• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy and Delicious Diabetic Dinner Recipes for a Special Birthday Celebration

and have for many years. I haven't tried the Barilla Plus yet, but I've heard good things about it. If your mom is type 2, she will probably need to eat something to raise her blood sugar if it falls too low. She may also need to adjust her insulin dosage.
andrealynne719
I've got a week and a half on this - my momma and daddy are coming to visit me for my birthday weekend after this coming. I'm cooking dinner for them but need a good recipe - my momma was just diagnosed as diabetic a month or so ago. I was thinking of doing the Creamy Lemon-Pesto Chicken and Linguine from the DCB cookbook, but if anyone has any great ideas, please let me know!! I have basically every product so that's not a concern - and I'm a pretty fabulous cook (if I do say so myself :angel:) so it can be complicated.

Thanks, y'all!!

Is she type 2? My DD was just diagnosed type 1 and she can eat anything she wants as long as we count her carbs and give her a dose of insulin. I would probably call her and see if she has any diet restrictions.

Jennie4PC said:
Is she type 2? My DD was just diagnosed type 1 and she can eat anything she wants as long as we count her carbs and give her a dose of insulin. I would probably call her and see if she has any diet restrictions.

That is what I was thinking..same with my Fiance..we just need to watch his carbs.

Stick with salads, grilled meats and lots and lots of veggies.. lower on Potatoes, Pasta and Bread.

If you do the Pasta use whole grain or the Barilla Plus.. the fiber and protien help with the carb content.

my $.02 :)

Since she is newly diagnosed, she is probably still trying to get her insulin adjusted. Be aware of how she is acting. I'm diabetic also and when I was on the first type of insulin (Humalog 75/25) I had to eat at the same time every day and really be careful about what I ate. Even with being as careful as I was about my eating, I still experienced low blood sugars, requiring the ambulance (only 2 times in 7 years). If you notice your Mom acting a little strange, ask her if she's OK. Have her test her blood sugar. If it's under 80, she might need to get something to eat or drink to raise it. If I get below 70 or so, I start to feel weird. Low blood sugars sort of act like a drinking person. The person may act a little weird and sometimes feisty. Have some OJ on hand, just in case she experiences a low. They have changed my insulin to sliding scale and things are much more stable with that.

She will just have to eat what she is supposed to. Offer a variety of options so it will be easy for her to get her fill without overdoing the carbs.

It was funny when I started doing PC. My diabetic counselor told me that I would probably go high because of being nervous. I went low for almost every show that I've had so far. I have to have a quick snack before I start.

DeannaK1022 said:
Stick with salads, grilled meats and lots and lots of veggies.. lower on Potatoes, Pasta and Bread.

If you do the Pasta use whole grain or the Barilla Plus.. the fiber and protien help with the carb content.

my $.02 :)

Not trying to hijack..BUT..I HIGHLY recommend Barilla Plus. I always feel like I need to put more sauce on when I use Whole Wheat pasta..but Barilla Plus you don't have that..and it is just as good if not better for you that the Whole Wheat Pasta..that is all we use anymore.

I always get Barilla Plus :) It helps that I'm watching what I'm eating anyway!As for what type, I think it's 2...I know her doctor has her following South Beach Diet right now while they are still getting it under control. I might do something from 'Make It Fresh, Make It Healthy'Thanks for the advice, all!

chefheidi2003 said:
Not trying to hijack..BUT..I HIGHLY recommend Barilla Plus. I always feel like I need to put more sauce on when I use Whole Wheat pasta..but Barilla Plus you don't have that..and it is just as good if not better for you that the Whole Wheat Pasta..that is all we use anymore.

I love Dreamfields pasta. It is low carb pasta and looks and tastes like "real" pasta. I have a number of friends and hosts who are diabetic so I always have it on hand. We eat it as our normal pasta because I like it so much and hubby has no clue it is "different". Rachael Ray even recommended it!

I am type 2. Not a major rise or fall in blood sugar but relatively high at about 7. (About 135s on my meter.) I use insulin 30 units once daily. The only restrictions I have are via portion more so than what I eat. (Of course that means very little white sugar or flour.) I HATE WHOLE WHEAT PASTA with a passion as it really has a taste difference. I thank you all as I have been afraid to spend the money on the Barilla pasta. I think it is time to make a change. I will look into the other one as well. OH - did any else hear about Kraft adding dried cauliflower to it Mac 'N Cheese? They dry it, grind it to flour and will add it to the flour they use to make the noodles? 1 serving of Mac 'n Cheese will contain 1/2 serving of veggies this way. I wonder how many pasta companies will follow suite? Here is the real truth about controlling blood sugar. Fresh, simple, organic foods minus a ton of carbs. Pesticides, well most chemicals, have adverse effects on insulin production.

Forget the pasta and just do a 30 Minute Chicken if you REALLY want to go low car! :)

I thought about 30-minute chicken. Modified. Since my DCB won't fit in my microwave. But I'm not a big fan of doing whole chickens. They never turn out that great for me for some reason. Plus I never carve them right. Pretty much set on the Creamy Lemon-Pesto Chicken. Now flipping through 'Make it Fresh, Make it Healthy' to come up with a good dessert :)

Thanks for posting this Andrea. I'm doing a fundraiser for the Am. Diabetes Assoc. this Thursday (my DD is type 1 and a youth ambassador). I think I'll do the the chicken too. I was thinking I'd do the chocolate mousse pie from Make it Fresh/Healthy, but after talking to another diabetic, she recommended the ice molds instead. Think I'll make those ahead and demo the chicken.

I'm very confused about what diabetics should/shouldn't eat. My DD (actually my step DD) says she's always been told she could eat whatever she wanted as long as she gives herself enough insulin. But every other diabetic I talk to tells me they really have to watch their carb intake. Going to see a nutritionist tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get a better understanding.

Gretchen, We were told at the hospital the diet has changed drastically even from a few years ago. We were told that all we had to do was carb count. My DD is 7 yrs old so my concern was for school and the goodies they get. The nurse will just have to dose her if she gets a cup cake at school for a birthday. The carb to insulin ratio is what can get hard. Right now my DD is .5 units of insulin to 30g of carbs. Which is hardly anything right now but as her pancrease really stops working it will change. I think talking to a dieticien willhelp you know exactly what your step DD is goingthrough. Good luck
I also wonder if the people you are talking to are type 2. I know type 2 has to watch thier carbs.

Have plenty of nice balanced snacks around. For example, a few strawberries with some cottage cheese protein to balance it out.

1. What makes a recipe suitable for diabetics?

A recipe suitable for diabetics is one that is low in added sugars, saturated fats, and sodium. It should also be high in fiber, lean protein, and complex carbohydrates. Portion control is also important for managing blood sugar levels.

2. Can I still enjoy my favorite dishes if I have diabetes?

Yes, you can still enjoy your favorite dishes with some modifications. For example, you can substitute ingredients like white flour with whole wheat flour or use natural sweeteners like stevia instead of sugar. You can also incorporate more vegetables and lean protein into your meals.

3. Are there any specific ingredients I should avoid in diabetic-friendly recipes?

Diabetic-friendly recipes should limit or avoid added sugars, processed carbohydrates, saturated and trans fats, and high-sodium ingredients. Some examples of ingredients to avoid include white sugar, white flour, butter, and processed meats.

4. Are there any specific nutrients I should focus on when following a diabetic-friendly diet?

Focusing on nutrients such as fiber, healthy fats, and lean protein can help manage blood sugar levels in diabetics. Fiber-rich foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can slow down the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream. Healthy fats, such as those found in avocados and nuts, can help improve insulin sensitivity. Lean protein sources, like chicken and fish, can help control hunger and promote weight management.

5. Can I find diabetic-friendly recipes for different types of meals?

Yes, there are plenty of diabetic-friendly recipes available for all types of meals, including breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. You can find recipes for dishes like omelets, salads, stir-fries, and even desserts that are suitable for diabetics. Pampered Chef offers a variety of recipes specifically designed for diabetics, including a 30-day meal plan to help you get started on a healthier lifestyle.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
nldavis321
Replies
Views
leftymac
  • pcbrandy
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies