• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Recipes for a Lactose Intolerant Host

In summary, people with lactose intolerance can eat regular cheese and milk products just fine, as well as yogurt and frozen yogurt.
adauw
I have a host who is lactose intolerant...she said I did not have to cater to her deficiency but I would prefer to...anyone have any good demo recipe ideas for this?? Thank you!!

Anything non-dairy! :) I wouldn't do the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder...:p

The Incredible 30 Minute Chicken, or the BBQ Chicken Sandwiches in the DCB would be good.

The Steamed Wonton Purses is a great recipe!

Fajitas in the DCB - she would just choose not to put cheese on hers! In fact, she might like ideas like that - where it would work for her, but also for the lactose lovers in her family!:thumbup:

Thank you so much Becky! I am definitely going to do the fajitas...that's a great idea! Only one more problem, she is wanting to do a dessert too, and everything I can think of has some type of dairy in it or uses the microwave. I would probably want to do something in the oven or bake free if possible that way I am not spending time waiting for the fajitas to come out of the microwave. Any suggestions?? Again thank you so much! *sidenote: I am so lucky I am not lactose intolerant

I am thinking Cool-Whip might be non-dairy. I am sure someone can calrify...
But, maybe a dessert with cool-whip as the base?

Nothing with cream cheese - that's for sure! And that takes out a lot of recipes!

Someone on here posted a cobbler in the DCB using some sort of soda instead of butter. Pie Filling/Cake Mix/Soda. That might qualify as lactose-free... I do mine in the oven all the time instead of the microwave - of course, that's the version using butter...

Edit:
Maybe someone who knows more about lactose can verify if these are good lactose-free desserts:

Taffy Apple Tartlets
Maybe a Trifle - using lactose-free milk for the pudding?

Last edited:
Taffy apple tartlets are lactose free.Butter does not contain lactose. Lactose is found in milk based products- butter is fine!I am lactose intolerant, so is my DH, and it's really not that big of a deal. We drink lactose free milk and eat regular cheese and ice cream :). People have lactose intolerance of different degrees, and sometimes it bothers me more than other times, but they make a lactaid pill that you can take before you eat ice cream or something with lactose in it... it's a very easily managed intolerance. GL!

kdangel518 said:
Taffy apple tartlets are lactose free.

Butter does not contain lactose. Lactose is found in milk based products- butter is fine!

I am lactose intolerant, so is my DH, and it's really not that big of a deal. We drink lactose free milk and eat regular cheese and ice cream :). People have lactose intolerance of different degrees, and sometimes it bothers me more than other times, but they make a lactaid pill that you can take before you eat ice cream or something with lactose in it... it's a very easily managed intolerance. GL!

Good to know about the butter!! My mom is lactose-intolerant (?) but the food she tells me she can't eat doesn't always make sense with the lactose thing. So I wasn't sure.

kam said:
Good to know about the butter!! My mom is lactose-intolerant (?) but the food she tells me she can't eat doesn't always make sense with the lactose thing. So I wasn't sure.

No problem! Technically there is lactose in some deli meats and some other random things you wouldn't expect it in, but unless you are EXTREMELY HIGHLY sensitive you would never feel the effects.

I have been dealing with lactose intolerance for 6 years now and it is really NOT a big deal for me personally. We keep lactaid pills (and Gas-X, sorry TMI!) around at all times just in case, limit our intake of "creamy" foods and drink lactose free milk. That helps keep our symptoms and side effects down to a minimum :p

kdangel518 said:
Taffy apple tartlets are lactose free.

Butter does not contain lactose. Lactose is found in milk based products- butter is fine!

I am lactose intolerant, so is my DH, and it's really not that big of a deal. We drink lactose free milk and eat regular cheese and ice cream :). People have lactose intolerance of different degrees, and sometimes it bothers me more than other times, but they make a lactaid pill that you can take before you eat ice cream or something with lactose in it... it's a very easily managed intolerance. GL!

Hmmm, last I checked, butter was a milk-based product!;)

I do know, however, that most people who are lactose intolerant can eat yogurt just fine - because the process used to make yogurt breaks down the lactose. My DH is lactose intolerant, and regular cheese, milk, ice cream really can do a number on him, but he can eat yogurt, yogurt cheese, and frozen yogurt w/o any ill effects.

ChefBeckyD said:
Hmmm, last I checked, butter was a milk-based product!;)

I do know, however, that most people who are lactose intolerant can eat yogurt just fine - because the process used to make yogurt breaks down the lactose. My DH is lactose intolerant, and regular cheese, milk, ice cream really can do a number on him, but he can eat yogurt, yogurt cheese, and frozen yogurt w/o any ill effects.

YES! My mom can eat yogurt. I gave her the recipe for Red, White & Blueberry Trifle - the pudding mix is combined with the yogurt (not milk) to make the pudding.

um... yeah- butter is milk-based, so it does have lactose. Margarine, which many people refer to as butter, is oil-based, so it does not have lactose.My husband is lactose-intolerant, and butter is fine. It's used in such small amounts that it doesn't affect him. Even when a recipe uses a stick, that's usually for several servings. If you have a concern about butter, check with your host (but she probably uses margarine, since that's what most people use anyway).The Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte is a "safe" dessert for lactose-intolerant, but it's not safe if anyone has a peanut allergy.

Thank you so much for so many great ideas...I had never realized how many recipes called for 'lactose' before now! I was definitely taking things for granted!

Going off the show part of this and into the Lactose part........my 9 yr. old has never had issues with drinking milk, eatting dairy or anything until just recently and it's AWFUL. She could clear a room with the odors :yuck::cry::eek::cry::yuck: and I feel terrible for her. She tries to just laugh it off, but she's got so many other issues and "differences" that I feel bad for her.

Doctor told us take away dairy for 4-5 days and see if there was improvement which there was, still had some things, but nothing like before.
Technically there is lactose in some deli meats and some other random things you wouldn't expect it in
But I have also switched to a lunch meat I can get at Sam's and am now after reading this wondering if it's got lactose, that I didn't know about, would it say somewhere on label??

Well we put her back on dairy and symptoms are back!! I've called doctor and am waiting for him to tell us what he wants me to do or what he suggests.

This is a child who LOVES everything dairy, from milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, everything and she was crying other night. "Mom why do all these things happen to me, my kidney's don't work right, I've got spots (vitiligo), I can't do some sports because of my kidneys and I'm just NOT coordinated (thanks MOM!!) and now I can't eat cheese and other things I Love, why??" I just hugged her and said I didn't know why, other than God thought she was a pretty strong person and knew we'd figure something out to make her happy. She was ok after that, and we snuggled and read for awhile.

Any suggestions??

Lisa

Lisa/ChefBear said:
Going off the show part of this and into the Lactose part........my 9 yr. old has never had issues with drinking milk, eatting dairy or anything until just recently and it's AWFUL. She could clear a room with the odors :yuck::cry::eek::cry::yuck: and I feel terrible for her. She tries to just laugh it off, but she's got so many other issues and "differences" that I feel bad for her.

Doctor told us take away dairy for 4-5 days and see if there was improvement which there was, still had some things, but nothing like before.
But I have also switched to a lunch meat I can get at Sam's and am now after reading this wondering if it's got lactose, that I didn't know about, would it say somewhere on label??

Well we put her back on dairy and symptoms are back!! I've called doctor and am waiting for him to tell us what he wants me to do or what he suggests.

This is a child who LOVES everything dairy, from milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, everything and she was crying other night. "Mom why do all these things happen to me, my kidney's don't work right, I've got spots (vitiligo), I can't do some sports because of my kidneys and I'm just NOT coordinated (thanks MOM!!) and now I can't eat cheese and other things I Love, why??" I just hugged her and said I didn't know why, other than God thought she was a pretty strong person and knew we'd figure something out to make her happy. She was ok after that, and we snuggled and read for awhile.

Any suggestions??

Lisa

Many people who are lactose intolerant can handle Goats Milk, and Goats Milk products. They are more expensive, but an option.

I do buy some Goats Milk cheese - it tends to be a bit stronger in flavor than Cow cheese, though.

I know what you mean about what Dairy does to your daughter - same thing happens to DH - plus, I can hear his stomach protesting from the next room, it's so loud! This happens if he has a bowl of regular ice cream, or a dish with too much cheese or milk as an ingredient.

As I posted before, Yogurt products are generally okay for people who are L/I. The natural process used to create yogurt breaks down the lactose.

I use yogurt quite often in place of sour cream and cream cheese in recipes - to make a yogurt cheese (similar in taste and texture to cream cheese) take a colander/strainer (our new mesh colanders are GREAT for this!) and line it with cheese cloth or a large coffee filter - put it inside another bowl. Pour in a container of plain yogurt, and let it sit for 12-24 hours and drain. This drains off all the whey from the yogurt. The longer you let it sit, the stiffer it will get.

We also mostly just eat frozen yogurt here in place of ice cream. Schwans has the best frozen yogurt, and the most flavors (a whole page of them!). The price is comparable to the premium brands in the grocery store...so not outrageous.

Lisa/ChefBear said:
Going off the show part of this and into the Lactose part........my 9 yr. old has never had issues with drinking milk, eatting dairy or anything until just recently and it's AWFUL. She could clear a room with the odors :yuck::cry::eek::cry::yuck: and I feel terrible for her. She tries to just laugh it off, but she's got so many other issues and "differences" that I feel bad for her.Doctor told us take away dairy for 4-5 days and see if there was improvement which there was, still had some things, but nothing like before.
But I have also switched to a lunch meat I can get at Sam's and am now after reading this wondering if it's got lactose, that I didn't know about, would it say somewhere on label??Well we put her back on dairy and symptoms are back!! I've called doctor and am waiting for him to tell us what he wants me to do or what he suggests.This is a child who LOVES everything dairy, from milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, everything and she was crying other night. "Mom why do all these things happen to me, my kidney's don't work right, I've got spots (vitiligo), I can't do some sports because of my kidneys and I'm just NOT coordinated (thanks MOM!!) and now I can't eat cheese and other things I Love, why??" I just hugged her and said I didn't know why, other than God thought she was a pretty strong person and knew we'd figure something out to make her happy. She was ok after that, and we snuggled and read for awhile.Any suggestions??Lisa
Oh Lisa, I feel your pain! My almost 5 year old DS is allergic to peanuts, eggs, peas (that one doesn't bother us too much!), dust, & mold, plus he has Asthma... so he has a lot of issues and we go see the doctor a lot. Plus he is all boy and pushes it to the limit all the time... how do you tell a little boy not to run so much? Anyway, he hasn't gotten to the point yet that it bothers him as far as realizing this is going to limit him and be a PITA the rest of his life, but I know it's coming. I hope that you can find some great alternatives for your daughters lactose issues. I myself am lactose intolerant but not severely. I don't drink straight milk or even eat it in cereal. I do eat cheese and ice cream (because I love it!!!) but I usually pay the price later. I never knew all of the info about yogurt before, thanks ChefBeckyD! So, I'll keep that in mind when buying ice cream, I'll stick to frozen yogurt instead. And I think I'm going to try the yogurt strained for Cream Cheese thing too... Anyway, hugs to you and your daughter, I know it's just as hard on you to have your daughter go through all of this as it is for her. It breaks my heart on a daily basis to see what my son goes through, and I just hate having to drug him up so much!

ChefPaulaB said:
Oh Lisa, I feel your pain! My almost 5 year old DS is allergic to peanuts, eggs, peas (that one doesn't bother us too much!), dust, & mold, plus he has Asthma... so he has a lot of issues and we go see the doctor a lot. Plus he is all boy and pushes it to the limit all the time... how do you tell a little boy not to run so much? Anyway, he hasn't gotten to the point yet that it bothers him as far as realizing this is going to limit him and be a PITA the rest of his life, but I know it's coming. I hope that you can find some great alternatives for your daughters lactose issues. I myself am lactose intolerant but not severely. I don't drink straight milk or even eat it in cereal. I do eat cheese and ice cream (because I love it!!!) but I usually pay the price later. I never knew all of the info about yogurt before, thanks ChefBeckyD! So, I'll keep that in mind when buying ice cream, I'll stick to frozen yogurt instead. And I think I'm going to try the yogurt strained for Cream Cheese thing too... Anyway, hugs to you and your daughter, I know it's just as hard on you to have your daughter go through all of this as it is for her. It breaks my heart on a daily basis to see what my son goes through, and I just hate having to drug him up so much!

You're welcome. Glad that me being a food nerd can help someone else! :eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
You're welcome. Glad that me being a food nerd can help someone else! :eek:

We always love and appreciate your food nerdness (or food snobness as I once heard you say you're a food snob). Always lots of helpful and interesting ideas and tips! ;)

If you're looking for an aid for lactose intolerance, DH has had good luck with Digestive Advantage lactose intolerance tablets. They have live cultures that help break down the lactose. He got zero results from taking Lactaid tablets, but these seem to work. I've found them at Meijer, Target and Wally World, usually with other digestive items (antacids, etc.).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G7QGCM/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Lisa/ChefBear said:

Any suggestions??

Lisa

Lisa- Did your Dr. give you a list of ingredients to watch out for? Whey is a form of lactose or is lactose based, and is often found in lunchmeats. It may not be enough to bother your DD, but you should check the labels and test it out anyway. I would just do some quick research online, I'm sure there's plenty of info out there. GL and ((HUGS)) to your DD!

Nothing from doctor, his nurse is supposed to call today, as we've just reported the results of re-introducing the dairy.

Molly will be thrilled that she can eat yogurt though, she used to have some before bed, and we made her stop that, so I'll let her have some tonight.

If you're looking for an aid for lactose intolerance, DH has had good luck with Digestive Advantage lactose intolerance tablets. They have live cultures that help break down the lactose. He got zero results from taking Lactaid tablets, but these seem to work. I've found them at Meijer, Target and Wally World, usually with other digestive items (antacids, etc.).
http://www.amazon.com/Digestive-Adva...6835500&sr=8-1

Thanks for this info., I'll be checking that.

Lisa

chefann said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G7QGCM/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Hmmm, I have to go Wally World today, this is going on my list, that would be awesome to just take once a day and forget about it!

It does state on the label that some people may need to take 2. And I do know that if DH and I goof up and have a lactose-heavy day (bagel and cream cheese, cheese on sandwiches, ice cream, cheese and cracker snack all in one day), then he does experience some discomfort, but not nearly as bad as even 1 serving without the pill. He has also indicated that some milk early in the day, before the tablet has kicked in completely, will cause gas - but of the "fun" type (noisy, no odor, no pain).

1. What types of recipes are included in the "Delicious Recipes for a Lactose Intolerant Host" collection?

The collection includes a variety of recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even desserts. These recipes are all dairy-free and perfect for those who are lactose intolerant or have dairy allergies.

2. Are the ingredients for these recipes easy to find?

Yes, the ingredients for these recipes are easy to find and can be found at most grocery stores. We also provide alternative options for any hard-to-find ingredients.

3. Can these recipes be modified for other dietary restrictions?

Yes, many of these recipes can be easily modified for other dietary restrictions such as gluten-free or vegan. We provide tips and substitutions for these modifications.

4. Do these recipes still taste delicious without dairy?

Absolutely! Our team has worked hard to ensure that these recipes are not only dairy-free but also flavorful and delicious. Many of our customers with no dietary restrictions love these recipes as well.

5. Are there any kid-friendly recipes in this collection?

Yes, we understand that children can also have lactose intolerance or dairy allergies. That's why we have included some kid-friendly recipes in this collection that are both delicious and easy to make.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jess_K