• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Travel Stress and Roommate Issues: My Experience with Work Travel

In summary, the woman is complaining about the number of people in her room, the lack of communication about the change in plans, and the long drive.
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
I just got an email from my director...
We now have 5 people in our room not 4. It would have been nice to be asked... I have a hard enough time being in a room with 3 people I do not know never mind 4! These ladies all know each other. I only know my director and her cons thru email. Well... I did meet my dir once 4 years ago!
I was also informed we will be taking the el from the airport to the hotel (it worked well for them before...) Again it would have been nice to be asked. After traveling all day I thought a cab or hotel shuttle would be nice. I know they are doing it to save money though. Maybee I am just a controll freak but I like to be asked!

As for the room a reason I'm upset is because I have a minor health issue and it is hard for me at time to share a room with alot of people. Thank Goodness for 2 bathrooms hopefully that will help my stress level. Also I have a fairly small house and I constanty have my kids all over me. I was hoping to get away and have some breathing room. I also snore... too bad for them! But I stress over it big time and probably will not sleep!

OK now I have made myself a basket case!

I am like you. I want to at least be asked and I usually want to be the one making the reservations.

5 women in a room is not at all like having the kids running around. Honest, it isn't much different than 4.

Is your team having a meeting the first night (ours has a meet n greet)? If so you can ask around to see if anyone has less than 4 in their room (but be careful the 2 baths with 5 people is better than 1 bath with 4 - THAT feels crowded). It's possible that you will find a room and then you could move. You said you don't know those in your room anyway...

Don't worry. Be happy. Enjoy conference!

I don't think your being selfish, you are sharing a room with 4 different people you don't know. Honestly, last year was my first conference, I roomed with my recruiter and 3 other women from our cluster that I had only met at our meetings, I was stressing a bit over it before conference, but you are not in the room that much, to shower and get ready in the am, maybe freshen up after workshops and before general sessions and then to sleep...
I think you will be okay...hang in there...its only a few days.
I agree with you though on being asked...I don't consider myself a control freak but as I get older and used to doing things myself it does annoy me when people make plans for me....without checking with me....
Enjoy conference....it will be great!

I agree with you - I would not be very happy with that change in plans :(

I would feel the same way as far as not being asked.
But like Krissy said you really won't spend very much time in your room anyway. Last year our reservations got screwed up (imagine that!) and I ended up w/ my ED ! and 4 other women who I never even talked to, never mind met!
Ended up I actually never even saw 1 of them, thats how little time we spent in the room.
I love the El train especially being from a small town where we don't even have a bus service ....it was fun and I did it alone too.:eek: . It just added to the whole BIG CITY experience.
stressed DH a bit but he goes crazy when I drive the highway alone he's such a worry wart!

You are not selfish at all. I can't even handle 4 women in one room. We are doing 3 this year and that is my max. And then not to be asked about the change is another thing that would be upsetting. Although it is just a few days, the travel and the hectic pace are exhausting.

Ok...there is a large RANT coming***warning***
We are driving 12 hours this year. Each year the air travel gets worse and we decided that we can do just as good with driving that the airlines can do with delaying, etc. Last year we were up at 5:30 am and because of delays, etc. we arrived home at 12 am. And that is because we decided to rent a car in Newark in lieu of staying over night and catching a flight the next day.
Then to top it off...our luggage was already loaded on the first plane and it did not arrive at our final destination until over night. I had to drive 200 miles round trip the next day to pick up all of our luggage. We were told at 11 pm that because we decided not to fly the next day that we volunterily "surrendered" our luggage and they would not deliver it to us...we had to retrieve it! When I went to retrieve the luggage I told the man that I won't fly again (unless PC pays for it or if I REALLY have to fly, it HAS to be a direct flight). The man said, "Yah, that's what they all say." :mad: To which I responded..."Watch me!!":D

I am looking forward to the networking time and there are 3 of us going so we can switch off with driving. I will bring DVD's and we will have a cooler too. I just have to practice saying..."Are we there YET???"

I wouldn't like not being asked. I don't think that 5 people in a room with 2 bathrooms will be too bad. At least you will have 2 bathrooms. You're not going to be in your room much more than to sleep and get ready in the am. You will have a great time; don't let this get you down.

Mary

I just so want this conference to be a better experience. Last time was not bad but not the experience I was hoping for. Keep in mind I was pregnant, had dealt with my sisters wedding the week before (wedding was the day before I flew out and had some emotional mishaps and was in general very emotional for me) Just before I left for conference my hotel situaltion got messed up. Straightend that out. I had to leave my 3yr old with my folks for the first time. Flights were delayed so I did not get to my hotel till after midnight. Got to my Non conf hotel to meet the ladies I was rooming with (none of the ladies in my hospitality group wanted to room with me cause I snore). The walk to a conf. hotel to catch the buss was further than I had been told. It was very muggy the first 2 days. Last night I stayed at the hilton with a couple gals I knew from Hosp cluster. 1 of the gals decided to go out and get drunk as a skunk. Came back to hotel after midnight and proceded to call her BF and cry to him on the phine for an hr (having been there before) I didn't mind so much but I had to get up at 4 to catch an early flight.

Ok I guess I am done ranting..

Thanks all! You are the best!!!

Paulette~ I hope you have a much better conference experience this time:)
Leaving your 3 year old had to be tough, I left mine last year for the first time but luckily he was with my DH, who is supportive of conference and takes days off work to stay with our son :) then dealing with family a day before leaving can stress any one out(if they are like my family~love 'em but sometimes, its emotional)
Here's wishing this time is better~best of luck to you :)

etteluap70PC said:
I just so want this conference to be a better experience. Last time was not bad but not the experience I was hoping for. Keep in mind I was pregnant, had dealt with my sisters wedding the week before (wedding was the day before I flew out and had some emotional mishaps and was in general very emotional for me) Just before I left for conference my hotel situaltion got messed up. Straightend that out. I had to leave my 3yr old with my folks for the first time. Flights were delayed so I did not get to my hotel till after midnight. Got to my Non conf hotel to meet the ladies I was rooming with (none of the ladies in my hospitality group wanted to room with me cause I snore). The walk to a conf. hotel to catch the buss was further than I had been told. It was very muggy the first 2 days. Last night I stayed at the hilton with a couple gals I knew from Hosp cluster. 1 of the gals decided to go out and get drunk as a skunk. Came back to hotel after midnight and proceded to call her BF and cry to him on the phine for an hr (having been there before) I didn't mind so much but I had to get up at 4 to catch an early flight.

Ok I guess I am done ranting..

Thanks all! You are the best!!!

Paulette - I hope it all works out for you! Relax and enjoy the conference!

Also, I don't know if anything helps, but maybe some breathe rite (?sp) strips might help you and ease your snoring. Don't know about your other medical issues, and I know you don't want to share but remember that we often worry about what people will think/react to them more than we should. You can't help medical issues...I hope all works out!

I would have liked to be asked, too.

That said, you are in your room for so little of conference that I think 4 vs 5 isn't going to matter that much. If you want to have a better conference experience, make it a better conference experience for yourself! Don't rely on those other people for your happiness.

I agree that I would have liked to be asked too. As for the snoring, like Janet mentioned, there are the breathe right strips & they also make a spray too. Don't know if that might help a tiny bit. :)

Maybe you won't be as stressed this time because you won't have the travel & wedding to deal with right before conference. Keep your chin up & remember, "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"! Make the best of it & go with a positive attitude. It will help more than you think! :)

Hey, speaking of, I just checked my e-mail and my ED sent a note with a good lemonade recipe...kind of with the same thing...this business is what we make it...so get the monkey off your back and go for it.

(Wizard of Oz theme)

Thanks guys.... I did not mean to "whine" so much. I just got off on the rong foot today.
I Do do my best to have a good attitude and make the best of things. Although I am not one to go with the crowd if it doesn't make me happy. I am not opposed to going and doing things on my own. I Have no idea what my Dir expects of me. I do not want her or the others to think I am snubbing them but I am the type I just need to do things my own way at times.

As for the snoring thing I have tried sprays and strips. They do not help much but I will bring some strips anyway. If I can keep my allergies in check it will help as well.

Again thanks all!

I am soooo excited for conference I can not stand it!

You'd only be shellfish if you were to clam up.After reading this thread, it makes me think I'm really glad I'll be in a single.And no, you can't use my bathroom.

Hey, I would have liked to be asked, but you'll be saving money...that's a good thing!

Paulette -
We are having a debate in our cluster about rooming... we have two rooms and 5 people. Three of the people think 5 in a room is o.k. - I'm not one of them. Even though I know we won't be in the room that much, 5 is still much for me. One other gal thinks the same way. If she and I decide to keep the 2nd room, would you want to come with us? We are in the Swissotel (don't get me started about why we are not in the Hilton... that is a whole other rant!), but I think the room is $140/night.
Let me know...

Paulette,

In which hotel are you staying? Five in a room at the Palmer House would not be too bad. Five in a room at the Hilton would be horrible. I have never stated at the Sheraton, but then you are down to one bathroom and that would not be good.

The rooms are very small at the Hilton, even though there are two bathrooms. I am not even sure where you could put a roll-a-way or even if you would be allowed to have one. Some hotels do not allow it. Do you know if you Director checked on that? Also, roll-a-ways are not guaranteed, so what will they do if they cannot get one.

I also would be upset if I was told I would be sharing a room with four other women. Hopefully you are at the Palmer House. It really does have a lot more space. At least the rooms we had last year did.

If you have trouble sleeping with other people in the room, the best sleep medicine I have used (over the counter) is found in Tylenol P.M., but you can purchase the 'P.M.' part separate.

Definitely tell you roomates they should bring their ear plugs since you snore. That might get rid of a roomate or two! Hehehe!

Good luck!
Lisa

katie0128 said:
don't get me started about why we are not in the Hilton... that is a whole other rant!
Don't worry, Paris has nothing to do with the day-to-day operations (thankfully) and she'll never miss you, anyway.

ChefLisa said:
I also would be upset if I was told I would be sharing a room with four other women.
I woudn't be. :D

Well, depending who they were, I suppose.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Paris...;)

Um, no thanks. One Paris is too many, four would be the end of the world as we know it.

I'm actually wondering how you all are getting 5 to a room?? Does the hotel know? .
When I attend conference, my DH & 3 kids go too we have always had to book 2 rooms because they only allow 4 to a room for fire codes. It's been this way every time regardless of hotel.

Sort of like Dollar Night at the drive-in movie, when we'd stuff 3 or 4 people into the trunk until we got past the box office.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Would the Kat Lady mind?

Probably. Then again, she knows what NC is like because she's gone to the pink ball in Dallas several times.

:confused: MK?

I'm a smart one, yep, I am!

katie0128 said:
Paulette -
We are having a debate in our cluster about rooming... we have two rooms and 5 people. Three of the people think 5 in a room is o.k. - I'm not one of them. Even though I know we won't be in the room that much, 5 is still much for me. One other gal thinks the same way. If she and I decide to keep the 2nd room, would you want to come with us? We are in the Swissotel (don't get me started about why we are not in the Hilton... that is a whole other rant!), but I think the room is $140/night.
Let me know...

Thanks Katie I really appreciate it. I think I will stick with the Hilton. I did the non conf hotel last time and it was just another pain for me. My Dir said she ordered a rollaway. We will just have to wait and see.

Thanks all for your kind, underdstanding, light hearted words/ramblings! That's why I love CS!

Including that the entire second page was mostly (but somewhat on topic) hijacking? Awwww, now nice of you to say so!

Hey at least you will pay less for the room since you will have to split it 5 ways instead of 4. Think of it as extra spending money for Chicago shopping or conference shopping!!!! I would love to have that 5th person to share the cost of the room with.

<slowly raises hand to volunteer>

Oh, my gosh, Paulette, I'm in the same spot! It started out there were 3 of us, and then I got an email asking me if I had an air mattress because there are 5! When I said something about feeling a bit uncomfortable with that many people, I was told that it would be better for me to spend my money on my business, instead of a room. And I found out yesterday that our room has ONE bathroom.

I seriously considered finding a bed with someone else, but after talking with my dh about it, decided I didn't want to be seen as anything but a team player. We ended up having to buy a new air mattress anyway for our camping trip last weekend, and it is a nice one - queen sized with that theraputic memory foam on top, 18 inches high (not the foam - the mattress). (At Walmart, Ozark Trail for just under $48, if anyone is interested) I'll sleep on it alone the whole time, thank you very much. And next year - dh will go with me and we will not share a room with anyone.

I so hear you and appreciate your position ...

ChefLisa said:
Paulette,

In which hotel are you staying? Five in a room at the Palmer House would not be too bad. Five in a room at the Hilton would be horrible. I have never stated at the Sheraton, but then you are down to one bathroom and that would not be good.

The rooms are very small at the Hilton, even though there are two bathrooms. I am not even sure where you could put a roll-a-way or even if you would be allowed to have one. Some hotels do not allow it. Do you know if you Director checked on that? Also, roll-a-ways are not guaranteed, so what will they do if they cannot get one.

I also would be upset if I was told I would be sharing a room with four other women. Hopefully you are at the Palmer House. It really does have a lot more space. At least the rooms we had last year did.

If you have trouble sleeping with other people in the room, the best sleep medicine I have used (over the counter) is found in Tylenol P.M., but you can purchase the 'P.M.' part separate.

Definitely tell you roomates they should bring their ear plugs since you snore. That might get rid of a roomate or two! Hehehe!

Good luck!
Lisa

Oh, great ... we are at the Hilton. I am going to be incredibly irritated if we haul this heavy air mattress and there isn't even room in the room for it ...

I sent an email to my director to see if anyone has bothered to check if the mattress will fit. I have that anxious feeling creeping up in the pit of my stomach ...

Sandy,

I sooo hear you on the TEAM player thing! I sooooo want to email my dir and tell her how displeased I am but I do not want to seem like a b**ch. Next year I think I will book my own room and get my own roomies.

My hubby finally got home and I told him about it. He said "see thats why guy's dont room together! And If I were you I'd be finding the closest motel 6 and learning the buss route" Yeah that sounds like even less fun! Gotta love a guy's reasoning!

MomToEli said:
I sent an email to my director to see if anyone has bothered to check if the mattress will fit. I have that anxious feeling creeping up in the pit of my stomach ...
I stayed at the Hilton last year in a 2/2. There were 4 of us and my director brought her own air mattress (so, I had my own bed....woo hoo!). Her air mattress was a twin size and it fit on the floor at the foot of my bed.....there was no extra room to walk around! If your room is the same size as mine was, I highly doubt you will have room for a larger mattress unless you can somehow re-arrange the furniture - which is quite large and heavy and already takes-up 90% of the floor space.

On a second note, I would be very pissed if this was my room.....5 women and 1 bathroom.....no way! You will save some money, but IMHO, not enough to warrant the hassle.

MomToEli said:
................... I was told that it would be better for me to spend my money on my business, instead of a room. ................

huh? In what way is this a viable and reasonable answer? I can't stand it when someone makes decisions for me and then tries to tell me how good it will be for me.

MomToEli said:
I was told that it would be better for me to spend my money on my business, instead of a room. ....

WOW that's pretty bold!

Personally I would rather have a more comphy stay and enjoy my time away from home. Not alot of extra money arround here right now but I'd rather be a bit broke for another month than to be cranky the whole time.

MomToEli said:
I have that anxious feeling creeping up in the pit of my stomach ...

Me too! And if you knew me better you would understand how that is really not a good thing!

Sandy, I think it was quite rude for them to tell you about spending money on your business and not your room. This is your business and nobody has the right to tell you how to run it. Yes, it will save you money for there to be 5 people, but if you are uncomfortable you will not rest and not be able to gather all the info you might otherwise be able to gather. I am sorry, but a trip to NC is not only a business decision for me, but it is also my vacation and time for myself. Selfish or not, I want to be able to rest. I live every day on 4 or 5 hours of sleep because of all the comittments I have on a daily basis. This is my time and nobody will tell me what I need to do for my business. Hopefully you will be able to make it work for you. While I would not mind 5 in the room...I have 3 kids...2 teenagers...so I am used to that. However, if you aren't used to that already it could be tough.

pamperedlinda said:
huh? In what way is this a viable and reasonable answer? I can't stand it when someone makes decisions for me and then tries to tell me how good it will be for me.

Yeah, I know. I was a bit put off by it myself. My director is a nice, but a bit, um, quirky. I should probably wait until after conference to confront this too much, since I'm riding with 3 of them. At least I think it is 3. I asked several days ago if there was going to be room in the van for the mattress - it's the size of a small suitcase!

I told her in the email that I am NOT willing to sleep on the floor of the hotel room. I guess if one of them wants to, okay by me ... Well, not really.

We are parking at the HO and doing the Park and Ride thing. I was cool with that - until I found out it was costing me $20 to ride the shuttle bus.

Sandy, Sandy ... next year will be different ...

etteluap70PC said:
WOW that's pretty bold!

Personally I would rather have a more comphy stay and enjoy my time away from home. Not alot of extra money arround here right now but I'd rather be a bit broke for another month than to be cranky the whole time.

Yeah. I know exactly what you mean. And I'm at the age where things can get just a bit edgy ... if you know what I mean.

MomToEli said:
We are parking at the HO and doing the Park and Ride thing. I was cool with that - until I found out it was costing me $20 to ride the shuttle bus.
But it would also cost you at least $30 per night to store (park) your car at a downtown hotel and you'd never be able to use it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
But it would also cost you at least $30 per night to store (park) your car at a downtown hotel and you'd never be able to use it.

That's worse than Kansas City. Of course, if there really ARE 5 of us, that's $100 bucks ... and the parking would be $90. I don't mind riding the shuttle, so long as I don't have to hold my luggage on my lap ...

I will admit right up front that I'm a bit of a hotel snob. Spoiled is a better word. I really wouldn't think much of paying for a room for just me at that rate - usually do (or just me and hubby, or maybe me and one other), unless we are only going to be using it for a few hours, then all bets are off. Anyway, I don't do the lower end motels - once a company I was doing a consulting job for put me up in a hotel where I could hear the drunk basketball game watching guys - did I say they were drunk? - go pee. Do you have ANY idea how often drunk guys - lots of them - go pee?

The next morning they moved me to a better scale hotel. I've stayed in 4 and 5 stars ever since.

I've been in some of those places that have rooms like jail cells. The rooms at a MicroTel I was in once were so small, you had to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. I've been in Motel 8's that were so bad that calling them dumps is an insult to landfills all over the world. In fairness, many Motel 8's are wonderful places that rival the best places.I now limit myself to certain brands of hotel for the very reasons you mention. They're predictable.

Yep. I can remember staying at some place where the walls were made of concrete block ... Oh, you know, that place with the rising (or is it setting?) sun ... black and yellow sign ... can't think of it to save me. I know it when I see it, though, and run the other way ...

Then there is the time we were at the Ramada in downtown Atlanta - paid a pretty penny for the room. I had bug bites all over my forearms when I woke up after having them stuck under my pillow while I slept. The head of housekeeping went in and "looked" under the sheets. Didn't see bugs so they didn't feel the need to comp the room ... said I must be allergic to detergent.

Econolodge? No, that's not it ...

Days Inn! That's it!

<h2>1. What are some common roommate issues when traveling for work?</h2><p>Some common roommate issues when traveling for work include feeling uncomfortable sharing a room with people you don't know, dealing with different personalities and habits, and having to compromise on privacy and personal space.</p><h2>2. How can I deal with stress while traveling for work?</h2><p>Some tips for dealing with travel stress include planning ahead, staying organized, taking breaks when needed, and finding ways to relax and unwind during your trip.</p><h2>3. What should I do if I have a health issue and am not comfortable sharing a room with multiple people?</h2><p>If you have a health issue that makes it difficult for you to share a room with multiple people, it's important to communicate this to your employer or the person in charge of arranging accommodations. They may be able to make special arrangements for you or find a solution that makes you more comfortable.</p><h2>4. What can I do to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience?</h2><p>To ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience, it's important to communicate your needs and preferences, be flexible and adaptable, and try to stay positive and open-minded. It can also be helpful to have a backup plan in case of any unexpected issues.</p><h2>5. How can I handle a situation where I am not consulted about changes in travel plans?</h2><p>If you are not consulted about changes in travel plans, it's important to communicate your concerns and try to find a solution that works for everyone. It can also be helpful to set boundaries and establish open communication with your travel companions to avoid similar situations in the future.</p>

1. What are some common roommate issues when traveling for work?

Some common roommate issues when traveling for work include feeling uncomfortable sharing a room with people you don't know, dealing with different personalities and habits, and having to compromise on privacy and personal space.

2. How can I deal with stress while traveling for work?

Some tips for dealing with travel stress include planning ahead, staying organized, taking breaks when needed, and finding ways to relax and unwind during your trip.

3. What should I do if I have a health issue and am not comfortable sharing a room with multiple people?

If you have a health issue that makes it difficult for you to share a room with multiple people, it's important to communicate this to your employer or the person in charge of arranging accommodations. They may be able to make special arrangements for you or find a solution that makes you more comfortable.

4. What can I do to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience?

To ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience, it's important to communicate your needs and preferences, be flexible and adaptable, and try to stay positive and open-minded. It can also be helpful to have a backup plan in case of any unexpected issues.

5. How can I handle a situation where I am not consulted about changes in travel plans?

If you are not consulted about changes in travel plans, it's important to communicate your concerns and try to find a solution that works for everyone. It can also be helpful to set boundaries and establish open communication with your travel companions to avoid similar situations in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies
Views
Gina M
Replies
Views