• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cancelled Show... She Thinks I'm Not Including Her...

In summary, the conversation was about a host who cancelled her show because she was not allowed to choose the recipe. The speaker explained that they usually offer one recipe per month and gave the host a list of options. However, the host requested a specific recipe that the speaker did not want to do for the show. The speaker offered alternative options but the host cancelled the show. The speaker also mentioned that the host may have wanted them to cater a party rather than have a Pampered Chef show. The speaker apologized and offered to work with the host in the future, but also explained that they have to limit recipe choices due to various factors. They also mentioned the option for the host to still earn host credit by collecting orders from friends and starting their
soccermama
I had a host cancel her show... her reason is that I'm not letting her be the one to choose the recipe for her show. UGH! When I met with her, I told her that I offer 1 recipe per month, and I would send her the ingredient list. Then I get an email from her, requesting the 20 minute Ribs. (To tell you the truth, I think the micro meat recipes being offered for shows is insane.... but that's just MHO! lol) I told her that wouldn't work for me, and gave her the list for a recipe I chose. She emailed back saying she didn't like that recipe and wanted to try "this, this or this", none of the recipes she listed were ones I would ever do for a show. I told her that I would look that evening and give her some other choices that might suit her tastes and get back to her the next day. By the time the next day rolls around, she called and emailed me to cancel her show.....

It was starting to feel more like she wanted me to cater her party, than to have a PC show, ya know? So fine... whatever....

Here's how I replied to her.......

Hi _________. My apologies for not getting back in touch with you a bit sooner. I'm sorry you felt you needed to cancel your Pampered Chef Cooking Show. The show theme you chose (Real Food Real Fast) really limited the choices in menu options. And as I mentioned in the beginning, I generally offer only 1 recipe selection per month. With this theme, the recipe selecions were more limited. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the choices that were available.

I am very willing to work with you as a host, and can respect your thoughts and tastes. Please also respect that this is my business and I have to put a limit on some choices, due to many factors, including the time a recipe would take to demonstrate (I keep my shows short, in order to not bore the guests) and the tools that are used in the recipe. Perhaps a different theme would work for you, if you'd like to host a show in November. I still have some available dates in November and would be glad to try to work out an appropriate theme and recipe selection. An Easy Entertaining show can be fun, and would be easy to find an appropriate recipe. Also a Homemade for the Holidays show is great, and very easy to do.

If you or your friends are interested in placing orders, you can still get credit as a Catalog Show Host and earn free products and discounts. Just collect orders and we can submit them as a show for you. You could use the host credit to help start your own Pampered Chef business. The New Consultant Kit is $155, with an option to use $20 or $40 of your host credit to reduce that cost. The kit includes over $500 in products and business supplies and you would have all the choices you wanted when hosting your own show, and could make money while you're at it. The Pampered Chef is offering a great incentive for New Consultants right now. I can share more information if you're interested. As a Consultant, you can choose how much or how little you work your business, and earn commission on everything you sell. The choices are endless with your own Pampered Chef business!

I'll be in touch with you again soon. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Thank you,

She seems like a really nice girl. But hadn't been to a show for 7 years, and has never hosted. So maybe she just needs more direction in how this all works. If she decides to host with me in the future, I'll set up host coaching appointments so I can be sure to be in touch with her frequently and make sure she REALLY understands the way I run my business, and I DON'T let my hosts run my business for me!

I like your email...i would also give her a call and follow up the next day.

When I give a host a recipe I ask them if it is ok. Everyone has different taste. If they don't like it I ask them if they would prefer x,y or z.

See, I usually don't even give my hosts a choice in recipes. I post the shopping list on my website for ALL my hosts that month. I am willing to work with a host if it really doesn't appeal to them, or if it's a repeat host or guest.... But I just can't let my hosts start picking and choosing whatever they want, not taking MY time into consideration. I work 3 jobs, plus PC, plus I'm a mom..... I'm too busy to repack my case for every show. lol

nikkijo said:
I like your email...i would also give her a call and follow up the next day.

When I give a host a recipe I ask them if it is ok. Everyone has different taste. If they don't like it I ask them if they would prefer x,y or z.

I agree with Nikki. A personal phone call will go a long way to soothing ruffled feathers. I know that there are consultants that just offer one selection a month and are successful with it. I have never done that......what if you do a show early in the month and someone books a show from that for later in the month? I'd hate to do the same thing for both shows...with alot of the same people.

Each season I make a recipe selection for the new theme shows with 4-6 recipes that I like :), are easy to do, demo well, and show lots of tools. When a host picks a theme, I give her the selection to choose from.

Is there any way you can take the recipes she suggested and find something similiar that you want to do? Any of the braids/rings would work for Real Food/Real Fast and have so many different fillings, I'm sure you could both find some common ground.

This girl has picky tastes... she told me that in her email cancelling the show. So I think that she's gonna have to choose a totally different theme. (If she'll decide to work with me again... I'm not too concerned about it, really. If it happens, great... if not, that's life...)

When I have someone book a show from a beginning-month show and hold it at month-end, I give them the next month's recipe. Having 1 recipe choice has made this business so much easier. And this is the first host that's had a complaint.....

I like the idea of having one recipe per month. What I usually do is offer the host 2 recipes to choose from, 1 main dish/appetizer and 1 dessert. Only if they have a reasonable request for another option will I give them another option.

I would cancel if I didn't like what was being served. I'm not sure that means that you should do what she wants. I would suggest that she serve what she like and you are going to make xxxx. Then, she's happy and you get to show what you want. I might even offer to arrive early to help prep some of her items but I wouldn't do it if I didn't want to. (I, too, think ribs in the microwave is gross, but if she wanted to do it, I would bring my dish and let her have at it. Might sell a covered baker.)

When I pick a recipe for my month, I look at the host specials coming up and try to feature them. So, when I do my host coaching I let them know about the booking benefit of the host program and THEN say that I chose this recipe to help you get bookings and future deals. Haven't ever had a problem.

Not to Hijack, but this is sort of along the same lines. :eek: Do you usually only do one recipe per show? I just started and have been doing two recipes, but I make the dessert before the show starts and the other during the demo. I'm just curious what others do...

One recipe a month and one recipe per show... I keep my shows short and sweet, and I can't do that with more than 1 recipe to demo.

soccermama said:
See, I usually don't even give my hosts a choice in recipes. I post the shopping list on my website for ALL my hosts that month. I am willing to work with a host if it really doesn't appeal to them, or if it's a repeat host or guest.... But I just can't let my hosts start picking and choosing whatever they want, not taking MY time into consideration. I work 3 jobs, plus PC, plus I'm a mom..... I'm too busy to repack my case for every show. lol

Just had to say that your email was very nice and I love the fact that you offered her the biz opp and pointed out that she could do her shows her own way if she is the consultant. Kudos to you!

Celeste,

I see you're in WA. I just looked at your website and I see that you have a show listed in Selah. I'm in Tri-Cities....where are you?

Sorry about the cancelled show!

I just started offering 2 main recipes and 2 desserts to choose from. They only get a dessert if they have 10 or more adult guests coming. The dessert is always made in advance. That being said, I still ask the host if any of the recipes sounded good to her. If not, what type of food does she like (mexican, asian, american, etc.). Then I'll give her other options of food I've cooked before.

I did have an exception for a show I did yesterday. The host and her daughter knew exactly what they wanted. One was the ice cream sandwich torte. I was a little afraid of that one because it was August when they booked their show and I thought who would want ice cream in Oct. - ended up being 90 degrees here yesterday! Then she wanted the Lemon Chicken Pasta Toss - never made it before and had planned on making it at home in advance, but was too busy, but it worked out fine. I always tell the guests the host picked out the recipe. This way if they don't prefer the food they know if they have a show it's their choice. Everyone loved it afterward and wanted the recipe and I said, "And it was easy, I made it for the first time while standing up here talking." "I love that about PC recipes they are always so good and easy." I had already explained it was my first time making it at the beginning of the show and that the host had it at another show she went to.

I want to have happy, repeat hosts. I'll do whatever recipe they want, although I try to stear them to what I want to cook. This was the first show in 3 years I had to make something I didn't suggest. It's worth it to me. Her show should close around $600 and I got 1 booking.

I guess it's how you want to run your business, but I personally would have given her what she wanted. I will be surprised if she isn't upset about your email. If I canceled a show w/a consultant I would be shocked she would actually try to get me to do a catalog show or sign up to sell. This is just my opinion because I think I would have to be pretty mad at someone to cancel my show.

One thing to remember in business, "The customer is always right." It's not her fault you work multiple jobs and have children - you chose to do this business. She is expecting service from you by inviting you into her home and having her family and guests buy from you.

I would have just done the ribs if that is what she wanted. I do the 30 min chicken and sell a ton of DDCBs at full price. I'd rather have sales then "no sales" from a canceled show.

vwpamperedchef said:
I would have just done the ribs if that is what she wanted. I do the 30 min chicken and sell a ton of DDCBs at full price. I'd rather have sales then "no sales" from a canceled show.
Just a note- doing the ribs in the microwave is no different from boiling them on the stovetop- it just takes less time. These ribs are fantastic! And they're a great demo, because they show off stoneware and cookware with one recipe.

chefann said:
Just a note- doing the ribs in the microwave is no different from boiling them on the stovetop- it just takes less time. These ribs are fantastic! And they're a great demo, because they show off stoneware and cookware with one recipe.

I beg to differ. I think these ribs are disgusting, and I would never suggest for anyone to make them that way. I am kind of upset that I wasted my money on the ribs. They were rubbery and gross.

Smashie said:
I beg to differ. I think these ribs are disgusting, and I would never suggest for anyone to make them that way. I am kind of upset that I wasted my money on the ribs. They were rubbery and gross.

Maybe it was the meat you used. I made them and they were wonderful.

pampchefrhondab said:
Maybe it was the meat you used. I made them and they were wonderful.

I used baby back ribs.

Maybe it's because I am used to the way I normally make them and they fall of the bone, tender and juicy. These were not that way.

pampchefrhondab said:
I just started offering 2 main recipes and 2 desserts to choose from. They only get a dessert if they have 10 or more adult guests coming. The dessert is always made in advance. That being said, I still ask the host if any of the recipes sounded good to her. If not, what type of food does she like (mexican, asian, american, etc.). Then I'll give her other options of food I've cooked before.

I did have an exception for a show I did yesterday. The host and her daughter knew exactly what they wanted. One was the ice cream sandwich torte. I was a little afraid of that one because it was August when they booked their show and I thought who would want ice cream in Oct. - ended up being 90 degrees here yesterday! Then she wanted the Lemon Chicken Pasta Toss - never made it before and had planned on making it at home in advance, but was too busy, but it worked out fine. I always tell the guests the host picked out the recipe. This way if they don't prefer the food they know if they have a show it's their choice. Everyone loved it afterward and wanted the recipe and I said, "And it was easy, I made it for the first time while standing up here talking." "I love that about PC recipes they are always so good and easy." I had already explained it was my first time making it at the beginning of the show and that the host had it at another show she went to.

I want to have happy, repeat hosts. I'll do whatever recipe they want, although I try to stear them to what I want to cook. This was the first show in 3 years I had to make something I didn't suggest. It's worth it to me. Her show should close around $600 and I got 1 booking.

I guess it's how you want to run your business, but I personally would have given her what she wanted. I will be surprised if she isn't upset about your email. If I canceled a show w/a consultant I would be shocked she would actually try to get me to do a catalog show or sign up to sell. This is just my opinion because I think I would have to be pretty mad at someone to cancel my show.

One thing to remember in business, "The customer is always right." It's not her fault you work multiple jobs and have children - you chose to do this business. She is expecting service from you by inviting you into her home and having her family and guests buy from you.

I agree with you. This is how I run my business too.

Smashie said:
I used baby back ribs.

Maybe it's because I am used to the way I normally make them and they fall of the bone, tender and juicy. These were not that way.

I actually used country style ribs. They actually suggest not using that kind, but mine were great. I just made sure they wern't too fatty and they were boneless.

Country style ribs aren't very expensive. Give them a try sometime.

pampchefrhondab said:
I actually used country style ribs. They actually suggest not using that kind, but mine were great. I just made sure they wern't too fatty and they were boneless.

Country style ribs aren't very expensive. Give them a try sometime.

I love country style ribs but didn't use them because of the suggestion not too, but I will give those a try. Thanks for the tip!

Smashie said:

OK, I'm not all that familiar w/ the ribs as I haven't tried them yet (I cheat and go to a restaurant to eat ribs:angel: ), but don't you have to peel something off the back of them? Maybe that's what caused the rubberiness?

ChefAnn, expertise on ribs please...

dianevill said:
OK, I'm not all that familiar w/ the ribs as I haven't tried them yet (I cheat and go to a restaurant to eat ribs:angel: ), but don't you have to peel something off the back of them? Maybe that's what caused the rubberiness?

ChefAnn, expertise on ribs please...

I did remove it. I followed the recipe to a T . Maybe it was just me that didn't like them, I am very picky about ribs.

I can't imagine they'd be exactly like the ones you slow-cook all day, but for a meal in 20 minutes... I'm curious to try them, but I'm afraid to spend money and then not like them, since they are fairly pricey (I'll have to wait 'til they go on sale).

OK, sorry - hijack over...

This is how I normally make ribs. I will post the recipe because I think these are the best ribs ever! I got the recipe off of recipezaar.com and have been making it like this for a couple of years. They are very good!Time to make: 2¼ hours 5 min prep8 country-style pork ribs
Dr. Pepper cola, not diet
5 garlic cloves, slightly smashed
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 large onion, quartered
your favorite barbecue sauce 1. Place ribs in large stock pot and pour Dr. Pepper over ribs to cover.
2. Add garlic, liquid smoke and onion.
3. Bring to a boil, lower to simmer and cook until ribs are tender.(about 1 & 1/2 hours)
4. Place ribs in baking pan and pour BBQ sauce over ribs.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Or they can be put on BBQ grill.http://www.recipezaar.com/19724

You do need to take the membrane off the back, as indicated in the Cook's Tips for the 20-minute ribs. It's a little tricky...

I'm sure that any all-day rib recipe will be better than the 20-minute version, but I can't be alone in that I don't have all day to cook dinner. I work outside the home, and do not want to leave an appliance on all day (not to mention DH HATES slow-cookers, so they're not allowed in the house). The 20-minute version was still pretty good - not falling off the bones, but still tender and tasty.

We did discuss cost at my cluster meeting last week (we made the ribs there). Our suggestions: stock up when they're on sale and put them into your freezer, then have the host reimburse you; stock up at a warehouse store (Sam's Club, Costco, BJ's), and have the host reimburse you for what you used; use chicken drumsticks - more meat on each and cheaper, and they'd be really good with the sauce. I'm going to try them later this week with chicken drumsticks (if I remembered to order BBQ rub on my supply order :rolleyes:) and I'll post back.

Ooooh, the drumsticks sound good!

Thanks Ann!

I made the 20 minute ribs and my husband swore that he thought I had cooked them all day. I think the real trick is taking that membrane off - I had never heard of that before. Removing it was easy. It tore twice but it was easy to catch another corner. I think the boning knife and paper towel were key in this - at first I tried without the towel and it was much harder to hold onto and yucky:yuck: but with the paper towel it was easy.

Definitely try this at home! You will be convinced and as Ann said about her own life, so many people now are on really rushed, tight schedules and will love being able to have such treats with so little work. As far as cost, think what it costs for ribs at a restaurant. Even if they aren't on sale at a store it's less expensive to make them at home. I do like the idea of buying them on sale and offering hosts the savings at their show. I will also be taking a pack of napkins to each show that does the ribs - they will need them!

I have a killer pork chop recipe with a great barbecue sauce. The other day I made them with the sauce recipe that comes with the ribs and my DH loved this just as much as my original - and it was easier - less ingredients!!

tinat51796 said:
Celeste,

I see you're in WA. I just looked at your website and I see that you have a show listed in Selah. I'm in Tri-Cities....where are you?

Sorry about the cancelled show!

Tina, my TEAM Meetings are in Selah. I'm about an hour from there, towards Seattle....

pampchefrhondab said:

You're right... it's not her fault that I work multiple jobs and have children. But that doesn't mean I have to let her choose whatever recipe she wants, without regard to how I run my business. She knew going into the show that I'm busy and that I offer 1 recipe a month. I really AM flexible in allowing a host to change the recipe, but there still has to be some limit to that, since not EVERY recipe makes for a good demo. I pack my bag once a month... and when I offer other selections, I try to make sure that the choices use mostly the same tools, so I'm not having to completely repack my bag. I just don't have time for that, and this IS MY business, and I don't have to allow a host to decide I should change the way I run MY business.

I don't think she'll be upset that I offered her the catalog show option. She told me that some of her friends were still planning to order, and she gave them the catalogs and my website. She said she'd like to try to have a show some other time. That left the door open, so to speak, for me to offer her other options. I will call this girl tomorrow and touch base with her. If she doesn't want to work with me anymore, well, it's no loss to me, and if she wants, I will help her get in touch with another consultant in the area. She was a HO lead to another consultant that I know, and she passed the info along to me (now I'm wondering if there's more to the story than I was told! lol)

Anyway... I think an "Easy Entertaining" show would be more to her liking. A simple appetizer or dessert and some tips and tricks for the guests for decorating and gift giving. And that's what I'll be doing for the most part at all my shows now through December...... I saw her apartment, and it's cute, and definitely a "party" place. I think she likes to entertain. So we'll see what happens after I call her....

better go get some sleep...

G'Nite!:indif:

We all run our business in different ways. If one recipe is all you offer, be sure this is made clear to your hosts. I like variety, personally. With as many shows as I do, I like to make different things. Oct. I offered the 3 theme shows with 3 choices for each. They would choose a theme show then I helped them find a recipe choice within that theme.

In Nov. I am offering two recipes. The turkey/cranberry braid and the apple skillet cake. If neither is liked, I am willing to try something else.

January- Is my birthday and my 3 year anniversary with PC. With 10 guests in attendance, I will bring the cake to add to the appetizer or main dish.

Repetition is not my thing. As a teacher, I have standards I have to follow, but I do different activities each year to teach them. I like the change for teaching and PC. I work full-time,3 kids and PC. I do multiple recipes and sometimes more than 1 at a show, but that's me. Only 1 recipe does not work for me, but go for it if it works for you.

LOL For me, I need repetition. I can talk about the products much easier when I'm using a recipe that I know really well, as opposed to having to look at the recipe to see what to do next....

Most consultants I know offer 1 recipe a month. I've been doing it this way since I started 2 years ago (my 2nd time around... first time aroud I did whatever a host wanted, and never had a decent show). This is the first host that's had a problem with it, so I'm certainly not looking to change how I do things. I always tell my hosts that it's not about the recipe I'm making, but about the fun she'll have with her friends, and the simpler the show, the more time they'll have for visiting and fun!

I also never do a 2nd recipe. 1 recipe only. Always. I've let hosts borrow dishes and tools to make extra food on their own, but my shows are short, and only 1 recipe, so I don't bore the guests. ;)

I'm not using my work schedule and my kids as an "excuse" for the way I run my business. It's just the way I do it, so that none of my obligations get in the way of the others...... makes life slightly less stressful LOL (only slightly!)

If you don't care about possibly losing this customer and want to run your business the same way you have been, I'm not sure why you posted for opinions.

What I have done is offer a couple recipes but usually talk the host into the one I want to fix. I'll tell them the recipe has been very popular at my shows and everyone loves it. The host thinks it was her choice, but I really got what I wanted:)!

I am a very picky eater (not as much as when I was younger) so I would want a choice if I were having a party at my house. It isn't very often I have a host that wants a certain recipe, this past weekend was the first time in 3 years. I can tell you the daughter was the one who wanted the ice cream cake. She is in her early 20's so when she gets married I know who they are going to call for her bridal shower!

No matter what I'm making at a show I always talk about the 4 major lines (cookware, stoneware, knives and SA) and then a few of the tools I'm using. So I really don't have to worry about changing the recipe.

Good luck - hopeuflly she will like your entertaining idea.

Last edited:
dianevill said:
Ooooh, the drumsticks sound good!

Thanks Ann!

HIJACK...

We had KFC for dinner last night and my 8yo DS picked a drumstick first. Then 3-1/2 yo DS (who is in a phase where he does EVERYTHING like his big brother) declared he wanted a piece "just like Kyle... with a handle."

katie0128 said:
HIJACK...

We had KFC for dinner last night and my 8yo DS picked a drumstick first. Then 3-1/2 yo DS (who is in a phase where he does EVERYTHING like his big brother) declared he wanted a piece "just like Kyle... with a handle."
That was one of the reasons we thought they'd be good for a show! Drumsticks and wings are probably the finger-foodiest parts of the chicken.

<end hijack>

I offer three main dish/appetizer recipes and three desserts. I ask them to choose one of each. Each category has a recipe that I can pre-pre most of either at home or when I first get there. I tell my hosts up front I want to highlight the guest special, and that i will be showing a stone, a peice of cookware, and serving on the Simple Additions. I have never had a problem with a host not wanting what I choose. If the host absolutely wants something else, I accomodate her--she is inviting me into her home to join her friends and recipes, so I just do that.But usually what I offer is fine.

The 10 minute pork loin is really really good. and beyond simple.
You can sell ALOT of deep dish bakers, Thermomitors and silicone basting brushes.

Then do the ode to the baking stone poem for a laugh and do a dessert. Is that what your recipe of the month is?

I just put olive oil and sprinkle the rub and salt and pepper.Slice a vadalia onion on the mandoline to line the bottom of the baker. 10 minutes in micro. take temp. 10 minutes to sit. take temp. wala!

Slice it up with one of your lifetime gauranteed forged german steel ergonomically designed chef knives.

If I had the grill press and pan I would totally do the ribs.

Nanisu said:
If the host absolutely wants something else, I accomodate her--she is inviting me into her home to join her friends and recipes, so I just do that.But usually what I offer is fine.

Nicely said. I understand wanting to keep control of your business but I think there has to be a middle ground where you can make your host happy (happy hosts are excited and make your job easier!) and do a recipe that demos well.

Y'all make it sound like I'm not accomodating. But if you read my posts, I said that I did offer other selections for her. The recipes she wanted me to make were not good show recipes and/or I had never heard of them. I'm not comfortable making a recipe that I don't know, at least not for a show. I offered several different choices, and she said no to each one, then cancelled.

As I already said... I offer 1 recipe per month. This host didn't like that choice, so I was trying to find a recipe that I could make for her show that she might like, and would be a good demo, considering the "Real Food Real Fast" theme she chose.

It's not gonna matter what I have to say now, since you've all made up your mind that I should do whatever a host wants, no matter what. But that's just not gonna happen. I do what my hosts want, when what they want is reasonable for my business. And that's how I run my business, and I have many, many repeat hosts and customers.

1. Why did the host cancel her show?

The host cancelled her show because she felt that she was not able to choose the recipe for her show. She requested a specific recipe that the consultant did not offer for her monthly recipe selection. After attempting to find a compromise, the host ultimately decided to cancel the show.

2. What kind of recipe selection does the consultant offer for shows?

The consultant generally offers one recipe selection per month for her shows. This is due to factors such as time constraints and the availability of necessary tools for the recipe. However, the consultant is open to working with hosts to find a suitable recipe for their tastes.

3. How did the consultant respond to the host's requests for a specific recipe?

The consultant apologized for not responding sooner and explained that the show theme the host had chosen limited the available recipe options. She also reminded the host that she had mentioned offering only one recipe per month and suggested alternative themes that may have more suitable recipe options.

4. What options did the consultant offer to the host after she cancelled the show?

The consultant offered the host the opportunity to still earn host credit and discounts by collecting orders and submitting them as a catalog show. She also mentioned the option of using host credit to start her own Pampered Chef business and earning commission on sales. The consultant also mentioned a current incentive for new consultants and offered to share more information if the host was interested.

5. How does the consultant plan to handle future host coaching with this host?

The consultant plans to set up host coaching appointments with the host to ensure clear communication and understanding of how the consultant runs her business. This will help avoid any confusion or misunderstandings in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PCJenni
  • AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mspibb
Replies
Views
baychef