• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Credit Union vs Bank: Pros and Cons for Your Financial Needs

In summary, both banks and credit unions offer the same services with a few differences. The main difference between the two is the ownership. A credit union is owned by it's members, which can make it more personal and stress the importance of kids saving money.
chefsteph07
Does anyone know the advantages of going with a credit union vs a regular "bank"? My DH is wanting us to switch our accounts over to a credit union that is linked w/ his work...I have had our acct w our bank for about 15 years so I'm kind of leary about closing out my account until I know the benefits of one vs the other...any help/knowledge would be appreciated...

Actually - they are basically the same. Your deposits are insured at each, just by different entities. Just make sure that the credit union offers the services that you like, for example, debit cards, online banking, etc.
One of the best things to do would be to do a list of pros and cons at your current bank, then compare with the credit union.

DH and I have used a credit union for the last 8 (more for him) years. We tens to get lower feesl, better interest rates for savings and loans, and great service. His is also linked to his work, and so employees tend to get good deals too (ours is for federal workers).

We have got our car loan from them and got a great rate. I'm sure someone else can give more details on what the differences are, but we have really liked ours. I guess I would make sure it is a big enough one though!

That's one thing that DH said about the union, was the interest rates. We will be looking to get a new car in the next 12 mo so that is important also. I did check out some things and they have a kids club (my bank does not have) and they also have a Christmas club (my bank does not have) so those are good features. Online banking and the debit card is a MUST so I will check that out too...

I've also heard that a credit union is owned by it's members. Like they can't be bought or sold. Does that make sense?

Our MTG is with our credit union and we got an awesome rate plus they paid closing costs, with conditions of course, but none the less, we had no out of pockets. And they do have competitive rates on auto loans, boats, etc., plus the features you mentioned kids, Christmas, and ours has a Teen program.

We love our credit union. The fees are a lot less, and the interest rates on everything is lower. Ours has a repo lot, and the interest rate on those cars is 3.99%!!

Yes, we do own a part of our credit union, and they sponsor some contests like direct deposit match for a winner every month, college scholarships, etc. They stress the importance of kids saving money, so anytime my daughter goes in and makes a deposit she gets a prize!

I've had an account at my credit union for 32 years. I've been very please with the service. Better interest rates, more personalized service...because it is owned by members, we often get savings "bonuses" at the end of the year or contests that happen.I have an account at a second credit union where I live now just for PC items, been there about 9 years total.1st credit union has been through car loans, student loans, etc. throughout the years...Both credit unions only require a $5 min. deposit and have free checking which is great!

1. What is the main difference between a credit union and a bank?

A credit union is a non-profit financial institution owned by its members, while a bank is a for-profit institution owned by shareholders. This difference often results in credit unions offering lower fees and higher interest rates on savings accounts.

2. Can anyone join a credit union?

No, credit unions have membership requirements, such as being part of a specific community or organization. However, these requirements are often more lenient than traditional banks, and many credit unions offer membership to anyone who lives or works in a certain area.

3. Are credit unions insured like banks?

Yes, most credit unions are insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), which provides the same level of protection as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) for banks. This means that deposits are insured up to $250,000 per account.

4. Which offers better interest rates, credit unions or banks?

It depends on the specific institution and type of account. In general, credit unions tend to offer higher interest rates on savings accounts and lower interest rates on loans. However, banks may offer more competitive rates on certain products, so it's important to compare rates from both types of institutions.

5. Do credit unions offer the same services as banks?

Yes, credit unions offer many of the same services as banks, such as checking and savings accounts, loans, credit cards, and online banking. Some credit unions may have fewer branches and ATMs compared to larger banks, but they often have partnerships with other credit unions to provide access to these services.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Karen
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • candiejayne