• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Choosing Not to Participate: A Small Business Owner's Secret to Success

In summary, the conversation revolves around the impact of attitude on one's life and business success. The participants shared their own experiences and perspectives on how attitude can make or break a person's success, especially in times of economic downturn. They also discussed a success story of a small retail businessman who chose not to participate in the bad economy and how it motivated them to work harder and stay positive in their own businesses. The conversation also included quotes and personal stories related to the power of attitude and its role in achieving goals and dreams. Overall, the participants encouraged each other to have a positive attitude and take control of their own success.
pampered.chris
Gold Member
So I think everyone has expressed concern about the economy. I also have been sucked into this "trap". I feel like since everyone is hurting than everyone will say no to buying, hosting and taking up the business opportunity. I have only mentioned once or twice that I also have another DS company. The other one is just for me and my friends. However, in the January newsletter there was a terrific article that I want to share!!

(I don't want to copy the entire article including the founders take on things so I will summarize)

A reporter was interviewing a small retail businessman, and of course, asking him just how terrible this sagging economy and this dismal Christmas season and this horrible recession were affecting his business. With a smile on his face and a "skip" in his voice, he told the reporter that his business was actually up from the last year!!
The reporter almost didn't believe him! But, after collecting herself, she asked what he thought the secret was to his success. He replied without hesitation: "I have chosen NOT to participate!"

What did he mean by NOT participating? He didn't live anywhere that was exempt from the bad economy he just is choosing to not get caught up in it. A lot of us (I include myself) take on a negative attitude about the economy and talk of a recession and he choose to not.

So what did he do different? Well, he had to work a little harder, stay open a little longer, spend a few extra dollars on advertising to get people in his door. But it worked!!

So for us as DS consultants we may need to make more calls than before and schedule more shows than before and hostess coach more than before but we can do something to keep our businesses going!!

I don't know how everyone will respond to this, but I thought I would share.

Thanks for reading!!

IT's definitely all about the Attitude you have as Jean Jonas suggested as well!

Oh Chris you are so positive.... I must adapt this attitude also....

Great! I plan on sharing this with my team. Thanks! Attitude is everything.

Cora fisher and her sales team from the PC home office (she is my direct line since we have no upline exec director) sent us the coolest framed plaque at Christmas this year:
here is what it says:

ATTITUDE
Your dreams are big, your plans are great, your goals
are quite a few, but with your skill and confidence---
you're sure to see them through!!!

karlene

I read this article the other day then followed up by participating in the thread about being in a slump. I read it again tonight and thought I had to share it. I plan to implement it as well!!

I earned a trip in 2006 b/c I knew I just HAD to do one. I had so much confidence in myself that I had the trip in the bag the second week of September. I LOVED my paychecks and I really want to get back to that!! I sometimes wonder, what happened...but I know it is all me. And only me to blame. So I will change me, empower me and get what I want!!

This is my very favorite quote on Attitude:

ATTITUDE
by: Charles Swindoll

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

Becky,
I love that quote as well. Thank you for posting it. I am printing it out, and posting it above my computer.

mrssyvo said:
Becky,
I love that quote as well. Thank you for posting it. I am printing it out, and posting it above my computer.

It's posted above my desk!

I had it way back when I was in college - but then forgot about it. When I started my business with PC, my director sent it to me in the mail w/ her monthly newsletter (they still mailed newsletters back then!:)) and I've kept it there since then.

I think this is totally true...
Good point!

Great post Chris & I totally agree! After all the announcements at conference, I fully believe that our company is in no way being affected by the economy. Like they keep telling us; people need us more now than ever.
Love that quote too Becky!

I know that I've been busier than ever. I have just been so thankful that I chose a company that sells products people need and that they are higher quality than what's easily found. People ask how the economy has affected me and I say people eat at home more and need products to make it easier and more fun to do that. I feel for those that sell jewelry and decor b/c I think those (at least in this area) have really been hit.Others in my family, heating and computers. Yeah...they are doing really well too. I consider PC to be in those lines. Something that people need regardless of the economy. I have more shows this January than I've had in a long time! Crazy! Now if only I started contacting people!! These are people that contact me or book right at the show. I love PC!

At Christmas time I was getting my blood drawn at a local lab and the lady mentioned the economy. I said yes, but I sell PC and my business for Nov. and Dec. was approx. $5500. She then changed her story and was all excited. She loved PC and wanted a catalog and will be having a party in Feb.!!

I too am focusing on making my attitude shine brightly and postively! I tell them all I am excited about my business and I amdoing very well, which for me is true! I did 13 shows in Nov. I committed to host coaching in person and getting at least 40 addresses by making myself come across as happy and excited, which I am. So far I am getting my addresses and people seem excited about hosting, we will see how it all plays out when these shows all close! So far, attitude has made a BIG difference!

Thanks Chris, I REALLY needed this today! :) I'm going to try to turn my attitude around.

Yes do not participate! :)We all face trials, I'm in one today...I did not need to face loss of a vehicle or financial loss, but I'm confident God is in control, I have many of you praying and He will see me through. I'm going to think through the decisions to hopefully make wise financial ones, not borrow money in an emergency and it WILL work out and live WILL go on. It always does. Yes, calm cool collected tough me did close my office door and shed a few tears to get the stress of all I have to deal with today out, and I am upset that it happened and I couldn't avoid it, especially going slow and seeing idiots fly past me and drive stupid daily, but I think I got that all out and will have to wait to see what God does. This takes all my funds, sets back my paying debt, and makes things even tighter, but it will make me look for more creative ways to save, more ways to enjoy life without spending money, and there is bound to be some good here.I CHOOSE to find God's blessings in my trials.

I am so glad that this thread hopes so many of you. I have found that since I read the origional article that everything around me is a little easier. Calmer, more peaceful. I have choosen not to participate in the negativity of the overall world right now when it comes to the economy and to focus on the things I can change...ME!!

I have also been reading Randy Pausch's book and that helps too!!

Jules711 said:
Now if only I started contacting people!! These are people that contact me or book right at the show. I love PC!

Gee! I wish I had THAT problem. No one contacts me.

Count your blessings!! :)

Great points, everyone! This goes right along with the quote in the latest PC Newswire...
Vermont Senior Director Laura Aridgides held 3 Cooking Shows, sold $3,300, signed 2 new Consultants and booked an additional 6 Shows — in one December weekend!

What's her secret to such success?

"I focus on having fun at the Shows, and I do NOT focus on the negativity of the economy," Laura says. "People see and hear enough of that on the news, so when they come to a Pampered Chef® Show I want to make sure they have a great time."

Just make it fun for them and don't bring up the negativity!

Truly, I haven't felt a huge dip. Yes, my show average has dropped a little, but more people are booking than ever before, so, it's evening out for me! It really is just in the focus! I am focusing more on the fun of the show and getting bookings, and my recruit lead and bookings are booming because of it! Attitude really is everything!

Amy Tan said:"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude".That one lives above my desk!

janezapchef said:
Great points, everyone! This goes right along with the quote in the latest PC Newswire...
Vermont Senior Director Laura Aridgides held 3 Cooking Shows, sold $3,300, signed 2 new Consultants and booked an additional 6 Shows — in one December weekend!

What's her secret to such success?

"I focus on having fun at the Shows, and I do NOT focus on the negativity of the economy," Laura says. "People see and hear enough of that on the news, so when they come to a Pampered Chef® Show I want to make sure they have a great time."

Just make it fun for them and don't bring up the negativity!

Truly, I haven't felt a huge dip. Yes, my show average has dropped a little, but more people are booking than ever before, so, it's evening out for me! It really is just in the focus! I am focusing more on the fun of the show and getting bookings, and my recruit lead and bookings are booming because of it! Attitude really is everything!

Couldn't have said it better myself Jane. I too have not seen the "huge" dip in my business.... but bookings are sure up!! I can toot my horn for that one.. Be positive and work your business.

It really is true ~ you reap what you sew
:cool:

I found this in a magazine I get so for anyone who did not see it I thought I would post it.

You are unstoppable.

We all have times when we feel stuck on the road of life,
like we'll never get where we want to go, like our "engines" have stalled-
possibly for good.
But you're just at a rest stop!
All you need to do is take a fresh look at your road map (your dreams),
refuel (with hope!) and point your "car" in a new direction-and you'll be
on your way!

Deb.

1. What is "Do Not Participate!!"?

"Do Not Participate!!" is a feature of Pampered Chef that allows customers to opt out of receiving marketing materials and emails from the company.

2. How do I enroll in "Do Not Participate!!"?

You can enroll in "Do Not Participate!!" by contacting our customer service team or by selecting the option on the bottom of any marketing email you receive from Pampered Chef.

3. Will I still receive important updates and promotions if I enroll in "Do Not Participate!!"?

Yes, you will still receive important updates and promotions from Pampered Chef, such as order confirmations and shipping notifications. "Do Not Participate!!" only applies to marketing materials and emails.

4. Can I change my mind and opt back into receiving marketing materials?

Yes, you can change your preferences at any time by contacting our customer service team or by selecting the option on the bottom of any marketing email you receive from Pampered Chef.

5. Will opting out of "Do Not Participate!!" affect my consultant's business?

No, opting out of "Do Not Participate!!" will not affect your consultant's business in any way. They will still have access to your contact information and can continue to provide you with great service and products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lacychef
  • jenniferknapp
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies
Views
gailz2