• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring the Benefits of Selling Cash 'N Carry Items at Fairs

or do you just ask for their email?I always include a receipt with my orders, and I always ask for their email address, so I can contact them about their order.
cactus_flower
What's the advantage of selling "cash 'n carry" items at fairs since I don't get commission on them? Yes, I get my discount when I order "Personal Inventory," but I still have to pay a whopping shipping charge!

This is going to vary by individual.....but, to me, it's NOT worth having cash and carry items at fairs, b/c you never know what someone is going to be interested in. I did a lot of Open Houses and such around the holidays last year, so I ordered 5 stainless mini whisks and 3 regular ones and put Christmas Hershey Kisses in them and a cute tag on them and did not sell one, so then I ended up using them as gifts for people. I am sure there are others who have had better luck with cash and carry. But, for me personally, I won't do it again.

I agree with Lisa, for me, its not very profitable. I have lugged a lot of stuff in the past and now, I just offer individual orders or shows.

I did cash and carry multiple times last year and it was not very profitable AT ALL.

I would skip cash and carry!

I like having some cash and carry on hand for that emergency needed gift. I always take some with me to booths that I have. Not much, just a hand full of things.

I purchased 3 Mystery Boxes at NC. I do this because 1) gifts for family members 2) raffle gifts for schools, charities, 3) fairs & festivals. I did a fair last weekend and sold $175 in product from the Mystery Boxes. I also got a lot of contacts and 3 bookings. This is the first time I sold at a fair and will continue to. I do not mislead anyone. I tell them straight out that they are discontinued product and never been used.

pkd09 said:
I purchased 3 Mystery Boxes at NC. I do this because 1) gifts for family members 2) raffle gifts for schools, charities, 3) fairs & festivals. I did a fair last weekend and sold $175 in product from the Mystery Boxes. I also got a lot of contacts and 3 bookings. This is the first time I sold at a fair and will continue to. I do not mislead anyone. I tell them straight out that they are discontinued product and never been used.

Hmmm, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I bought a few mystery boxes too for gifts and/or raffles or donation items. I didn't think to maybe take those to a booth. I still don't think I would purchase anything specifically for cash and carry, but I do think that is a pretty good idea for things in the mystery boxes you want to get rid of.

I sell cash & carry items at the farmer's market each weekend. Nothing big, mini-spatula's season's bests, corn knobs, etc. It is a good way to get people to the booth, to engage them in a conversation. I do not lose money, I just turn in an order, to restock, and along with orders I take, I still come out ahead, and I get commision on it.

I find that in my area the cash and carry is better than just taking orders. You will not have every item a person wants, but you can place an order for them still. People expect me to have cash and carry. They like to take it home with them today.

I have a few, mini spatulas, quik cut knives and mini whisks, it seems everyone wants those. I don't carry alot to shows, vendor fairs etc... but I will throw a few of those in and usually come home with none. I don't think it hurts your business if you don't have cash and carry, that is my opinion.

The only time I ever do cash & carry is when I have extra new/boxed items that I don't want/need that I want to sell. I never order anything in bulk with the intent of selling it as cash & carry b/c it is too hard to see what people will want.

Most of the things I have that are extra were either free or 1/2 off stuff for me, so offering them at 20% off retail if they give me cash (with no S&H charged), is actually making me some money in the end, so it all works out.

Thx for your help. I may still take a few items. I think the new holiday cookbooks will be a hit. I was considering taking some gravy separators, but I think I'll nix that one. Do you give receipts with them and do you charge sales tax?

People do like the mix and chop.. I usually do not keep many items for cash and carry. But a few things are good. If they seem upset that I don't have what they want.. I tell them I want them to get the full guarantee, They usually seem fine with that. I assure them it will be in before they know it.. or can send it directly to their house.

Ginger, I like that response about wanting them to get the full guarantee. This site is so helpful!! Thx to all!!

cactus_flower said:
Thx for your help. I may still take a few items. I think the new holiday cookbooks will be a hit. I was considering taking some gravy separators, but I think I'll nix that one. Do you give receipts with them and do you charge sales tax?

receipts no, but I am sure that they have my contact info, like a business card (I stick on in every box) So that if they have a problem they can contact me.

tax yes

cathyskitchen said:
The only time I ever do cash & carry is when I have extra new/boxed items that I don't want/need that I want to sell. I never order anything in bulk with the intent of selling it as cash & carry b/c it is too hard to see what people will want.

Most of the things I have that are extra were either free or 1/2 off stuff for me, so offering them at 20% off retail if they give me cash (with no S&H charged), is actually making me some money in the end, so it all works out.

I also do not purchase with the intent to re-sell. I use hostess benefits from shows I host to get my products. I also sell the products I get from SAT and samples that I don't want or have extras of to sell.
I do not charge shipping or tax on these items.

The only cash and carry items I ever have are Seasons Bests, however, I am doing a few events in Oct and just ordered a few Mix N Chops..I have found more conversation over those than anything else! So, I will start to carry those and the SB

Those that do Cash N Carry - do you only accept cash? (No smart remarks!)

I do farmer's markets and I accept cash and check for the cash & carry. I will take credit cards for orders.

I have some things I got off the outlet. I had intended to use them for door prizes and gifts, but I am doing my first booth in Ocotober and will take those and SB and offer them for cash and carry.

cactus_flower said:
What's the advantage of selling "cash 'n carry" items at fairs since I don't get commission on them? Yes, I get my discount when I order "Personal Inventory," but I still have to pay a whopping shipping charge!

I do bring cash and carry with me to any fairs or festivals I do. I have found that people not only want something they can take home with them, but a lot of people are hesitant to place an order from someone they don't know. I know that when I go to fairs and stuff like that I LOOK for cash and carry. I personally would rather pay someone I don't know cash, and take my item with me right then ,rather than pay them for an order and not know for sure if they will ever get my item to me. You just can't trust people these days and even if they are with a company, people still are dishonest.

And I can't count how many times people stop at my booths asking if I have anything they can buy and take home today.

ChefJWarren said:
Those that do Cash N Carry - do you only accept cash? (No smart remarks!)

I only take cash. And the stuff I take for cash and carry are usually items from the outlet. Although I sometimes order some popular items like small mix n scrapers, twix its, season's best, and mini spatulas.

Definitely outlet stuff. People LOVE discontinued items for sale. Plus, you can sell at a discount so they are super happy. As for current stuff, you can have a few things that you know you'd use in other ways...gifts, etc.I don't charge tax either. I give them my little receipt. Mostly that's so they have my info on it and I know that they purchased it from me. That way if in the future they call with a problem, I know they got it from me. No warranty, but I like to help a customer when I can...discount on a new one (or if I have one on hand...whatever). Very rarely happens but it's also neat to see repeat expo customers.

If you purchase it off the outlet, what do you charge the customer? The outlet price? Add anything for tax and shipping? I want to group the kids cups, cutters and recipe cards as a set and didn't know how to price it. Thanks.

I have done a lot of booths in the last four years, and find that when I have Cash & Carry visible (ESPECIALLY a big sign marked Clearance Table), it draws people to the booth who wouldn't have come otherwise. Once there, they are more likely to fill out a contact/door prize slip and book or pick up recruiting info. I did booths for my first year and a half without C&C and have found that I have more traffic now at some of the same booths with it than I did without.The things on my Clearance Table are smaller Outlet items, and I always have a printout of all the current items in the outlet that they can order the bigger heavier ones (I get a lot of those orders.) I make a point to let them know that since these are discontinued items, they no longer have a warranty, but they are brand new. I charge outlet price, and I do charge the tax.I also do carry some items from the regular catalog that I know I sell regularly. I always have one or two Food Choppers, a Deep Covered Baker (I can sell these like hotcakes!), and a basket of smaller items. I place an order in the customer's name for the items from the current catalog so that they DO have a warranty on those items, and I put the ones that arrive after the booth back in my rotation to use at the next booth. This also allows for Credit card purchases. One thing I do is usually pay the shipping on purchases over $60 so I do end up with more of them. HTH

For outlet items, I look at the outlet price and consider and kind of round up. It's less than if they'd purchased it and paid full shipping, but still covers my cost and adds a little so that I make something on it. Some things I mark up more than others since some I practically charge the outlet price for. I just mark them at that price though so I don't have to calculate tax and such. I'm pretty busy at my booths and actually have PC consultants stop and buy if they missed something on the outlet :).

Please explain this Mystery Box and how you handled it...Also can we sell Discont. Items?
Please help...I am about to do my first Vendor fair.......
Thanks alot
Eileen

ChefJWarren said:
If you purchase it off the outlet, what do you charge the customer? The outlet price? Add anything for tax and shipping? I want to group the kids cups, cutters and recipe cards as a set and didn't know how to price it. Thanks.

I actually am doing this with 3 sets of the kids stuff I just purchased off of the outlet. I plan on adding together what I paid for the items and then adding $1 to that total to cover shipping charges. I also am wrapping them up in a cute little polka dotted clear plastic and tying with a ribbon. So if they are buying it as a gift, they can give it without having to wrap the stuff!

I bought the polka dotted plastic at the dollar store.

I will let you know how this works out for me. I have a festival booth set up on Sat... so I will report back and let you know how it goes.

I'm doing the same thing with the kids things - I bought 6 sets. I plan on selling them for $10 each. I'm wrapping them up real cute too.

1. How does the Cash 'N Carry program work?

The Cash 'N Carry program allows customers to purchase Pampered Chef products directly from a consultant, without having to host a traditional party. This means you can shop for your favorite products at any time and receive them immediately.

2. Is there a discount for purchasing through Cash 'N Carry?

Yes, there is a 10% discount for purchases made through Cash 'N Carry. This is a great way to save money on your favorite Pampered Chef products without having to host a party.

3. Can I still earn host rewards through Cash 'N Carry?

No, since you are not hosting a party, you will not be eligible for host rewards. However, you will still receive the 10% discount on your purchase.

4. What products are available through Cash 'N Carry?

All Pampered Chef products are available for purchase through Cash 'N Carry, including our popular kitchen tools and cookware. Some limited edition or seasonal products may not be available through this program.

5. How can I find a consultant who offers Cash 'N Carry?

You can search for consultants in your area by using our "Find A Consultant" tool on our website. Make sure to check the box for "Cash 'N Carry" under the "Party Types" section.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • eatoninthekitchen
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • MeredithG