• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do You Drink Through a Straw? Read This!

In summary, I learned that if you drink through a straw, you will develop wrinkles around your mouth like smokers do. This is upsetting to me because I always drink through a straw. I don't think you should worry, but you can always call 1-888-BOTOX if the lines get too deep.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I learned this today from my cousin. Did you know that if you constantly drink through a straw (including sports bottles) that you will develop the same wrinkly lines around your mouth that smokers have? This was startling (and upsetting) to me as I always drink through a straw. Have you heard this?

so does Doris--

I have not heard this, my dentist said it's good to drink from a straw because the drink really doesn't get on your teeth.

cewcooks said:
I have not heard this, my dentist said it's good to drink from a straw because the drink really doesn't get on your teeth.

That's why I do it. That and the fact that I like a lid on my cup when I'm working around my computer.

cewcooks said:

I'd rather have lines and my original teeth than no lines and no teeth! :) LOL... I have dreams about losing all my teeth. :cry:

Hmm, I don't know if I fully believe this Linda!! I don't think you should worry.

rennea said:
Hmm, I don't know if I fully believe this Linda!! I don't think you should worry.

I've never smoked and have recently noticed some of those lines. :yuck: :eek: ...and I always use straws when at restaurants.

rennea said:

I would think that drinking through a straw doesn't require the same force as smoking (I don't smoke, so I can't say for sure). And, it would probably take longer, but I can see how it would happen. You're using the same muscles.

I also noticed that they go away when I smile so I am trying to make it a habit to be smiling as a rule. (You know, when you're just walking and thinking.)

Linda, if the lines get too deep, you could call 1-888-BOTOX :) (kidding)

This was covered on the local news here a couple of weeks ago. They interviewed a couple of cosmetic surgeons and dermatologists who said they had definitely noticed a connection between straws/sports bottles and fine lines.

pamperedlinda said:
I learned this today from my cousin. Did you know that if you constantly drink through a straw (including sports bottles) that you will develop the same wrinkly lines around your mouth that smokers have? This was startling (and upsetting) to me as I always drink through a straw. Have you heard this?

Well, that sucks.

I heard this years ago. It's just the laws of physics.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, that sucks.

*groan* lol

Is there an official award for puns we can nominate you for, or do we need to invent one? :)

Well, yes, you're eventually going to develop lines around your mouth if you always use a straw. You're going to develop lines around your mouth even if you don't use a straw. We're all aging. It's going to happen sometime. The lines will develop much faster if you're smoking because you're pursing your lips more firmly and more frequently, and the smoke itself is aging. The lines may develop a little faster if you're always using a straw, but I can't imagine that it's a huge issue.

The story on the news focused on people who constantly have a sports-type water bottle with them. They indicated that heavy water-drinkers can actually make that motion with their mouth more times per day than many smokers, and start to get lines very quickly.

It takes more muscle force to suck through a sports bottle than a straw too.

Good points. I was thinking of my occasional trip through a drive-through.

Related to Do You Drink Through a Straw? Read This!

What are the benefits of drinking through a straw?

Drinking through a straw can help prevent tooth decay and staining by reducing contact between the liquid and your teeth. It can also help with keeping lipstick intact and reducing the risk of spilling or choking.

Can you use any type of straw for drinking?

While plastic and paper straws are the most common, you can also use reusable straws made of metal, glass, or silicone. Just make sure to clean and sanitize them regularly to prevent bacteria buildup.

Do you have to drink through a straw to avoid staining your teeth?

No, drinking through a straw is just one way to prevent staining. It's also important to brush your teeth regularly, rinse your mouth with water after consuming staining beverages, and limit your intake of coffee, tea, and other dark-colored liquids.

Are there any environmental concerns with using straws?

Yes, single-use plastic straws can contribute to pollution and harm to wildlife. Consider using reusable straws or simply drinking directly from the cup or bottle instead.

Can you use a straw with hot beverages?

It is not recommended to use a plastic or paper straw with hot beverages, as they can easily melt or become soggy. However, there are heat-resistant reusable straws that can be used with hot drinks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jbachen