• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cookbook Tip: Keep Cookbooks Close with a Skirt Hanger

In summary, the author suggests using a skirt hanger to hold a cookbook up closer to your eye while you cook. She also suggests putting the book in a gallon size zip loc bag to keep it looking new.
raebates
Staff member
I was watching Rachael Ray, when she shared this tip. Use a skirt hanger (one with springy clips) to hold a cookbook up closer to eye level while you cook. Just put the clips on the cookbook, then slip the hanger's hook over a cabinet handle. This would work really well for our cookbooks.

I put our cookbooks in a gallon size zip loc bag. It keeps them looking new. You could clip the hanger to the bag too I guess.

I think the hanger clips right on the cookbook might damage the book but then I haven't tried it.

That's a good idea!!

My mom got me the cookbook holder with splatter guard for Christmas from BAM that I was wanting.

That is a great idea! I would put my cookbook in a plastic bag so the clips would not damage it. Thanks for sharing!

Hmmm...I'll have to pass this along to my DD. She already got something on one of the pages of the new 29 Minutes CB I got from the SAT!

Cool ideas!!!

I am anxiously waiting for the day when PC will come out with a cookbook holder!

That would be a great idea, especially if you are short on counter space... As far as putting them in plastic bags to protect them... seems like it would be hard to read the recipe, for me anyway. Besides, if they have smudges on them it's easy to see your favorite books and recipes! haha!

ChefPaulaB said:
That would be a great idea, especially if you are short on counter space... As far as putting them in plastic bags to protect them... seems like it would be hard to read the recipe, for me anyway. Besides, if they have smudges on them it's easy to see your favorite books and recipes! haha!

The bags are clear. I don't have any problem reading through the bag - I guess if the light was reflecting on it...

I don't mind the "smudges" too much in the privacy of my kitchen but if I'm taking the book to shows I don't want them to think the books are dirty - plus more often than not the smudges make the pages stick together.

BethCooks4U said:
The bags are clear. I don't have any problem reading through the bag - I guess if the light was reflecting on it...

I don't mind the "smudges" too much in the privacy of my kitchen but if I'm taking the book to shows I don't want them to think the books are dirty - plus more often than not the smudges make the pages stick together.

That is true, I do hate that... as far as being used for shows, I feel that it just shows them that I use them and love them, but yeah, you don't want them sticking together. I do have a cookbook stand that I use and unless I get really crazy (and sometimes cooking with 2 small kids, it does get crazy) they stay fairly clean. I have terrible lighting in my kitchen so I know that I would have problems with the reading through bags, maybe some day I can redo my kitchen and fix that problem!

ChefPaulaB said:
That is true, I do hate that... as far as being used for shows, I feel that it just shows them that I use them and love them, but yeah, you don't want them sticking together. I do have a cookbook stand that I use and unless I get really crazy (and sometimes cooking with 2 small kids, it does get crazy) they stay fairly clean. I have terrible lighting in my kitchen so I know that I would have problems with the reading through bags, maybe some day I can redo my kitchen and fix that problem!

Tell your DH that you have to do a remodel so you can put your cookbooks in ziploc bags. :D:D:p:D

SB (opened to your recipe) fits perfectly in a clear sheet protector. I just discovered this.

I always tell people at shows to "Please excuse the splashes and splatters. I use the cookbooks in my kitchen, and I get a little wild when I cook."

I like that my cookbooks are "well loved and seasoned"!!! I have a lot of pages dog-eared and I have people comment that they can tell not only do I use my cookbooks, but they can tell which recipes I fix a lot because they are the most "loved" looking!!!

Smudges may show you liked the recipe, but you don't want some critical instruction blocked! I love using the ziplocs to keep our cookbooks clean. I do that at shows all the time! At home, I often forget and end up with a stain. I think I'll have to try this hangar trick as I have a very small kitchen!

I LOVE this idea...how cool! Unfortunately, I will have to just pass the idea on to others because I don't have handles on my cabinets.:( Thanks for the idea, though.

I used a hanger that we bought for our sons clothes. They are blue and have the little movable clamps. I hook mine to my light (at this house) in my old house I hooked it around the inside of the cabinet and shut the door onto it, that holds it in place pretty well for me. But I do not use a SB at my show, I use a typed up copy of the recipe from the SB and slip that into a sheet protector, this way it is protected, and I can put it anywhere. If you lay a SB on the table it might flip closed or get food on it whatever, but the typed up recipe is ok anywhere and even if it did get messed up I'd just print up a new one. I do put a few SB's on the table for the host & guests to flip through and point out that I am doing the recipe on page ** so they can check it out.

PChefRenee said:
I LOVE this idea...how cool! Unfortunately, I will have to just pass the idea on to others because I don't have handles on my cabinets.:( Thanks for the idea, though.

open the door slightly and hang it on the bottom shelf, then shut the door on the hanger. should work for you then!

1. How does using a skirt hanger help keep cookbooks close?

A skirt hanger has clips that can securely hold a cookbook open, making it easier to read and follow a recipe while cooking. This eliminates the need to constantly pick up and put down the cookbook, keeping it close at hand.

2. Can any type of skirt hanger be used for this tip?

Yes, any type of skirt hanger with clips will work. However, it is recommended to use a hanger with a sturdy grip to ensure the cookbook stays in place while cooking.

3. Will this tip work for all sizes of cookbooks?

Yes, this tip can work for cookbooks of all sizes. The clips on the skirt hanger can be adjusted to fit the width of the cookbook, providing a secure hold.

4. Can this tip be used for other types of books?

Yes, this tip can also be used for other types of books such as magazines or notebooks. It can be a helpful tool for keeping any type of reading material open and easily accessible.

5. Is there a specific way to hang the skirt hanger for maximum effectiveness?

It is recommended to hang the skirt hanger from a cabinet knob or hook at eye level for easy viewing while cooking. Make sure the cookbook is securely clipped onto the hanger and adjust the angle as needed for the best visibility.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • KellyTheChef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • RMDave