• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Carry On or Checked Bag? Tips for Packing Like a Pro

In summary, the conversation is about packing for a conference and whether to bring a carry on or check a bag. Some people prefer to only bring a carry on to keep things simple and avoid waiting for checked bags. Others have had past experiences of getting injured from carrying heavy bags and are now opting to mail items home instead. It is suggested to bring a prepaid flat rate box to mail items back if needed. Some people also mention the need to open shrink-wrapped items in checked bags and suggest using a small flat rate box for paperwork to save space.
GinaG623
Not sure if there is a thread about this already.
But, what are you doing???
Bringing a carry on? or Checking your bag??

I usually always do a carry on. I don't check unless they make me. LOL I also don't bring many extra clothes.

Last year was my first conference. I took two wheeled bags, one empty to fill to bring home. I cranked my shoulder out of whack going up and down stairs for the 'L'...ended up with frozen shoulder and shoulder surgery in January.

I will NEVER EVER do that again! EVER!! This time, I have a 22" carryon that I am stuffing with stuff for my team (let them bring it back LOL). My clothes will roll up nice and small. and I have a 16" tote that will have my purse and other stuff in it. Just in case, I am bringing a small packable bag in case I need to check my case coming home BUT I am bringing a prepaid Priority mail Flat box to put in my bag. I will MAIL stuff home that can be mailed to keep to one bag and carry on.

I WILL NOT WILL NOT strain my shoulder again...have to repeat that cuz I like to go SHOPPING!

CK

I am definitely just bringing a carry on. I'm flying out Thursday morning and flying home Saturday, so only a few changes of clothes. A couple of summer dresses and pair of capris and shirt. Nothing bulky. So much easier than worrying about luggage. That's just me, though. I always try to keep things simple. :)

If you're traveling with others, you might want to talk with them. Groups that had to wait on the one person who checked bags have been known to get grumpy. On the other hand, if everyone is checking baggage, that's not a big deal.Last year I found that I didn't have quite as much stuff to carry home, since we pre-ordered paperwork (instead of buying it there) and they send the RUFTH product. If you wind up buying a lot, you can always ship it home instead of taking it with you.

I've never really had to ship stuff while on vacation, but if I bring a pre-paid Priority box with me, is that something I can ask the front desk of our hotel to mail for me or do I have to actually find a post office?

If you're doing a flat-rate box, use click-n-ship and print the label from home, take it with you and then mail from the hotel. Just be sure to use the date that you'll be mailing, not the date you print. PO will get grumpy if the date on the package is a few days older than the date you ship.

When flying to conference I have always just brought a carry on and a tote and even with the goodies we get I have never had to ship anything back. Well, that's not true. When they had the surprise boxes I did have those shipped...

Just leave a little room in your bag on the way and you'll be fine unless you go crazy shopping. As far as bringing a box to ship things back: how do you know that what you will buy will fit in the box?

BethCooks4U said:
When flying to conference I have always just brought a carry on and a tote and even with the goodies we get I have never had to ship anything back. Well, that's not true. When they had the surprise boxes I did have those shipped...

Just leave a little room in your bag on the way and you'll be fine unless you go crazy shopping. As far as bringing a box to ship things back: how do you know that what you will buy will fit in the box?

Last year, I remember we could not check a bag unless the mini catalogs and invitations were opened..they could not be kept together in shrink wrap...the line to checkout was horrendous with people opening their cases to look for the stuff to un-shrinkwrap (I was one of them). A small flat rate box could be packed with paperwork, anything you can put in there to save room if you must.

My hubs works for PO and it was his idea to keep my bag a little lighter if possible ;0)

ChefCKHall said:
Last year, I remember we could not check a bag unless the mini catalogs and invitations were opened..they could not be kept together in shrink wrap...the line to checkout was horrendous with people opening their cases to look for the stuff to un-shrinkwrap (I was one of them). A small flat rate box could be packed with paperwork, anything you can put in there to save room if you must.

My hubs works for PO and it was his idea to keep my bag a little lighter if possible ;0)

We flew out the following day from conference last year and it was funny - when we got to Midway the curb side check in guy said "are you with Pampered Chef?" And as we are feeling flattered he says "Please take out those damn catalogs you all got as they caused a huge headache yesterday and held everything up." SO much for our flattery. :)

You have my paranoid now as we are taking the train for the first time this year and I always take two suitcases in case I want to bring stuff back (and we fly Southwest so we don't pay for the extra bag anyhow). Should I worry now about the steps? Should I mention I have severe tendonitis in my shoulder that is prob going to need surgery down the road? :)

ChefCKHall said:

Ahhhh... I drove in last year so I forgot about that problem. That's weird though because we could always buy them in the past and I don't remember ever hearing about that issue any other year. I hope they don't decide to not give us them this year because of it. :cry:

I was in Chicago in May for NDA and a security guy said...."you guys are here already???" I said no, not till July just a handful this time.

I will prob. check one bag this time...just so I don't have to pack all the travel size liquids. I never seem to be able to get them all in 1 bag. Plus, we fly in a day early so no big deal waiting for luggage.

Melissa78 said:
We flew out the following day from conference last year and it was funny - when we got to Midway the curb side check in guy said "are you with Pampered Chef?" And as we are feeling flattered he says "Please take out those damn catalogs you all got as they caused a huge headache yesterday and held everything up." SO much for our flattery. :)

You have my paranoid now as we are taking the train for the first time this year and I always take two suitcases in case I want to bring stuff back (and we fly Southwest so we don't pay for the extra bag anyhow). Should I worry now about the steps? Should I mention I have severe tendonitis in my shoulder that is prob going to need surgery down the road? :)

There are like 2 flights of stairs and they are steep and horrible, but not worth NOT taking the train. The train saves so much time and money. I would re-think the second bag and/or what you're packing if your tendinitis is a big issue for you.

I hate the baggage claim in Chicago. It takes for freaking ever! However, since I'm flying direct on Southwest I might check my bags. I gotta see what my travel pal wants to do.

Chef Kearns said:
There are like 2 flights of stairs and they are steep and horrible, but not worth NOT taking the train. The train saves so much time and money. I would re-think the second bag and/or what you're packing if your tendinitis is a big issue for you.

I hate the baggage claim in Chicago. It takes for freaking ever! However, since I'm flying direct on Southwest I might check my bags. I gotta see what my travel pal wants to do.

Thank you for the info!

Is the train the same as a subway? So we sit with our luggage?

I'm a bit confused by the catalogs in checked bags thing. What was that? Because TSA would end up opening all the bags because they can't tell what they are??
Hahaha if that is the case, just leave them wrapped! For all the hassle they cause... :)They opened our bags on our way here and I just had rolled up shoes, maybe my ds's pull-ups threw them...

Melissa78 said:
Is the train the same as a subway? So we sit with our luggage?
YEP! I did find out later that some train stops have elevators...I hear they are quite nasty but we found out after the fact...see if there is one.

The train to midway was just too darn long for me...too much walking...walking walking walking to the terminal........felt like more walking then at conference itself...BUT it was cheap.

Gonna be smiling in my limo...even if it is $12!!

Worth the $12!

Related to Carry On or Checked Bag? Tips for Packing Like a Pro

1. Can I bring my Pampered Chef products in my carry-on bag?

Yes, you can bring your Pampered Chef products in your carry-on bag. However, some products may be restricted by TSA regulations. It is recommended to check the TSA website for a list of allowed items before packing.

2. How should I pack my Pampered Chef products in my checked bag?

To ensure the safety of your products, it is recommended to pack them in bubble wrap or other protective packaging before placing them in your checked bag. It is also advised to place them in the middle of your suitcase, surrounded by clothing or other soft items for added protection.

3. Are there any weight or size restrictions for carrying on Pampered Chef products?

Yes, there are weight and size restrictions for carry-on bags set by the airline. It is important to check with your specific airline for their regulations. Additionally, some Pampered Chef products may be considered oversized or have sharp edges, so it is important to check with TSA for any additional restrictions.

4. Can I bring liquids or food items in my carry-on bag?

According to TSA regulations, liquids and food items are allowed in carry-on bags, but they must adhere to the 3-1-1 rule. This means that liquids must be in containers of 3.4 ounces or less, all containers must fit in a single quart-sized bag, and each passenger is limited to one quart-sized bag. It is also recommended to pack any food items in a secure, leak-proof container to prevent spills.

5. Can I bring my Pampered Chef products on an international flight?

Yes, you can bring your Pampered Chef products on an international flight. However, it is important to check with the country's customs regulations to ensure that the products are allowed into the country. It is also recommended to pack the products in your checked bag to avoid any potential issues at customs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcmichellev
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • smart2cook