• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover the Benefits of Our Smooth-Edge Can Opener - No Sharp Edges!

In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness and safety of a can opener that claims to leave no sharp edges. Some people question if it actually cuts the can or just loosens the lid, while others demonstrate its effectiveness by rubbing the lid on their arm or using it to open canned gifts. Some have had issues with the can opener not working properly, while others have mastered its use and love its added feature of lifting the lid. Overall, the can opener is seen as a great tool for opening cans without sharp edges.
rebeccastt
Silver Member
Am I correct in telling my customers that the can opener does not CUT the can, it opens it where the seal is? The catalog says, "This can opener cuts below the can edge, leaving no sharp edges!"!!!

I never noticed that before until I was raving about it at my last show and my hostess said, "Well the catalog says that it cuts the can!". Yikes....

That's a good question. The catalog does say that but looking at teh can opener it doesn't look like it has a blade to 'cut'.

Yes, the can opener cuts the can. It cuts it in a different place and in a slightly different way than traditional can openers. If you look closely at the rim of the can before you pull the lid off, you can see where it's cut.

When people ask me why the lid isn't sharp, I tell them I've decided it's just magic.

Anyone ever do the "rub the lid across your wrist" demo for the can opener? It's a real shocker. Everyone gasps - they think you're going to end up slitting your wrists. And then when nothing happens it's an effective way to demonstrate the safety of the tool.
:)

I say it breaks the seal on the lid. I also talk about the fact that the "average" can opener is one of the largest causes of cross contamination in the kitchen.

Like the idea of rubbing the lid on your wrist expect I think I would use the other side of my arm, it would give the same wow factor with out them thinking I'm suicidal. JMO

I also cross sell with the kitchen shears...I open the can with the smooth edge can opener, then talk about the kitchen shears, then pick up the lid and tell them it even cuts metal, and cut the lid and bend it up to show them and they are all amazed...I have sold quite a few can openers and shears that way...

I swear it breaks the seal cause when I use the can opener you can see the stuff they seal the lid with pull off as I am pulling the lid off

I had always been told that's what it did. Which is why there are no sharp edges, it's not actually cutting anything.

Thanks for that tip with the shears. I'll have to do that!

I did hear a cute tip for the can opener a while back (it may have been from this loop). Open a can, empty the contents. Wash and dry the lid and the can. Fill with a gift - small toy, snack mix, etc. Run a bead of super glue around the top edge of the can and place the lid back on. You can then make a cute label (so it doesn't say "Soup") and give it to the recipient. They'll have to use a can opener to get the gift out.
Because the can is just closed and not actually vacuum sealed, I'd recommend putting any food items into plastic inside the can. :)

This is a great and fun thing to do... if you use a pop top can... then take the bottom off and reglue that one... then people are REALLY amazed at the "closed" can. I did this with some ornaments last year.

I was always taught that it "loosens the lid instead of cutting it". That's what I've always told people.

Cute idea of putting gifts inside & gluing back on! making them work for their gift!

I have had my can opener for over a year and half the time it doeasn't open up the whole lid when I use it. I try not to use it at my shows anymore because I'm worried it won't work. I haven't done anything different it just all of the sudden won't work on some cans. Its not the brand of the can because it will work every once in awhile. I also had a host this month say that she had one and threw it away because it didn't work. I like the idea of our can opener but am worried about promoting it as much when I've had so many problems with it.

Janel I know when I use my can opener I have to go around about 2 times to get the lid completely off.

I love my can opener. It took me a few uses to get the hang of it but I love it now. Especially when I realized if you use the opener it has the little thing that pulls the lid up for you after you open it! That made it alot easier to get the top off. :D

I had to take about 5 min and keep on trying to get the hang of mine but it works like a charm every time. I also agree with the loosening the seal because I also get the stuff pulling up with the lid every time.

You have to make sure the "wheels" are lined up just right. I still bend down to take a peek.

janel kelly said:
I have had my can opener for over a year and half the time it doeasn't open up the whole lid when I use it. I try not to use it at my shows anymore because I'm worried it won't work. I haven't done anything different it just all of the sudden won't work on some cans. Its not the brand of the can because it will work every once in awhile. I also had a host this month say that she had one and threw it away because it didn't work. I like the idea of our can opener but am worried about promoting it as much when I've had so many problems with it.

I have the same problem about 50% of the time, my wheel is bent, my hubby tried to force it on a can before he knew how to use it, I also go around twice, and it works.

I love the gift in the can idea. You could put twix-its in it, i-slice, cooks core, small bamboo spoons, measuring spoons. Even larger and longer items in a bigger can. Great scout idea for the holidays are a project.

I used your idea of the "lid on the wrist" last night at my show. It was SO funny... one lady nearly came off her chair!!!!!! But I sold 2 and there were only 7 guests there! They were SO impressed and mentioned about the lid not dropping in their food... and saying... do you REALLY know where this can has been??? helped tremendously!!!!!! Thanks for the idea!

chefann said:
Anyone ever do the "rub the lid across your wrist" demo for the can opener? It's a real shocker. Everyone gasps - they think you're going to end up slitting your wrists. And then when nothing happens it's an effective way to demonstrate the safety of the tool.
:)

Cool!! I'm going to do this!! Loved the re-seal gift idea too!! :thumbup:

I thought that I would share this. The can opener does not cut the can. What it is actually doing is breaking the seal the manufactor has put there. The top is actually glued to the can and our can opener cuts throught the GLUE that they sealed the can with. I love the wrist demo. Everyone gasps. It's a great demo to get their attention.

I hope that helps....
Kim

That's what I thought too. Sometimes I can see the string of glue coming up with the lid as I'm removing it.

Christ Follower said:
That's what I thought too. Sometimes I can see the string of glue coming up with the lid as I'm removing it.

String of glue? Is that a good thing? So many people hate anything that comes in a can, maybe that's why (??) Well mystery solved then! It's good to get the inside scoop! :)

janel kelly said:
Contact HO and get a reference #, then send it back for a replacement. It should work every time! I had one that didn't work after a couple months and exchanged it. I tell people it's my mission to get one in everyone's home - especially people with kids and/or pets.

I give them a visual of a 2 year old seeing a fruit pie filling can in the garbage and licking the can. It is very effective (and a true story - thankfully the can had been opened with our can opener).

Good visual of the kids & the can! I tell the story of my next-door neighbor. She had to have her dog put down because he got a can out of the trash and it totally tore up his mouth. It was horrible.

Addie4TLC said:
String of glue? Is that a good thing? So many people hate anything that comes in a can, maybe that's why (??) Well mystery solved then! It's good to get the inside scoop! :)
That string of glue is food safe (I have never seen it actually touch the food though) but those metal shavings that happen with other openers are not!

What are the benefits of using a Smooth-Edge Can Opener?

The Smooth-Edge Can Opener from Pampered Chef is designed to eliminate sharp edges on cans when opening. This helps to prevent any accidental cuts or injuries while using the can opener. Additionally, it creates a smooth and safe edge on the can, making it easier to pour or remove food from the can.

How is the Smooth-Edge Can Opener different from traditional can openers?

The Smooth-Edge Can Opener uses a unique cutting mechanism that cuts along the side of the can rather than the top. This results in a smooth edge instead of a sharp one. Traditional can openers cut through the top of the can, leaving sharp edges that can be dangerous and difficult to handle.

Is the Smooth-Edge Can Opener easy to use?

Yes, the Smooth-Edge Can Opener is designed to be easy to use. It has an ergonomic handle that provides a comfortable grip and requires less effort to open cans. It also has a large knob that makes it easy to turn, even for those with limited hand strength.

Can the Smooth-Edge Can Opener open all types of cans?

The Smooth-Edge Can Opener is designed to open most standard-sized cans, including cans with pull-tabs. However, it may not be suitable for larger or irregularly shaped cans. We recommend checking the size and shape of the can before using the opener.

Is the Smooth-Edge Can Opener dishwasher safe?

Yes, the Smooth-Edge Can Opener is dishwasher safe. It is also easy to clean by hand with warm, soapy water. It is important to dry the can opener thoroughly before storing to prevent any rusting or damage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • Mommabear