• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Deluxe Cheese Grater Solutions!!

In summary, the Deluxe Cheese Grater can be used to easier grate soft cheeses by microwaving it for 5-8 seconds.
Windy City Pampered Chef
Hi Girls -- and guys?

I have a great tip for the Deluxe Cheese grater ---

when using the large barrel for softer cheeses (mozza/cheddar), pop the cheese in the microwave until just softened at the edges (not melted). This brings the oils to the surface and it makes grating much much easier.. and clean up a BREEZE!!!

Any other ideas??

Finally satisfied Grater User!! :eek:

CheesesOK, I'm confused. I thought the cheese was s'posed to be really cold?

Not cold anymoreNope, not anymore. They now say and I tell all my customers, to put it in the micro for 5-8 seconds. I just take the amount of cheese I would normally put in the hopper at once, on a plate, nuke for 6 seconds, and now that the oils in the cheese have been released the cheese just slides right through. Of course still remember, the softer the cheese, the softer the squeeze! ;)

I too, recently learned of placing the cheese in the microwave for @ 10 seconds before grating. By breaking down the fats in the cheese, it makes it a lot easier to grate and doesn't clump up inside the drum.
As for COLD cheese: Cheese is at its best flavor when it is not cold, but when it's been out of the fridge for 20 minutes or so.

I've just tried putting the cheese into the microwave before grating when I was doing our meal at home tonight - and it really works! I did a show last week where the cheese just clogged right inside the drum and I didn't sell a single one. Will try this again at home before I go "live" at a show.

Cheese StoryYou also need to tell them the cheese story to go with the cheese grater. I'm sure most everyone knows this, but I'll do it just in case. This is my story during the show (true facts).

I first start by showing the cheese grater and how it works for left and right handed people. I talk about how 2 of my kids are lefty and it is nice that they can easily switch it around to grate cheese. I also talk about how you can grate other things like carrots for salad, chocolate (right into your mouth if you are having a bad day), nuts, etc.

All of you know that cheese clumps when you grate it. I have a trick to eliminate this problem....microwave the cheese for 10 seconds BEFORE you grate it.

Now I've just told you that cheese clumps, but do you know why your pregrated cheese does NOT clump in the bag? It has an extra ingredient. Do you know what it is? Cellulose...no not the stuff on the back of your thighs. (Take some guesses) It is sawdust. So as you are dumping out the last little bit of cheese from the bag, you are probably dumping out the cellulose.

Also...do you know where the grated cheese comes from? Well when block cheese goes back at the store, you assume they throw it away. No...they send it back to the manufacturer to get a store credit. Now you would assume that the manufacturer would throw it away. NO....they cut off the bad part and grate it up for grated cheese. Now I don't have a problem with ME doing that at home, but I happen to think that when I buy it at the store it should be FRESH! That is one reason your grated cheese goes bad so quickly once it is opened.

It is cheaper to buy block cheese and fresher. It is easy to grate if you just microwave it for 10 seconds before you grate it. If you want to grate it ahead of time and freeze it, you can.

This is a product you MUST have in your kitchen. You will find it on the first column of your shopping guide under the Cutting Edge section. You'll also want to get the Grate Container so you can measure out exact amounts and store extra cheese in your fridge. You'll find it right under the Cheese Grater and it is only $4.25.

cheese graterI had the opposite problem. I started grating cheese by putting it in the microwave for 10 seconds. But when I did that it would clump up big time. So I stopped microwaving it. Now it works fine just by taking the cheese out of the fridge and grating it without microwaving it first. Weird huh. I guess it just adjusted on its own. Also at my last show I demonstrated the cheese grate by putting some choc. chips in it and grating some chocolate. All the guests were really impressed. It was a nice change of pace. :)

That's Really Gross Ginger!I am so glad I know that. I had honestly NEVER heard that before and I grew up and live in "The Dairy State!" I knew about Cellulous but really did not know what it was.
If I wanted to do that I would have simply take my rotten cheese to the wood shed and run it through my planer!
EW!
I will certainly be passing that story on to my customers and I need to change my shopping list for my recipe this weekend to include a block of cheddar instead of already grated cheddar!
Now I feel like a beaver because of all the pregrated cheese I used to use!
NOT ANY MORE!!!
Thanks for the info!

cellulose...I had a long-winded message typed out, but my computer screen froze and it got lost somewhere in cyber-neverland. The gist of it was (in the following summarized points):

1) I thought cellulose was the generic term for the spongy material that was between the inner and outer layer of a plant stalk. Not necessarily only a tree. Therefore, I don't think "all cellulose is trees" but "all trees contain cellulose." I do know that the cellulose in trees is one of the things used to make paper. Plant cellulose (in its basic form) is made up of sugars and carbs.

Also, there are bacteria that produce cellulose. I think that's the kind of cellulose in cheese. Sort of like an active yeast or the bacteria in yogurt. Anybody know? Someone else may know the answer to this: isn't the "juicy" part of a celery stalk the cellulose?

2) To tell people not to buy shredded cheese because of cellulose is a bad thing because then you'd have to tell them not to buy bread, high-fiber cereal, dog food, medicine in pill/tablet forms, etc.

3) Many things are made of cellulose, it merely depends on the desired outcome. Different plant celluloses have different uses. Generally, cellulose in food and medicine is used as a stabalizer. In addition to the above mentioned edible examples in point 3, some non-edible examples of cellulose use are: cotton, film (think "celluloid"), rayon/viscose (cellulose is also used to bulken up, hence the word "viscosity"), paints, cigarette rolling paper, twine, anti-chipping layers on windshields/helmet visors, etc.

4) There are other food stabilizers/starches (carrageenen, guar gum, gelatine) used in Pampered Chef recipe ingredients. All of them, when you think about it, come from rather disgusting sources. Pampered Chef reps shouldn't scare people into not buying things because of them. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to have a PC ice-cream social (seaweed in ice-cream, pig byproducts in syrupy toppings). Also, many ingredients prevalant in PC recipes have me more worried than cellulose. Non dairy whipped topping...well, if it isn't dairy, then what is it? Cream cheese...how can you possibly trust a soft spreadable cheese that has a shelf life of several months but doesn't need to be refrigerated? Yes, I know in the USA you will find it in the cold foods section, but in other countries it's pretty much optional (wherever the store manager decides to place it).

I think that was about it. If I remember anything else from the original post, I'll add it...

Oh, just remembered something. Cellulose is also found in fine-powdered spice mixes especially "clumpy" ones like paprika and chili powder.

Last edited by a moderator:
moldy cheeseIn response to the same post by Ginger, but a different subject...

>>...you would assume that the manufacturer would throw it away.<<
>>...they cut off the bad part and grate it up for grated cheese.<<

Aren't there laws in the US to prevent reprocessing spoiled food?

>>That is one reason your grated cheese goes bad so quickly once it is opened.<<

Shredded cheese can go bad quickly because of many reasons, most commonly moisture, temperature and exposure to air. The bagged kind is usually gas flushed and vacuum sealed to prolong shelf life. Once you open shredded cheese it has been exposed to air and no matter how hard you try, you cannot get all the air out again. The amount of surface area exposed to air in shredded cheese is WAY higher than in a hunk of cheese.
It was also mentioned (in this or another thread on cheese) about freezing. If you grate and freeze fresh cheese, once you take it out of the freezer, make sure to use it with 3 days. The temperature change and moisture will breed bacteria.

Rule of thumb for freshness: The harder the cheese, the longer it lasts. Cheddar will not last as long as Parmesan. Soft cheeses, such as Mozzarella, are usually uncured and don't last long at all. Bagged, they generally have added preservatives so they will last longer than the average (ca. 2-3 weeks hunked v. several months bagged).

Cheese StoryI used that story over the weekend, not word for word, but sold several cheese graters. It doesn't mean using shredded cheese is bad, but the block cheese IS more fresh.
If they return it to the manufacturer and it is reused, I can see that happening. It is like bread: alot of people will remove the piece with a little bit of mold on it and any other piece that touches it and then still use what is left, if they can. In reality the spores from the mold can go 3-5 slices deeper than where the mold is. Technically that means the majority of us have eaten "moldy" bread at some point. As far as the cheese story, I don't think it is scaring them into something, just informing them. We still use grated cheese when in a rush(tonight is a perfect example) but I do find myself trying to only get the block cheese now because I never knew a cheese grater could be so easy.

Oh, this is my first super starter month! That is why I knew nothing about the cheese grater!.

I used my grater for the 1st time yesterday, and heating the cheese worked very well! Of course, I haven't tried it cold. My biggest question is what do I use to get inside to barrel to dig out any cheese that doesn't fall out?

Thanks!
Paula

I just tap it on the side of the bowl and it comes out. Only time I have trouble is if I forget to microwave it....then I have a mess!

Mine didn't come clean so easily - there was quite a bit at the closed end of the barrel. First time through the dishwasher left some still in there. I nuked 10 seconds - maybe the microwave at work needed a bit longer?

What I find works well, is keeping the stainless steel drums of the grater in the freezer! When cold, they grate through cheeses and chocolate, etc. easily with no clumping. Much easier to clean too!

Clarification on Bacteria and CelluloseFYI, Bacteria break down cellulose, but do not create it. They are the culprite for all of the gas production in your body when you eat too many beans. Beans are high in cellulose, aka, fiber.

I'm confusedIn reading all the info on cellulose and cheese I'm a little confused. It probably doesn't help that I'm not very science minded. :confused: So is the cellulose bad for the cheese? Or is it really not a big deal? I know I like block cheese better anyway but what do I tell other people about shredded cheese? I guess what I'm asking is how can I tell the cheese story but be accurate in my depiction of shredded cheese? (I would love to sell more cheese graters :p ) Confused,
Janel

Cellulose is not bad for you or the cheese. It is just an additive to keep the cheese from clumping.

I Did, I DidI tried the 10 second rule on Saturday fro the Ham & Egg Breafast Braid and my gosh, it actually worked!!! THANK YOU!!!!
Sold three Cheese Graters and got people who had them using them again!!!

Thank you!!! I was ready to throw out my cheese grater because I was tired of being embarassed at my parties. I had told my director about it but she said she has never had trouble confused: I decided to try it tonight one last time and put the cheese in the micro. Shazam!!!! Like magic. It worked the best it ever has. Thanks again. :D

Glad it is working for everyone. I love my cheese grater only because someone told me the microwave tip a year ago. It is the BEST!

A note about Packaged Shredded Cheese....The main reason to tell people not to use pre-shredded cheese is that the cellulose affects how cheese melts...for dishes that you are wanting a nice, melted cheese, it will tend to clump and seperate...not a pretty thing.

Fresh grated cheese is how the recipes were designed, and with using the true ingredient, you will achieve a better result!

great tip
NicoleLL said:
The main reason to tell people not to use pre-shredded cheese is that the cellulose affects how cheese melts...for dishes that you are wanting a nice, melted cheese, it will tend to clump and seperate...not a pretty thing.

Fresh grated cheese is how the recipes were designed, and with using the true ingredient, you will achieve a better result!

Thanks for this tip! I do tell people about the cellulose but it will be great to give it a more positive twist!

Microwaving cheeseI'm curious, are you all microwaving ALL different types of cheeses for the grater or just the chedders and mozzarellas or what? I didnt realize you could micro Parmesan. I heard it had to be really cold to grate easier. Next time I grate cheese I will try it though.

Debbie

Deluxe cheese graterI see what you mean by all your facts on cellulose, but do a taste test. Taste pregrated cheese then the cheese you just grated yourself. BIG difference. Cellulose may be okay, but it takes away all the wonderful flavor of the cheese.

Debbie...I do microwave every kind of cheese...makes it SO EASY to grate.

>>The main reason to tell people not to use pre-shredded cheese is that the cellulose affects how cheese melts...<<

You also want to do that to keep the cheese from "crystallizing"

The microwaving tip backfired on me. I tried that at my very first show last weekend making the ham & eggs brunch braid. I was really nervous being my first show, then I felt smart when I told them about microwaving. When I did that, the cheese clumped so much they all looked at me funny and I didn't sell one. I had to dig out the cheese from the grater and put onto my eggs. After that the host told me the cheese had already been sitting out for about an hour. Maybe if I actually microwave cold cheese it will work?

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I've never had that problem. Maybe she had an extra strong microwave and the cheese was really warm?? Try it again at home...I promise it does work!

Yes it does work. I had the same problem with my cheese grater and I had vowed not to ever use it or show it again.Then I saw the post about microwaving it for 10 seconds. I couldn't believe how well it worked. Now I show it and have sold several. I only have done this with cheddar cheese though.
Blessings,
Laura

Debunny said:
I'm curious, are you all microwaving ALL different types of cheeses for the grater or just the chedders and mozzarellas or what? I didnt realize you could micro Parmesan. I heard it had to be really cold to grate easier. Next time I grate cheese I will try it though.

Debbie
Parmesan cheese works wonderful with the fine barrel, without any microwaving.
I feel horrible though, I told a friend who was trying to decide between the cheese grater and the food chopper. She said she mainly wanted the cheese grater for cheddar cheese. I told her I far prefer the food chopper, I use the cheese grater for chocolate, parmesan cheese, and nuts. But the food chopper I use all the time! She changed her order and got the food chopper. I KNOW she'll be happy with it, but I feel bad that I talked badly about the cheese grater clumping in the barrel for cheddar. If I had known about this microwave thing... Thanks guys! Now I know, and I can share this with future customers, and even my friend, maybe she still wants the cheese grater.
This website is like a national cluster meeting, anytime! SOOO valuable!

I just had to chime in, after all! I've tried to be quiet about it, but I LOVE my cheese grater! I always have my cheese cold, and I always rinse it out in cold water before putting it in the dishwasher. The only thing I've ever had trouble with is chocolate chips wanting to clump and stick in the "loader" portion--before it goes thru the grater...

Break the cheese that you're using in half!I was told to microwave the cheese and it would work better. Well, I did what I was told and I have been making the Chicken & broccoli braid and it calls for 4 ozs of cheddar cheese. I would put all 4 ozs into a prep bowl and micro it for 10 seconds. Well, it would still clump in the barrell so at a cluster mtg, I told my director and she told me to break the 4 ozs in half and since then, I haven't had any problems! :)

cookingwithlove said:
FYI, Bacteria break down cellulose, but do not create it. They are the culprite for all of the gas production in your body when you eat too many beans. Beans are high in cellulose, aka, fiber.

okay, I'm a little late in replying, but here's a quote I got from a UPI story in the Washington Times. Please note, the cellulose mentioned is NOT in response to the cheese-related part of this thread. It is only to the quote cited above.

Klemm and his team are molding bacterial cellulose into hollow fibers for use in artificial blood vessels. Instead of raising cellulose-generating bacteria on dishes, the scientists take glass tubes, put one inside the other, and cultivate bacteria between the glass layers. The microbes then grow cellulose into hollow fibers with pre-specified inner diameters -- typically 100 millimeters to 1 centimeter wide -- and walls about a half-millimeter thick.

I was always told the last ingredient in shredded cheese was formaldehide.sp :rolleyes: :confused: That just keeps the cheese from clumping. I know I don't buy already grated cheese anymore!!

I'm soooo confusedI had always been told that the pre-shredded cheese was covered with a light wax coating to keep it from clumping in the bag.

Maybe I just need to go and do some hard core research to find the answers.

Here's what I heard at a Kitchen Show Live at conference, and it's what I've been saying at my shows all along...

Cellulose is a wood derivitive, used in pre-grated cheese to prevent clumping. However, cellulose also hurries the molding process of the cheese, and therefore they add more additives and preservatives to prevent the molding. So, now I buy the cheese by the block, because I want to serve my family just cheese!

Also, side note...
I always tell my guests that when they buy cheese, that they need to take it out of the plastic. Instead, wrap it in aluminum foil. It will last in your refridgerator for SEVERAL WEEKS! (pre-grated cheese is only good for 3-5 days)

Rebecca Bilyeu
Future Director
www.pamperedchef.biz/chefbilyeu

Egg yolks in the chees graterHi, I'm new and excited about this web site, thanks to Becky and Mary. Here's a tip, before you mix up your egg yokes for deviled eggs, grate the cooked yokes and that will help remove all those clumps in the yokes. It also makes the mixed yokes go through the EAD smoother. :rolleyes:

Great tip, Chris! I will definitely try it! ;)

Mary H.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered1224
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
WendyAebi
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Pampered Chef Recipes