• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cleaning up a Messy Jamaican Jerk Rub Microwave Mishap!

In summary, Debbie made the 30 minute chicken using a rub, cover, and different seasonings in the cavity. Her director made the chicken without any of these things and it was rubbery and yucky.
pcchris
Silver Member
Had to share this...had a show last weekend Feb 24), made the 30 minute chicken in the DCB. All was going well until I wen to take the chick out of the microwave. There was Jamaican Jerk Rub EVERYWHERE in my host's microwave! :eek: I made this at home, and had No problem with it. I could have died. I thought something was funky when I opened the mic door, and it looked like it was snowing (wrong color, but looked like it). Has this happened to anyone else? I rubbed oil on chicken first...maybe did I use too much seasoning? I don't know what happened, but it was a pain to clean up.
Tasted good though. Actually sold a DCB at the show, so not too bad! I think I may have posted this already, because it's all deja vu right now. so if this is a double post, sorry!

I am a little confused. Did you have the cover off? I know directions have varied about covering or not. I have made the 30 min chicken about 5 times now (always covered) with no problems. Maybe to prevent messes in the future you could use the cover if you're not doing that. Did the host say anything about the 'jerk' snow?

I have always covered mine too. I think it keeps the steam going around inside and helps to soften the potatoes and carrots that I put in with it.

Same here...I've tried it like 5 or 6 times covered NEVER a problem. When HO came out with thier version, I tried it their way & half way through it didnt look right, so I covered it & it came out GREAT.....;) ;) ;)

I made this for the first time, but my hubby said the chicken didnt have enough flavor....like it didnt have time to "sink in" to the chicken...if that makes sense. how do you make the chicken itself more flavorful??

Marinate
myscript22 said:
I made this for the first time, but my hubby said the chicken didnt have enough flavor....like it didnt have time to "sink in" to the chicken...if that makes sense. how do you make the chicken itself more flavorful??

Maybe rub the chicken with the rubs and spices and let it marinate in the fridge overnight. I like to use certain marinades I buy in packs from the store or just a home made recipe. This works really great for sealing in flavor and keeping it juicy.
My director made this in the micro at her home but I think it was uncovered and the skin was rubbery and yucky.
She did pass out a sheet for us on how an upline person makes the chicken and then instead of letting everyone eat that, she uses the cooked chicken breasts for other recipes!
It was a great idea! Let us know how it turns out.
Debbie :D

leave the top on...and also make sure to put seasonings into the cavity.

my SD told me that you were supposed to cook it uncovered, so that's what I did! I didn't understand, because when I made it at home (in my not spotless microwavy..LOL), it didn't do that! Oh well! And no, she said nothing about it, because I made sure to clean it up!
She actaully kind of giggled about it, and I told her I would clean it up. It was kind of embarrassing though! Does it take any longer to cook covered?

myscript22 said:

Besides the spices on the outside...I took all kinds of things to liven up the inside...I cut up a fresh orange,lime,lemon...squeezed the juices inside & then put them in also some whole fresh Garlic & onions....HTH

The first one I cooked, I had the cover off. It seemed like the fat in the skin got hot and popped ALL OVER the microwave. There was grease everywhere, but the spices didn't go all over. Actually, right this minute I am making my second one in the micro and I used our new BBQ rub and I am cooking it with the cover ON. It just finished this second, and I checked the temp- it is cooked all the way at 30 minutes on 90% power. This is a 5 pound chicken. The last one (that made a MESS in the microwave with the cover off) took about 50 MINUTES to cook all the way through...so this saves on time AND no mess!!

BTW, I also add the seasonings to the cavity of the chicken, too, and that helps all of the chicken taste so good!

Last edited:
KellyTheChef said:
The first one I cooked, I had the cover off. It seemed like the fat in the skin got hot and popped ALL OVER the microwave. There was grease everywhere, but the spices didn't go all over. Actually, right this minute I am making my second one in the micro and I used our new BBQ rub and I am cooking it with the cover ON. It just finished this second, and I checked the temp- it is cooked all the way at 30 minutes on 90% power. This is a 5 pound chicken. The last one (that made a MESS in the microwave with the cover off) took about 50 MINUTES to cook all the way through...so this saves on time AND no mess!!

BTW, I also add the seasonings to the cavity of the chicken, too, and that helps all of the chicken taste so good!

EXACTLY!!!!;) :cool:

I always cover mine just cuz I don't want microwave-spatter. Next time cover it :)

Awesome! thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!

Also to add flavor to the meat peel back the skin and rub the spices/marinade directly on the meat. Don't take the skin off just peel it back so you can squeeze your fingers in there. Yummy!

I rub down the chicken with whatever seasoning that I'm using and then I put an onion and garlic in the cavity.....it always has turned out good! I've rubbed it down with the garlic oil and then put on the garlic rub too. That was good. I put onions and carrots around it too! Turns out great! Yes, don't forget to turn the meat back....that really gives it flavor!

Tell me exactly what kind of chicken you all are buying? I've bought the smaller ones (3-4lb), but I don't think they'd be as good as one that says "ROASTING" chicken. So, what are you all buying? TIA!

Sherrie, I just use a regulas chicken. I don't think I've ever looked at what type of chicken it is, it's just a chicken!
Usually 4-5 lbs.

Thanks for the tip. I think I may actually buy one that says "roasting" chicken this time. I tried it even in the oven, and it STILL wasn't as good as the one my neighbor roasted. You know...everything tastes better when YOU don't cook it...LOL! But -- I want MINE to taste good, too.

spoiledchef said:
Thanks for the tip. I think I may actually buy one that says "roasting" chicken this time. I tried it even in the oven, and it STILL wasn't as good as the one my neighbor roasted. You know...everything tastes better when YOU don't cook it...LOL! But -- I want MINE to taste good, too.

I buy 4-6 pound ones. I have tried all different types, whatever is on sale. I like the Smart Chickens best.

Sorry if this sounds silly...but what's a Smart Chicken? TIA

I just googled Smart Chicken. It said, air chilled, hormone and antibiotic free chicken.

OMG! That's so funny! I buy Smart Chicken! They just look much better than the other ones. I also like the fact that the Smart Chicken I buy had no giblets! I HATE those things when you have to pull them out of the chicken....ick, gross, sick! so that's why I buy smart chickens. (Technically, I guess they're not too smart, or they wouldn't be for sale in the grocery store!) (it's late....sorry!)

1. How do I clean up a Jamaican Jerk Rub microwave mishap?

To clean up a Jamaican Jerk Rub microwave mishap, first unplug the microwave and let it cool down. Then, mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it for 5 minutes. The steam from the mixture will loosen the sticky residue. Carefully remove the bowl and wipe down the inside of the microwave with a damp cloth or paper towel. Repeat if necessary, and then dry with a clean cloth.

2. Can I use regular soap and water to clean the mess?

No, it is not recommended to use regular soap and water to clean a Jamaican Jerk Rub microwave mishap. The spices and oils in the rub can react with the soap and create a sticky residue that is difficult to clean. It is best to use a mixture of water and vinegar to effectively remove the mess.

3. What if the mess has hardened and is difficult to clean?

If the Jamaican Jerk Rub mess has hardened and is difficult to clean, you can try using a microwave-safe bowl filled with hot water and a few drops of dish soap. Place it in the microwave and heat for 2-3 minutes. This will create steam that will loosen the residue, making it easier to wipe away.

4. Is it safe to use a scrubbing pad or abrasive cleaner to clean the microwave?

No, it is not safe to use a scrubbing pad or abrasive cleaner to clean a microwave. These can scratch or damage the surface of the microwave, making it more difficult to clean in the future. Stick to using gentle cleaning methods, such as the water and vinegar mixture, to avoid damaging your microwave.

5. How can I prevent a Jamaican Jerk Rub microwave mishap from happening again?

To prevent a Jamaican Jerk Rub microwave mishap, make sure to always cover your food when heating it in the microwave. This will help contain any splatters and spills. Additionally, avoid using too much rub on your food, as excess spices can easily spill and cause a mess in the microwave.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Dotty
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • JAE
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jenf
  • nikked