• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does Anyone Forget Their Lines???

well it will be over. You don't have to worry about it. Welcome to Pampered Chef!!!We all forget our lines! I have had plenty of shows where I went home thinking "I should have said..." Just a few thoughts for you...1) Go through the Recipe for Success book. Under "Presenting Your Kitchen Show", there are a few pages where you can write out your show outline. Use that.2) Don't worry about recruiting right now. Work on your show presentation and bookings. Recruiting comes naturally later.Don't freak out too badly and enjoy your first show. Remember, you only do your first show once!We have all
nicole.h.
I just signed on to p.c. and am having my first 5 shows between sept. and oct. I am kinda freaking out a little :eek: because although I love to talk and cook, I feel like I'm gonna get up there and blank out in front of everyone! I just got my kit and there is so much information in there, I just feel like I can't retain it all. Plus the other part of it is when I'm reading the books and listening to the cd's, they keep talking about recruiting, I'm worried about myself right now, that's my priority right now, not someone else. Someone please tell me I'm being ridiculous, and that you went through the same thing.
thanks,
Nicole

Nicole,

Welcome to Pampered Chef!!!

We all forget our lines! I have had plenty of shows where I went home thinking "I should have said..." Just a few thoughts for you...

1) Go through the Recipe for Success book. Under "Presenting Your Kitchen Show", there are a few pages where you can write out your show outline. Use that. I took that to my first few shows so I always knew where I was in the show.

2) Don't worry about recruiting right now. Work on your show presentation and bookings. Recruiting comes naturally later.

Don't freak out too badly and enjoy your first show. Remember, you only do your first show once!

Nicole

We have all been there. With PC and other thinks. I felt the same way when I signed up to be a Girl Scout leader and that was 9 years ago. It's ok to have all those feels. Take it one step at a time. Relax! You want to practice your demo a head of time and my husband likes that part because he gets to eat. I tend to go over it while I doing it and see what works best. Start with making index cards to go over your main points. I did that and used them for a whole 2 mins. and when on from there. I look at it as telling a friend what I'm doing and don't think about the fact that there is all those people out there. I was terrified the first time and manager to get though it. They new it was one of my first shows and if I stumbled I just went on. Don't worry about the recruiting now. It will come in time. You do want to feel comfortable to do the presentation, and talk about the great host bonus your host is getting and how they can also get the same benefits. The opportunity should be mentioned, but really I didn't till I felt more comfortable with my demo and then step out of my comfort zone to add that in. There is so much to take in, so one think at a time. Look at the video's and list to the cd's several times. Get to know your products and recipes and have fun. It does get easier, trust me. I've been doing this for 4 years and still can forget something, call it the wrong name or have to look it up. If it's been a long day, well let them know. There all your new friends as I say and I'm hear to help in any way. At least with Pampered Chef I didn't say "what did I get myself into now". I love this business and the company that it represents and going into my fifth year it is getting easier and still rewarding. From that first PC show till now. I've come along way and would never had stood in front of people and talked. PC has helped me grow and you will see that as well. Good Luck we are all with you. Feel free to write us or email we would all love to help. This is a great resourse. :)

I wrote out everything I wanted to say on note cards and USED them for a long time. After a while I would use them less and less. I also TOLD my guests that I was new and they were wonderful to me when I fumbled. After about a year I decided I couldn't use the "new" excuse anymore. :confused:

Now, after 3 years when I mess up but I use the "I'm over 50" or "they say you lose brain cells with each child and I just had a grandchild so I count that". In other words have fun with it! It will make you more at ease and it will make them more comfortable. If you get embarrassed, they are upset for you and it's not good. LAUGH (don't go crazy :eek: but make light of it.)

Go into the show thinking that these are your friends and you're just going to share some exciting news about some great deals you found. Isn't that what you'd do if you had just found an ad for a great sale or a great new product and then saw your friends?

Beth Brigham said:
Go into the show thinking that these are your friends and you're just going to share some exciting news about some great deals you found. Isn't that what you'd do if you had just found an ad for a great sale or a great new product and then saw your friends?

It helps me to approach the show thinking that these are my friends, too....and the way that I do that is by getting to know the guests a little bit as they arrive. By the time the demo starts, I am not looking at a sea of strangers and I am able to feel more at ease!

Thanks everyone, this is all great advice. I didn't realize I could "cheat" with the cards. Plus I still have a few weeks before my first show. I don't think its ever good to think to much :confused: then panic sets in. I can't believe I'd even be like this in the first place. We have people over all the time for parties and I'm in the kitchen half the time cooking so what's the difference?! Love the help, so if anyone wants to add their tricks of the trade, please do! :D

That's a good way to look at it....like you're just getting ready for a party by preparing your recipes and all your friends are standing around. That's the kind of informal atmosphere people like anyway! And as for using cheat sheets and things like that..you can do it however you want. It's your business! If there are consultants out there who memorize everything and have it flow perfectly every time, more power to them.

I also subscribe to the train of thought that having babies who turn into kids deplete brain cells. I only have two kids....I'd hate to see my brain with more than that! :)

when i first started..I took some advice and really used all my new kitchen tool that came in my kit. I used them everytime i cooked so , i knew exactly how they worked what i liked about them and it was so much easier to do my presentaion. I knew what i was talking about. I had never been to a PC show , or owned any products before i signed ! A friend was doing a show begged me to book one so I did, was amazed and signed 2 days later !
So that is my advice get to use everything in your kit ! Once you do you will not want anything but PC tools !! Good luck ! It will go great ! Just remeber we have all been there !! :)

Nicole, I know how you feel!

Before my first kitchen show, I watched the Kitchen Show video about 10 times, trying to memorize everything she said. I would "demo" in the shower, repeating my lines, and in the car too! I'd talk out loud, seeing if I could say what I wanted to say without stumbling over the words. I was nervous!

Even now, there are times when I will get halfway through a sentence, and forget what I was going to say...haha...so embarrassing! Here are a few lines that I always throw into my show that cover me when these times happen:

"I'm Pampered, but not Perfect"
"Don't let the 'Chef' on my apron fool you..."
"Thank goodness there wasn't an interview for this job, 'cause I'm not sure I would have gotten it!"
"Can you believe they pay me for this?"
"See, this job is so easy, they'll let anyone try it, even me!"

When I'm following a recipe that I haven't done too often, I always say:
"The Pampered Chef includes an "oops" factor into their recipes, so if an ingredient isn't just quite right, or if an ingredient is omitted, the recipe will still turn out great! But for tonight, I want to do this right, so I'm going to follow along with my recipe right here."
That way, if you have to keep glancing down, they know why!

You'll do just great!

Oops factor!I've been practicing recipes for my family, and last Friday I had my parents over and I made both the Roasted Chicken, Onion, and Rosemary pizza and the Mediterranean Pizza...both of which came out amazing. However, I also was going to make the Lemon Blueberry cake. I waited until the pizzas were in the oven, mixed up the batter, put it in my baker, put the blueberries on top of the batter. Measured out the water to heat up in the microwave and went to get the lemon gelatin out of the cupboard...only to find I hadn't BOUGHT it. After a minute of "what do I do now," and wondering if I should run up to the store instead, I just used the gelatin I did have on hand.

Which was strawberry.

While it wasn't quite as lemony as the only lemon was the zest in the cake, it was still an incredible cake. My parents loved it and it showed me that you can still make something work if you're missing something!

Tracy

Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe?Jacy
I was wondering what recipe book the Lemon Blueberry Cake is in. I found it on Joyces' Fine cooking website but cant fine it anywhere else.
Thanks,
Vicki

I'll have to ask...my recruiter, as she's the one that gave it to me.

Will let you know when I find out!

Tracy

I always forget my lines. I am not a real people person and get really nervious. I completely black out when im nervoius and forget so much. I dont think it really matters my commisionable show average is $494.00. People understand we are human and not perfect. The products also speak for themselves. :p

I forget what I'm saying all the time. I blame it on my age or the fact that my son and his wife just had a baby (they say you lose brain cells with every child and I insist that it's true with grandchildren too ;) ). They always get a laugh out of that...

Lemon Blueberry CakeI'm sorry, we can't seem to find what cookbook it appeared in. It's delicious though!

Tracy

was it just a cake or a cheesecake or pudding cake? The Lemon Blueberry cheesecake torte is in Casual Cooking and Lemon Blueberry Pudding Cake is in It's Good for You. HTH

Even the best of usI recently went to a recuiting workshop conducted by Janice Gerol, who is the VP and Gen manager of Pampered Chef Canada, and she told us that she's had PLENTY of kitchen show horror stories over ten years of doing shows!!
Do not feel bad if you fumble around your first few shows--people ARE very forgiving, especially if you tell them it's your first show. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to be perfect.
Remember--even the most successful (present and former) kitchen consultants are going to forget thier lines, goof up recipes, miss opportunites... babble occasionally( :D )!!!!
I'd list all my OWN minor disasters here, but it would take too long! :rolleyes:
Best of luck with your new business!
You'll be wonderful, even if you aren't perfect!!
D.C.

Hey Deborah was the recruiting meeting with Janis good? She comes to Winnipeg in a few weeks and wondered how it went?Thinking of going but not sure.

You can look up recipes on Consultants Corner to find out which cookbook they are from. I have to do it often. The Lemon Blueberry Pudding cake is GREAT!

recruiting workshopDear cla519;

I really enjoyed the seminar with her, and I would definately recommend taking it if she'll be in your area. It was a four hour workshop, and Janice is a good speaker--and the fact that she's been so successful is pretty inspirational!! :D
We were quite a small group, though (we just made the min. 15 people), and for us it got more personal--telling stories, touching on other topics, etc. I don't know if it would be that way at a bigger workshop.
The best thing I got out of it was about my attitude, both to hosting shows and recruiting. I, like some others, have tended to hesitate to ask people if they want to join Pampered Chef (or host a show) as if it were a favor they were doing ME. What Janice made clear was that offering this opportunity to people is a favor WE are doing THEM!
In the same way that, when you first started buying PC products, you loved them so much you were "selling" them to your friends (raving about your favorites, convincing peolple to try it), we should feel the same way about having people JOIN PC.
Since the workshop, I haven't had a show, so I haven't had a chance to test out all my new ideas (and new attitude) for recruiting, but I'm looking forward to finding out if it'll make a difference.
I did book a catalogue show with a neighbor the evening I got back from the workshop, though--while I was riding the inspirational wave!! :D
D.C.

Thanks for the info I will go see Janis for sure. When she was in Winnipeg before in April she was very insperational and I need that as I am have a hard time appoaching people about PC. I finally got a friend of mine to book a party in Sept but that is all I have for now. So seeing her will give me that push I need. I have found so many tips on here that I would like to use but haven't got the courage to do them yet. thanks again

cla519 said:
Thanks for the info I will go see Janis for sure. When she was in Winnipeg before in April she was very insperational and I need that as I am have a hard time appoaching people about PC. I finally got a friend of mine to book a party in Sept but that is all I have for now. So seeing her will give me that push I need. I have found so many tips on here that I would like to use but haven't got the courage to do them yet. thanks again
I know what you mean....stepping outside of that comfort zone is hard! What I do for myself is to choose one thing I try to do out of that list of all the things I want to do. "Force" yourself to do that one thing one time everyday. For example, if someone doesn't like doing customer care calls to customers, make a point to make one call a day. They can call them to let them know we have a new catalog coming out and highlight a few things in there. Once it gets easier in THAT example, they can maybe move onto calling people, announcing the new catalog and then asking if they've ever considered getting friends and family together for a fun theme party (name some themes). I swear, the more you do it, the easier it gets!! Just challenge yourself to step outside of that comfort zone. :)

I will try that thanks

nicole.h. said:
I just signed on to p.c. and am having my first 5 shows between sept. and oct. I am kinda freaking out a little :eek: because although I love to talk and cook, I feel like I'm gonna get up there and blank out in front of everyone! I just got my kit and there is so much information in there, I just feel like I can't retain it all. Plus the other part of it is when I'm reading the books and listening to the cd's, they keep talking about recruiting, I'm worried about myself right now, that's my priority right now, not someone else. Someone please tell me I'm being ridiculous, and that you went through the same thing.
thanks,
Nicole
Nicole, Don't even worry about it. When I had my first show that wasn't for a family member(they never had friends over, just orders from catalogs but I would do as kitchen show cuz I'd do my show in front of them), I just let everyone know at the very beginning that this was my first show and they were all great! The show total was about 475.00, not bad for a first show with 5 guests! There were also 3 outside orders. I have been doing this for a year and I still get nervous before each show but once I get there and start talking, everything works out great! Don't even mention recruiting, it will come. The only thing you want to remember to tell everyone is the host and guest special for the current and next month, don't go beyond that until those months are booked! Good Lucj and just have FUN!!! Ryan :)

Has anyone ever tried just winging it?I found there is a major set back with having a so called script. BORDEM!
I get bored, my guests really get bored then my hosts stop calling for rebookings.
You are not Lucielle Ball or Eve Arden or Marcia Cross or Matt Damen. If you know your products, you have your script. You should not be talking about the products to the point of sounding like a Use & Care Card. Use your real life experiences but do it only during the demo. And those experiences can't be scripted simply because they sound fake if they are. Same goes for telling your story. Scripts remove the inflection of emotion. Emotion, not the words, are what keep people interested in what you are saying.
I simply pretend I know everyone in the room and talk to them like they are fast and firm friends. When was the last time you wrote out a script to have coffee with the girls? Or beers with the guys?
Just remember the three main points you want to touch on. Put reminders on the table in front of you or hold something in your hand. The words will come if the reminder is there. Those three things are you and how you came to do this, recruiting; the guest & host specials for the month; Host speicials for up coming months, bookings; and last but not least, them and what their favorite products are. This is the sale. You let them sell each other the products. I stopped shoving product info two years ago. I simply ask our guest what their favorite products are and off they go! My show averages increased as soon as I stopped with all the fact and figures. BORING!
I will mention things like, "The Baker's Roller makes a great back or foot massager. That reminds me, I need to check to see (your hosts name) has two of those just in case I need one tonight". Or something like, "Oh yes! I really do love our Food Chopper. You know I replaced my squishy stress ball at work with one. Now everyone leaves me alone and I really can get some work done!". Let you come out and you will be fine!

I Wing It!I do...I wing it! I used to have a so-called "script". I would drive my kids CRAZY for an entire week before I had a show, rehersing to them and to myself in the mirror! Then at a meeting once another consultant was talking about how she just "goes with the flow" of the party. So I tried it. And I had the most fun that I ever had at a party! So I don't forget to tell the guests what a really want to remember to tell them, I put together a "show binder". I put in all the flyers of upcoming specials, info about FR, Bridal shows, the opportunity, a receipt so I remember to mention the guarantees, Round-up flyer, info about the benefits of hosting...whatever I want to remember to tell them. Then at the show I breifly go through what is in there and then pass it around. I feel that this works well for me. If I forget to tell them something, oh well, they'll find out the next time. No one is perfect. And this job was not fun for me when I had to pretend to be the perfect kitchen consultant because I am not. So now I am just me at the party...and no one has complained...yet :)

RhondaEXACTLY!!!!!

Shows are boring, not memerable and down right horrible! If that's what I wanted to do part time, I would do what I do full time!

I want to have FUN and a PARTY!!!

I Agree!!!The guests make your show! At my very first show, I was at a good friends house and pretty nervous. We just sat things up in her kitchen at her island and the guests sat around it. It was very casual. I remember I made a Taco Ring and as I used each product, I ask who had this item and that person would talk about. That show was over $600. I remember driving home being so pumped up and I realized that all I had to do was get the guests talking and it would work. I do things like if I am using a stone, I talk about how it is the Sept special - and they get a discount by hosting or placing an order. Then I ask who has other stones and what do they like about them. I just go with the flow. One good I idea I saw posted on these boards was to pass a Seasons Best around. Each time you use a product and the guest has it - they raise their hand or shout out and talk about the product and the book gets passed to them. Whoever is holding it at the end of your demo gets to keep it! I think that sounds like an awesome idea and I am going to try it at my brunch show next Saturday!

LinesI, too, am a new consultant! I am actually using my first party, which I am hosting, to practice - I invited a smaller group of sympathetic friends, and am raffling off my hostess benefits to "take the sting out of any mistakes or pauses I make" I know I will get lower sales, but almost all of these folks are hostessing or attending one of my next couple of parties - I figured it would boost my confidence to have them tell me how much better I have gotten! :)

I am actually billing this as a "watch me cut and talk at the same time" event - they are all rooting for me to keep all of my fingers! I have already taken a chunk out of my finger with the food chopper. Apparently, you should remember that the blades are sharp when you swipe your finger in there to dislodge some onions that are stuck... :eek:

I'll let you know how it goes!

Laurel

Yes Lose the Script...I have a horror story..... picture it my first show.... Iam nervous...I had index cards all written out from the intro to the recipe the whole show was outlined... I practiced my index cards before i left. I guess I didnt put them back in order. I started the show with my cards I got going on the recipe . i had somehow lost a few and the rest were way out of order !! I thought i was going to die... I was searching through them couldnt find #7.... the crowd was silent, my face was bright red. I stopped took a deep breath looked up at the crowd and said well who needs the cards anyway. They all laughed... the ice was broken i relaxed and had a great show. I never used cards again !!! It is all just comes to you .. dont worry if you have used your PC products you know all the great things about them, you know what they do ! You will see. I was the same way I was so afraid to ask people, I was the type of person who took it personal if I got a no. I have change my thought pattern , they are not saying NO to me, it is No to a show. I let it roll off and ask the next person. The way I figure is that if I ask someone and they say no what have i lost?? Nothing. When you just start asking people it gets easier trust me it does, when you hear a yes it will have all paid off !! :)

Most people are nervous anytime they're new at something. Before my days of Pampered Chef, I worked at a Division office for a grocery chain working with beer & wine merchandising. Anyway, I'd been there about a week, and slowly learning the 5-line phone system (before the blessed voice mail). Anyway, lots of calls coming through all at once, so what do I do...
"Thank you for calling Albertsons, can you hold please" (hit the hold button)
okay, time to go back and answer. So what do I say:
"Thank you for helping, may I hold you?" :eek:
UGH - as soon as I said it, I knew that didn't sound right. Needless to say, it was our Corporate Vice President of Accounting calling me! I could have died!!! He laughed and responded..."Rita???" I apologized and told him about the phones and I was pushing buttons like a crazy woman. From then on, he would joke with me about how I owed him a hug when he flew down to meet me.
We are human, and fortunately so are the folks that we do shows with. If we were perfect at it, nobody else would want to join us. I often say things at my show (when things don't go as perfectly as planned) that I'm a Pampered Chef, not a Perfect Chef, etc. If you can laugh at yourself, it'll go just fine. Have fun and enjoy your shows!

To script or not to script?I have to say, it really depends on the person.
Some people really can wing it. My recruiter (who is also my sister-in-law) has never stressed or worried over her shows, always wings it, and does a good job.
Personally, I can't do that. If I don't have some kind of outline (at least in my head), I end up forgetting things (like, part of the recipe!!) or leaving big, uncomfortable pauses, or doing the "uh, um" deal while I gather my thoughts.
Perhaps when I've been done lots of shows I'll be so comfotable I'll be tossing off my shows without a second thought (I hope so!!)
Until then, though, I definately need, if not a word-for-word script, then an outline of what I'm going to say. When I'm talking about the products I have no problem, but when it comes to talking about hosting/recruiting/stuff I'm selling from the catalogue (like cookware) I need to know what (and when) I'm going to talk about it! :rolleyes:
D.C.

Show Vs. PartyOne thing that I personally have gotten into the habit of saying is that I am doing a "Party" and not a "Show". It sounds more fun if we say "party" instead of "show". When I think of it as a party, I think that I tend to have fun too. I think that guests have more fun when they are involved and talking at party...we just try to get the guests to talk about PC. But that is just my two cents... ;)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• msmileyface
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
wcsis
  • brendaziz
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Rosebud
  • Nynaeve