• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Crisis Of... Conscience? Motivation?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with balancing their retail and sales burnout with their desire to share the products and opportunity of their job as a PC consultant. They find that PC is different from other sales jobs because they are able to teach and help people instead of just selling to them. They also mention the benefits of joining PC and recommend reading books by the company's founders for inspiration. They are a teacher by profession and have found success in their shows and bookings by following the company's model. Another speaker offers advice to follow their heart and let go of the sales aspect, and the conversation ends with a friendly exchange.
jenniferp417
I've officially been a PC consultant for 16 months, but I've only completed 7 shows. I love PC, I love the products and I *do* want to tell people about them, but I'm struggling.

I worked retail for 11 years, and I'm burned out. I don't want to sell. At all. On the other hand, I want to make money, I want to share the opportunity, I want to share these great products.

I just don't know how to reconcile my retail/sales burnout with PC. I've been out of retail for 14 months - I thought this would get easier as I distanced myself from it, but it hasn't.

I'm certain I'm not the only one ever to get caught in a mental quandary like this, and I wonder if anyone can offer me any suggestions? Advice?

I spent many years in the retail sector - so I know feeling burned out...

I think what makes PC different for me is that I am actually teaching something at my shows - I give alot of good tips and cooking techniques, and so I'm not just selling to sell - people want to buy what I demo, so that they can recreate what we did at the show. I know, because I talk to them later, that hosts and guests use the products and that in many cases, the products have really changed their time in the kitchen for the better. So - it's more about teaching and helping for me than it is about selling.

Maybe that's why PC has come so naturally to me. One of the first things I tell people is, to put their checkbook away. I tell them I am not here to sell them on a product. I simply am following our founder Doris Christopher's lead - to share some great equipment and make it available to them if they choose. I tell people I will be following her model as well - in inviting them to consider joining our tremendous company. With benefits that range from "adjustability" -adjustable apron and an adjustable paycheck, to "stability in the future" -College savings program and retirement accounts, there is a place in Pampered Chef for anyone that wants it - or wants a better life. I then go on to tell how mine has improved since PC.

I am a teacher by profession, and am very wary of sales people. Whatever I'm doing works well - because my show average is high and I get 2-4 bookings at every show.

Follow your heart - let go of the sales aspect - read Doris and Jay's books Come to the Basement, and The Story of One Of America's Best Loved Companies TPC.

God Bless You!

-praying for Paige and her family-

Thank you both! Your words have helped a LOT! :DScott - I think I need to re-read Doris' book and will order "Come to the Basement" on my next supply order!

scottcooks said:
Maybe that's why PC has come so naturally to me. One of the first things I tell people is, to put their checkbook away. I tell them I am not here to sell them on a product. I simply am following our founder Doris Christopher's lead - to share some great equipment and make it available to them if they choose. I tell people I will be following her model as well - in inviting them to consider joining our tremendous company. With benefits that range from "adjustability" -adjustable apron and an adjustable paycheck, to "stability in the future" -College savings program and retirement accounts, there is a place in Pampered Chef for anyone that wants it - or wants a better life. I then go on to tell how mine has improved since PC.

I am a teacher by profession, and am very wary of sales people. Whatever I'm doing works well - because my show average is high and I get 2-4 bookings at every show.

Follow your heart - let go of the sales aspect - read Doris and Jay's books Come to the Basement, and The Story of One Of America's Best Loved Companies TPC.

God Bless You!

Good advice Scott.

Nice picture too - it's good to 'see' who you are chatting with!

scottcooks said:

God Bless You!

This is some WONDERFUL advice Scott!

SUPER advise Scott. I loved this job and this company before I read both books but my whole attitude changed after I read them. This summer at NC I was up on the 4th floor in that big conference room and I stood looking out over the front area with the gorgeous pond etc. I was blessed to be in there with just one or two others and I just had such a feeling of amazement at how God had used Doris and how all this had begun in a basement and now look at it!!!!! NO dream is too small ... I stood there in tears ... and just let that amazement wash over me. It's a feeling that I know I'll never lose and it isn't just about me... and that feeling wasn't... it was about every person who got to dream and grow and be with their family instead of having their job drive them. I agree with all the advise in the posts above... we do get to teach in a fun way, pass on great tips that have nothing to do with PC and get to know some really cool and occasionally really kooky people but it's such a joy. I hope and pray that if you want to stay with PC that you can let the stress of the sales job of the past wash away with the knowledge that Doris wanted exactly the opposite of that stress for you with PC. You know... dial up Nancy Jo's message and take the 9 minutes to listen to that again... she's inspiring too! :) Thanks for posting... I think it's good for all of us to revisit our WHY and how look at where we stand to stay fresh. Keep us posted okay?

pamperedlinda said:
Good advice Scott.

Nice picture too - it's good to 'see' who you are chatting with!
I look almost like Lucy from the Peanuts...plus she looks better in her snappy red dress :) LOL

Scott, that was good advice. I was a District Manager in the Retail world. My positions varied from Store Manager to DM. I have managed sales, or retail sales for 16+ years! Some days I struggle too with feeling like I'm "selling" again. However my past 2 shows, I treated it more like an episode from The Food Network, and I had an almost $900.00 show and a $1016.07 show! :)

Just hang in there- you are probably more burnt out on crazy/psycho customers than you are on "selling". I have to listen to "calming" music before I go to my shows- especially if I have a difficult host (which most mine have been) because it brings back bad memories from wicked retail customers. I think Scott's advice is the best!

You've been at it for this long, you just need to look at it from a different angle regroup and go out there and rock and roll!

Related to Crisis Of... Conscience? Motivation?

1. What is a "crisis of conscience"?

A "crisis of conscience" refers to a state of inner conflict or turmoil caused by a person's moral or ethical beliefs being challenged or questioned. It can be a result of external influences or internal reflection.

2. How does a crisis of conscience affect motivation?

A crisis of conscience can significantly impact a person's motivation. It can cause them to question the purpose and meaning behind their actions and goals, leading to a lack of motivation or a shift in priorities. It can also create feelings of guilt or regret, which can hinder motivation.

3. What are some common causes of a crisis of conscience?

There are various factors that can contribute to a crisis of conscience, including conflicting values or beliefs, pressure from others, moral dilemmas, and personal experiences that challenge one's perspective.

4. How can one overcome a crisis of conscience?

Overcoming a crisis of conscience requires self-reflection, open-mindedness, and a willingness to challenge one's beliefs. Seeking support from trusted individuals, seeking therapy, and finding a compromise or solution that aligns with one's values can also help overcome a crisis of conscience.

5. Can a crisis of conscience be beneficial?

While a crisis of conscience can be challenging, it can also be beneficial in promoting personal growth and self-awareness. It forces individuals to reevaluate their beliefs and values and make changes that align with their true selves. It can also lead to a stronger sense of purpose and motivation in the long run.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KarenH
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • hunkiemunkie
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
CooknSteph
  • ChefetteDuJour