• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover Fun Kids Cooking Shows: Explore the World of Culinary Creativity!

A
Andrea1627
Someone on the thread mentioned that they do kids cooking shows....I forgot who it was, but I want to know more...

Anyone?:confused:

It was DebbieSA I think! She is holding classes in her home this fall. Is that what you are talking about?

Do a search on here for "Kids in the Kitchen"...there is a lot on here. I have done two and frankly don't care to advertise that I do that anymore. Mine were not very successful sales wise. It was a lot of work and a lot of organizing. Although the parents helped out it was pretty chaotic since the kids were participating. I did it with a pretty young group 5 year olds. It would probably be better with older kids. I found that the parents didn't buy the tools that the kids were using!! In fact they didn't buy much at all. It was odd because they were all "ooohing and ahhing" over things that we were doing with the kids. I basically felt like I was the entertainment.

I have been doing Kids shows all summer. Basically I have 2 groups, Kids in the Kitchen for 5 to 9 year olds and Cooking Basics 101 for the older ones. It's been a huge success! I make packages ahead of time and include them in the cost of the class. I limit the size to 8 students and the kids have been great! They go home telling their parents that "these are MY pampered chef products" and actually using them at home! Most of my students repeat the classes and bring friends because I change the recipes each class and change the "package" they come home with. I’m going to expand the idea to include a class right before Thanksgiving to teach a dessert such as the Pumpkin Tartlets and then a special side dish they can do for the Thanksgiving meal. Then before Christmas we will do cookies of course but also either a Candy Cane cake or Christmas tree cinnamon cake to do for Christmas morning. Several of our girls in our cluster have been doing these with a lot of success. :D

Becki, I'd love to hear more about the packages you do ahead of time and the fee you charge. Are the parents (mom or dad) not present during the class?

Kris

kcont said:
I have been doing Kids shows all summer. Basically I have 2 groups, Kids in the Kitchen for 5 to 9 year olds and Cooking Basics 101 for the older ones. It's been a huge success! I make packages ahead of time and include them in the cost of the class. I limit the size to 8 students and the kids have been great! They go home telling their parents that "these are MY pampered chef products" and actually using them at home! Most of my students repeat the classes and bring friends because I change the recipes each class and change the "package" they come home with. I’m going to expand the idea to include a class right before Thanksgiving to teach a dessert such as the Pumpkin Tartlets and then a special side dish they can do for the Thanksgiving meal. Then before Christmas we will do cookies of course but also either a Candy Cane cake or Christmas tree cinnamon cake to do for Christmas morning. Several of our girls in our cluster have been doing these with a lot of success. :D

I want to see what you have had planned & part of the class!!! Please share or email me [email protected]

I did a few cooking classes last fall - - 1st time I charged the price of and they took home Easy Accent Decorator, mini muffin pan and tart shaper. It was high but I got 4 kids and the class was fun. We did cookies.

The next time I charged just $25 per kid and just spent the money on products for me to gather (for future classes or that I wanted) and limited theclass to 90-minutes, and just 2 kids. MUCH easier I thought.

How do you advertise these classes?

To start with I price the class at $40 and then I pick products that would cost that much if an adult ordered them at a party. For instance my last class menu was the hot pizza dip, family style calzone, smores galores, and strawberry lemonaid quencher. The products they got were the mini baker, egg seperator, pizza/roll mix and a small micro bowl. Those items added up to $39.50. When I ordered them I used a past hostess 10% discount and ordered all on one order so that I wasn't out the shipping and tax. I'm still making my comission on it so I'm still making money. I emailed all my past hostesses and plus from the first class the kids keep repeating and bringing their friends. As an added plus a few of my customers passed on my emails to their friends and I've been able to make new leads!

kcont said:
To start with I price the class at $40 and then I pick products that would cost that much if an adult ordered them at a party. For instance my last class menu was the hot pizza dip, family style calzone, smores galores, and strawberry lemonaid quencher. The products they got were the mini baker, egg seperator, pizza/roll mix and a small micro bowl. Those items added up to $39.50. When I ordered them I used a past hostess 10% discount and ordered all on one order so that I wasn't out the shipping and tax. I'm still making my comission on it so I'm still making money. I emailed all my past hostesses and plus from the first class the kids keep repeating and bringing their friends. As an added plus a few of my customers passed on my emails to their friends and I've been able to make new leads!

Thanks for sharing this!

I created a cute little invitation to the cooking classes and was able to pass out to the kids in my kids' 2 classes and to my brownie troop.

could I have the info also? I have been wanting to do a kids cooking show and havent had much luck figuring how to do it. I would love to do this w/ my girl scout troop also.

Thanks!!

inviteplease post it to the group or pass it on to me as well!! thank you so much!!!
jen - [email protected]

Becky, I would also love the information on the kids cooking show.
my e-mail is: [email protected]

Thank you,
Cindy

I'm holding two Kids CAN Cook! Cooking Classes this fall for homeschoolers, ages 7-13! Each class will meet twice a month from September through December (8 classes). I had each student purchase a "kit" that includes the following products:

Mini Muffin Pan
Mini Tart Shaper
Easy Accent Decorator
Small Scoop
Small Mix 'N Scraper (choice of color)
Classic Batter Bowl
Small Batter Bowl

I put the orders through this month so that each student received the Small Batter Bowl for free! I charged $65 per student. I'm not making much money on each sale, but my hope is that throughout the class period that parents will order products or host shows or may even be interested in consulting! Already one mother has talked to me about upgrading from Generation II to Executive Cookware!

I limited the class size to 8 students each. The first class filled up so quickly that I had to consider opening a second class, and I still could open a third class if I had the time! I'm really excited!!

Beth in PA

PS I forgot to say that two siblings can share a kit (so two for the same price of $65 -- I have a few sibling sets in my classes!)

That pretty much what I do also. The preordered kits are ready to go home with the kids when they go home. I'm making my money on my commison from the sales of the kits. The day of the show I set up stations for each recipe we are making. Then I give each child turns at whatever we are making such as assembling the Baked potstickers. For the smaller kids I make up a fresh lemonaid station, a station for cutting fruits and veggies using the A/P/S, my safe ctter, egg slicer, the cooks corer, and a flour shaker with strawberry jello mix in it. Then it's on to making the tic tac doe pizza's from the kids book, then sandwaichs using the all purpose spreader, the cut n seal, and the scalloped bread tube (makes pretty flower shaped sandwichs). Then they make their own lunchables with Ritz crackers and cheese and turkey cut with the creative cutters. Then we take a break and eat our lunch. Afterwards we make sugar cookies using the kids cookie making kit, then they deorate them with the east accent deorator filled with icing and add sprikles. This takes up a whole 2 hours. The smaller kids class I only charge $35 and they get the Kids cookbook and cookie set. A sibling is charged $25 and gets a bar board, cut n seal, my safe cutter, and an all purpose spreader. This keeps it better at home for the kids. The on the next class I just change recipes and the package so I have lots of repeat customers. I hope this helps....it really has been lots of fun and I'm planning on continuing, I have a real fan club now and I think I will be putting together a teenager newsletter out with fun recipes too. I know I will have future hosts and hostesses from this and maybe future consultants!!:D

Where do you hold these cooking shows??

Anything that is not in the kit that you have them purchase, is it something you provide and if so how many do you have on hand. For example the egg slicer, corer, cut n seal etc...

Sounds like fun, just don't want to go in the hole provide everything either.

Kelly

KellyRedHead said:
Sounds like fun, just don't want to go in the hole provide everything either.

You have to have vision! I will invite the mothers to stay and watch -- I am imagining that some will be inspired to buy things that aren't provided in the kit. I also will enourage mothers to host their own cooking show and have their child as my assistant to show off what he/she learned!

Beth in PA

If any of you have an outline as to what exactly you do with kids? the products, recipes, cost, etc. I'd love to have a copy.

My daughter loves to cook and I think having kids her age (8 and older) would be something she'd love to do.

Thank you!
[email protected]

I don't really have an outline, I just go from station to station and wing it ;) . But if you ever had a chance to catch one of my shows that is pretty much what I always do....very much a goofball!!:D I do these at my home and the kids use my products during the class. I have their packages ready for them after we are finished. I include a catalog and a thank you note in their bags. I find when the kids use the products they start telling Mom what they need! Plus the little ones, the mom's stay if they are under 7. Then the Mom see's how excited they get and start looking at a catlog during the class. I see this no different than doing a "free show" where I supply the ingrediants, plus many of the supplies I keep on hand in the kitchen anyway. The parents say that the kids can't stop talking about the classes plus it gets the "whole" family into the mealtime event which is what we are trying to do anyway... :p I have not lost any money....I guess the best way to think of it is as if I went to a Show and knew what everyone wanted to order and already paid for and just ordered for them ahead of time. I still get my comission, and with 8 kids there is enough to make it a show. Hope this helps......

Did you write an article for your local newspaper to announce that you would be doing these classes? How did you get the word out that you are doing this, in order to have them register? I have wanted to do this from the very beginning, but have not gotten it off the ground yet. I've had pre-teens participate at my Shows, and my own grandchildren and I cook together whenever I am with them. What I have read here is inspiring me to want to get moving with it, as soon as possible. Thanks.

Grandmarita,

I am a homeschooling mama of 8 and let a few homeschoolers I know about the classes. They agreed to send out the info to other homeschoolers they know -- so it was primarily through word of mouth!

Beth in PA (formerly of Pittsford, NY)

Ok bear with me.. i'm a little slow at catching on lol

So you invited a bunch of kids, figured out what you would make (each kid making their own recipe?) and had them order their own "kit" to help prepare their recipe? So the cost of the cooking demo is what they need to buy?
Say a personal pizza, each one would need the bakers roller, the small round stone, the pizza cutter? And they would purchase that, you'd give it tot hem at the show and they take it home w/ them?

I'm sorry for the questions just that I'd really love to do this and would want to have the hang of it (as simple as it is) before I offer this.

:) thank you

I sent out an email first and got the parents to pay for the product package first. Then I figured out the recipe and what to put into the product package. The day of the class we all participate in making the recipes, like an interactive class using my tools. The stations I set up are the tools needed for that recipe, (like the pot stickers). We all then eat the meal and they go home with their packages. Most of my kids love the class and then repeat it paying another $40 because I change the recipes and the contents of the product package. Also when it comes to siblings I charge $5 less and get different products for their package so that a family doesn't have duplicate items.

Also.....the kids are making A Enchilda Ring together, not one for each kid.

kcont said:
I sent out an email first and got the parents to pay for the product package first. Then I figured out the recipe and what to put into the product package. The day of the class we all participate in making the recipes, like an interactive class using my tools. The stations I set up are the tools needed for that recipe, (like the pot stickers). We all then eat the meal and they go home with their packages. Most of my kids love the class and then repeat it paying another $40 because I change the recipes and the contents of the product package. Also when it comes to siblings I charge $5 less and get different products for their package so that a family doesn't have duplicate items.

So you use your tools and take turns? How do you create "stations"? Will you give us an example please... Recipe name, and what each station entails, how many kids to a station.

I had my kids by mini muffin pan, tart shaper and EAD - - - then we were all at my table pressing cookies into the pan, pressing the cooked brownie cups, etc. We all did one part of mixing the dough in my kitchen aid. but at the last minute I had to wash everyone's tools. It was kind of stressful - so I thought I would just sign one or 2 kids and charge $25 for 90 minutes, and use my tools.

Do the parents come watch the class, or do they drop their kids off for a certain amount of time?

I create a station at different areas in my kitchen. I use the island and set up my traveling tables. At one station is the drink we are going to have so I have a bowl of lemons, the utility knife (for the little kids they are already cut in half) and a cutting board, the family sized quick-stir pitcher, the citrus press, the citrus juicer, a easy read measure cup, the adjustable scoop, a canister of sugar. Then next station has a cutting board and the tools to make that recipe...etc..... I limit the class to 8 kids and they watch me start 1 lemon and then they all take turns to juice a lemon. For things that only require 1 person do to I just make sure we switch up. As far as time goes I do the classes from 11 to 1pm and use up pretty much all that time. I have uploaded the flyer I use around the neighborhood. We have community mailbox stations so I put flyers around our street. You can use it for the email invites as well.

Attachments

• Kids in the Kitchen Kamp Flyer for Sharla (2).doc
    26 KB · Views: 615
kcont said:
I create a station at different areas in my kitchen. I use the island and set up my traveling tables. At one station is the drink we are going to have so I have a bowl of lemons, the utility knife (for the little kids they are already cut in half) and a cutting board, the family sized quick-stir pitcher, the citrus press, the citrus juicer, a easy read measure cup, the adjustable scoop, a canister of sugar. Then next station has a cutting board and the tools to make that recipe...etc..... I limit the class to 8 kids and they watch me start 1 lemon and then they all take turns to juice a lemon. For things that only require 1 person do to I just make sure we switch up. As far as time goes I do the classes from 11 to 1pm and use up pretty much all that time. I have uploaded the flyer I use around the neighborhood. We have community mailbox stations so I put flyers around our street. You can use it for the email invites as well.

AWESOME flyer!!!! Beckie, what are the recipes you are using? Did you say what you preorder for each group at this price? Just incredible. Would be great to advertise Kamp sessions during November and December vacations or after school (so kids can prepare something for their holiday dinners). Thank you for sharing!

On this camp coming up on the 10th the menu will be the baked potstickers, Hawaiian Chicken Stir Fry, and the Apple Cherrry Tart. I haven't decided a drink yet. The package will consist of The Rice Cooker Plus (so they can make rice with their meals), Bamboo spatula set, small scoop, and the Cinnamon Plus. I'm already setting up a Pre Thanksgiving class, spiced pumkin tarlets and a special side dish they can do to contribute to the Thanksgiving meal and a pre Christmas class for cookies and a cinnamon cake for Christmas morning. The kids can't wait!

My last class we did strawberry lemonaid quencher, Hot Pizza Dip, Family-style Calzone and Smores Galores. They got the mini baker, egg seperator, Pizza/Roll mix, and a small micro bowl. For the little kids they got the Kids cookbook and the Kids cookie making kit, I did have a couple of brothers in that class and the siblings got a bar board, a cut n seal, the my safe cutter, and an all purpose spreader.

kcont said:
I'm already setting up a Pre Thanksgiving class, spiced pumkin tarlets and a special side dish they can do to contribute to the Thanksgiving meal and a pre Christmas class for cookies and a cinnamon cake for Christmas morning. The kids can't wait!

You are sooooo insightful!!! What products are you thinking of giving them with the Thanksgiving one? How about the fluted stone stuffing lava (craberry or gravy inside... potatoes piped around edges) recipe?

Have you made flyers yet?

Wow, you girls are my inspiration! I'd love to do something like this. I get the jist (spelling? lol) of what you are saying. If any of you have any kind of thing written up (besides your fabulous flyer) as to what you are making, the kit they need, etc.. please forward it to me or post it.

We might not make alot doing this but its a great way to make future Pampered Chefs! lol

I co-lead my daughter's girl scout troop and the other leader talked me into NOT teaching a cooking class but to let Young Chef's Academy do it . She wanted the girls to earn their badge and spend some of their money... it was $35 a girl w/ a minimum of 10! They took NOTHING home except recipe's for guacamole and a bean with cheese Quesadilla! What a rip off! They were handed fiskar sissers and told that "We have found there isn't anything that you can't cut up with these." Then they mixed everything with their hands! The helper microwaved the Quesadilla for each girl. Plus, the "Chef" rubbed his face three times during the one hour class!

These are 11 year old girls that should be learning the correct way to use a knife, turn on a stove, use a microwave, pots and pan safety, how to crack an egg and more!

After that, I started offering cooking classes. I love the $40 pre-ordering idea and I will be using it! That price is very reasonable and they actually leave with knowledge on how to properly make something and how to use the products they get. I haven't had any class takers but, I have had people book because they know I won't kick kids out.

Now here is my horror story on kids shows. One hostess insisted that I bring my kids for a cookie show. I made 75 cookies with my cookie press, loaded them in safely in the front seat of my car, and came out to find my 4 year old son jumping up and down ON THE COOKIES! He was excited that he was going to a show with mom! That was the first and last time my kids ever went to a show with me.

Do you provide all the ingredients for these? I was just wondering about that since the food cost seems like it would be very high for 8 kids!!

~Kristen

PC Homeschool Kid's cooking class!!Hello ladies,
Sorry I am late on this post. Hello Andrea!!

I am doing a class in my home. You see it was just going to be a class for kids to come and cook with my kids. 10 classes total for those in my home school group that were interested. I charge $50 for the 10 classes and this will pay for food and the cookie making set.
Siblings can share but usually with four or more kids I have sold two or three. I also have sold many other things in the catalog just for kids that we will be using:
safe cutter
cutting boards
Let's East cookbook

I am raffling off the Chef's hat and apron at the last class. We will be making all kinds of fun stuff, not necessarily PC recipes but quite a few will be. They are doing this in my home and it is for 2 hours. My main reason for this is to share Christ with the kids. My heart is for my kids to be born again as well as other children in my church or anywhere. I was going to do this anyway so I thought, "Why not make it a PC thing?" I am sending them home with worksheets about measurements, nutrition and other food related questions and information. This way it's also educational. Some moms are staying to help just cause they want to.
The moms love PC and I know I will have bookings and website orders just for the simple fact I have opened up my home to them and their children for a class. I hope it's successful and I plan to continue with the same type of idea as someone else on here, just switching up the different products that need to be purchased.
I LOVE THE NEW DECORATOR BOTTLES SET!!!
I also have a kids in the kitchen cookbook and lots of other kids cookbooks to work from. Some things we are making:
Mini Pizzas - of course
Mini Dessert Pizzas - why not?
Pigs in a blanket
Mini cakes - In our prep bowl set
sugar cookies iced and decorated
Pumpkin muffins - for Thanksgiving
Gingerbread houses made with graham crackers - for Christmas
Debbie

So how long before the kids cooking show do you make the payment/registration cut-off? if you have the products available for the kiddos to take home with them, you'd have to order them beforehand -- how much time do you allocate for shipping of products to your house for the show?

TWO weeks
pchefinski said:
So how long before the kids cooking show do you make the payment/registration cut-off? if you have the products available for the kiddos to take home with them, you'd have to order them beforehand -- how much time do you allocate for shipping of products to your house for the show?

You should allocate about two weeks for proper shipping, especially with the way HO has been shipping out items lately, it may end up in Alaska or you might not have all you need or all in one piece!! :p

LOL :D :D I had to say it!! I just had to, I have had lots of problems lately!

But two weeks should do it and then when they show up for class each kid or siblings gets their sets. I will keep the sets at my home so I can clean them and have them ready for next time. I have two classes per week, every other week. Monday and Thursday.
Debbie

When doing a kids themed kitchen show do you have an age limit for the kids???

DebbieSAChef said:
I LOVE THE NEW DECORATOR BOTTLES SET!!!
Debbie

Debbie, so have you used them yet? I am sooooo glad to hear from someone else that loves them. I haven't mine yet... the others kind of scared me out of jumping in, but I will!

I would realy like to do a kids themed show, but I am not sure how to go about it or how to have the kids invovled in it... I think it would get pretty boring for them to sit and watch my demo. Does any one have any types of suggestions???

I'm doing a Kids in the Kitchen show for a friend (another friend who resisted holding a show... but when I mentioned a Kids cooking show, she was all over it! lol) and I'm planning to have them basically make their lunch! Using the Cut N Seal, Kids Cookie Making set, etc they can make sandwiches. I'll also use my kids' fave way for me to pack veggies, which is to use a ziploc sandwich bag for the veggies, then another bag (fold n close sandwich bags work good or you can use snack bags or ziploc sandwich bags) I place ranch dip into the corner of it, and secure with a small Twixit clip and drop it into the bag of veggies. The first time my kids saw this in their lunch they said I "tricked them" because they thought the dip was right on the veggies! lol

Anyway... I'm just going to get the kids to pack their lunch, and I'll use a flyer for the parents to see what tools I use in packing lunches on a daily basis. (Yes, I actually do use my PC tools to pack lunches every day!!! lol The kids love it!)

Ok ladies RUN out to your local bookstore and get "Good Things for Kids" booklet!!! It is a small booklet of the most amazing and fun looking recipes for kids! They look easy, and I can see using our tools. I'm excited!

63 fun and easy recipes the whole family will love.

Get them involved!!
mommyhugz1978 said:
I would realy like to do a kids themed show, but I am not sure how to go about it or how to have the kids invovled in it... I think it would get pretty boring for them to sit and watch my demo. Does any one have any types of suggestions???

Yes it would be boring if they saw you making all the food and using all the tools while they just sat and did nothing. That is why it is a good idea to get them involved. Have little stations set up and have them go from station to station trying out different tools. At the same time they can eat everything they help make. Moms will be amazed and probably order lots of stuff to keep their kids busy. I had one mom buy over $147 worth of stuff for her daughter. LOL I gotta find more moms like that.

Give small prizes to keep their attention, quiz them on different things including how much our products are, if they are dishwasher safe, what is the warranty, etc.... They will pay attention very closely and get into it.

Just some ideas
Debbie

DebbieSAChef said:
Yes it would be boring if they saw you making all the food and using all the tools while they just sat and did nothing. That is why it is a good idea to get them involved. Have little stations set up and have them go from station to station trying out different tools. At the same time they can eat everything they help make. Moms will be amazed and probably order lots of stuff to keep their kids busy. I had one mom buy over $147 worth of stuff for her daughter. LOL I gotta find more moms like that.

Give small prizes to keep their attention, quiz them on different things including how much our products are, if they are dishwasher safe, what is the warranty, etc.... They will pay attention very closely and get into it.

Just some ideas
Debbie

I Live in a very kid friendly neighborhood.. and I have a five year old little girl!!! I bought her the kids cook book from PC we have so much fun in the kitchen when her and I make something from it !!!! SO I love the ideas and suggestions .... thanks...

Yes, the kids are very involved. It's an interactive class, not a traditional show. They know they are coming to actually cook and eat what they make and take home just some of the tools they used that day. Nothing boring about it, they LOVE it!!!

soccermama said:
I'm doing a Kids in the Kitchen show for a friend (another friend who resisted holding a show... but when I mentioned a Kids cooking show, she was all over it! lol) and I'm planning to have them basically make their lunch! Using the Cut N Seal, Kids Cookie Making set, etc they can make sandwiches. I'll also use my kids' fave way for me to pack veggies, which is to use a ziploc sandwich bag for the veggies, then another bag (fold n close sandwich bags work good or you can use snack bags or ziploc sandwich bags) I place ranch dip into the corner of it, and secure with a small Twixit clip and drop it into the bag of veggies. The first time my kids saw this in their lunch they said I "tricked them" because they thought the dip was right on the veggies! lol

QUOTE]

What do they do with the bag of dip? do they bite the end off and squirt it all over them?

DebbieSAChef said:

Just some ideas
Debbie

Debbie, what kinds of prizes are you giving? I'm guessing Hershey kisses might do the trick. :)

What do they do with the bag of dip? do they bite the end off and squirt it all over them?

ROFL!!!!! Well, I found out on a field trip that yes, that's what my daughter does :rolleyes: But my son got the idea right away as I meant it. Take the clip off, open the bag and DIP :)

I Love the idea..... Now I have to decide when I am going to do this type of show!!!

soccermama said:
ROFL!!!!! Well, I found out on a field trip that yes, that's what my daughter does :rolleyes: But my son got the idea right away as I meant it. Take the clip off, open the bag and DIP :)

Hee hee... sounds fun to me. :) How are you keeping the dip cold, just ice pack?

its_me_susan said:
Hee hee... sounds fun to me. :) How are you keeping the dip cold, just ice pack?

Yes, I have an ice pack for the kids' lunch boxes. Anything that needs to stay cool stays in the zippered pocket with the ice pack.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
buddy5909
  • KayteTUrner
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
KayteTUrner
Replies
Views
DebPC