• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Decreasing Opens: Observations from My Newsletter | October Update

In summary, the newsletter has been getting less open responses, and the author is considering changing the subject line to try and grab people's attention.
amy07
So, I'm still new to this newsletter thing. But I have noticed that the number of opens has been decreasing each month. And so far for October, not one person has done a "click". I'm not totally discouraged since I did receive an online order that I know was the result of the newsletter.
But it does make me curious if people are just skipping over the email.........what kind of responses are you guys getting lately? Any changes in "interest" like mine?

I can't help as I have yet to send out a newsletter - but how are you able to keep track of how many open, etc?

I use icontact

Do you usually send the newsletter on the same day of the week? I was listening to an audio (can't remember if it's a CD or an MP3), and the speaker said the best day to send an email is Tuesday. The reasoning was that on Monday, everyone's email is bogged down from everything they've received over the weekend, and they're more likely to delete something that isn't of upmost importance to them. Might be worth a try to see if that makes a difference.

Change the subject line every couple of months, too. I used to always use "Ann's Kitchen Connection" with the month, and my open percentage started slipping. Now I change it up, and put things about upcoming specials or new products. It makes the newsletter more interesting and people want to open it to see the info that's hinted at in the subject line.I will also put a newsletter-only special in there once in a while. The only way to get the special is to open the newsletter and then call me. When people know to look for it, they'll at least open the message and scan it for the special.

Thanks for tip Ann! I did change the subject this month for that reason. Maybe I'm just not coming up with a catchy enough subject line. I'm thinking that I'll skip a mid-month newsletter this month - maybe they are just getting too much from me recently?

i just started with my newsletter from tasty tidbits and i'm not sure if i'll be sending the mid month one and here is why. i'm on the mailing list for a tupperware conslutant and i have noticed the more she fills my inbox with newsletters, the more i don't care. so i will be trying to keep ppl informed, but not sending too much info. does that make sense?

I have to chime in here -- many of you know that I have said from the beginning that you should be very cautious if you want to send all 3 of my newsletters each month. I make them available to my subscribers as choices, but I do not advocate blanket sending of 3 newsletters each month. You definitely could and probably WILL annoy a certain percentage of your customers; and the last thing I would want for you is to have people unsubscribe due to frequency.

Perhaps you could make the question part of your full-service checkout process: "I have several newsletters available to you each month -- how often do you prefer to hear from me? Just once? Okay, do you want a large fully-packed newsletter with recipes and pictures, or do you prefer a short one with just a couple quick articles? Or how about the outlet sales each month?"

Then start to segment your lists and create a separate mailing list for each group. This is where a mailing service like iContact comes in handy!

PampChefJoy said:
I have to chime in here -- many of you know that I have said from the beginning that you should be very cautious if you want to send all 3 of my newsletters each month. I make them available to my subscribers as choices, but I do not advocate blanket sending of 3 newsletters each month. You definitely could and probably WILL annoy a certain percentage of your customers; and the last thing I would want for you is to have people unsubscribe due to frequency.

Perhaps you could make the question part of your full-service checkout process: "I have several newsletters available to you each month -- how often do you prefer to hear from me? Just once? Okay, do you want a large fully-packed newsletter with recipes and pictures, or do you prefer a short one with just a couple quick articles? Or how about the outlet sales each month?"

Then start to segment your lists and create a separate mailing list for each group. This is where a mailing service like iContact comes in handy!

I was just thinking this the other day, maybe 3 times a month is a bit much...:)

I just send out my newsletter once a month if not by the 1st then by the 3rd. I do put some sort of subject along the lines of PC newletter or the month or something. I do now place it as an attachment since I can't send it out as a body of an email. (it's a microsoft thing) Anyway, I only send out 1 and if something really can't be passed up then I send out a mid-month. I know after 4 years of sending out a newsletter my regulars do read it. I got 3 bookings last month for the first time because I actually put in open dates and those "On the Fence Hosts" actually emailed back and booked a date.

I have learned to not keep track since it is discouraging to see the unopens and do not contacts but that is part of the business. I keep everyone that has requested an email newsletter on the list until the email address no longer works and I get no response with a follow-up or if they request not to hear from me again. We can't take it personal (yes, easy to say and hard to do) but we can hang in there and see where it takes us.

I use Tasty Tidbits and always send it out on the first of the month. Last month and this month I sent out the outlet "bargain picks" email as well about a week later and I got a few orders last month and 6 outside orders this month (almost $200 in sales for October alone) just from the emails.

One lady I ran into on Friday and she thanked me for sending the emails and not forgetting about her. She said she had some things she needed to order and it reminded her to do it...

I have also had some more requests to remove from the list, but I think that the people who do get it are liking it and I appreciate getting the extra sales without doing anything!

I did put in open dates this month and haven't had any takers - but wouldn't it be great if I do someday?!

I've heard that if you put a percentage off sale number in your subject line, more people are likely to open it. When I send out a newsletter JUST about the outlet stuff, I've put something like "75% off some oldies, but goodies!" Or if it's a particularly good host special, I might lead with that in the subject line.

Great idea, Becky. Thank you!

I subscribed to Tasty Tidbits for 6 months and didn't do anything with the editions as I just can't seem to work out how to use it....My email is Thunderbird...and I think I'm just not tech-no savvy enough to figure it out. And, of course, home office tech support isn't interested in helping in any substantial way.....any suggestions? Alice...Birmingham, AL

I have been sending newsletters for just over 3 years...while I haven't used a service to see about the interest levels, opens, clicks, etc. I know that people do actually look at some. I have had two people in the last year contact me and sign as consultants. Both were hosts over 2 years ago that I had not heard from or gotten ahold of during that time. They just kept getting my newsletter and saw my name every month...so regardless of the response, or lack thereof, don't stop sending them...just my two cents. :)

Alice Harper said:
I subscribed to Tasty Tidbits for 6 months and didn't do anything with the editions as I just can't seem to work out how to use it....My email is Thunderbird...and I think I'm just not tech-no savvy enough to figure it out. And, of course, home office tech support isn't interested in helping in any substantial way.....any suggestions? Alice...Birmingham, AL

Alice, I don't think I ever got an email from you... I'm sorry -- I didn't realize you were having trouble. What was the problem? Were you trying to edit? Were you unable to forward? None of the newsletter services are official vendors so I don't think Home Office will help much, and they really don't have any info on each of our individual delivery methods anyway. I'd love to be official but the licensing fee is exorbitant.

Anyway, I would love to help if you could let me know what you were exactly having trouble with...

Related to Decreasing Opens: Observations from My Newsletter | October Update

What exactly is "Hmmmm, Interesting" and how does it relate to Pampered Chef?

"Hmmmm, Interesting" is a phrase that we use at Pampered Chef to describe the unique and innovative products we offer. It represents our commitment to providing high-quality and useful kitchen tools that make cooking and entertaining easier and more enjoyable.

Is "Hmmmm, Interesting" just a catchy slogan or does it have a deeper meaning?

While "Hmmmm, Interesting" may seem like a fun and catchy slogan, it actually has a deeper meaning. It reflects our company's dedication to constantly creating and offering new and innovative products that make our customers' lives in the kitchen easier and more enjoyable.

What makes Pampered Chef's products different from other kitchen tools on the market?

At Pampered Chef, we pride ourselves on our unique and innovative products that are designed with our customers' needs in mind. Our products are rigorously tested to ensure they are of the highest quality and are backed by our satisfaction guarantee.

Can I purchase "Hmmmm, Interesting" products anywhere other than from a Pampered Chef consultant?

No, "Hmmmm, Interesting" products are exclusive to Pampered Chef and can only be purchased through our independent consultants. This allows us to provide personalized and exceptional customer service to our valued customers.

Are there any special deals or promotions for "Hmmmm, Interesting" products?

Yes, we often have special deals and promotions for our "Hmmmm, Interesting" products. Be sure to check with your Pampered Chef consultant or visit our website for the latest offers and discounts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Lydiasoby
  • cheflorraine
  • Pampered Chef Newsletters
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • raroll
  • Pampered Chef Newsletters
Replies