• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

"Downside" of the Facebook Policy

In summary, my director just sent me an e-mail about our Facebook policy and her concerns. Among them are safety concerns about how people can be manipulated and hacked, and how we tend to post when we are not home or on vacation. She also mentioned that she doesn't want her customers to know too much about her personal life, so I am creating a separate FB profile for my business.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
My director just sent me an e-mail about our Facebook policy and her concerns. Among them are safety ... she heard from some doom and gloom speaker about how Facebook isn't safe because there are people who try to manipulate details out of us and hack our privacy settings, and how we tend to post when we are not home or on vacation.

I am not worried about it because a) I have the most common last name on the planet b) I've always been web savvy, keep my facebook profile to "friends only" and never post identifying details, such as where I work and c) there are HUNDREDS of Facebook friends who may not know I'm a consultant. I see nothing wrong with a simple status post like, "Just sent out my newsletter. If you're not on my list and want to be, let me know" or "I'm trying to meet a goal before the end of the month."

Anybody else worried about this? I do happen to know that said director is on Facebook. At this time, I am choosing not to be her friend.

I'm not concerned. In fact, one of the reasons I plan to set up a separate FB profile for my business is so that those people who I don't know as well won't have access to every detail of my life (not that they'd want to hear about DS's potty training anyway).

The thing is, anything you do on the internet needs to be done with some common sense. The rule of thumb with email is "If you wouldn't want it published on the front page of the New York Times, don't put it in an email." I take the same approach with Facebook. I don't expect that it will happen, but I won't post anything that I wouldn't want broadcast to the world. Even if my profile is private, my friend could take something I said and tell it to all her friends etc.

I won't post contact information (except my cell, which can't be linked to my address), and I'll keep my PC profile fairly free of personal stuff.

It seems to me that her concern is with Facebook itself, not PC's FB policy. If that's the case, why even have a FB page? I have had a FB page for years now and my page is private as are my pics, and I haven't had any problems. I only post when I'm going out of town if someone will be at my house while I'm away, and 95% of my FB friends don't know where I live anyway. I don't know, maybe I don't worry enough, but I'm just not overly concerned. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps I'm missing something - I just don't get how being a PC consultant and making that known on FB is a privacy concern. :confused:

Ditto what Noora said. Hence why I have two different FB profiles now. My personal profile is not always the most PC place to be (as in politically correct) - so customers who don't know me well don't really need to see that side of me anyway. :eek:

In general, yes, you DO have to concerned and aware of the privacy issues involved when using Facebook.

Sometimes people forget how public it can be and get very comfortable posting anything and everything.

I would definitely set up a separate PC profile to handle PC related FB stuff. My customers do not need to see comments from my friends, etc.

But, on that same line...how well do you know ALL guests and customers who might be at shows? And these would be the people you would "friend" on you PC FB page. So, keep that in mind. If your address is on ALL your PC handouts, cattys, etc., you would not want to post on your PC FB page that you will be unavailable X dates since you'll be on vacation. Even if your address is not on your PC FB profile, it might be on all your handouts...JMO.

kam said:
But, on that same line...how well do you know ALL guests and customers who might be at shows? And these would be the people you would "friend" on you PC FB page. So, keep that in mind. If your address is on ALL your PC handouts, cattys, etc., you would not want to post on your PC FB page that you will be unavailable X dates since you'll be on vacation. Even if your address is not on your PC FB profile, it might be on all your handouts...JMO.

Very good point!

You always have to be aware of the information you put out there and it isn't just on facebook. I've seen consultants talk about trips they and their families are going on and the dates of those trips on their PWS. Another thing to think about is having your home address listed on business cards and catalogs. You never know where those end up and why would someone need that information other than maybe a host to send payment and that can be discussed during coaching/closing.

I don't keep a separate profile. I don't do anything on FB I wouldn't want customers to know. (She plays Family Feud? SHOCKER) and my address is on NOTHING. And I don't want people to ignore my updates because they're all biz related.She heard a speaker who panicked her about web safety and is going into conspiracy theory mode at the moment, IMHO.I DO post that I'm on vacation but am fuzzy on the details ... and Roomie is here when I'm not. Like, "two weeks off work, looking forward to seeing my wonderful cousin during part of that time." And I won't post where I work b/c my work has a web site and my name is on it. If you know me well enough, you can connect the dots.

Oh I can see where having your address and stuff out is not a good thing at all. In fact, many years ago at NC, I heard a speaker and I think it was about marketing your business. Her words rang in my ears for days. NEVER, EVER put your home address on any thing you hand out to strangers. If you want them to contact you, you only need a phone number and/or e-mail address. Nothing more! You are only asking for trouble. I do plan to use FB and no I will not be putting my address out there at all. My home phone number is not there either and never will be. I leave my contact info to e-mail and phone and website now only. I had a friend who did a boo boo and mentioned that her company was sending her and her family on a business trip last November on FB. No specific dates but she apparently she had put her phone number out in a post for some who was a friend to call her. Someone in her area found the number, did a reverse look up and found her address. That someone broke into the house while they were gone. Apparently they wanted it enough due to the fact that several items she had mentioned getting as wedding gifts were listed on her wall, so they watched the house. In this case, keep em confused!!!

I don't use my address for a different reason. I live in the geographical center of nowhere. People see where I live and assume that I'd never drive far enough to do a show for them. Usually they're wrong. As for people finding me, GPS can't find me. Mapping software can't find me. I'm not too worried about others finding me. ;)

raebates said:
As for people finding me, GPS can't find me. Mapping software can't find me. I'm not too worried about others finding me. ;)

Really, Rae, all that's important is that FedEx can find you.

Good point, Dave. And, even they've had some issues in the past. LOL!

raebates said:
Good point, Dave. And, even they've had some issues in the past. LOL!

I'm with you Rae! Must be an Indiana thing :)

before we could have anything about PC on FB. Of my friends on there 1/4 are family, 1/4 friends, 1/4 other consultants, and 1/4 past hostesses.

Right before my computer crashed yesterday I had composed a response about why this burns my cookies. It's the perception that internet people aren't "real."I have met several friends through a message board like this one .... have taken vacations with them in which we shared a rented house and cooked together at least 4 times, and attended at least 2 weddings of people I met on there, who met each other there too. Many I have met in person, some I have not. One of those is a friend named Tricia, who moved to Canada after she married. She was one of my first customers (I mailed her order to her mom in Minnesota) and shortly thereafter, her mom hosted a book show with me. Recently, Tricia helped me get to the $1,500 level of Sell-A-Thon. As did another friend from that message board who ordered a stone, and another has ordered from me in the past.I know playing games is not "income producing" and I'm not pretending that it is .... but trust me when I say the people and the friendships are very, very real!

If someone is worried about putting there address on PC stuff, just get a Post Office box. I have had one for 18 years and have started using that as my address for handouts. My cell is my business number and can't be linked back to my home address. Just basic precautions. My fb is set to friends only and even then, some of my posts & pics are seen only by certain groups I have set up.

Frankly, in the world of direct sales, our customers rarely need our snail-mail address for ANYTHING. E-mail and phone are sufficient.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Frankly, in the world of direct sales, our customers rarely need our snail-mail address for ANYTHING. E-mail and phone are sufficient.

They need it to mail checks!!! I often forget this since I don't put my address on anything. Sometimes I hang up the phone asking a host to mail me some checks and I relize she doesn't have my address.

I have never put my home address on anything I pass out. My PWS, cell #, email address is all that is on there! I also set up a different profile just for PC related things. I have some friends who are HUGE political/social activists that I really don't need the world to see! I was stunned at some of their comments. They were not like that in High School! LOL! I only email my home address for checks to people. I don't want it even on a piece of paper. If the director in question takes the PC training classes, it says to make your profile set to everyone and your personal info set to "Friends only". Any business info can be set to "Friends of Friends". I have taken 2 of the 3 classes and found them quite interesting. I have only been on FB about a year and didn't realize we could show certain things to only certain lists! I think that is cool!

pampered1224 said:
Oh I can see where having your address and stuff out is not a good thing at all. In fact, many years ago at NC, I heard a speaker and I think it was about marketing your business. Her words rang in my ears for days. NEVER, EVER put your home address on any thing you hand out to strangers. If you want them to contact you, you only need a phone number and/or e-mail address. Nothing more! You are only asking for trouble. I do plan to use FB and no I will not be putting my address out there at all. My home phone number is not there either and never will be. I leave my contact info to e-mail and phone and website now only. I had a friend who did a boo boo and mentioned that her company was sending her and her family on a business trip last November on FB. No specific dates but she apparently she had put her phone number out in a post for some who was a friend to call her. Someone in her area found the number, did a reverse look up and found her address. That someone broke into the house while they were gone. Apparently they wanted it enough due to the fact that several items she had mentioned getting as wedding gifts were listed on her wall, so they watched the house. In this case, keep em confused!!!

I agree, but when you order business cards from Merrill, you MUST include your address on the cards or else your order won't go through. Which is why I ordered mine from Vistaprint ;)

PamperedchefDaly said:
I agree, but when you order business cards from Merrill, you MUST include your address on the cards or else your order won't go through. Which is why I ordered mine from Vistaprint ;)

I purchased mine through Merrill and I did not include my street address.

I also do not put my email address as could change. I can always be reached through my website or over the phone.

does anyone have the playback numbers and access codes from Patsy McGovern past conference calls

I have only my city listed on my cards from Merrill, not the full address. Thank goodness as I have moved 3 times in two years.

What is the "Downside" of the Facebook Policy?

The "Downside" of the Facebook Policy refers to the potential negative consequences of using Facebook as a platform for your business or personal use.

How does the Facebook Policy impact businesses?

The Facebook Policy can impact businesses in several ways. It can limit the reach of your content, as Facebook's algorithm favors posts from personal profiles over business pages. It can also change at any time, making it difficult for businesses to keep up and adapt their marketing strategies accordingly.

Can the Facebook Policy affect my privacy?

Yes, the Facebook Policy can affect your privacy. By using the platform, you are agreeing to share personal information with Facebook, which can then use that information for targeted advertising and other purposes. It's important to carefully review and adjust your privacy settings on Facebook.

Is there a risk of censorship with the Facebook Policy?

There is a potential risk of censorship with the Facebook Policy. The platform has been criticized for censoring certain types of content, and their community standards can be vague and inconsistently enforced. This can be a concern for individuals and businesses who want to express themselves freely on the platform.

What are some alternatives to using Facebook for businesses?

Some alternatives to using Facebook for businesses include other social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn. These platforms may have different audiences and algorithms, so it's important to research and choose the platform that best fits your business's needs and goals. Additionally, creating a website or utilizing email marketing can also be effective ways to reach customers without relying solely on Facebook.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Harrisdm
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
raebates
  • NooraK
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
erinyourpclady
  • Teresa Lynn