• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Damaged Knife - Did I Make a Mistake?

about 2 months ago and she hasn't even used it. I was going to get my mom the set but now I am not so sure.I got my mom the set...about 2 months ago and she hasn't even used it.
cgreen
Ok, I'm going to call HO... but before I do that I'm just wanting to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

I have used my paring knife maybe 5 times, total. After the last time I used it, I notices small rust marks--then when I examined it closer, there were also tiny little knicks in the sharp edge of the blade.

I know I have only hand washed it, but I used the honing tool on it once--could that have done it? (I thought it was designed so that you really couldn't do it wrong!)

I feel like it must just be defective, but I guess part of me doesn't want to believe that because then it makes me worry about what my customers are getting.

Thanks in advance.

sorry!
cgreen said:
Ok, I'm going to call HO... but before I do that I'm just wanting to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

I have used my paring knife maybe 5 times, total. After the last time I used it, I notices small rust marks--then when I examined it closer, there were also tiny little knicks in the sharp edge of the blade.

I know I have only hand washed it, but I used the honing tool on it once--could that have done it? (I thought it was designed so that you really couldn't do it wrong!)

I feel like it must just be defective, but I guess part of me doesn't want to believe that because then it makes me worry about what my customers are getting.

Thanks in advance.
I;m sorry to hear that! I hand wash mine too and have noticed a small speck of rust on my chef's knife:( ! I hope it's not happening with my customers (when some may not take extra care of them to hand wash or dry them right away). Even though they are lifetime guarenteed I wish they were more durable!

I have specks of rust on all my knives. We have hard water down here, but I have a softner on the water system. Haven't ever ran the knives through the dishwasher. Hand wash only, but sometimes they sit in side sink for a while before being washed. I am really upset. I have returned two customer knives for this. A really good friend ordered the steak knife set and forged cutlery and has it on all her knives. She said she'll just keep them. I don't understand, they say rust resistant.

ChefJeniLobdell said:
I have specks of rust on all my knives. We have hard water down here, but I have a softner on the water system. Haven't ever ran the knives through the dishwasher. Hand wash only, but sometimes they sit in side sink for a while before being washed. I am really upset. I have returned two customer knives for this. A really good friend ordered the steak knife set and forged cutlery and has it on all her knives. She said she'll just keep them. I don't understand, they say rust resistant.
That's horrible for your guest, especially with how expensive they are! I dont' get why they rust so easily?

THis frustrates me too.....it's on my Utility knife. I need to get some bar keepers friend to try..

I'm sorry but we shouldn't have to buy a special cleaner to get rid of rust on such a "quality" (expensive) knife!:mad:

I totally agree. I don't want to talk about how great our knives are and then when they call to tell me about it rusting say they need to purchase Barkeepers Friend.

I haven't had any problems....yet...I am somewhat anal about washing & drying them right away because we have well water which is very hard and no softener.

This should not be happening at these prices!:eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Let us know what HO says!

Carbon steel does rust. And the knives are only "rust resistant" not "rust proof" so they require a great deal of care.I wash mine immediately after I use them and then dry them, just like I always have done with my high-quality knives from other vendors, and I haven't had any rust spots.I do think the U&C card should give a bit more detail about the care of the knife, myself. They aren't as easy-care as people think.

I also have these marks on my knives as well. My utitly knife as some divits on the blade part. I have to call HO but for some reason I keep putting it off. I have already had one knife exchanged becuse of this.

I was going to get my mom the set but now I am not so sure.

I got my mom the set from the Half host combos and she liked how sharp they are but she doesn't take "the extra care" for them and now they are all rusted! But she still uses them!

cooking.with.ann said:
Carbon steel does rust. And the knives are only "rust resistant" not "rust proof" so they require a great deal of care.

I wash mine immediately after I use them and then dry them, just like I always have done with my high-quality knives from other vendors, and I haven't had any rust spots.

I do think the U&C card should give a bit more detail about the care of the knife, myself. They aren't as easy-care as people think.
Do other kniives like Henkles or Cutco require such care for their knives? I know my family have both and neither complain about them? Or what other highquality brands our like ours that you have to wash and dry them right away?

BethCooks4U said:
I'm sorry but we shouldn't have to buy a special cleaner to get rid of rust on such a "quality" (expensive) knife!:mad:
I agree completely!:(

heat123 said:
Do other kniives like Henkles or Cutco require such care for their knives? I know my family have both and neither complain about them? Or what other highquality brands our like ours that you have to wash and dry them right away?

Heather,

I've used (and still use) some Cutco knives. They are made of stainless steel (like our self-sharpening knives, only a higher grade) so they don't need the same care.

My Henkles and Wustoff knives will both rust if left soaking in water, or with liquids on them. But both sets of knives are made of carbon steel.

Even stainless steel can rust if it's left in water long enough. I just don't know how long that would be!

For most of my customers, the extra trouble to care for the knife is more of a problem than the price of the knives. I wish we had brought out a higher quality stainless knife (like the Cutco knives--I love their handles).

heat123 said:

I have one cutco knife that I've had for probably 8 years or so, never had a problem with it, and I put it in the dishwasher (BTW one of my favorite knives). My mom has Henkle's... same thing, she dishwashers them and never a problem. My one PC forged cutlery knife (the utility knife) I LOVE, handwash it and usually dry it (most of my dishes get air dried), no spots. I really think this has more to do with your water than with the knives, but if mine rusted you can bet I'd be returning them.

Related to Damaged Knife - Did I Make a Mistake?

1. What should I do if my knife arrives damaged?

If your knife arrives damaged, please contact our customer service team for assistance. We will work with you to find a solution, whether that be a replacement or a refund.

2. How do I know if I damaged the knife myself?

If the knife was damaged during shipping, it will likely be apparent upon opening the package. If you notice any issues with the knife after using it, please contact our customer service team for further assistance.

3. Can I still use a damaged knife?

It is not recommended to use a damaged knife, as it can be a safety hazard and may also affect the performance of the knife. We suggest contacting our customer service team for a replacement or refund.

4. Will I have to pay for return shipping if I received a damaged knife?

If the knife was damaged during shipping, we will cover the cost of return shipping. However, if the damage was caused by the customer, they may be responsible for covering the return shipping costs.

5. How can I prevent my knife from getting damaged in the future?

To prevent your knife from getting damaged, we recommend properly storing it in a knife block or sheath when not in use. It is also important to use the knife for its intended purpose and avoid harsh cutting surfaces. Regularly sharpening and maintaining the knife can also help prevent damage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • chefmoseley
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • kcjodih