• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Comparing Skimmer & Strainer Sizes: Expert Advice Needed

In summary, a skimmer is a flat, shallow utensil used for lifting solid foods out of liquids, while a strainer is a bowl-shaped utensil with small holes used for draining liquids from solids. Skimmers and strainers come in a variety of sizes, ranging from small handheld versions to larger ones with longer handles for reaching into deep pots. The size you choose will depend on the type of food you will be cooking and the size of the pot or pan you will be using. It is recommended to have a few different sizes on hand to accommodate different recipes and cooking needs. Skimmers and strainers can be made of various materials such as stainless steel, mesh, or silicone. To properly clean and maintain your skimmer and str
rosecrystalcat
Gold Member
I am fairly new and have a customer asking if the skimmer is smaller than the 5" strainer. In the research I ahve done, it looks like they are for 2 different purposes. Does anyone have the diameter demtions for the skimmer?

Any advise you could offer to this customer.

Thanks so much,
Beckie

The skimmer and the 5 inch strainer are just about the same size - when I held them up to each other, the strainer is maybe 1/4 inch wider than the skimmer.

The strainer has a much deeper "basket", and the skimmer has a MUCH finer mesh - it'll clog if you try to remove lots of stuff from, say, broth/stock. It's fine for getting foam/debris off the top of the broth, though - much better than a strainer.

I use the skimmer while making soup to get the fine stuff off the top that can make the soup cloudy. When everything is done, I use the strainer to remove the "stuff" I used to make the soup (chicken bones, veggies, etc)

Thank you Melissa

What is the difference between a skimmer and a strainer?

A skimmer is a flat, shallow utensil used for lifting solid foods out of liquids, while a strainer is a bowl-shaped utensil with small holes used for draining liquids from solids.

What sizes are available for skimmers and strainers?

Skimmers and strainers come in a variety of sizes, ranging from small handheld versions to larger ones with longer handles for reaching into deep pots.

Which size should I choose for my skimmer or strainer?

The size you choose will depend on the type of food you will be cooking and the size of the pot or pan you will be using. It is recommended to have a few different sizes on hand to accommodate different recipes and cooking needs.

What materials are skimmers and strainers typically made of?

Skimmers and strainers can be made of various materials such as stainless steel, mesh, or silicone. Stainless steel is the most common and durable option, while mesh and silicone are more flexible and can be used in non-stick cookware.

How do I properly clean and maintain my skimmer and strainer?

To properly clean and maintain your skimmer and strainer, it is best to hand wash them with warm soapy water and dry them thoroughly. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals that can damage the material. If possible, store them in a dry place to prevent rust or corrosion.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• trps
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
doughmama
  • IAmChefJ
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jen1409
  • traci davis