• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking with Ginger Root: Mandarin Pasta Salad

In summary, Diane suggests using a garlic press, grater, or cheese grater to grate gingerroot, and suggests that you freeze the gingerroot for future use. She also suggests lightening the salad by using less fat and calories, fresh squeezed oranges, and less oil.
lacychef
Okay, so everyone (especially Soonerchef) has raved about the Mandarin Pasta Salad. I want to offer it for my July shows, but...I've never used ginger root before. Any tips?
BTW, which cookbook was this in? Just curious, this site is the 1st place I've heard of it....thanks:D

I've never used it either, but I think I remember reading that you just cut the outside off and then grind the inside in your microplane grater or cheese grater.

lacychef said:
Okay, so everyone (especially Soonerchef) has raved about the Mandarin Pasta Salad. I want to offer it for my July shows, but...I've never used ginger root before. Any tips?
BTW, which cookbook was this in? Just curious, this site is the 1st place I've heard of it....thanks:D

https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/cel04_mandarin_pasta_recipe.pdf

Go there & you will see it!:D. Gingerroot is a brown weird looking spice. It is very easy to find, just peel it & chop it up. Or if you want, go to the spices & buy a jar of ground Ginger for the ammount you need NO ONE will know the difference. ( I'm assuming you are gonna make the dressing in advance) Any other questions let me know.

Ginger:cool:

Ginger root is sold in hands. . .you only need a finger, so break off a piece. :) Peel off the outside and then slice off a piece and press it in your Garlic Press.

With the leftovers, peel the entire piece, cut into 1" sections and throw in your freezer to use later.

I love fresh gingerroot!!

Here's a tasty tip: If you have leftover ginger, take about a 1/4 inch piece and throw it in a glass of drinking water. It's good!

Diane

I use the gingerroot all the time now. I like showing it in the garlic press. I buy a big piece and freeze it in the freezer, it does not grade well after being frozen, however it still has the great flavor and smell.The Mandarin Pasta salad was not in a cookbook, might have been a season's best, but is the most requested salad that I do.

I do the gingerroot on my Microplane Adjustable Grater and sell LOTS of them by showing it!

Thank you gals so much for your tips:D I knew I would get some advice here:) I am excited to try this salad at my show tomorrow, my host decided on it yesterday. I don't usually demo recipes without practicing them, but it sounds pretty fool-proof!

Ginger428 said:
https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/cel04_mandarin_pasta_recipe.pdf

Go there & you will see it!:D. Gingerroot is a brown weird looking spice. It is very easy to find, just peel it & chop it up. Or if you want, go to the spices & buy a jar of ground Ginger for the ammount you need NO ONE will know the difference. ( I'm assuming you are gonna make the dressing in advance) Any other questions let me know.

Thanks Ginger:D Seeing the picture there really makes me want to make it! How pretty:)

Great tips guys...ginger is a lot like garlic in the way you can use it....garlic press, grate it, make a paste...all sorts of stuff

Hope you have fun with the recipe....glad you are trying it and your guests will love it!

soonerchef said:
Great tips guys...ginger is a lot like garlic in the way you can use it....garlic press, grate it, make a paste...all sorts of stuff

Hope you have fun with the recipe....glad you are trying it and your guests will love it!

I brought it to my cluster meeting the other night & I'm making it for tonights party, ( but I'm grilling the chicken at the party:D ). I also lightened it up a bit. They are now making pasta that is less fat & calories ( Ronzoni calls it Healthy Harvest Wheat Blend) Also using fresh squeezed oranges ( with the citrus press:D ) & I use less oil. :D :D :D

Gingerroot is wonderful! Go to the produce section and and look for tan gnarly roots, break off what you need. This will cost you less than 50 cents. The best way to get your tsp of fresh ginger is with the microplane adjustable grater. I have tried everything else and nothing works as well. Peel it first. When you grate it, it is going to collect on the back of the blade.
The Mandarin Pasta Salad recipe can be printed from our web site. It is found in the past Celebrations recipe cards. You may want to enlarge it when you make copies. It is easier to read.

Great ginger tips! I have made this pasta salad before but I just fumbled around with the ginger. I don't even think I peeled it........

1. How do I prepare ginger root for use in Mandarin Pasta Salad?

To prepare ginger root for use in Mandarin Pasta Salad, first wash the root thoroughly and then peel off the skin using a vegetable peeler or a spoon. Next, grate or mince the ginger to the desired size.

2. Can I substitute ground ginger for fresh ginger in this recipe?

Yes, you can substitute ground ginger for fresh ginger in this recipe. However, keep in mind that the flavor may be slightly different and you may need to adjust the amount used. Generally, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger is equivalent to 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger.

3. How long does ginger root last in the fridge?

Ginger root can last up to 3 weeks in the fridge if stored properly. It is best to store it in a plastic bag in the vegetable crisper drawer or wrapped in a damp paper towel.

4. Can I freeze ginger root?

Yes, you can freeze ginger root for future use. Simply peel and chop the ginger into small pieces and store in an airtight container or freezer bag. It can last up to 6 months in the freezer.

5. How much ginger root should I use in Mandarin Pasta Salad?

The amount of ginger root to use in Mandarin Pasta Salad may vary depending on personal preference. Generally, 1-2 tablespoons of grated ginger is a good starting point. You can always add more to taste if desired.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • Mama2bowbaby
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies