• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Read This? The Amazing Power of the Human Mind Revealed!

In summary, the author of the email shared a poem that they had written and said that it was perfect. They went on to say that the checker helped them with grammar and spelling.
chefjenibel
Just got this in email, I can read it, can you?!? :)

Don't even think about using spell check!!!!!!!!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs?
Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

I could read it. I've seen something like this before. I don't remember that only 55% of people could read that way, though.

Wow, that is amazing that I can read it with everything jumbled up!

That is so weird! I could read it, but it may have given me a bit of headache. Or maybe that's the wine I've been drinking while I've been cooking the "Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Skillet" recipe out of the 29 minute cookbook. This recipe smells awesome! It's almost done!:)

I can read it too! Cool!

"Give 10,000 monkeys typewriters and they will eventually write Shakespeare."I guess the Internet pretty well disproved that theory.Spelling isn't important? Yes, I can read that. If it hit my desk, I wouldn't bother reading it.

I can read it, too. It's funny, sometimes I really get into a book I find that I read it so fast that I see it playing in my mind, but I don't notice the words. Kind of makes it nice when I go back to read it again.

I can read it. All the misspelled words irked me, but I could read it.

Last edited:
That was neat,thanks for sharing;

Liz:cool:

ps: I could read it and amazingly at regular speed too :)

I could read it. So far 100% of us has ... unless someone isn't fessing up. Hmmm. What does that say about PC consultants - seeing how as we're beating the odds ....

i culod raed it
lol

I can read it:) and at a fast pace also.

I can read it too...

I could read it without any problem. I wish I couldn't. This is the reason I have difficulty proofreading things. I have to go super slow in order to catch errors.

raebates said:
I could read it without any problem. I wish I couldn't. This is the reason I have difficulty proofreading things. I have to go super slow in order to catch errors.

Funny you should say this.....I am a proof reader to a fault! I find mis-spellings and what not everywhere! However, I could still read this, weird!

I could read it as well - I always catch spelling errors in different places - my sister hates this about me - she can't spell very well and when I was in college - she sent me a letter and said halfway through it - stop correcting my spelling errors! - knowing that they would bug me and I would be correcting them in my head! Oh well - can't change after all these years!

Me too! I had no problem and I DO always catch errors. If fact I can't remember the last book that I didn't find at least one spelling mistake. lol

I had no problem either.

no problems here.

I had no problem reading it at my usual slow reading speed too.

No problem here. That's how my daughter spells on a regular basis! LOL!

I could read it, but it irked me as well!! I'm a teacher, and an English one at that. I can't help but see spelling and grammar errors everywhere I look!

Their's know axe cues four miss spoiling.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Their's know axe cues four miss spoiling.

Now THAT was much more difficult to read than the original post! I'm a terrible stickler for spelling and gammar as well. When I make a mistake and don't catch it quickly, it makes me nuts!

I believe everything in there is spelled correctly. ;) You just have to read it out loud!

I half a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea
It plane lee marks for my revue
Miss steaks eye can knot seaAye ran this poem threw it
I'm shore your pleased two no
Its let her perfect inn it's weigh
My checker tolled me sewA checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.Each frays comes posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours over every word
To check sum spelling rule.Bee fore a veiling checkers
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
There are know faults with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wearNow spelling does not phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped words fare as hearTo rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloudSow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too please.

Hey, KG, I love that. I shared it with several friends a few years ago. One of them called me. She HATED it. She couldn't make it past the first stanza. She's one of those for whom spelling errors really jump off the page. She was quite miffed at me. She got over it, though.

Yea...I can't take the whole thing. I read the first stanza and I couldn't do it.

PamperedChefDebi said:
Yea...I can't take the whole thing. I read the first stanza and I couldn't do it.
I stopped after the second line. I used to work for an editor and took care of all of her proof-reading and pre-edits. I think it has ruined me for life......I can no longer read anything without checking for errors! And, I am amazed at the errors that get past the editors these days.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that poem - everything IS spelled correctly. If you're proofing for spelling errors and can't read it, then you're looking at content and not spelling.;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that poem - everything IS spelled correctly. If you're proofing for spelling errors and can't read it, then you're looking at content and not spelling.

;)
Yes, that would be true.

This was posted on another forum I'm on.No wonder foreigners have such trouble learning English
  1. The bandage was wound around the wound.
  2. The farm was used to produce produce.
  3. The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
  4. We must polish the Polish furniture.
  5. He could lead if he would get the lead out.
  6. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
  7. Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
  8. A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
  9. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
  10. I did not object to the object.
  11. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
  12. There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
  13. They were too close to the door to close it.
  14. The buck does funny things when the does are present.
  15. A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
  16. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to so
  17. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
  18. Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
  19. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
  20. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
In response to that, DH posted the following sentence and link to the explanation. Warning: It will make your brain hurt.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Eye tolled ewe sew.
Now you sound like my 5yo son! Except he adds "I was right mommy and you were wrong"

Not quite. :pBut DH says we can make a Wikipedia entry for BagelBagelBagelBagel.

That would be a parroty entry.

The brain hurting warning was mine. There are some days, I just don't want to think that hard.Like today. I'm still in my jammies. :) Nursing a cup of coffee. I had a couple of chocolate covered almonds with sea salt for breakfast. It's about time to think about lunch.

Punctuation is also important. I just read this product blurb for an external hard drive:"No external power supply required Leather carrying case included"I never heard of a disk drive requiring a leather carrying case.

And you heard the one about the panda, right?A Panda walks into a bar, orders a hamburder. He finishes the burger, pulls out a gun and shoots the bartender in the leg. The bartender calls out, "Hey, aren't you going to pay for the burger?" The panda replies, "I'm a panda. Look it up." So the bartender pulls out a dictionary, which reads: Panda - eats, shoots, and leaves.

chefann said:
And you heard the one about the panda, right?

A Panda walks into a bar, orders a hamburder. He finishes the burger, pulls out a gun and shoots the bartender in the leg. The bartender calls out, "Hey, aren't you going to pay for the burger?" The panda replies, "I'm a panda. Look it up." So the bartender pulls out a dictionary, which reads: Panda - eats, shoots, and leaves.
You need to leaf ;) the commas out: Panda - eats shoots and leaves.

I also love juxtaposition.FREE TO GOOD HOME: Collie, will eat anything, especially fond of children.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You need to leaf ;) the commas out: Panda - eats shoots and leaves.
That's the joke. The dictionary was misprinted, which changed the entire meaning.

I like that one about the Collie, too. :)

I have a book about punctuation entitled, Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss. It's based on that gag, and this is the book for punctuation nazis.We were both wrong - there has to be a comma after Eats but there should not be a comma before the "and" but write or wrong, it's still a good line.I looked it up in amazon because I was too lazy to go to my bookshelf to get it. I've got a similar book for grammar nazis but I don't remember the title of it.

I've got the Truss book. I love her chapter on the "greengrocer apostrophe." That's one of my pet peeves - people who use an apostrophe to pluralize things.

chefann said:
I've got the Truss book. I love her chapter on the "greengrocer apostrophe." That's one of my pet peeves - people who use an apostrophe to pluralize things.
The ones that bug me are when people interchange:

their / there
then / than
your / you're

There are a few others, but these are the biggies that get me.

To/Too/Two really rub me the wrong way as well.There are a couple of people on the other forum I frequent who are terrible with spelling, capitalization and punctuation. I don't think anyone takes their posts seriously. They read like a semi-intelligent 12 year old wrote them. Not that people don't have occasional typos - we all do. But this guy's posts are all one giant run-on sentence with no caps. DH usually posts the confused smilie in response. I ignore them. If they can't take the time to make sure they are understandable to the rest of the intelligent English-speaking world, then I'm not going to take the time to respond. :D

to two too
there their they're
who whose who's whom
it's its
possessives of proper nouns ending in S
effect affectI h8 people who write U in cl phn txt.

I agree Ann & KG.

When I lived in Hawaii I for an editor at a non-profit agengy and I was always proofing documents from our Asia/Pacific regional offices. Many of these areas used the UK English so I had to change all of those spellings too (they uses 's' in words that we use a 'z' (realise/realize). After looking at those spellings for so long, I had to question myself which one was right! Drove me bonkers. (they also like to use 'whilst' and 'therefore' alot too)

Amongst other colloquialisms. Don't forget U's added into their colourful lingo.("Amongst" is a favorite of mine, actually.)

<h2>1. Can you explain the research mentioned in the email?</h2><p>According to research conducted at Cambridge University, the human mind has the amazing ability to read words even if the letters are jumbled up, as long as the first and last letters are in the correct place. This is because the brain does not read individual letters, but rather the word as a whole. Only 55 out of 100 people are able to read the jumbled words in the email.</p><h2>2. Is it true that only 55% of people can read the jumbled words in the email?</h2><p>No, that statistic is not accurate. The research actually states that 55 out of 100 people can read the jumbled words, which is equivalent to 55% of the participants in the study. This does not necessarily reflect the overall population.</p><h2>3. How does this phenomenon work?</h2><p>The brain is able to quickly recognize patterns and make sense of the words based on context and the first and last letters of the word. This allows us to read and understand words even if the letters are not in the traditional order.</p><h2>4. Is this related to dyslexia?</h2><p>No, this phenomenon is not related to dyslexia. Dyslexia is a learning disorder that affects a person's ability to read, write, and spell. The ability to read jumbled words is a normal function of the human brain.</p><h2>5. Can this be used as a test for intelligence?</h2><p>No, the ability to read jumbled words is not an accurate measure of intelligence. Intelligence is a complex concept that cannot be determined by a single skill or ability. Additionally, reading jumbled words is not a reliable indicator of intelligence as it is influenced by various factors such as language proficiency and familiarity with the words used.</p>

Related to Can You Read This? The Amazing Power of the Human Mind Revealed!

1. Can you explain the research mentioned in the email?

According to research conducted at Cambridge University, the human mind has the amazing ability to read words even if the letters are jumbled up, as long as the first and last letters are in the correct place. This is because the brain does not read individual letters, but rather the word as a whole. Only 55 out of 100 people are able to read the jumbled words in the email.

2. Is it true that only 55% of people can read the jumbled words in the email?

No, that statistic is not accurate. The research actually states that 55 out of 100 people can read the jumbled words, which is equivalent to 55% of the participants in the study. This does not necessarily reflect the overall population.

3. How does this phenomenon work?

The brain is able to quickly recognize patterns and make sense of the words based on context and the first and last letters of the word. This allows us to read and understand words even if the letters are not in the traditional order.

4. Is this related to dyslexia?

No, this phenomenon is not related to dyslexia. Dyslexia is a learning disorder that affects a person's ability to read, write, and spell. The ability to read jumbled words is a normal function of the human brain.

5. Can this be used as a test for intelligence?

No, the ability to read jumbled words is not an accurate measure of intelligence. Intelligence is a complex concept that cannot be determined by a single skill or ability. Additionally, reading jumbled words is not a reliable indicator of intelligence as it is influenced by various factors such as language proficiency and familiarity with the words used.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• whiteyteresa
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PamperedDor
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC