• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do Posts That Lack Effort Frustrate You?

In summary, there is a discussion about people not taking the time to search for answers before asking repetitive or easily answerable questions on the forum. Some people admit to being guilty of this, while others suggest using the resources provided by the company. The poster acknowledges that it may be easier to just ask for help, but still believes in taking the time to research first. There is also mention of the importance of learning for oneself rather than always relying on others for answers.

Do you try to find an answer for yourself by searching through posts or on CC?

• Yes!

Votes: 117 95.1%
  • No!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Sometimes, but usually not.

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
leftymac
I'm gonna get blasted for this post, I am sure. But, oh well -- I live to stir the pot!

I'm torn. The helpful person in me wants to respond to all questions asked here. However, the teacher in me gets frustrated when there are numerous posts for the same question, or when there are posts about questions that can easily be found if the poster took 5 minutes to read the policies and procedures, or the small print in all of our sales promotion documents that are posted on CC. A lot of people give off the impression that they can't think for themselves.

So, let's take a poll!

Thank you Keith!!!!!

however - I know that I'm guilty of it too sometimes :rolleyes:

Keith - I'll go pick my answer, but I totally agree.Often we'll get busy and say, "help quick I don't have time to seach". I've done that a few times and make it clear that I need a quick answer and would love someone to access something or dig for me because I can't right now.However, there are definitely those who ALWAYS come here, never go to CC and aren't the type to read/research for themselves. I've had someone personally contact me with a policy question and admit that they can't focus enough to read the entire manual but needed an answer. I don't mind helping at all.But for those who are just lazy, I must have a little teacher in me too...maybe that's why I just bought my daughter a dictionary to look words up without bugging mom every few minutes! ;)

pamperedlinda said:
Thank you Keith!!!!! however - I know that I'm guilty of it too sometimes :rolleyes:
We're probably all guilty of it sometimes, but we know there are many people who are guilty of it most of the time!And, I hate to say it, but I find myself rolling my eyes or throwing my pencil across the room when I read some of the questions posted! I guess I'm a jerk.

I am not going to blast you. I do try to look for answers first, but sometimes, I am in a hurry, as are a lot of people. Lately I have gotten to spend more time on here and that helps. I am learning where to look, or retaining some of the info I have seen before. I love that we have this forum to be able to look up info for ourselves, and also ask for help when in a pinch.

well not to be mean, this is a site for cheffers to ask fellow cheffers about the biz or personal questions. i do agree with you; but after looking for so long or maybe you are having a bad day you might repost something that someone else has posted before. i might be one guilty for it. i am sorry. we all have busy lives, can the site and the cheffers on here make it just a little bit easier??

thanks for your poll though. i did reply to it: YES!

peachey said:
I am not going to blast you. I do try to look for answers first, but sometimes, I am in a hurry, as are a lot of people. Lately I have gotten to spend more time on here and that helps. I am learning where to look, or retaining some of the info I have seen before. I love that we have this forum to be able to look up info for ourselves, and also ask for help when in a pinch.

I see your point. Being in a hurry, though, I can go to CC and find an answer in the policies and procedures in 5 minutes. That's faster to me than posting, waiting for a response, posting for more clarification, and waiting for other responses.

I'm talking about simple questions such as: "Does such and such count for this promotion?", etc.

I guess I also take for granted that I have fabulous directors nearby that provide lots of support. Though, even if I didn't have great directors that work with me, I've always been pretty driven to find answers myself first.

Nothing like posting something that already gets so many responses in 5 minutes. I love it! Mama always said I like to stir up trouble.

Thank you !!!!! I totally agree with you sometimes we all probably feel like we need answer their questions for them but honestly if they don't start searching for themselves they won't learn from it. I won't pick your thread apart I will agree with you 101%. When I can't find the answer I will come here and either see if there is a thread or find other ways of getting my answers. Atta boy Keith !!!!!

Sometimes it's easier to just reask a question, even if you KNOW it has been posted before, if it's an older post will take longer to find, if it's a LONG post, will take time to sift through...I don't mind answering the same question over and over...if it helps that person, and also because I might be in that situation sometime (I'm sure I have) and I'd want that answer quickly also.

I know what you mean. I'm sure I was guilty of this when I first joined, and am probably guilty of it every now and then today. When people ask repeated questions or questions from the P&P, I like to help because there is a lot of info to absorb at first when you are starting. Sometimes there's so much to take in. It's easy to forget how overwhelming it all is when you just start. I know I read the Hitchhiker's guide that KG wrote and it was super helpful. That should also be required reading before people start here. ;) I do wish HO would print out the P&P for new consultants. I learned how to navigate CC from this site, and I had no idea there was a P&P, too.I think it's okay when people ask, that's the fun of this board...new people coming in and growing. They'll repeat questions (I know I probably did/do a lot) but through experienced people answering and/or pointing them to where to find the answer it helps them to learn. And along the way, it helps to refresh others to the policies and it also helps new ideas to emerge. I'm sure over the years, most of the questions asked have been answered, but this board would be really quiet if the questions weren't asked. I know sometimes I need info real quick and don't have time to wade through all the results in a search. Sometimes I know it was something posted a long time ago and it is taking forever to find it, or I can't remember which category it was posted in, etc. And others seem to know the answers really fast. I guess that's an important thing...help, but also teach in your responses. Gently, though, not condescending. KWIM? :)Well, that's my 2 cents. Hope you all don't mind! :D

babywings76 said:
I know what you mean. I'm sure I was guilty of this when I first joined, and am probably guilty of it every now and then today.

When people ask repeated questions or questions from the P&P, I like to help because there is a lot of info to absorb at first when you are starting. Sometimes there's so much to take in. It's easy to forget how overwhelming it all is when you just start. I know I read the Hitchhiker's guide that KG wrote and it was super helpful. That should also be required reading before people start here. ;) I do wish HO would print out the P&P for new consultants. I learned how to navigate CC from this site, and I had no idea there was a P&P, too.

I think it's okay when people ask, that's the fun of this board...new people coming in and growing. They'll repeat questions (I know I probably did/do a lot) but through experienced people answering and/or pointing them to where to find the answer it helps them to learn. And along the way, it helps to refresh others to the policies and it also helps new ideas to emerge. I'm sure over the years, most of the questions asked have been answered, but this board would be really quiet if the questions weren't asked.

I know sometimes I need info real quick and don't have time to wade through all the results in a search. Sometimes I know it was something posted a long time ago and it is taking forever to find it, or I can't remember which category it was posted in, etc. And others seem to know the answers really fast. I guess that's an important thing...help, but also teach in your responses. Gently, though, not condescending. KWIM? :)

Well, that's my 2 cents. Hope you all don't mind! :D

That's an extremely well-written response! :)

I do try and look first, but sometimes it's really hard to find posts, even when you know you saw it a week or so ago (I get VERY frustrated with searching onthis site!).

One thing I will do is check that I'm understanding something correctly. This morning I had a question about HWC fundraisers vs normal fundraisers, about the % raised and the commission %. The documents I found on CC did not say anything, my searches here gave me some info. Later today (I have to run out now) I'm going to post with what I found and check that I have it right. I think that should be OK, and will hopefully help other people with the same question.

But in general, I think it is OK to sometimes come here first if it means you don't have to spend 30mins trying to dig out the info, but for other things that are easy to find, spend that 2 mins first. There are times when we're all in a hurry and look for the quickest option! I do agree that if someone NEVER looks for themself, they should maybe try a little harder, and learn something in the process...

And everyone should read (and highlight!) P & P!!!

Got to run, may edit this later... I'm trying to be polite and helpful!

It would help when searching for a specific thread, if people titled the threads so that they were searchable. KWIM? If your thread title has nothing to do the topic of the thread, it's difficult to search for it.

For instance (and this is completely made up) titling a thread

"I need help!!!!",

When what you need are some power cooking recipes.

If the thread was titled "Help finding power cooking recipes" - it would be much easier to reference later.

I'm sorry Keith if I have ever offended you with any of my posts. Let me go sulk in a corner... :p;):balloon::rolleyes::cool::chef:

I have to agree that using the search feature on the site makes searching very difficult. I did learn a trick though, but can't remember from whom: Use Google! You can type "site:chefsuccess.com" followed by your search criteria in Google, and it'll work much better than the search function here.

i sometimes feel silly starting new threads because of this very reason. i dont want people sitting at home or work throwing their pencils across the room ;);)

i do try to look first for an answer. but - like yesterday - i was in a panic because my p3 wasnt working. had i gone to cc first & lurked around, i would have found the answer. but because i was in a panic, i just posted a thread. then ofcourse, i felt ridiculous for panicking & posting a thread with my question. :eek::blushing:

ChefBeckyD said:
It would help when searching for a specific thread, if people titled the threads so that they were searchable. KWIM? If your thread title has nothing to do the topic of the thread, it's difficult to search for it.

For instance (and this is completely made up) titling a thread

"I need help!!!!",

When what you need are some power cooking recipes.

If the thread was titled "Help finding power cooking recipes" - it would be much easier to reference later.

that is a good point. even just when im looking at "new posts." its nice to know what thread i might be opening if there was something more specific in the title.

thecougchef said:
i sometimes feel silly starting new threads because of this very reason. i dont want people sitting at home or work throwing their pencils across the room ;);)

i do try to look first for an answer. but - like yesterday - i was in a panic because my p3 wasnt working. had i gone to cc first & lurked around, i would have found the answer. but because i was in a panic, i just posted a thread. then ofcourse, i felt ridiculous for panicking & posting a thread with my question. :eek::blushing:

See, those kinds of questions don't bother me - because I understand being in a panic over something like that. Especially if you need something done NOW and don't have time to browse for a while to find your answer.

I get sooooo frustrated when people obviously haven't done a little reading. That's not to say that everyone is expected to remember every word of every flyer and communication from HO, but there should be at least a minimal amount of scanning/skimming done before a question is posted.I agree that the policies should be included in the kit, like they used to be. But the electronic ones are at least searchable (there's a search field on the top of Acrobat Reader). And someone shared a tip a while back that makes searching this site easier. Instead of using the built-in forum search (which you get to using the "search" link above), use Google. Put "site:chefsuccess.com" as the first item in your search, then your keywords.There have also been a lot of questions lately that are better directed to HO instead of users here. If the policies are unclear, HO won't know that we in the field are confused about them unless they get feedback in the form of questions. And HO is the only true source for official policy answers.

chefann said:
I get sooooo frustrated when people obviously haven't done a little reading.

That's not to say that everyone is expected to remember every word of every flyer and communication from HO, but there should be at least a minimal amount of scanning/skimming done before a question is posted.

I agree that the policies should be included in the kit, like they used to be. But the electronic ones are at least searchable (there's a search field on the top of Acrobat Reader). And someone shared a tip a while back that makes searching this site easier. Instead of using the built-in forum search (which you get to using the "search" link above), use Google. Put "site:chefsuccess.com" as the first item in your search, then your keywords.

There have also been a lot of questions lately that are better directed to HO instead of users here. If the policies are unclear, HO won't know that we in the field are confused about them unless they get feedback in the form of questions. And HO is the only true source for official policy answers.

This is a very good point.

Plus, if you get a wrong answer here (and often the answers given are incomplete, inaccurate, or just plain wrong) you can't use that as an excuse with HO when you get into trouble! ("But on Chefsuccess, someone told me it was okay to have that link"....:rolleyes:)

chefann said:
I get sooooo frustrated when people obviously haven't done a little reading.

That's not to say that everyone is expected to remember every word of every flyer and communication from HO, but there should be at least a minimal amount of scanning/skimming done before a question is posted.

I agree that the policies should be included in the kit, like they used to be. But the electronic ones are at least searchable (there's a search field on the top of Acrobat Reader). And someone shared a tip a while back that makes searching this site easier. Instead of using the built-in forum search (which you get to using the "search" link above), use Google. Put "site:chefsuccess.com" as the first item in your search, then your keywords.

There have also been a lot of questions lately that are better directed to HO instead of users here. If the policies are unclear, HO won't know that we in the field are confused about them unless they get feedback in the form of questions. And HO is the only true source for official policy answers.

I like to read everything I can cause I feel like if I don't I am so missing something and it could be super important... I find that it also helps my business and I can relate to what your saying Ann, I think I found my business is stronger cause I have taken the time to read things from the start and I keep doing it and I don't ever wanna feel like I am buggin people with questions.

As a director, I try to teach my team to look for answers first before calling me. It part of taking ownership in your business. If you call and ask me a question, I will first ask you where you looked for the answer. Not because I don't want to help you, but I want you to learn where things are. And if you haven't looked in your Business Guide or on CC, I'll send you there first and THEN call me if you can't find your answer.There are times I get frustrated by the questions and requests here, but hey, we were all new and overwhelmed once, right?

D'accour Kieth. (Please correct my French spelling!)

I agree Keith. Sometimes people just need to do a little searching... it really irks me when I click on the new posts link and there are 2 of the almost exact same question being asked or when someone asks a really simple basic question that I know is in the policy and procedures.

That being said, I know we all, including me, will start a new thread if we are in a hurry and I also understand we often have new people on here.

Now we are all going to be super self-conscious about starting new threads. :D

babywings76 said:
Now we are all going to be super self-conscious about starting new threads. :D

Nope, not at all! :D

leftymac said:
I see your point. Being in a hurry, though, I can go to CC and find an answer in the policies and procedures in 5 minutes. That's faster to me than posting, waiting for a response, posting for more clarification, and waiting for other responses.

I'm talking about simple questions such as: "Does such and such count for this promotion?", etc.

I guess I also take for granted that I have fabulous directors nearby that provide lots of support. Though, even if I didn't have great directors that work with me, I've always been pretty driven to find answers myself first.

Some people aren't as computer savvy as others....lol.

I try to look first, but if I can't find the answer, or need more info I will post for help.

Is it me or the time of the post are way off!!

Yani said:
Is it me or the time of the post are way off!!

Nope, check your settings...it is on track here.

Ok so I have been looking all morning for a picture of two recipes I want to add to my invitation that I must bring to the host in 45 minutes and ....still can't find it. I asked and two members gave me ideas but I guess Im too new in this (or havent loged in as many times) would it be bad if I post a thread. Well since there are so many responding meaybe someone last minute has the pictures of the Jerk Chicken Nachos and the Spinach Pizza Carbonara. Not even google helped me out..please I need a miracle..

Thank you Soooooooo much

Yani

Yani said:
Ok so I have been looking all morning for a picture of two recipes I want to add to my invitation that I must bring to the host in 45 minutes and ....still can't find it. I asked and two members gave me ideas but I guess Im too new in this (or havent loged in as many times) would it be bad if I post a thread. Well since there are so many responding meaybe someone last minute has the pictures of the Jerk Chicken Nachos and the Spinach Pizza Carbonara. Not even google helped me out..please I need a miracle..

Thank you Soooooooo much

Yani

Already gave you one in the thread - just look for it - you can't miss it!

In my defense..Im fearly new to Pampered Chef and pretty lost. The lady that signed me up threw me to the wolves and I have had to do this on my own while babysitting 1 kid plus my own during the day and dealing with homework, dinner and kids at night. I have learned sooo much from this web site and I have only signed in a few times. Every time I have gotten stuck (like today) "Everyone helps out"...sometimes we just dont have the whole day like I have spent today looking for somenthing that someone might have the answer for right away.. I think we are here to help each other out..and doesn't it feel good when you know you have helped someone out no matter how dumb the question is...

just my thoughts..thank you for reading them

yani

I know..and I thank you so much ..but I cant copy and paste the picture it is PDF..sometimes Im a computer dummy..thank you again

janetupnorth said:
Already gave you one in the thread - just look for it - you can't miss it!
In my defense..Im fearly new to Pampered Chef and pretty lost. The lady that signed me up threw me to the wolves and I have had to do this on my own while babysitting 1 kid plus my own during the day and dealing with homework, dinner and kids at night. I have learned sooo much from this web site and I have only signed in a few times. Every time I have gotten stuck (like today) "Everyone helps out"...sometimes we just dont have the whole day like I have spent today looking for somenthing that someone might have the answer for right away.. I think we are here to help each other out..and doesn't it feel good when you know you have helped someone out no matter how dumb the question is...

yani

:blushing: I already looked for it but it is pdf and I cant seem to copy and paste..sometimes Im a computer dummy..sorry to bug again

Yani said:
:blushing: I already looked for it but it is pdf and I cant seem to copy and paste..sometimes Im a computer dummy..sorry to bug again

I posted a thread for you about 15 minutes ago...click on new posts - you can't miss it. I already put it in word for you.

When you get a chance, also spend some time on CC and look through all our resources there. There are great invitations you can buy and also ones already made for theme shows that you can fill in and print. We often make this job tougher than it is.

:) Thank you sooo much...all your help means the world..thank you a million times

Yani said:

yani

I TOTALLY agree!

Everyone has those days - when we just can't seem to find the info and need to just ask. But there are some who seemingly NEVER look things up.And I try to give a little more leeway to the new consultants (based on their show count and experience indicators).

chefann said:
Everyone has those days - when we just can't seem to find the info and need to just ask. But there are some who seemingly NEVER look things up.

And I try to give a little more leeway to the new consultants (based on their show count and experience indicators).

Again, I TOTALLY agree :).

I am "new" to the PC. I was a consultant four years ago and THINGS HAVE CHANGED. I don't know where to look for everything but I try to search around before I ask. I am glad people on here are helpful and don't mind the newbies asking questions!! :)

i try to search out my own answers. at first i just lurked on here, not posting anything, then i took the leap and started posting. i know i got comfortable posting and it seemed that anytime i had any questions i would come here first and post. then a few months ago someone voiced their headache with the repeat offenders of never searching for themselves. i took it personally at first, then( about 5 minutes later) i realized that they were right. i shouldn't have been relying on CS to answer all my stupid questions BEFORE searching them. now i see it and i try not to post anything unless it is relevant. i even have found that i will type out posts just to delete them when i realize how OT they are or how silly of a question it really is. i just hope that some of the new repeat offenders take this and the other discussion here as encouragement to grow that self sufficiency and start searching things on their own. just my 2 cents. :chef:

I agree and I am guilty of asking a question ro too because I confuse easily, but I always look first, not to say I haven't missed a post or the answer :)

The teacher in me too always makes me at least try, but sometimes the search feature here is kind of picky.

If I'm in a big hurry, I like to depend on the 'WEALTH of knowledge that I know is out there and can reply almost instantly.

I don't understand what's frustrating about it? I think it's pretty easy to just ignore the question if you think they don't deserve the answer.
The way I see it is that this forum is really slow compared to some other forums I am on- so I actually don't mind the repeats at all. It keeps things moving and gets opinions from new people who may not have responded to previous posts about the same topic.

prepchef said:
D'accour Kieth. (Please correct my French spelling!)

I'll correct your French AND English spelling. :)

D'accord Keith!

Well I couldn't answer any of the answers on the poll. I "Sometimes ask here but usually try finding it first"! LOL!

It is frustrating to me when someone posts something and because it's a new post it catches my attention so I go to look at it and the responses are all... there is already a post about this, go look at it. Then I have to search and search for the other thread... if the new thread was never started it wouldn't peak my interest like that! Also, there are lots of categories on this board. It would be great if everyone used them :)

I totally agree! It does get old seeing the same questions all the time. But, I do also agree that the search function is hard at times.

1. <H2>What is considered a post lacking effort?</H2><p>A post lacking effort is one that shows little to no attempt at researching or finding the answer on one's own. This can include asking a question that has been asked multiple times before or not taking the time to read through available resources before posting.</p>2. <H2>Why do posts lacking effort frustrate you?</H2><p>As a representative of Pampered Chef, it is our goal to provide helpful and accurate information to our customers. When we see posts that lack effort, it can be frustrating because it shows that the poster has not taken the time to fully understand the company's policies and procedures.</p>3. <H2>What can be done to prevent posts lacking effort?</H2><p>One way to prevent posts lacking effort is to encourage individuals to research their questions before posting. This can include checking the company's website, reading through available resources, and using the search function on our community forum.</p>4. <H2>How can we educate posters on the importance of putting effort into their posts?</H2><p>We can educate posters by reminding them of the resources available to them and encouraging them to use them before posting. We can also provide guidelines for posting and emphasize the importance of taking the time to understand the company's policies and procedures.</p>5. <H2>What are some common examples of posts lacking effort?</H2><p>Common examples of posts lacking effort include asking questions that have already been answered, not providing enough information for others to help, and not taking the time to read through available resources before posting. It can also include posts that are off-topic or irrelevant to the company or products.</p>

What is considered a post lacking effort?

A post lacking effort is one that shows little to no attempt at researching or finding the answer on one's own. This can include asking a question that has been asked multiple times before or not taking the time to read through available resources before posting.

Why do posts lacking effort frustrate you?

As a representative of Pampered Chef, it is our goal to provide helpful and accurate information to our customers. When we see posts that lack effort, it can be frustrating because it shows that the poster has not taken the time to fully understand the company's policies and procedures.

What can be done to prevent posts lacking effort?

One way to prevent posts lacking effort is to encourage individuals to research their questions before posting. This can include checking the company's website, reading through available resources, and using the search function on our community forum.

How can we educate posters on the importance of putting effort into their posts?

We can educate posters by reminding them of the resources available to them and encouraging them to use them before posting. We can also provide guidelines for posting and emphasize the importance of taking the time to understand the company's policies and procedures.

What are some common examples of posts lacking effort?

Common examples of posts lacking effort include asking questions that have already been answered, not providing enough information for others to help, and not taking the time to read through available resources before posting. It can also include posts that are off-topic or irrelevant to the company or products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back