• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conference Shuttle Info: Hours, Frequency, and Tips for Navigating the City

In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to transportation and accommodations for a conference in Chicago. The speakers discuss using shuttles to get around the city and possibly sharing cabs with others to save money. They also mention the importance of comfortable shoes for walking and navigating the city using maps. Some also mention their past experiences staying in different hotels and the convenience of staying near popular shopping areas. Finally, there is a question about shuttle availability on Monday, with confirmation that they do run throughout the day.
floccies
Is there any information on them? What have the hours and frequency been in past years?

What is the best way to get around in the city? My (2 directors up)cluster is meeting at a restaurant and I don't know my way around the city. I haven't made my reservations yet.

The shuttles run almost constantly all day long - you really don't have to worry about a schedule for them. I know it's scary if you haven't been before, but when you get there, you will see that they are very obvious and self-explanatory.

As for meeting at a restaurant, could you hook up with someone else from your group, and share a cab? I can't give you more info than that, because I don't know where you'll be staying, or where the restaurant is in conjunction to it....who knows, it could be a block down the street!

I believe that the shuttles ran every 15 minutes during down time and every 30 minutes during scheduled workshops/general sessions.

All I know is when I needed a shuttle back to the hotel (was at Sheraton)- they were usually stacked 3-4 deep...so waiting was not an issue. :) But I was traveling during the "peak" times that we were going from the hotel to the conference, and then back again in the evening/afternoon.As far as transport in the city, if you can't hook up with one of your cluster-mates (which would make more sense- to save cab fare!), then a cab is easy enough to come by or the concierge at your Hotel can give you the best advice on how to get to a particular place. Know in advance the address of the places you need so you can print off some maps with them clearly marked - your hotel, the restaurant, etc.

The shuttle only runs between the conference hotels and the conference center. If you stay at a different hotel then you have to walk to one ofe the conference hotels to catch the shuttle.
First year i stayed at the Hilton, which was nice, the shuttle made it easy to get to conference. But it was too far down on Michigan ave, so shopping was a pain.
LAst year stayed at a different waaay cheapar hotel which was woth it. Except we had baby spiders hatching outside the window and they made it inside throughout the day. The second room was not perfectly clean either, that we changed into from the spider room. We joined some other consultants in the Sheraton for the last night and yes It was the best ever. But it's hard to pay 200 a night for a room. I haven't decided this year where i will stay. I might stay in the cheaper hotel still. So this hotel was about 4 blocks from the Sheraton, almost on Michigan ave, a few blocks from the Disney store, and all the other major stores that i really wanted to go to. So it was great.

Downtown chicago is really easy to navigate. At the airport at the turist office desk they have some basic downtown maps that is easy to read and everything you need is on. So if you have to get somewhere and you have the address then just look it up. I googled a few places in adwance and printed a google map and directions at home.

The only really iportant thing you need is a VERY COMFORTABLE pair of shoes that you can wear for 4 days and not get tired in it. You will walk soooo much that is unbeliveable. It doesnt matter if it's not that pretty but it has to serve you all the way. And if your foot gets tired nobody will carry you back home. ;) And there still a mile at least to walk.

I took a cab only once with others, because it's expensive. I like the bus and other transportations. Last year i bought a 3 day pass at the apirport and used that all the 3 days to get around downtown.

Probably, you will share a hotel room with your cluster mates and go to the dinner at the restaurant together. So no need to worry about this now.

Zsuzsanna

Do shuttles run on Monday, too? My first time to Conference, staying at Best Western Grant Park. I want to check in to Conference on Monday and would like to avoid a taxi if possible.

twinmtngirl said:
Do shuttles run on Monday, too? My first time to Conference, staying at Best Western Grant Park. I want to check in to Conference on Monday and would like to avoid a taxi if possible.

Yes, there are things going on all day Monday at McCormick, and registration will be open, so shuttles will be running.

Cool, thanks! That was the weak link in my itinerary. Good to know!

Chicago has a pretty sweet public transportation system (which no one seems to be mentioning) and you might want to look into it. We call it a metro here, but I think they refer to it as a train or something. Anywho... chances are you can hop on that from the airport and get to your hotel (especially if you are flying into Midway). Someone mentioned the bus, which is always a great option... just be sure you have a map!!!

pamperedchef.em said:
Chicago has a pretty sweet public transportation system (which no one seems to be mentioning) and you might want to look into it. We call it a metro here, but I think they refer to it as a train or something. Anywho... chances are you can hop on that from the airport and get to your hotel (especially if you are flying into Midway). Someone mentioned the bus, which is always a great option... just be sure you have a map!!!

One set of trains is the Metra. The other, I think is referred to as the 'L', not sure the official name. Buses- yes..DEFINITELY have a map...It's confusing if you aren't familiar with bus systems in a big city. This site will hook you up with info on all the transportation options OTHER than the Free Shuttles for PC. http://www.chicagotraveler.com/chicago_transportation.htm

BUT the Conference SHuttles really ARE the best way to go- because they are FREE, and you don't have to change buses or anything. Point A to Point B...plus lots of friendly people to talk to/network with. :)

And you can get a PC SHuttle from the Airport- go to the National Conference Page on CC, and check out "Getting Around".

1. What is the schedule for the conference shuttles?

The conference shuttle schedule varies depending on the event and location. Please check the event itinerary or contact the event organizer for more information.

2. Are there any additional fees for using the conference shuttles?

No, the conference shuttles are free for all attendees of the event.

3. Can I bring a guest on the conference shuttle?

Yes, guests are welcome to ride the conference shuttles as long as there is enough space available and they have a valid event ticket.

4. How do I request a special accommodation for the conference shuttle?

If you require a special accommodation, such as a wheelchair accessible shuttle, please contact the event organizer at least 2 weeks prior to the event to make arrangements.

5. Are the conference shuttles equipped with Wi-Fi?

Some conference shuttles may have Wi-Fi available, but it is not guaranteed for all events. Please check with the event organizer or shuttle driver for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Bobby
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
Kim1711
  • raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Stampaholic1961