1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Computer crashed... shows lost

1. ChefMary412

ChefMary412 Advanced Member

So, my netbook crashed and I have lost all my info from shows since May... what should I do????
    I know I can look up my purchases since I have the reciepts printed.. but what now?

Jan 13, 2010
  2. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Man, I wish I had an answer for you. I'm guessing you didn't back up the info. Right?

Jan 13, 2010
  3. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

If you haven't restored your computer yet, you can try taking it somewhere to see if they can do data recovery.

If you can't get the data back, you can key everything in so that you have the record in P3, but you can't submit them again, so they'll have the red dots next to them.

Jan 13, 2010
  4. lockhartkitchen

lockhartkitchen Senior Member

If you only have a handful of shows lost, I would do what Noora suggested, so you have contact information and product information. If it was quite a few shows, you'll want to have a data recovery done on it. Depending on the documents, it may be able to be pulled by a professional locally. My husband does this for a living, but if the documents are "too lost" (I don't know the technical word) you will have to send your hard drive to a clean room. They have a dust free, anti-static room, etc. I had to do this and it cost $200. (only because they "gave" me a teacher discount).

5. akrebecca

akrebecca Rebecca M. Silver Member

Call tech support! I had the same situation & they were able to 'fix' my shows so they were submitted.

I keep meaning to check to see if Pampered Chef is partnered with an online back up service.

Jan 14, 2010
  6. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

If you don't re-write over the data, nothing is truly "gone". ;)

Take out the hard drive, put it in an external reader & plug it into any working computer with the same operating system (Windows or MAC) and you can still read the data & do a backup on an external drive. The one my husband bought was about $45. :D

Jan 14, 2010
  7. Monty060609

Monty060609 Member

Depending on what caused the crash, software or hardware failure-All of these data recovery suggestions are correct, BUT it will only work IF you backed up P3. If all the info is stil lin the program you won't be able to recover it (almost 100% positive). But if you backed up the files you WILL be able to get those (and any other) files off of the hard drive. And there are a couple of different ways to do that.

So before you try anything at all find someone who is familiar with computers and see what they say. If you take it to Staples or Best Buy for tech support, don't 100% trust them. They are in the business of selling computers not fixing them. I'm not saying they can't help, just that they will try one or two things and if that doesn't work they will tell you there is nothing they can do.

Jan 14, 2010
  8. Sheila

My method will work if you haven't tried to clean the hard drive & start over. ;)

It would be the same as if you had your program on a jump drive and accessing it from the library, work, in-laws house, etc. By plugging the hard drive into an external reader and then into a working computer, you have essentially just made it an external drive for data storage and should be able to open it, click on the P3 folder, open the P3 program and do a backup to a jump drive that you can then "restore from" on a new computer. ;)

Jan 14, 2010
  9. Sheila

Or if you still have a static free wrapper, you can mail the hard drive to me. I'll put it in my reader, make a back up copy for you & send it back. ;)

Jan 14, 2010
  10. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

P3 does make its own back up files. If you call Tech Support, they can tell you what folder the files are in, so that you can tell whoever is doing your data recover where to find them (if they're still there).

Jan 14, 2010
  11. Monty060609

Monty060609 Member

yes yes that is correct, duh on me! I actually have one of those. My best friend made me an external hard drive out of one that belongs inside a computer.

Jan 14, 2010
Have something to add?