• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Christmas Treat Ideas and Gingerbread Cookie Dough Recipe - Help Needed!

In summary, Beth is in need of help with Christmas baking. She has a list of things she would like to make, but does not have the time to do them all. She has invited the other ladies to come and visit her.
erica177311
Hi ladies! I am in desperate need of your help :eek: !

This is my first year that I am really on my own to do my Christmas treats for my friends and family, and I have NO ideas as to what to make! What are some things that you put on your own goodie plates? Also, does anyone have a gingerbread cookie dough recipe?

TIA - You are all wonderful! :p

I do: Cornflake/marshmallow wreaths, sugar cookies (cut outs), brandy wreaths, fudge, spritz wreaths, sunshine kisses, pumpkin spice cookies, carmel pecan turtles, ginger cranberry pinwheels, lime spritz cookies, biscotti, peanut butter cups, meringue cookies, chocolate covered cherries... and breads (mini-loaves - pumpkin, carrot, banana and cranberry). I'm sure I'm missing a couple of the cookies I do - haven't done many yet this year. I also make the poinsettia cakes.

It makes a pretty plate with a bread or cake in the center and the cookies and candies all around.

PS: I've tried gingerbread recipes but haven't found one we have to have yet.

Um...Beth...when can I pick up my plate? :)

erinyourpclady said:
Um...Beth...when can I pick up my plate? :)

Yeah, yeah..me too???

Beth could you mail me a care package? My DH would greatly appreciate it. He complains that every year I do less and less baking.

Yummy Molasses Cookies!Grandmama Genevieve's' Famous Molasses Cookies

1 1/2 c Shortening
2 c Sugar
1/2 c Molasses
2 Eggs
4 c Flour
4 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground Cloves
1 Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Tsp Salt
1/4 c sugar (for dipping)

Mix wet ingredients. Add in the dry ingredients, mix well. Chill dough for 1 hour. Roll dough into small balls and dip one side into sugar. Place sugar side up onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes 375*. Cool on wire rack.

BethCooks4U said:
I do: Cornflake/marshmallow wreaths, sugar cookies (cut outs), brandy wreaths, fudge, spritz wreaths, sunshine kisses, pumpkin spice cookies, carmel pecan turtles, ginger cranberry pinwheels, lime spritz cookies, biscotti, peanut butter cups, meringue cookies, chocolate covered cherries... and breads (mini-loaves - pumpkin, carrot, banana and cranberry). I'm sure I'm missing a couple of the cookies I do - haven't done many yet this year. I also make the poinsettia cakes.

It makes a pretty plate with a bread or cake in the center and the cookies and candies all around.

PS: I've tried gingerbread recipes but haven't found one we have to have yet.

Beth, are you related to my cousin, lol. I think she starts in making candies and everything right after Thanksgiving. I think that when I do get to go visit them (they live in Texas) for Christmas that I gain 20 pounds. And my parents always go so when I don't get to they bring me back a BIG bag of stuff, YUMMY. She usually makes peanut butter balls, rum balls (if her mom makes them, watch out, lol), peanut brittle, peanut patties, all kinds of fudge, cookies, I can't remember the rest right now, but I know she makes at least 15 different things, I probably can't remember the rest because it's not the things that I eat all of, lol.

This year I have got my hands full, I decided that I would do a mug, hot drink mixes and baked goodies for my staff. I have a staff of 25 so I'm starting my baking tonight and will work through the week until our Christmas party next Sunday. Oh and I'm having the gang come to my house:eek: I have decided on 18 different items. Just have to figure out where to put it all!!

Sorry guys. But if you want to stop by there'll be a plate out!

My mother and I always make: Chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies (some decorated, some not), mexican wedding cookies, snickerdoodles, peanut butter cookies, date-nut pinwheels, raisen cookies, chocolate mint dipped cookies, bon bons, gingerbread cookies, pecan pies and pretzel salad. I'm sure I'm leaving out some stuff too.

Wow!So Beth, where can I get some of those awesome recipes lol. I would love to wow everyone - so far the extent of my Christmas baking includes chocolate covered pretzels:D

erica177311 said:
So Beth, where can I get some of those awesome recipes lol. I would love to wow everyone - so far the extent of my Christmas baking includes chocolate covered pretzels:D
I will post them as soon as I have a chance. I have a show today and tomorrow's busy (church, baking...). Hopefully I'll get them here on Monday.

Thanks for asking.

OK Beth....well I checked and it is ONLY 200 miles or so to you and all those goodies. VERY tempting!! LOL!!!

erinyourpclady said:
OK Beth....well I checked and it is ONLY 200 miles or so to you and all those goodies. VERY tempting!! LOL!!!
Glad to have you! Just call first so I can be sure to be here.

thechefofnorthbend said:
Grandmama Genevieve's' Famous Molasses Cookies

1 1/2 c Shortening
2 c Sugar
1/2 c Molasses
2 Eggs
4 c Flour
4 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground Cloves
1 Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Tsp Salt
1/4 c sugar (for dipping)

Mix wet ingredients. Add in the dry ingredients, mix well. Chill dough for 1 hour. Roll dough into small balls and dip one side into sugar. Place sugar side up onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes 375*. Cool on wire rack.

Okay Darby - are these chewy or crunchy Molasses Cookies??? I had a friend in Elementary School who used to bring the most wonderful chewy molasses cookies to school for lunch....I would trade her ANYTHING to get those cookies, and even had her give me the recipe..(I was obsessed with cooking even in the 3rd grade!) but somewhere along the way I lost the recipe...I think they were called "Molasses Crinkles" and they were so chewy and good....I'd love to recreate them!

This year I am making the Sweet and Flaky Almond Pretzels from the Cooking for 2 or More book (they are yummy!), Butter Cookies (decorated Christmas Cookies), Puppy Chow,Caramel Corn, Quick Breads, and Hot Cocoa Mix.

We are doing something different for our younger nieces and nephews - we are doing a "Family Present" of a Game Night for them - each family will receive a game (BLOKUS - our family's favorite) and snacks for a family fun night - so instead of all cookies, I'm throwing in the snack mixes and Hot Cocoa mix too!

I just had the best cookies last night and they are so simple to make!!!

Make a peanut butter sandwich between 2 ritz crackers and melt some chocolate chips and dip the cracker sandwiches in the chocolate and cover them totally. Let them dry on wax paper. SO YUMMY!!!!:D

We used to make those, but haven't in a long time!

chefkristin said:
I just had the best cookies last night and they are so simple to make!!!

Make a peanut butter sandwich between 2 ritz crackers and melt some chocolate chips and dip the cracker sandwiches in the chocolate and cover them totally. Let them dry on wax paper. SO YUMMY!!!!:D

Hey...that's my secret family recipe!!!

I have been making there for years and always laugh when people ask me for the recipe. I just say, old family secret.. I would have to kill you if I told you!!

But you are right.. these are sooooo yummy. Just like the girl scout peanut butter patties. I make some with milk chocolate and some with dark chocolate. Husband had the great idea of trying them with the mini ritz peanut butter sandwich ones.

PamperChefCarol said:
Hey...that's my secret family recipe!!!

I have been making there for years and always laugh when people ask me for the recipe. I just say, old family secret.. I would have to kill you if I told you!!

But you are right.. these are sooooo yummy. Just like the girl scout peanut butter patties. I make some with milk chocolate and some with dark chocolate. Husband had the great idea of trying them with the mini ritz peanut butter sandwich ones.

LOL...Hey thats MY family secret!!;)

I add a dab of marshmallw creme to mine...mmmmmmmmm

So all of you veteran pbsandwich cookie makers how do you keep the friggin things from sliding apart, that is the problem we had when making these years ago and I haven't actually made them since.

Okay, here are the recipes I promised.

Edited 12/16: I removed the attachment because of an error on a recipe. The corrected attachment appears later in this thread. Sorry about the error.

Last edited:
Candy cane cookies (I do some with green instead of red and make wreathes as well as the candy canes) http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?recipeId=34180 are one of my families favorite cookies for me to bring when I visit in December.

Wow! Thanks a ton Beth...You must be in the kitchen all day baking around the holidays!

I am usually DONE with my holiday baking by now (usually start in October and just fill the freezer), but I have only done one thing! My typical holiday bake list includes: Pumpkin Bars, Cranberry Chip Cookies (with fresh crnaberries, not dried, and pistachios), Triple Ginger Cookies, Cream Cheese Spritz, and Fruitcake. Yeah- I know- most people hate fruitcake. But I managed to find a recipe that tastes a lot like what my Grandmother made when I was a kid. That's the one thing I've made this year, because I have to let it age for a month in brandy-soaked cheesecloth. (Gotta love a recipe that starts out: Combine raisins and currants with 1/2 cup brandy and let sit overnight.)

I usually pick a couple of things to make each weekend.

I made Caramel Coconut Pies and Sausage balls the first weekend.

This weekend I was too busy to bake. Me and my husband went out to eat Saturday night on our annual Christmas night out to an old antebellum house that is now a restaurant. I am doing Meatballs in the crock pot tonight.

I did the Rachel Ray snacks on the back of the Ritz box last night.

I will make sugar cookies and ham roll ups at some point. I will probably do the Artichoke Spinach dip too.

We have a social at church this weekend that I have not decided what to take yet.

I am baking Christmas Tree cakes for my little boy's baby sitter party next week using Reynolds pans that are shaped like trees.

I have annual baking days with a couple of my friends and with my daughter, and with each person, we have different things we make. I bake biscotti with 1 friend, make buckeyes and dipped pretzels with my daughter, and toffee bars with another friend. This year, I am teaching my brother how to make biscotti. I enjoy the traditions.

This may be a dumb question, but for those of you that bake ahead of time....how do you store your cookies? Freezer? I plan on baking on the 23rd ALL DAY, as I give cookies as gifts in tins and also use them for Christmas Eve dessert. Would love to bake some ahead of time if they will still come out as well to save time!!

SusanBP0129 said:
This may be a dumb question, but for those of you that bake ahead of time....how do you store your cookies? Freezer? I plan on baking on the 23rd ALL DAY, as I give cookies as gifts in tins and also use them for Christmas Eve dessert. Would love to bake some ahead of time if they will still come out as well to save time!!

You can bake most cookies ahead and freeze them.....another thing I like to do is make the dough ahead of time, shape or roll the cookies, freeze them and store them to bake fresh just before Christmas.....I like them better this way, and I find that is the most time-consuming part of baking the treats! Just make a batch or two of dough whenever you have time!

ChefBeckyD said:
You can bake most cookies ahead and freeze them.....another thing I like to do is make the dough ahead of time, shape or roll the cookies, freeze them and store them to bake fresh just before Christmas.....I like them better this way, and I find that is the most time-consuming part of baking the treats! Just make a batch or two of dough whenever you have time!

GREAT! ...and it doesn't affect the taste? ....or how long you bake them? Do you thaw them in the fridge? This will make my life MUCH easier!!

erica177311 said:
Wow! Thanks a ton Beth...You must be in the kitchen all day baking around the holidays!
I usually do a marathon two day bake-a-thon. DH brings home dinner because he knows I won't be stopping for anything like that. The rule has always been no one touches anything except the rejects until everything is done so I get lots of cooperation on those days.

This year I am behind and don't have the full two days at once but we're coping.

Once again, I will be making Chex Muddy Buddies (some call it Puppy Chow) ....mmmmm! I might try throwing some red and green candy sprinkles into the powdered sugar so that it looks festive!Ingredients:9 cups Chex cereals (Corn, Rice and/or Wheat)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup margarine
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
Directions:
1. Pour cereals into large bowl; set aside.2. In 1-quart microwave-safe bowl combine semi-sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter, and margarine. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring after 1 minute. Stir in vanilla.3. Pour chocolate mixture over cereals, stirring until all pieces are evenly coated. Pour cereal mixture into a large resealable plastic bag with powdered sugar. Seal securely and shake until all pieces are well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool.

MMMMMMMMMMM Puppy Chow!!! I hadn't had that in so long that the last time we had a pot luck at work someone brought some I had to get a plate of it, lol, of course I wasn't the only one eating it, but it was so good.

I found a great magazine at Walmart a few days ago. It's called Better Homes and Gardens Cookies. I think it's in it's 3rd reprint, but worth the $5 if you don't have it! It has 100 cookie recipies and lots of tips. The only thing I didn't like was they said they don't recommend using stoneware to bake cookies because they don't brown on the bottom and it takes longer, but all the great recipes more than make up for that downfall!

mom2leelee said:
I found a great magazine at Walmart a few days ago. It's called Better Homes and Gardens Cookies. I think it's in it's 3rd reprint, but worth the $5 if you don't have it! It has 100 cookie recipies and lots of tips. The only thing I didn't like was they said they don't recommend using stoneware to bake cookies because they don't brown on the bottom and it takes longer, but all the great recipes more than make up for that downfall!
They haven't used our stones then! I make ALL my cookies on them and they brown just fine - just no burnt bottoms! As far as taking longer... maybe the first batch is a minute or two longer because the stone's not warm but after that it actually takes LESS time.

I would use your stones for those recipes and not worry!

BethCooks4U said:
They haven't used our stones then! I make ALL my cookies on them and they brown just fine - just no burnt bottoms! As far as taking longer... maybe the first batch is a minute or two longer because the stone's not warm but after that it actually takes LESS time.

I agree 100%! I never use anything but stoneware for cookies and mine turn out fine! In fact, my oven is so futzy (off by as much as 75 degrees) that I wouldn't even attempt to bake anything except in stoneware. When I use the mini muffin pan, I keep a real close eye on the temp and check everything a couple of minutes early.

SusanBP0129 said:
GREAT! ...and it doesn't affect the taste? ....or how long you bake them? Do you thaw them in the fridge? This will make my life MUCH easier!!

It doesn't affect the taste - just make sure they are tightly sealed....I freeze them on cookie sheets(those old metal sheets are good for some things;) )and once they are frozen, I put them in freezer containers. When I want to bake, I take them out, and put them on parchment paper....let them thaw for about 15 minutes, and then start baking......do the lower oven temp cookies first. I just slide them with the parchment right onto the stone and pop 'em in the oven! Bake them for the regular amount of time!

I do this thru out the year too.....make a big batch of chocolate chip cookies, scoop them out, freeze them, and then just bake 1-2 dozen at a time....so we can always have freh baked cookies! (My hubbie and I both think that cookies lose something after a couple of days!)

jdavis said:
So all of you veteran pbsandwich cookie makers how do you keep the friggin things from sliding apart, that is the problem we had when making these years ago and I haven't actually made them since.

Jennifer,
I haven't made these, but I would think that if you pop them in the freezer for 15 or so minutes before baking them, that would help them stay together??

Thank you Becky!!
ChefBeckyD said:
It doesn't affect the taste - just make sure they are tightly sealed....I freeze them on cookie sheets(those old metal sheets are good for some things;) )and once they are frozen, I put them in freezer containers. When I want to bake, I take them out, and put them on parchment paper....let them thaw for about 15 minutes, and then start baking......do the lower oven temp cookies first. I just slide them with the parchment right onto the stone and pop 'em in the oven! Bake them for the regular amount of time!

I do this thru out the year too.....make a big batch of chocolate chip cookies, scoop them out, freeze them, and then just bake 1-2 dozen at a time....so we can always have freh baked cookies! (My hubbie and I both think that cookies lose something after a couple of days!)

Thank you! This will be a real time saver! Are there any doughs that DO NOT freeze well? And I must scoop them as opposed to freezing the whole ball of dough, yes?

BethCooks4U said:

Oh, I always use my stones to bake my cookies, I was just saying I didn't like the fact that they discouraged people to do it. I ALWAYS get compliments on my cookies since I started using our stones!!

Freezing dough: yes, scoop/shape it before freezing. Then you don't have to wait for it to thaw before cooking. It may take a couple extra minutes to bake, but it's still better than waiting 3 hours for that big lump of dough to thaw before you can scoop out individual cookies.
Most doughs will freeze well, but very delicate or meringue-based ones may not. Generally, today's cookbooks indicate which recipes freeze well (although that's usually once they're baked).

Freezing cookies: Check the recipe book. Most will tell you if a cookie will freeze well. Don't frost them until you thaw them out. I always over-protect mine in the freezer: large plastic storage container with a layer of waxed paper between the cookies, full to the top (less air space), topped with another piece of waxed paper. Sometimes I wrap the container in foil if it's going to be in the freezer more than a month.

Other timesaver: A former coworker of mine does this... One of the most time-consuming parts of baking is getting out all the ingredients and measuring everything accurately. So she plans one afternoon when all she does is measure dry ingredients. She labels gallon-size plastic bags with the recipe names and measures the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, spices, etc.) into them. Then all she has to do is the "wet works" (to borrow a phrase from "Good Eats"), and mix it all together.

Another easy and very yummy recipeSnowballsEstimated Times:
Preparation - 10 min | Cooking - 10 min | Cooling Time - 10 min cooling | Yields - 60 cookies (5 dozen) Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels
1 sprinkle of powdered sugarDirections:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.BEAT butter, sugar, vanilla extract and salt in large mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in flour; stir in morsels. Shape level tablespoons of dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets.BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set and lightly browned. Remove from oven. Sift powdered sugar over hot cookies on baking sheets. Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar if desired. Store in airtight containers.

A Great EASY recipe!Oh! Here is one I forgot about - my 2 yr old and I made it yesterday - it is addictive - and very festive looking!

White Chocolate Crunch

4 Cups Crispix (or some kind of chex)
3 Cups Cherrios
2 Cups Plain M&M's (use the Christmas ones)
2 Cups peanuts
1 bag white chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients together. Melt chips, and stir into dry mixture to coat. Spread on waxed paper(used parchment) and let harden. Break apart and store in airtight container.

White Chocolate Crunch

I just made this last weekend. I threw in some Craisins and tiny twist pretzels, too. It is addictive!!

Diane

dianevill said:
White Chocolate Crunch

I just made this last weekend. I threw in some Craisins and tiny twist pretzels, too. It is addictive!!

Diane

I had actually thought about some dried cherries - We will be making at least 2 more batches before Christmas......I'll have to try that and some pretzels too! :D

OOPS! I just got a call from a fellow cheffer! There is apparently a mistake on one one the recipes that I posted. - The Cranberry Bread. I will check what I posted with the original recipe and let you know the correction as soon as I can. Then I'll repost the doc with the corrected information so any one who would want it in the future has the correct information.

Sorry!

Beth
Thanks so much for all those recipes. I plan to try some of those especially the breads in the small stoneware loaf pan for some holiday gifts. I have not used that pan yet so do you recommend just spraying oil with the spritzer for the first use?
Thanks, Sandy

jetcitysandy said:
Beth
Thanks so much for all those recipes. I plan to try some of those especially the breads in the small stoneware loaf pan for some holiday gifts. I have not used that pan yet so do you recommend just spraying oil with the spritzer for the first use?
Thanks, Sandy
Absolutely! You do need to spray them with oil until they get seasoned.

Don't forget to change the baking times when making breads in the smaller pans - it takes less time because volume is less.

ChefBeckyD said:
Jennifer,
I haven't made these, but I would think that if you pop them in the freezer for 15 or so minutes before baking them, that would help them stay together??

Regarding my "family secret" recipe of the Ritz peanut butter sandwich dipped in chocolate: I don't seem to have a problem with them sliding apart when I am dipping them. I just make sure the chocolate is ready and then dip away. Don't leave the cracker sandwiches in the chocolate too long, just long enough to get them covered then out to waxed or parchment paper.

HTH.

tlennhoff said:
Candy cane cookies (I do some with green instead of red and make wreathes as well as the candy canes) http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?recipeId=34180 are one of my families favorite cookies for me to bring when I visit in December.

This is my FAVORITE cookie! I don't care what else my mom makes as long as she makes these!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies