• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Travel Stress and Roommate Issues: My Experience with Work Travel

In summary, the woman is complaining about the number of people in her room, the lack of communication about the change in plans, and the long drive.
Oh, and TKG, you'll like this one ...

My last husband was an over the road truck driver. I was riding with him and we decided to stop around St Louis for the night. We were bopping along and saw that one of the drivers from the same company was staying at this place - he was a nice, family guy. His wife was with him - they were quite a bit older than us. Anyway, I just didn't catch a clue when the guy at the front desk asked us if we wanted the room by the night or by the hour :eek:

There was NO phone in the room (in the days before cell phones), the shower was a metal shower stall and there were (gulp) mirrors on the ceiling and behind the bed :eek: Oh, and I'm way too polite to talk about what was available on tv. Let's just say there was no news and no Miami Vice. :eek:

The next morning we stepped out of the room the same time this other guy and his wife did. We told them the only reason we checked in was we thought it had to be a decent place if THEY were staying there ... :rolleyes:

Bottom line...was it his wife?(And where in St. Louis is that place? I'm going to be there for awhile next Fall. Hehehehehehe.)

I know that you are upset and aren't looking forward to the 5 to a room. However, you don't want this to overshadow the amazing time you will have at NC. Get your gripes out here and let it go before NC - you'll be glad you did. And, you will get your own room and roomies next year! You never know why you have a 5th person unless you ask. Was it for money issues, can't find another room (a few were offered on this site, so it could possibly be fixed), the only way a new consultant would go? Ask and see if it is a good reason. Let the person who told you know that you weren't happy with having the decision made for you because (your reasons listed here) and you would appreciate being involved in any other decisions on travel and lodging in the future. HTH

I can't believe all the stuff in this thread.

First of all, putting a 5th in a 4 person room is a rip off to the hotel. And bringing your own mattress, what is up with that? I would be embrassed to do that. How can anyone be so bold as to suggest that that is a good idea. I am all about saving a buck, believe me I am dirt broke at this point in my life, but that doesn't mean you cheat a business. Plus, to put a 5th in the room with out consulting the entire group is just rude.

That being said, I love going to conference and I would say, make the best of it. Think of it as a bad camping trip. It rains, the tent leaks, the bugs are monsters, but hey, the s'mores are worth it.

If you are a drinker, I would say, pack your own bottle of wine, or whatever. If not, there is always chocolate! Figure out how much money you are saving with #5 and buy yourself something fun.

TKG - yes, it was his wife - or at least the woman he passed off as his wife all those other times ... :rolleyes:

No matter what, I AM going to have a good time at NC. I don't know about Paulette, but I'm taking notes on what NOT to do. I'd imagine that they (my director and advance director - they are sisters) had been trying to get people to go and no one was going until me. Then suddenly two others said they would go. I agree, its is ripping off the hotel, and tacky. I'm supposed to bring my own sheets ...

Paulette, I had really managed to block this from my mind until now...

MomToEli said:
Yep. I can remember staying at some place where the walls were made of concrete block ... Oh, you know, that place with the rising (or is it setting?) sun ... black and yellow sign ... can't think of it to save me. I know it when I see it, though, and run the other way ...

Then there is the time we were at the Ramada in downtown Atlanta - paid a pretty penny for the room. I had bug bites all over my forearms when I woke up after having them stuck under my pillow while I slept. The head of housekeeping went in and "looked" under the sheets. Didn't see bugs so they didn't feel the need to comp the room ... said I must be allergic to detergent.

Econolodge? No, that's not it ...

Days Inn! That's it!

I was going to say DAYS INN! after reading your first paragraph.... yup that's it!

MomToEli said:
Paulette, I had really managed to block this from my mind until now...

I also am making a list of what not to do....

Soooo Sory if I brought up something upsetting for you! It was not my intention!

Skulking away in shame...

etteluap70PC said:
I also am making a list of what not to do....

Soooo Sory if I brought up something upsetting for you! It was not my intention!

Skulking away in shame...

Oh, my dear ... you have NOTHING to apologize for or feel shameful for! First off, if I didn't think about it today, it is soon enough going to jump up and grab me by the rear end and MAKE me think about it :D July 8 is fast approaching!

Second, this is not a life shattering event. Uncomfortable at worst. We WEILL get through it. Worse case scenario - someone else in my room will be sleeping on the floor - it won't be me :p

So, you just stop worrying about me. I'm sorry that I took over YOUR thread!

Now, come on over here to the living room, sit in this nice comfy chair, put your feet up and let's have a nice cup of hot tea. Constant Comment is a favorite ... will that do? Let's chat about all the GREAT stuff we are going to learn at NC ...

MomToEli said:
Oh, my dear ... you have NOTHING to apologize for or feel shameful for! First off, if I didn't think about it today, it is soon enough going to jump up and grab me by the rear end and MAKE me think about it :D July 8 is fast approaching!

Second, this is not a life shattering event. Uncomfortable at worst. We WEILL get through it. Worse case scenario - someone else in my room will be sleeping on the floor - it won't be me :p

So, you just stop worrying about me. I'm sorry that I took over YOUR thread!

Now, come on over here to the living room, sit in this nice comfy chair, put your feet up and let's have a nice cup of hot tea. Constant Comment is a favorite ... will that do? Let's chat about all the GREAT stuff we are going to learn at NC ...

OHHHHH Constant Comment is my FAVE!!!!!!

Ok phew.... all is well! you are right not earth shattering just uncomfortable... No worries about the Hijak!!! I am just glad to know there is someone who understands!

I sent a msg to my dir. to let her know how I felt. I was very nice but I can not hide my feelings. It's just not me.....

here is my message:

First I need to say that I am soooo excited for conference that I almost can't stand it. Also I am looking froward to meeting you again and getting to know the others.

That said I have to say I wish I had been consulted about the 5th person in the room. I do not travel allot and when I do I like it to be a leisurely experience. If I remember right the rooms at the Hilton are not that big and it will be crowded. I know it's only 1 extra person so I will deal with it because I need this conference!

I do not mean this message to be a downer or for you to change plans. I just needed you to know how I feel since I have been stressing about it since I got your email yesterday.

MomToEli said:
Oh, great ... we are at the Hilton. I am going to be incredibly irritated if we haul this heavy air mattress and there isn't even room in the room for it ...

Prepare to be incredibly irritated, I don't think it will fit. The rooms at the Hilton are small. They do allow for roll-aways -- that bed is a twin. I've been in a room with five people for one night (last year) and it's just too chaotic for me. I can't imagine what it would have been like with only one bathroom.

etteluap70PC said:
WOW that's pretty bold!

Personally I would rather have a more comphy stay and enjoy my time away from home. Not alot of extra money arround here right now but I'd rather be a bit broke for another month than to be cranky the whole time.

That's me too. My Director and I (luckily) have the same philosophy. We want to be comfortable so we stay only two to a room. I can pay off the credit card later.

chefjeanine said:
Prepare to be incredibly irritated, I don't think it will fit. The rooms at the Hilton are small. They do allow for roll-aways -- that bed is a twin. I've been in a room with five people for one night (last year) and it's just too chaotic for me. I can't imagine what it would have been like with only one bathroom.
It would be like the Dan Ryan during rush hour.

Ok. The woman has until I get home from church to respond to my email. I don't give a RIP if she is out of town for the weekend! Pleasure be darned!

My dh just packed the thing back up (we had it set up downstairs - the grandkiddos had been here spending the night and dh slept down in the family room with them and our 8 yo ds - of course that was a WEEK ago, but hey ... we've been busy!) and it is VERY heavy to carry. If anyone, whether of right mind or not, thinks for one minute I am going to lug that thing all the way to my director's house (45 minutes away), then to the HO parking lot, then onto a shuttle bus, then into that stinking hotel just to find out IT DOESN'T FIT, they are nuts! Ain't happenin'. Nope.

(Tongue Firmly Planted In Cheek ... sort of)

Someone earlier made the comment about 5 per room cheating the hotel. Actually all the 5 per rooms need to check with the hotel and make sure it is o.k. Fire codes only allow so many people in a building and you know they will be crowded for us! Also, if there was a fire while we were all sleeping, the hotel NEEDS to know that person is there to account for them. Heaven forbid there is a great Chicago fire again...(anyone bringing a cow?)...and someone doesn't make it because they counted all the people and they were all there, but there was still a room full because everyone brought an extra person...

...just had to add that...

BTW, the cow didn't really start the fire, in case people didn't know, but it was funny to add and to think of a cow at NC (guess I was up too late last night...kind of giddy this a.m.)

etteluap70PC said:
Thanks Katie I really appreciate it. I think I will stick with the Hilton. I did the non conf hotel last time and it was just another pain for me. My Dir said she ordered a rollaway. We will just have to wait and see.

Thanks all for your kind, underdstanding, light hearted words/ramblings! That's why I love CS!

I figured that a non-conf hotel would be annoying, but since I was told by my director that she was going to get us a room at the Sheraton, I (like a dummy) didn't get my own room. Don't know why she didn't get us a room there and now that she is not going... well, I am more than pissed! Oh well. It is my first year and I'm so excited about going... but already make a note in my calendar for next April to reserve my OWN room... I can always cancel if I don't need it. Oh well... live and learn!

katie0128 said:
I figured that a non-conf hotel would be annoying, but since I was told by my director that she was going to get us a room at the Sheraton, I (like a dummy) didn't get my own room. Don't know why she didn't get us a room there and now that she is not going... well, I am more than pissed! Oh well. It is my first year and I'm so excited about going... but already make a note in my calendar for next April to reserve my OWN room... I can always cancel if I don't need it. Oh well... live and learn!

Yup I hear ya!

Paulette I totally understand where you are coming from about being frusterated about not being asked. However, last year I was #5 in a Hilton 2/2 room (because I couldn't afford to go to conference any other way and didn't really feel comfortable rooming with someone other than my director). I enjoyed it. If you can get the roll-a-way get it! It's not that comfortable, but to be able to have a bed to myself was worth it. I think I am going to be bringing my own pillow, because no hotel has good pillows (however at leadership they brought us feather pillows when we called and asked). I don't remember if your room has 1 or 2 bathrooms, but if it is 2 baths, it really isn't that bad. I have to say it was a huge bonding experience for me last year. I am now really close to all the directors in my upline as there were 3 directors in my room. I wish you the best of luck with it Paulette and know that all the ups of conference will outweigh the hotel horrors (there are always some). Also, just tell your hotel-mates that there is a walgreens not far from the hilton, so if they want earplugs they better go pick some up, as you aren't changing the way you sleep! (I've found listening to my ipod as I fall asleep is the best route for covering up everyone else's sounds)

Paulette, have you said anything to your upline about not wanting to share the room with so many people? Have you told them why you want less roommates? You are telling us that it is personal and have not said anything negative about any of them (at least I don't recall hearing that from you). If you are able to find a room with less people that would like one more roommate I would go for it but I would say something ahead of time to your director. You will have a bad taste about the team if you allow it without saying your piece.

If you do decide to change rooms be SURE that they have 2 baths. You are definitely better off with 5 people and 2 baths than 4 people with 1 bath.

And as far as the 5 to a room thing: I thought that the hotel information we got when registrations opened said that we could not have more than 4 in a room anyway...

janetupnorth said:
BTW, the cow didn't really start the fire, in case people didn't know, but it was funny to add and to think of a cow at NC (guess I was up too late last night...kind of giddy this a.m.)
One current theory is that the fire was possibly caused by Comet Biela or meteorites. This is based on evidence that the Chicago Fire, the great Peshtigo Fire and large fires in Michigan that destroyed Holland and Manistee, all happened at the same time and on the same night. While NASA says that meteorites do not cause fires, there is some evidence that comets have caused fires. No, I have no idea how, I'm simply reporting what I've read elsewhere.The Peshtigo Fire was far worse than the Chicago Fire in terms of death and destruction, but Chicago has better PR. Over 300 people perished in the Great Chicago Fire and most of the city was destroyed.Ironically, William C. Ogden was the first mayor of Chicago, the founder and first president of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway but he also owned a woodenware factory in Peshtigo. He lost his home in Chicago, most of his railroad, his factory in Peshtigo and thousands of acres of woodland holdings, all on the same night. (His cousin was the namesake of Ogden, Utah.)The Peshtigo Fire destroyed 1,875 square miles of forest land, that's 1.2 million acres, twice the area of the state of Rhode Island. 12 towns were destroyed and as many as 2500 people perished. The actual death toll is unknown, because not only were all the town records destroyed in the fire, but many bodies were so badly charred that they were unrecognizable. Some reported flames as high as one mile and survivng witnesses reported tornadoes, caused by the rising heat and flames, carrying houses and railroad cars into the sky. The flames not only jumped the Peshtigo River, but also carried across Green Bay and started fires on the Door Peninsula, raising the total burned acreage to as high as 1.5 million acres.There were reports that the wall of flame was five miles wide and moving at 90 to 100 MPH, burning hot enough to turn sand to glass. Survivors did so by hiding in the Peshtigo River, wells or other bodies of water.Even though more people may have perished in the collapse of the Twin Towers on 9/11, most perished in the building collapse, leaving the Peshtigo Fire the largest fire tragedy in US history.Just the same, leave your cow at home.

Last edited:
I actually did consider bringing a cow. Of course, since I'm not Mrs. O'Leary and I wouldn't be borrowing her cow, I figured I be safe. Of course, now, considering room arrangements, it might not be such a good idea.

The Hilton allows 5 in a room, so whoever said adding a 5th is cheating, it's not. One room we had last year had 5 in it. The 5th person was on a rollaway.

But as Jeanine mentioned, the rooms are small, so you will be squeezing in there. And no way, no how will that queen air mattress fit.

chefjeanine said:
That's me too. My Director and I (luckily) have the same philosophy. We want to be comfortable so we stay only two to a room. I can pay off the credit card later.

My director and I are staying together in a quad. I can't wait. :) No 3 yo elbows or knees in my back or ribs AND I get my own bathroom. :)

Another director in our cluster stays all by herself at Leadership and Conference. Sometimes it's nice to be comfy and have that alone time. Plus, she's always cold and no one likes how hot she keeps the room. :) Good thing my director and I have similar internal thermostats.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
(And where in St. Louis is that place? I'm going to be there for awhile next Fall. Hehehehehehe.)

Oh, I almost missed this part! Forestell. Right on the highway that is like a roller coaster ... 4036? 40-36? Something like that. Close to Wentzville.

Have fun ;)

Well, as much fun as you can have when you're working.Which probably has an entirely different meaning in that place.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, as much fun as you can have when you're working.

Which probably has an entirely different meaning in that place.

Every retort I can think of will only dig me into a hole deeper than I care to dig myself out of, so I think I'll just let it go ...

This time.

Goal for conference next year: Save enough thru Conf Club to share Conf hotel with only 1 roomie. Earn minimum of conf cash for incentive.

There then I do not have to feal guilty!

Brian (dh) and I were just talking about this on the way to church. Do they let us earn enough PC$ every year to pay for conference? Or some other incentive to do so? I plan on joining Conference Club when I get home.

Of course, registration will be twice as much since dh will go. Maybe. We might bring DS with us and they can hang out with my brother who lives there.

MomToEli said:
Every retort I can think of will only dig me into a hole deeper than I care to dig myself out of, so I think I'll just let it go ...

This time.
Just as well. Feel free to take it over to the hijack thread anytime. We get in all kinds of trouble over there.

Hey, Paulette, what is the most burning question you want to have answered this year?

For me it will have to do with recruiting ... I just have to figure out the question.

Hmmm....

What's the #1 thing you say at your shows that creats interest for potential recruits?

MomToEli said:
Brian (dh) and I were just talking about this on the way to church. Do they let us earn enough PC$ every year to pay for conference? Or some other incentive to do so? I plan on joining Conference Club when I get home.

Of course, registration will be twice as much since dh will go. Maybe. We might bring DS with us and they can hang out with my brother who lives there.
They almost always have some incentive (usually in January) that's specific to earning some money off of conference. Sometimes it's been $100 off conference or free conference, sometimes it's half off, etc. Plus, ANYTIME PC$ are earned, that can be used for conference. This is all based on what's happened over the past 4 years or so, but there does usually seem to be some chance. Conference Club is your best bet though. Then if you earn one of those types of incentives, you'll have that $$ in the conf. club for next time!:)

etteluap70PC said:
Goal for conference next year: Save enough thru Conf Club to share Conf hotel with only 1 roomie. Earn minimum of conf cash for incentive.

There then I do not have to feal guilty!

Note to self... steal Paulette's goal

You are too funny Katie!

If I manage to save too much in the Conference Club, can I get my cash out or do I have to let it ride ... ?

You get it back on your next commission check. I had more than I needed for conf reg and after I registered for NC, the extra was on my next check!

Yup Conf Club is awesome. I've had friends of mine (cons for other DS companies) tell me how cool it is that PC does this for us!

What I love is that you aren't penalized if you wind up not going to NC. Last year I found out in February that I couldn't go. I emailed the HO, and my Conference Club $ was on my next commission check.

MomToEli said:
If I manage to save too much in the Conference Club, can I get my cash out or do I have to let it ride ... ?
Actually they only let you put enough in there to cover the cost of conference ($175).

BethCooks4U said:
Actually they only let you put enough in there to cover the cost of conference ($175).
Nope- they do that with Leadership, but for NC you can put in extra so that you have enough should you register a guest. If you put in an extra $10 a month, it's an easy way to save up for other conference expenses. :)

chefann said:
Nope- they do that with Leadership, but for NC you can put in extra so that you have enough should you register a guest. If you put in an extra $10 a month, it's an easy way to save up for other conference expenses. :)
Thanks for the correction. I wish HO would tell us when they make changes (or did my director tell me wrong when I started). That's good to know for next year! I am SOOOO upset with myself. I ALWAYS do conference club and KNEW I did it this year but I missed it somehow this time!

So I can't save enough for things like my hotel?

Not all of it. For National Conference, you can save more in Conf Club than standard registration. I'm not sure how much more. But you can always make your own Conference Club by opening a special savings account and putting $20 off the top of each month's commission in it.

chefann said:
Not all of it. For National Conference, you can save more in Conf Club than standard registration. I'm not sure how much more. But you can always make your own Conference Club by opening a special savings account and putting $20 off the top of each month's commission in it.

But - after you register, any extra money saved comes in your next commission check. And remember the cut-off date has changed. You used to be able to put money in until May, but this year it was only until Feb or Mar.......

Paulette, I have volunteered to help at girl's camp and went to a lot of church retreats with my ladies group at church, each time all sleeping in 1 big room. One thing that has helped me--Sleeping Pills. I don't mean much. I usually take half the recommended dose not with alcohol and maybe not with your allergy medicine. I also, usually take a very small fan to make noises in the room not so noticeable.

But the whole room is going to be filled with big Pampered Chef fans.

I haven't read all seven pages, but I wouldn't be very pleased to have another person sprung into my room of four, either.

<h2>1. What are some common roommate issues when traveling for work?</h2><p>Some common roommate issues when traveling for work include feeling uncomfortable sharing a room with people you don't know, dealing with different personalities and habits, and having to compromise on privacy and personal space.</p><h2>2. How can I deal with stress while traveling for work?</h2><p>Some tips for dealing with travel stress include planning ahead, staying organized, taking breaks when needed, and finding ways to relax and unwind during your trip.</p><h2>3. What should I do if I have a health issue and am not comfortable sharing a room with multiple people?</h2><p>If you have a health issue that makes it difficult for you to share a room with multiple people, it's important to communicate this to your employer or the person in charge of arranging accommodations. They may be able to make special arrangements for you or find a solution that makes you more comfortable.</p><h2>4. What can I do to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience?</h2><p>To ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience, it's important to communicate your needs and preferences, be flexible and adaptable, and try to stay positive and open-minded. It can also be helpful to have a backup plan in case of any unexpected issues.</p><h2>5. How can I handle a situation where I am not consulted about changes in travel plans?</h2><p>If you are not consulted about changes in travel plans, it's important to communicate your concerns and try to find a solution that works for everyone. It can also be helpful to set boundaries and establish open communication with your travel companions to avoid similar situations in the future.</p>

1. What are some common roommate issues when traveling for work?

Some common roommate issues when traveling for work include feeling uncomfortable sharing a room with people you don't know, dealing with different personalities and habits, and having to compromise on privacy and personal space.

2. How can I deal with stress while traveling for work?

Some tips for dealing with travel stress include planning ahead, staying organized, taking breaks when needed, and finding ways to relax and unwind during your trip.

3. What should I do if I have a health issue and am not comfortable sharing a room with multiple people?

If you have a health issue that makes it difficult for you to share a room with multiple people, it's important to communicate this to your employer or the person in charge of arranging accommodations. They may be able to make special arrangements for you or find a solution that makes you more comfortable.

4. What can I do to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience?

To ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience, it's important to communicate your needs and preferences, be flexible and adaptable, and try to stay positive and open-minded. It can also be helpful to have a backup plan in case of any unexpected issues.

5. How can I handle a situation where I am not consulted about changes in travel plans?

If you are not consulted about changes in travel plans, it's important to communicate your concerns and try to find a solution that works for everyone. It can also be helpful to set boundaries and establish open communication with your travel companions to avoid similar situations in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies
Views
Gina M
Replies
Views