presentation...it tasted great though.)

Can you guys share with me exactly how you do it? I have the recipe from the files, but each time I make it I'm not sure if I'm having success.

It always takes longer than 15 minutes (about 20-25). (I'm using enough chicken so that there is a tiny space between each breast--about 2 large or 3 or 4 smaller ones--but they make a complete layer on top of the peppers and onions.) I've made it with SW seasoning and last night I tried it with the Chipotle rub. Not sure which is better. My veggies always seem to turn to complete mush. Not sure if guests will like that. My husband thought it had great flavor like that, but not sure if others feel the same. Last night I tried to not cut the peppers and onions all the way, keeping them just quartered thinking that when I use the choppers on it it'll help for them to not be pulverized. Do you make it so everything is chopped pretty good, or more like slices?

try cutting your chicken breasts in half lenghtwise, that may cut-down the cooking time. You can also go ahead and slice the chicken into strips.

Sometimes I get a lot of juice when I cook them too. The veggies put out a lot of water and that combined with the steam from cooking make the juice. And, the chicken processors also pump a saline solution into the chickens too which adds to the juice. I have poured the juices off when I've had to micro it longer too.

I use the apple wedger for the onion and just slice the peppers with the knife. I do have juices in the bottom but I serve with the tongs so that works fine. I don't remember thinking the veggies were mush. I know someone posted that they sliced the chicken before cooking; I have done it both ways.

I use the meat tenderizer and pound the chicken flat. Cooks faster that way.

You could use tenderloins instead of breasts. I hate cutting raw meat.

I just did this at my show the other night. I always cut the chicken breast up into pieces before adding it to the DCB (I do this at home ahead of time) ...I do this to further reinforce how quick and easy it is to cook in the DCB - throw everything in, cook for 15 min. and viola! The other night I used almost 4 big chicken breasts and it still only took 15 min...I guess cause they were cut up.

As far as the juice...I serve using tongs - but I also use the juice to point out to guests how juicy everything gets - no dried out rubbery meat here! :yuck:

Jen

babywings76 said:
I have been doing this recipe at home a lot in preparation for doing it for shows. Well, I have my first taker for this recipe on Saturday. Now I just made it last night to practice and it didn't turn out so well. (Took longer and had a ton of water/juices and I worried about presentation...it tasted great though.)

Can you guys share with me exactly how you do it? I have the recipe from the files, but each time I make it I'm not sure if I'm having success.

It always takes longer than 15 minutes (about 20-25). (I'm using enough chicken so that there is a tiny space between each breast--about 2 large or 3 or 4 smaller ones--but they make a complete layer on top of the peppers and onions.) I've made it with SW seasoning and last night I tried it with the Chipotle rub. Not sure which is better. My veggies always seem to turn to complete mush. Not sure if guests will like that. My husband thought it had great flavor like that, but not sure if others feel the same. Last night I tried to not cut the peppers and onions all the way, keeping them just quartered thinking that when I use the choppers on it it'll help for them to not be pulverized. Do you make it so everything is chopped pretty good, or more like slices?

It also sounds like you're cutting the peppers and onions with the Salad Choppers. I don't do that; I only use the choppers on the chicken. I cut the peppers with some forged cutler and the onions with the apple wedger, like others do, and leave them that size.

Okay, so I think I'll scoot the veggies to one side so I don't chop them further. I hate cutting up chicken at a show and I don't have the tenderizer, so maybe what I'll do is check out the host's chicken when I arrive and then I'll pound it out or fillet them before the show. Although, if I fillet them it gets to show off more cutlery. Hmm, I'll have to think about that.When you chop the chicken, how big do you keep the pieces? Pretty big, almost like slices, or smaller? I seem to chop them pretty small.Great point about the juices, Jen. I'll have to remember to say that. I've been using the chef's tongs at home and that helps to not get too much juice in the serving.

I prep the chicken when I get to my hosts house. I also chop it up along with the veggies in the DBC - depending on how many people are there will dictate how large or small I chunk it. I do leave the juices in - but every now and then I get an overwheling amt of juice when cooking - when I do, I drain some of it off. hth

The salad choppers and the DCB are two of my best selling items because of this recipe. I use the apple wedger for the onions, the forged cutlery just to slice enough to have the peppers lay flat (ie. slice off each of the 4 edges). I put the chicken in there without cutting or pounding it and sometimes even frozen (takes a few minutes longer). The oohs and ahhs really come when you pull it out of the micro steaming and you just chop everything up with those salad choppers!** Check your microwave, is it older, have a lower wattage, or does the turn table not turn? I've even had it take considerably longer in a micro where the "turn table" just moves back and forth so that is something to consider. **

Oh here's an fyi - if the microwave is too small (or if you run across someone who it totally against micro-cooking). You can do this recipe in the oven. Cook it at @ 400 - 425 for @ 20 mins.

jcsmilez said:
The salad choppers and the DCB are two of my best selling items because of this recipe. I use the apple wedger for the onions, the forged cutlery just to slice enough to have the peppers lay flat (ie. slice off each of the 4 edges). I put the chicken in there without cutting or pounding it and sometimes even frozen (takes a few minutes longer). The oohs and ahhs really come when you pull it out of the micro steaming and you just chop everything up with those salad choppers!

** Check your microwave, is it older, have a lower wattage, or does the turn table not turn? I've even had it take considerably longer in a micro where the "turn table" just moves back and forth so that is something to consider. **

My microwave is brand new. It's a GE Profile, full size, working turntable.

pamperedlinda said:
Oh here's an fyi - if the microwave is too small (or if you run across someone who it totally against micro-cooking). You can do this recipe in the oven. Cook it at @ 400 - 425 for @ 20 mins.

Great to know! Thanks! :)

What should the quantities be if I need to serve 20 people this recipe?!! My host just blew me away with that number!! What is a healthy side dish that could compliment this recipe?

do some rice in the rice cooker although it might not be that healthy! LOL! Make some homemade pass around salsa. They will fall in love with the salad choppers and then show them when the chicken is done how you can also use them on meat!

Somewhere I posted about 20 person DCB Chicken Fajita Show that I had. I cooked 3 chicken breasts with seasoning in the DCB and set them aside; then cooked the regular recipe in the DCB slightly heavy on the veggies. While those cooked, I sliced up the first batch of cooked chicken. Merged them all together for serving. It worked out fine.​

LeslieSGI said:
Somewhere I posted about 20 person DCB Chicken Fajita Show that I had. I cooked 3 chicken breasts with seasoning in the DCB and set them aside; then cooked the regular recipe in the DCB slightly heavy on the veggies. While those cooked, I sliced up the first batch of cooked chicken. Merged them all together for serving. It worked out fine.​

Thanks so much! That helps a lot! :)

Yes, when I've done a double batch, I just prepped and cooked one batch first, then put it on my rectangular platter and covered with foil while we cooked batch #1.

pamperedlinda said:

would you brown the chicken first, and then place in the DCB in the oven? Will all the veggies be cooked in 20 minutes??

Personally, I think the juiciness is one of the key ah-ha's from this show! People are always amazed at how juicy it is when I didn't add any liquid to it. Microwaved stuff tends to be dry, so, this is THE big deal imo! And, I always cut it all up after cooking with the salad choppers. We also always make the salsa with the salad choppers, so, I rinse them off before chopping the fajita mixture. Then, I serve the fajitas with tongs. Some other things I do are slice up some olives using the egg slicer (after opening can with can opener and draining with can strainer), grate cheese using the rotary grater and stick sour cream into the EAD.

Thanks, Linda, for the tip for making it in the oven. The last show I had a too small microwave, we took the lid off, and it took forever and didn't cook as well. Still cooked pretty well though, and guests were still shocked at how good it turned out. The host bought the dcb and said this means she is going to buy a bigger microwave now!

It is easier if you cut the chicken up before cooking. Not only did I find that it cuts the cook time down, but it makes the chicken easier/ quicker to chop with the salad choppers. I never sold 1 salad chopper until I did this recipe.

I also have the guests make salsa at the show, grate cheese, and put sour cream in the EAD.

What is the recipe for the salsa? I know it was in a past catalog, but don't know the recipe, can you post please?
Thanks, Deb

I've had HUGE success using the DCB and fajitas! Selling 2-3 at every show! If you want to bring up your sales, this is the way to do it! Also, using the Booking Slide (printed on bright paper, in sheet protectors, taped together) WORKS!! Use it at the end to review everything you talked about. I booked 4 shows yesterday (Brunch & Fajita shows) and only 10 people were at the show! :p

Has anyone made steak fajitas in the DCB? I have a host that wants steak and chicken, but I'm not sure what cut of meat I should have her buy. Thanks for your help

I just wanted to say I finally got to prepare the DCB fajitas and pass around salsa at a show this weekend.

What a HUGE hit!

There were 6 people in attendance. Two of them already had DCB's but 5 bought the salad choppers! The person who didn't get the choppers plans on getting them at the next show she attends (which is one I'm doing in a few weeks). The other 4 want the DCB and they all booked shows to get it!

It was such an easy and fun demo too. I highly recommend doing these at a show. They really are impressive!

Cathy, have you tried the Fresh Pineapple Salsa? You can use the Salad Choppers on this too (instead of a knife and the Food Chopper). Just add the pineapple towards the end so it doesn't get chopped so much it becomes crushed. This gives you the chance to show off the Pineapple Wedger, too, and the salsa is great fajitas.

CathyP said:
I just wanted to say I finally got to prepare the DCB fajitas and pass around salsa at a show this weekend.

What a HUGE hit!

There were 6 people in attendance. Two of them already had DCB's but 5 bought the salad choppers! The person who didn't get the choppers plans on getting them at the next show she attends (which is one I'm doing in a few weeks). The other 4 want the DCB and they all booked shows to get it!

It was such an easy and fun demo too. I highly recommend doing these at a show. They really are impressive!

Good to know...I'm doing it as a demo for the first time tomorrow. Too many of these people have see the 30 minute chicken with the biscuit bites so we had to switch it up a notch!

I had the joy of watching Marie Freitag demo this tonight at my cluster meeting. She came into town to meet with us. She took one green pepper, one red pepper, and one onion and layered the base of the DCB, she added one tablespoon of chipotle rub, then layered 3 chicken breast, then added one more layer of one tablespoon of the chipotle rub. She put it in the microwave for 12 minutes and it came out perfect.

Andrea,

I've never made this, can you clarify a few things? So Maria put one chopped onion and one of each red and green chopped peppers as one layer, then added the rub, and on top she added one layer of chicken which equalled 3 breasts and then one more tbsp of rub? Were these chicken breasts already chopped in pieces, slices, what?

I guess I should go look at the original recipe instructions and see if I can understand...

kcjodih said:
Andrea,

I've never made this, can you clarify a few things? So Maria put one chopped onion and one of each red and green chopped peppers as one layer, then added the rub, and on top she added one layer of chicken which equalled 3 breasts and then one more tbsp of rub? Were these chicken breasts already chopped in pieces, slices, what?

I guess I should go look at the original recipe instructions and see if I can understand...

Jodi, I can tell you how I've been doing it.

I slice 2 peppers (I use red and yellow) into strips, and then I wedge an onion with the apple wedger - and that is the bottom layer. I sprinkle chipotle rub, (or SW seasoning, whichever I have) and then put a layer of chicken over that. Usually it's 3 breasts, but it depends on the size. I cut it into strips before I put it in the DCB.
I sprinkle more seasoning over that, and then squeeze 1/2 a lime over it w/ the citrus press.

I have this all written up and have an outline that I use for the show, but we can't attach files today - so I can't attach it for you - sorry!

Thanks Becky. I seem to remember briefly - I have a really bad headache so I can't remember much right now - that you might have posted on here before. I'll look and see if we can access files. I must have missed the memo saying we couldn't attach today..

If I can't find it maybe you could be a darling and post it another time? ;) :D

has anyone pre-cooked the chicken before cooking the rest in the microwave? I have a host who isn't crazy about the idea of laying raw chicken on those vegetables

???

DebbieJ said:
I use the meat tenderizer and pound the chicken flat. Cooks faster that way.
That's what I do also. I have a vacuum sealer and flatten it before it goes in the freezer, that way it defrosts in the microwave evenly.

Here's how I do the fajitas. I sell a lot of DCBs and Salad Choppers and UM's.

I slice one red and one green pepper and a medium onion with the Ultimate Mandoline and place into the DCB pointing out that I add no oil or liquid. Add 1 Tbsp Chipolte Rub. With a Forged Cutlery knife I cut 2-3 chicken breasts into equal pieces about the size or a little bigger than tenderloins. Another Tbsp of the rub. Cover on. Microwave 15 minutes. (I did it in a smaller microwave at one show and they were amazed that it just took 20 minutes in that one.) It NEVER talkes longer than that and turns out every time. Once the host's microwave was too small so we did it in the oven and that worked great too but the micro recipe sells the DCB for sure!

While that is cooking we do the pass around salsa - shows off another knife (cutting the tomato & onion into chunks), the chopper (for the jalapeno pepper), stainless mixing bowl and salad chopper - and then the dots medium and small bowls to serve (or the chip & dip bowl).

When the fajitas are done I move the chicken to one side and chop it with the salad chopper (I don't bother to rinse it - the flavors all go together anyway), then stir the fajita ingredients together. Sometimes it's more soupy than others (If the peppers are more ripe that happens) but the flavor is always great. I serve it with a tongs so they aren't getting all that liquid on their tortilla anyway. No one has ever said that the vegies were anything but good and they are amazed at how moist and tender the chicken is. This is THE recipe!!!

I make a big deal about the fact that it's healthier and much quicker to do it this way and much less messy (picture veggies sizzzling grease all over the stove).

If they get the 6 inch tortillas it feeds a lot more people - and remember a demo recipe is a tasting not a meal anyway!

PS: While the wedger and knives do work well to cut the vegies I prefer to bring in the UM to entice people to buy or book for it. I use the knife for something else during the recipe and I don't spend any time on the wedger - people already love it and will order it without my prompting. I'd rather introduce a "cooler" item to them.

1. Why does my dish take longer than 15 minutes to cook?

The cooking time can vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken breasts, as well as the temperature of your oven. It is important to use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is fully cooked before serving.

2. How can I prevent my vegetables from turning to mush?

To prevent your vegetables from becoming overcooked, make sure to cut them into similar sizes and thickness. You can also try adding them to the dish halfway through the cooking time or using a higher heat setting for a shorter cooking time.

3. Which seasoning is better for this dish - Southwest or Chipotle?

This is a matter of personal preference. Both seasonings will add a delicious flavor to the dish, so feel free to use whichever one you prefer. You can also experiment with different seasonings to find your favorite combination.

4. Should I chop the peppers and onions finely or leave them in bigger chunks?

This also depends on your personal preference. Chopping the vegetables finely will result in a more evenly cooked and blended flavor, while leaving them in larger chunks will give the dish a more rustic and chunky texture. You can try both and see which you prefer.

5. Can you provide me with a step-by-step guide for making this dish?

Of course! Firstly, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large baking dish, arrange 2-3 large or 3-4 smaller chicken breasts on top of a layer of sliced peppers and onions. Sprinkle your preferred seasoning on top of the chicken. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • ltricarico
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • mmilus
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies