• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conflict of Interest? Need Advise!!!

In summary, the conversation discusses the ethical concerns of a volunteer who is also a director of a sports organization planning to do a PC fundraiser for the club. The volunteer is worried that parents may think she is trying to benefit herself and is seeking advice on the situation. Others in the conversation share their thoughts and suggest that the volunteer can donate all of her commission to avoid any negative perceptions. They also share their own experiences with successful fundraisers for different organizations.
pcnewbie72
I am one of the heads of a sports organization in my area. I am a director as well as handle the pictures and the fundraiser as well everyday running of the program for kids age 5-14. I have planned to do a PC fundraiser for the club and my name is all over the paper work as well as stating in the letter that goes home to parents that I will be donating a portion of my commision to the club.
Does anyone think that this is unethical and that the parents will think that I am trying to benefit myself? I have all the copies made and all the money for the catalogs as well as the paperwork is coming out of my pocket. Not sure if this makes sense but now I am starting to think that I am going to get a hard time for doing this.
Any thoughts or advise?
Thanks,
Allison

volunteerAre you a volunteer? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it. If someone is going to complain about you benefiting after giving your time, then they need to take the position. It's just one of the perks of the position - to promote your business.

If you are paid, I might think something negative if I got the paperwork with your name. I might still participate but have a questionable feeling about it....BEE

Yes I am totally volunteer!!!! I loose the rest of my time to soccer from now until June.
Thanks for that I feel much better now that I think of it.

I think it's a great idea. The PC fundraisers are great so you are doing a service in doing this fundraiser.

pcnewbie72 said:
I am one of the heads of a sports organization in my area. I am a director as well as handle the pictures and the fundraiser as well everyday running of the program for kids age 5-14. I have planned to do a PC fundraiser for the club and my name is all over the paper work as well as stating in the letter that goes home to parents that I will be donating a portion of my commision to the club.
Does anyone think that this is unethical and that the parents will think that I am trying to benefit myself? I have all the copies made and all the money for the catalogs as well as the paperwork is coming out of my pocket. Not sure if this makes sense but now I am starting to think that I am going to get a hard time for doing this.
Any thoughts or advise?
Thanks,
Allison

They won't think anything bad if you donate ALL of your commission since your own kids are benefiting from the soccer program too. You can chalk it up to goodwill (you'll have grateful parents, introduce them to PC, take the write-off and the points).

My director did that for her swim team. In addition to catalog sales, they had a cooking show-a-thon. Every day of the week for 6 nights they had a cooking show at a different person's house (who invited new and different guests) - since it was conseutive and she was donating all of her commission, they were able to get one large check to the team. I think they may have raffled the hostess 60% off item or perhaps my director took advantage of that, I'm not sure. While she gave all of her commission, it made a top-10 fundraisers for PC and she got all of those points! If you sell cookware, you'll get those cookware points too, and all bookings of course.

Good luck.
Susan

i am kind of in the same boat. our drama team at church has been doing alot of fundraisers and all have asked me about doing a PC one. i keep putting it off because i dont want the team or church thinking negative about me since they have always contributed one way or another on the past fundraisers. i would do what you think best for your business and the team. your gut feeling is the best one to follow.

its_me_susan said:
They won't think anything bad if you donate ALL of your commission since your own kids are benefiting from the soccer program too. You can chalk it up to goodwill (you'll have grateful parents, introduce them to PC, take the write-off and the points).

My director did that for her swim team. In addition to catalog sales, they had a cooking show-a-thon. Every day of the week for 6 nights they had a cooking show at a different person's house (who invited new and different guests) - since it was conseutive and she was donating all of her commission, they were able to get one large check to the team. I think they may have raffled the hostess 60% off item or perhaps my director took advantage of that, I'm not sure. While she gave all of her commission, it made a top-10 fundraisers for PC and she got all of those points! If you sell cookware, you'll get those cookware points too, and all bookings of course.

Good luck.
Susan

Thanks for the advise, I would love to donate all the commission, however, we are talking 0ver 200 children. That is alot of paper work to supply and not have the cost covered in someway. I am not asking the club at all to pay for this. So I can not commit to saying I am giving up all my commission.
Thanks to everyone for your great advise.
HAve a great day
Allison

pcnewbie72 said:
Thanks for the advise, I would love to donate all the commission, however, we are talking 0ver 200 children. That is alot of paper work to supply and not have the cost covered in someway. I am not asking the club at all to pay for this. So I can not commit to saying I am giving up all my commission.
Thanks to everyone for your great advise.
HAve a great day
Allison
I have done several fund-raisers for groups that I have been involved in and have donated my commission. I tell them upfront that my donation is minus my expenses and they always say "OF COURSE!". I just keep good track of the expenses. Remember catalogs, printing, mailings, etc. The only thing I don't expense is my time (volunteer there ;) ).

BethCooks4U said:
I have done several fund-raisers for groups that I have been involved in and have donated my commission. I tell them upfront that my donation is minus my expenses and they always say "OF COURSE!". I just keep good track of the expenses. Remember catalogs, printing, mailings, etc. The only thing I don't expense is my time (volunteer there ;) ).

Hi.
I volunteer all of my time for this organization, not just in the fundraising aspect. So there is no debate about the commitment there. :) That was the only part of the commission I was keeping was to cover the cost of paperwork extra.
Thanks for the great advise!
Allison

BethCooks4U said:

I meant minus expenses. My 1st fundraiser (in the October) has already booked a second one for April and is this time allowing me to do a show ~ I think the good-will created helped alot.

:)

I am an elementary school teacher in Florida and, in order to do a fundraiser at the school where I work, I had to donate ALL of my commission to the group. In fact, I even had to give a copy of my commission statement as proof of my commission! We are told that promoting a fundraiser for your business to a group of people with whom you work is unethical since you are profitting from a "captive audience." In effect, you are not giving them a choice other than to help you profit from your business.

If you are a volunteer with the organization, they will likely appreciate your efforts on there behalf and the ones who think its a conflict probably just won't participate...their loss.

Good luck with your fundraiser, my kids were so surprised when all these customers knew exactly what they were talking about when they said they were doing a PC fundraiser! And, we did great, over $3,000 in sales with a group of 20 kids. :)

:)
thanks for the answers everyone. I do feel better than before and have told a couple of the parents about it as well and not one person made a comment about it.
I will be donating all of the commision minus the cost of the catalogs only to show that I am not trying to profit anyway.
Thanks again to everyone, I will let you know how it makes out!
We are ending it on April 8th.

1. What is considered a conflict of interest at Pampered Chef?

A conflict of interest at Pampered Chef is any situation where an employee's personal or financial interests may interfere with their ability to make impartial and objective decisions on behalf of the company. This can include situations where an employee has a financial stake in a competitor, has outside business dealings that may compete with Pampered Chef, or has a personal relationship with a supplier or customer that could influence their decision-making.

2. How does Pampered Chef handle conflicts of interest?

Pampered Chef takes conflicts of interest very seriously and has policies and procedures in place to address them. This includes requiring employees to disclose any potential conflicts of interest, avoiding situations that could create a conflict, and recusing oneself from decision-making if a conflict does arise. Pampered Chef also has a designated ethics officer who oversees the management of conflicts of interest.

3. What should I do if I suspect a conflict of interest at Pampered Chef?

If you suspect a conflict of interest at Pampered Chef, it is important to report it to the designated ethics officer or your manager. You can also reach out to the Human Resources department for guidance. It is important to address potential conflicts of interest to maintain the integrity and fairness of decision-making at the company.

4. Can I have a side business while working at Pampered Chef?

Having a side business while working at Pampered Chef may be considered a conflict of interest, depending on the nature of the business and its relationship to Pampered Chef. It is important to disclose any outside business dealings and consult with the designated ethics officer to ensure there is no conflict of interest.

5. What are the consequences of not disclosing a conflict of interest at Pampered Chef?

Failure to disclose a conflict of interest at Pampered Chef can result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. It is important to be transparent and honest about any potential conflicts of interest to maintain the trust and integrity of the company.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• iteachncook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • raebates
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Hillary
  • msmileyface